PDA

View Full Version : Popovich’s Double Standard With Duncan, Ginobili May Have Just Cost Spurs the title

hater
06-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Up until the last half-minute of the fourth quarter in Miami’s 103-100 overtime win in Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday, Popovich had thoroughly outcoached Spoelstra in ways that not even a monster quarter by LeBron James could overcome. Despite building a 10-point lead after three quarters, the Spurs were tight and fatigued, and it was only due the defensive scheme masterfully crafted by Popovich and the heroic shot-making of Tony Parker that the Spurs were still protecting a five-point edge with less than 30 seconds to play. The Spurs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in stunning fashion, and while any San Antonio player getting one more defensive rebound would have rendered it all moot, Popovich’s decision to bench Tim Duncan on two crucial defensive possessions deserves as much blame as any Spurs player warrants for not boxing out.

In a sense, sitting Duncan with the Spurs clinging to a five-point with 28 seconds left and then a three-point lead with 19 seconds left was the right move. The Heat needed to take 3-pointers in those situations, and inserting a more mobile defender made sense, by the book, compared to sticking a 37-year-old 7-footer on the perimeter to try to defend a shooter. The problem was, taking Duncan off the floor also removed the Spurs’ best rebounder, not to mention the greatest player in franchise history and a four-time champ. Duncan has shown in this series that he can guard wing and backcourt players in brief situations, even elite ones like James or Dwyane Wade. What’s more, Duncan has been there before. Somehow, he would have found a way not to make a fool of himself, and he sure would have helped on the glass when James missed a three at the beginning of each of those possessions. “Well, Duncan’s past performance may matter to you and I,” you might counter, “but Popovich doesn’t deal in sentiment. Pop calls the number of the player who is best able to do the job at that moment. He trusts whichever player is capable of the task in that situation, regardless of sentiment.”

That might be a worthy argument, if Popovich had not spent the entire game — if not the entire series — giving exactly that kind of leash to Manu Ginobili. Honestly, take Ginobili — please. (Be sure to tip your waitress.)

He was awful on Tuesday, far worse than he had been in the first four games before his breakout fluke in Game 5. He committed eight turnovers, three more than all of his teammates combined. The game effectively ended, unsurprisingly, with Ginobili driving into a gaggle of defenders in the lane with two seconds left in overtime. After Ginobili had jogged his way into an uncalled traveling violation and turned the ball over anyway, he had the gall to complain about getting fouled, conveniently forgetting that he had taken approximately 17 steps before any contact occurred. Through it all, Popovich stuck with Ginobili, even though Neal was playing at least as well (or at least not as terribly) and Boris Diaw had proven he could play alongside Duncan while still allowing the Spurs to protect the perimeter. There was no explanation for Ginobili’s persistent presence in the game besides Popovich’s attachment to him and the trust Ginobili has instilled in his coach in winning three rings. In a way, it was understandable. Popovich is not the first coach to stubbornly stick with his fading star even when reason suggests he should do otherwise. But in this case, Popovich chose the wrong legend to trust and the wrong legend to bench. The Spurs did hold a nearly insurmountable lead with 28 seconds left in regulation, so playing Ginobili did not necessarily cost the Spurs the win in Game 6. But not playing Duncan in the clutch may have just cost the Spurs a championship.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/06/gregg-popovichs-double-standard-with-tim-duncan-manu-ginobili-may-have-just-cost-spurs-a-championship/

Knoxxx
06-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Yawn...

HI-FI
06-24-2013, 05:44 PM
we're going to be thinking this one over for a long time. ultimately both sides made their share of mistakes, Parker went into heroball too much (per par), but I think Pop and Manu shit the bed the most at key moments. Just hope we can learn from this and get better.

SenorSpur
06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
I can't argue against the points of the OP.

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
How original. Another Pop hating thread. Gee I haven't seen any of these before!

spurraider21
06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Ok

What course of action do you recommend tbh?

ThaBigFundamental21
06-24-2013, 05:59 PM
This will haunt me for a lifetime. I kid you not. I will never get over or agree with the choice to put Duncan on the bench in the waning seconds of a title game. I don't give a fuck what the situation is. Leave your best player in the game. For all of you who say Parker is the best player on this team.....whatever. I'm not going to touch that. Timmy should have been in, he is our best Defensive player, and best rebounder. Sounds exactly like the wrong guy to bench in a time when you need Defense, and a rebound. Pop fucked up. We all know it. It's over now. The pain isn't, and the pain will be ever present if Timmy and the Spurs don't get another ring. The front office better be smart as this is the most money they have had to play with in a long long time. We need to get a real big man over here to put next to Timmy. If we don't do that, we sure as hell better get Andre Iguodala over here. Those are the only 2 scenarios I see the Spurs getting back to the finals. Getting A.I., or getting a real big. Be it Jefferson, Howard, Josh Smith, Aldridge, whoever. Get one of these dudes over here. I don't care how unlikely it is, the Spurs front office needs to work some magic and get us a difference maker. Someone wants to shed salary, someone is a FA. MAKE IT HAPPEN SAN ANTONIO!

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2013, 05:59 PM

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2013, 06:00 PM
How original. Another Pop hating thread. Gee I haven't seen any of these before!I knew you were a Manu lover. Now I see why you hate me so much.

Hater, I love the way you think. Thanks a lot for this thread. Keep it up. :toast

LakerHater
06-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Problem is, Tim wouldntve been chasin perimiter guys! Bosh was down low so thats where Tim woulda been!!!

Instead pop puts Boris Diaw in, WTF!?

Kool Bob Love
06-24-2013, 06:04 PM
We win as a team and lose as a team.

And come on OP its been 4 days since. Get over it already. Move on. Nothing is gonna change the past phaggot.

LakerHater
06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Hater, I love the way you think. Thanks a lot for this thread. Keep it up. :toast

by Ben Watanabe (http://nesn.com/ben-watanabe/)

http://nesn.com/2013/06/gregg-popovichs-double-standard-with-tim-duncan-manu-ginobili-may-have-just-cost-spurs-a-championship/

ElNono
06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
:lol this is a guy that was literally a shot/rebound/freebie away to write a piece on Pop's greatness and legacy...

that's why Pop doesn't pay attention to these buffoons...

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 06:29 PM
I knew you were a Manu lover. Now I see why you hate me so much.

Yes, I am a Manu lover. Shame on me for being a fan of one of the Spurs' all-time greats!

Seriously what kind of a fan wishes injury on one of their star players. You have such irrational hate.

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 06:32 PM
And the OP of this thread is a buffoon. If that lineup did what it was planned to do by Pop (which HAS worked very well before), I would love to see the OP write a Pop hate thread!

Fvcking idiot.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Yes, I am a Manu lover. Shame on me for being a fan of one of the Spurs' all-time greats!

Seriously what kind of a fan wishes injury on one of their star players. You have such irrational hate.

I am right here with you on the Manu love!!! I will always love him. He messed up, had a bad series. He is getting old, and I will miss him when he is gone. But he played with fire and intensity, he wanted it badly and that may have been his downfall. I love the passion. He can't carry the load, part of that is on him for trying to do to much, party is on the FO for not seeing it earlier and doing something about it.

houston spurs fan
06-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Up until the last half-minute of the fourth quarter in Miami’s 103-100 overtime win in Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday, Popovich had thoroughly outcoached Spoelstra in ways that not even a monster quarter by LeBron James could overcome. Despite building a 10-point lead after three quarters, the Spurs were tight and fatigued, and it was only due the defensive scheme masterfully crafted by Popovich and the heroic shot-making of Tony Parker that the Spurs were still protecting a five-point edge with less than 30 seconds to play. The Spurs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in stunning fashion, and while any San Antonio player getting one more defensive rebound would have rendered it all moot, Popovich’s decision to bench Tim Duncan on two crucial defensive possessions deserves as much blame as any Spurs player warrants for not boxing out.

In a sense, sitting Duncan with the Spurs clinging to a five-point with 28 seconds left and then a three-point lead with 19 seconds left was the right move. The Heat needed to take 3-pointers in those situations, and inserting a more mobile defender made sense, by the book, compared to sticking a 37-year-old 7-footer on the perimeter to try to defend a shooter. The problem was, taking Duncan off the floor also removed the Spurs’ best rebounder, not to mention the greatest player in franchise history and a four-time champ. Duncan has shown in this series that he can guard wing and backcourt players in brief situations, even elite ones like James or Dwyane Wade. What’s more, Duncan has been there before. Somehow, he would have found a way not to make a fool of himself, and he sure would have helped on the glass when James missed a three at the beginning of each of those possessions. “Well, Duncan’s past performance may matter to you and I,” you might counter, “but Popovich doesn’t deal in sentiment. Pop calls the number of the player who is best able to do the job at that moment. He trusts whichever player is capable of the task in that situation, regardless of sentiment.”

That might be a worthy argument, if Popovich had not spent the entire game — if not the entire series — giving exactly that kind of leash to Manu Ginobili. Honestly, take Ginobili — please. (Be sure to tip your waitress.)

He was awful on Tuesday, far worse than he had been in the first four games before his breakout fluke in Game 5. He committed eight turnovers, three more than all of his teammates combined. The game effectively ended, unsurprisingly, with Ginobili driving into a gaggle of defenders in the lane with two seconds left in overtime. After Ginobili had jogged his way into an uncalled traveling violation and turned the ball over anyway, he had the gall to complain about getting fouled, conveniently forgetting that he had taken approximately 17 steps before any contact occurred. Through it all, Popovich stuck with Ginobili, even though Neal was playing at least as well (or at least not as terribly) and Boris Diaw had proven he could play alongside Duncan while still allowing the Spurs to protect the perimeter. There was no explanation for Ginobili’s persistent presence in the game besides Popovich’s attachment to him and the trust Ginobili has instilled in his coach in winning three rings. In a way, it was understandable. Popovich is not the first coach to stubbornly stick with his fading star even when reason suggests he should do otherwise. But in this case, Popovich chose the wrong legend to trust and the wrong legend to bench. The Spurs did hold a nearly insurmountable lead with 28 seconds left in regulation, so playing Ginobili did not necessarily cost the Spurs the win in Game 6. But not playing Duncan in the clutch may have just cost the Spurs a championship.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/06/gregg-popovichs-double-standard-with-tim-duncan-manu-ginobili-may-have-just-cost-spurs-a-championship/
Hater is irrelevant on this site. Same guy who told us Duncan was finished in 2011 and had RJ as his favorite player in Spurs history. Who cares what his takes are. No need to take this thread seriously.

Kidd K
06-24-2013, 06:45 PM
While everyone's whining about "this thread again", the fact remains that OP is bang on accurate.

Popovich does not coach Ginobili the same way he does everyone else. He is given preferential treatment no matter how bad he's playing. And no, this is not hindsight, because mid-game you could tell Manu didn't have it. I was thinking Pop needed to bench him for the remainder of the 1st half with about 5-7 minutes to go. THAT early I was wanting Manu benched. And this is despite how good he played in game 5.

Not a knee jerk reaction either. From watching how bad and inconsistent he's been not only throughout the playoffs but to close the season, those of us that have really paid attention knew that Manu doesn't "get it back" once he "doesn't have it" on a particular night. 2 years ago, Manu would get it back. This year? Not very often. When he starts bad, he usually ends bad. I also don't care if he occaisionally hits a shot late in a game after he just bricked 7/8 before that and had 3 turnovers. The one make doesn't make up for all the fuckups even if we win. It'd be his fault we didn't win comfortably instead of need the last shot.

The decisions at the end of game 6 still bum me the fuck out whenever I think about it. Everything about it just seemed wrong. Why take out Duncan? Why have Leonard (bad FT shooter in the postseason) in the game and catching the ball to shoot free throws when we needed BOTH? Why take Duncan out a SECOND TIME when it clearly didn't work the first time? Why ride Manu in OT when he was shitting the bed all night?

Fuckin jesus. Mistake after mistake. And that doesn't even touch on the terrible lineup he started the 4th with.

I rarely blame Pop for anything, but good lord did he fuck up game 6 after the first 3 quarters. Almost every real decision he made didn't work, and as soon as he made them I was questioning them on the spot as being dumb (something I also rarely do since I feel Pop usually makes the right call or at least a logical one). But that game. . .Pop seemed to just throw logic and good coaching out the window and went on emotion and nostalgia.

houston spurs fan
06-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Lol thread.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Just repeating what everyone knows. It's true, Bill Russell said before game 6 that Duncan was the MVP of the team, and his dominant performance in game 6 proved it. Duncan carried the team that game, like hd carried the team to 4 championships. I don't care the situation, in the final seconds of a closeout game of the NBA Finals, ALWAYS stick with Tim Duncan over a player like Boris Diaw.

Destro
06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Pop won't admit he held out TIm to have higher percentage freethrow shooters on the floor. He out-coached himself

Baam
06-25-2013, 09:39 AM
While everyone's whining about "this thread again", the fact remains that OP is bang on accurate.

Popovich does not coach Ginobili the same way he does everyone else. He is given preferential treatment no matter how bad he's playing. And no, this is not hindsight, because mid-game you could tell Manu didn't have it. I was thinking Pop needed to bench him for the remainder of the 1st half with about 5-7 minutes to go. THAT early I was wanting Manu benched. And this is despite how good he played in game 5.

Not a knee jerk reaction either. From watching how bad and inconsistent he's been not only throughout the playoffs but to close the season, those of us that have really paid attention knew that Manu doesn't "get it back" once he "doesn't have it" on a particular night. 2 years ago, Manu would get it back. This year? Not very often. When he starts bad, he usually ends bad. I also don't care if he occaisionally hits a shot late in a game after he just bricked 7/8 before that and had 3 turnovers. The one make doesn't make up for all the fuckups even if we win. It'd be his fault we didn't win comfortably instead of need the last shot.

The decisions at the end of game 6 still bum me the fuck out whenever I think about it. Everything about it just seemed wrong. Why take out Duncan? Why have Leonard (bad FT shooter in the postseason) in the game and catching the ball to shoot free throws when we needed BOTH? Why take Duncan out a SECOND TIME when it clearly didn't work the first time? Why ride Manu in OT when he was shitting the bed all night?

Fuckin jesus. Mistake after mistake. And that doesn't even touch on the terrible lineup he started the 4th with.

I rarely blame Pop for anything, but good lord did he fuck up game 6 after the first 3 quarters. Almost every real decision he made didn't work, and as soon as he made them I was questioning them on the spot as being dumb (something I also rarely do since I feel Pop usually makes the right call or at least a logical one). But that game. . .Pop seemed to just throw logic and good coaching out the window and went on emotion and nostalgia.

Great post and great article.

Bill_Brasky
06-25-2013, 09:58 AM
It's fuckin over. Done. Fin. Move on.

Brazil
06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
He is given preferential treatment no matter how bad he's playing.

stop reading here
stupid take
preferential treatment :lmao

pop played manu off the bench his whole career that's a preferential treatment

If Pop let Manu in the game it's because Manu career is a shit load of shitty or so so games saved by late heroics helping his team winning crucial games or even rings. Of course one day this was meant to not happen anymore but when ? If I'm Pop I also let Manu in the game because dude is the incarnation of willingness to win. Sure it was a mistake but if the Spurs loose with Manu on the bench the board would have been pearl harbor.

dallasmaverickslose
06-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Good Lord let this thread die. OP is an idiot and should never be taken seriously.

Virgil
06-25-2013, 02:26 PM
For a minute there, when I began to read, I thought it was OP who wrote that, and I thought to myself: "Well, well, well, this idiot is not an illetrate after all"... Then I realized it was an article... :depressed

Kidd K
06-26-2013, 06:15 PM
stop reading here
stupid take

If Pop let Manu in the game it's because Manu career is a shit load of shitty or so so games saved by late heroics helping his team winning crucial games or even rings. Of course one day this was meant to not happen anymore but when ? If I'm Pop I also let Manu in the game because dude is the incarnation of willingness to win. Sure it was a mistake but if the Spurs loose with Manu on the bench the board would have been pearl harbor.

Getting tons of touches and playing time despite not being as good as he used to be while Duncan gets benched at the ends of games (game 6 wasn't the only time, it also happened in the Warriors series). While Manu rarely if ever gets benched no matter how bad he's playing unless he's hurt.

And yes it is preferential treatment. The fact that he is kept in the game because of however many instances of "heroics" is a prime example of preferential treatment. It's practically the definition of it. "Well even though he's playing like shit, I'm keeping him in because he can do better".

I don't think Spurs losing with Manu on the bench would've netted the same outrage. Manu had played like shit so it'd make sense for him not to be out there and getting tons of touches. During the season Manu had the 3rd highest USG% (by far higher than #4) yet was 7th on the team in Offensive/defensive rating difference. 2nd worst on the team of the high minutes players with only Neal being worse. Preferential treatment. His playing time and touches do not diminish with bad play.

My takes are always based on stats and things that have recently happened (this season or previous season), not emotion, nostalgia, and opinion like yours seem to be. So saying my takes are shitty, you're basically saying numbers lie and emotion tells the truth. Please.

bklynspursfan
06-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Problem is, Tim wouldntve been chasin perimiter guys! Bosh was down low so thats where Tim woulda been!!!

Instead pop puts Boris Diaw in, WTF!?

But don't you think Miami would use Duncan in a screen & roll situation to have him switch on to someone else? It's like when folks were so upset about Hibbert being benched (though Miami only needed 2 to win that game) Hibbert would've ended up getting screened and switched leaving him guarding one of Miami's corner 3 point shooters away from the basket. It's very possible and likely the same thing happens with Timmy.

LakerHater
06-26-2013, 07:34 PM
But don't you think Miami would use Duncan in a screen & roll situation to have him switch on to someone else? It's like when folks were so upset about Hibbert being benched (though Miami only needed 2 to win that game) Hibbert would've ended up getting screened and switched leaving him guarding one of Miami's corner 3 point shooters away from the basket. It's very possible and likely the same thing happens with Timmy. At the end of that very same game, Spurs had shooters on the court & Chris Bosh went over & blocked danny green's shot to end the game!!
Spo didnt bench his stars in crunch time!

Winners always wanna be in the game in those situations!

bklynspursfan
06-26-2013, 08:04 PM
At the end of that very same game, Spurs had shooters on the court & Chris Bosh went over & blocked danny green's shot to end the game!!
Spo didnt bench his stars in crunch time!

Winners always wanna be in the game in those situations!

Yea I guess... I see both sides of it tbh.. Bosh is also at this point in their careers more spry and is able to react quicker on the perimeter. Maybe Splitter would've been better than Diaw, Splitter was the one playing for Timmy at the end of games against GS at times.

therealtruth
06-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Yea I guess... I see both sides of it tbh.. Bosh is also at this point in their careers more spry and is able to react quicker on the perimeter. Maybe Splitter would've been better than Diaw, Splitter was the one playing for Timmy at the end of games against GS at times.

We saw how Splitter shut down Conley at the end of one of the games against the Grizzlies. He can actually switch on smalls and bother the shot. Also with the Heat needing a 3 he really only had to play for the shot and not the drive.

UZER
06-30-2013, 08:49 AM
What if the spurs didnt even go for the rebound and let the heat go get it if they want to while everyone stays along the three point line? If they get the rebound and score the layup, who cares. But since they need a three, you let them go get the rebound and make them come back out to you while you're sealing off the three poi nt line.

Its backwards, I know, but think about. Instead of scrambling for the long rebounds then scrambling to cover the three, just stay at the three point line and seal it off when they try to come back out.

Capt Bringdown
06-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Worst moment in Spurs history (improbably blowing a 5-pt lead with 28 seconds left and the championship in the bag), perhaps the biggest NBA finals choke of all-time. A turning point in NBA history as well, as LeBron's legacy is rescued & Duncan walks away wondering what might have been. The dream of 3 titles in 3 decades pissed away by Pop's impossibly bad coaching decisions and the careless, choking hands of Manu.

Both Pop and Manu have earned the accolades, but they have also earned the dishonor of these horrible blunders.

I don't see any other coaching legend making those mistakes...do you?

UZER
06-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Worst moment in Spurs history (improbably blowing a 5-pt lead with 28 seconds left and the championship in the bag), perhaps the biggest NBA finals choke of all-time. A turning point in NBA history as well, as LeBron's legacy is rescued & Duncan walks away wondering what might have been. The dream of 3 titles in 3 decades pissed away by Pop's impossibly bad coaching decisions and the careless, choking hands of Manu.

Both Pop and Manu have earned the accolades, but they have also earned the dishonor of these horrible blunders.

I don't see any other coaching legend making those mistakes...do you?

Like unicron rescuing Megatron, pop singlehandedly rescued lebron. Dude was staring into the abyss at the beginning of the 4th of game 6. He looked completely dumbfounded as his legacy was about to be pushed into oblivion. He looked like we wanted to crawl under a rock.If you don't believe me, go watch the tape.

Pop put in the stupid 4th qtr line-up which started the cpr, and the rest is now LeBrons legacy, when he should have been history. If LeBron goes on to win more titles, pop should get some of those royalties for saving his career, because he was not recovering from that finals loss.

Baam
06-30-2013, 09:34 AM
If he has any decency he's gonna retire.

Capt Bringdown
06-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Like unicron rescuing Megatron, pop singlehandedly rescued lebron. Dude was staring into the abyss at the beginning of the 4th of game 6. He looked completely dumbfounded as his legacy was about to be pushed into oblivion. He looked like we wanted to crawl under a rock.If you don't believe me, go watch the tape.

Unfortunately, I don't need to watch the tape - that image is burned into my brain. Credit to him and the Heat that they made the most of the gifts given to them by Pop and Manu.

Sucks to be on the wrong end of such a dramatic turnaround. You don't get many chances to make history.
It really was a moment of no return for all concerned, perhaps even more final for the Spurs. The TD era Spurs will never again return to the finals and LeBron's legacy will likely never again be in doubt.

james evans
06-30-2013, 11:56 AM

it was the worst display of coaching i've seen by a great coach in the finals since jackson in 2004 letting kobe shoot the lakers out of the series. it's like he just didn't give a damn. i'll ask again, how does popovich get duncan to listen to him next season while knowing he FUKED UP a title with bad coaching?

still.focused
06-30-2013, 12:56 PM
stop reading here
stupid take

Willingness alone doesnt amount to anything. It must be accompanied by ability
And thats where Manu is deficient at this point in his career
Our best line ups DO NOT include Manu Ginobili
Nobody woulda gave a fuck if Manu was on the bench because his play didnt warrant him bein on the court
Btw Spurs lost Game 6 with TD(Top 10 player of all-time) on the bench AND Game 7 with TP(Our MVP) on the bench

Johnny RIngo
06-30-2013, 01:09 PM
If Pop let Manu in the game it's because Manu career is a shit load of shitty or so so games saved by late heroics helping his team winning crucial games or even rings. Of course one day this was meant to not happen anymore but when ?

How about the year where Manu is putting up career low playoff numbers and is relegated to 5th option on offense?

HI-FI
06-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Every time I read a thread like this I think it will make me feel better but it doesn't. Just brings up a lot of anger at what could've been.

Pop made some mistakes, but damn, if Manu played halfway decent then we aren't even having this conversation. I can blame Pop for out coaching himself but I can see why he stuck with Manu. It may not have been the logical choice but he probably thought manu still had some mojo left. Even I didn't think he was that done. Shit....this is going to be the longest offseason.

Kidd K
06-30-2013, 03:43 PM
it was the worst display of coaching i've seen by a great coach in the finals since jackson in 2004 letting kobe shoot the lakers out of the series. it's like he just didn't give a damn. i'll ask again, how does popovich get duncan to listen to him next season while knowing he FUKED UP a title with bad coaching?

Honestly, if (and big if) The Spurs get back into a situation like that, no doubt Duncan tells Pop to go fuck himself and stays out on the floor.

Honestly, the more you think about those last plays in game 6, the dumber it seems. Pop wanted to sit Duncan while he was winning his 5th title during his best game of the Finals (and possibly of the playoffs). Dude sat his best defender and best rebounder for the two most important possessions where you need a stop and a rebound. Just a mega retarded decision all around.

Pop isn't even close to a shitty coach, but the guy made some of the worst decisions of his career at the end of game 6. Manu is more to blame for that loss obviously, but Pop was trying to get too cute with it and micromanage for no reason. You're up 5 with less than 30 seconds left. You don't need to micromanage, you need to have your best guys out there.

therealtruth
06-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Honestly, if (and big if) The Spurs get back into a situation like that, no doubt Duncan tells Pop to go fuck himself and stays out on the floor.

Honestly, the more you think about those last plays in game 6, the dumber it seems. Pop wanted to sit Duncan while he was winning his 5th title during his best game of the Finals (and possibly of the playoffs). Dude sat his best defender and best rebounder for the two most important possessions where you need a stop and a rebound. Just a mega retarded decision all around.

Pop isn't even close to a shitty coach, but the guy made some of the worst decisions of his career at the end of game 6. Manu is more to blame for that loss obviously, but Pop was trying to get too cute with it and micromanage for no reason. You're up 5 with less than 30 seconds left. You don't need to micromanage, you need to have your best guys out there.

Sometimes the obvious decision really is the right decision. We wouldn't be talking about Pop if he had just let Tim play. You know Tim would have come up with a defensive play in that position. He was playing his heart out.

The Heat were down 5. They didn't necessarily need a 3. They needed the best available shot. The Spurs simply needed to make one more defensive stop. Pop should have played the best defensive lineup. Spoelstra outcoached Pop by getting him to forget about defense and rebounding. We saw what the Spurs can do when they are focused on defense. They closed out games against the Grizzlies that way. Instead Pop was reacting more to what Spoelstra was doing.

HemisfairArena
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM

BINGO! This is what I have been trying to get across to Pop lovers. Do you think Phil Jackson would ever bench Jordan or Kobe up by 5 with 28 seconds to go to win a title? Or Riley would bench Magic or Kareem? Or Tomjanovich would bench Hakeem? It was beyond ridiculous. The most disrespect a top 10 player of All Time has ever experienced on the biggest stage in NBA history.

therealtruth
06-30-2013, 07:42 PM
BINGO! This is what I have been trying to get across to Pop lovers. Do you think Phil Jackson would ever bench Jordan or Kobe up by 5 with 28 seconds to go to win a title? Or Riley would bench Magic or Kareem? Or Tomjanovich would bench Hakeem? It was beyond ridiculous. The most disrespect a top 10 player of All Time has ever experienced on the biggest stage in NBA history.

If Rudy benches Olajuwon in game 6 in '94 they probably lose the game. He had a huge block on Starks. Duncan could also have had an iconic defensive play if he was allowed to play.

Baam
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
I pretty sure Tim still has trouble sleeping because of the crap Pop pulled.

TheGreatYacht
07-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Sometimes the obvious decision really is the right decision. We wouldn't be talking about Pop if he had just let Tim play. You know Tim would have come up with a defensive play in that position. He was playing his heart out.
The Heat were down 5. They didn't necessarily need a 3. They needed the best available shot. The Spurs simply needed to make one more defensive stop. Pop should have played the best defensive lineup. Spoelstra outcoached Pop by getting him to forget about defense and rebounding. We saw what the Spurs can do when they are focused on defense. They closed out games against the Grizzlies that way. Instead Pop was reacting more to what Spoelstra was doing.

If Rudy benches Olajuwon in game 6 in '94 they probably lose the game. He had a huge block on Starks. Duncan could also have had an iconic defensive play if he was allowed to play.Bump. None of the Popsuckers and Manu worshippers replied back so I guess we've finally won the argument.
http://images.wikia.com/vampirediaries/images/5/5d/Bbt_celebration-gif_medium.gif

Proxy
07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Bump. None of the Popsuckers and Manu worshippers replied back so I guess we've finally won the argument.
http://images.wikia.com/vampirediaries/images/5/5d/Bbt_celebration-gif_medium.gif

We get it. You're fickle. Please, stop you're obsessive bitching.