PDA

View Full Version : For all you richers out there...

LnGrrrR
06-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Where the hell are you putting your money? Is there anything earning more than 2 to 3% that isn't super risky?

scroteface
06-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Put it in guns and ammunition

CosmicCowboy
06-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Meh...I could be fucking up but I'm putting money in real estate (and my business). I wouldn't touch international stocks with a 10 foot pole until China stabilizes. I see a big correction coming there. You could probably ride the US stock market for another 6 months or so but you need to get out the door before the stampede when Bernake and the Fed quit pumping 85 billion a month into the banks. If you see unemployment jump below 7.% run, don't walk, for the door. I could see a 40% correction in the US market from these artificial highs. Stay the hell away from bonds of all types as interest rates are inevitably going up and current bonds will suck big time. If you are young and energetic you might consider looking at foreclosures in your area, getting a good deal, and locking in a good low rate now, fix it up and rent it. Let the rent cover the payments and overhead while you build equity and inflation inevitably is on your side. Get in a bind you can sell it.

CosmicCowboy
06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Put it in guns and ammunition

Bad timing. They are all finally coming down some.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Where the hell are you putting your money? Is there anything earning more than 2 to 3% that isn't super risky?

Domestic blue chip dividend payers and emerging market bond funds.

JMO, of course.....

angrydude
06-24-2013, 07:21 PM

How unamerican of you wanting to save your money.

You're supposed to be buying ipads. Increase demand asshole.

LnGrrrR
06-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Domestic blue chip dividend payers and emerging market bond funds.

JMO, of course.....

Ok, now pretend you are speaking to a poor person and lets try that again.

LnGrrrR
06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh and CC, Im leery of getting into real estate, what with being military and moving around/deploying.

Nbadan
06-25-2013, 12:29 AM
....real estate and water rights...

Rogue
06-25-2013, 01:06 AM
I ain't having no money but if i had some, I would put all my money somewhere the government can't tax on it. Real estate market has been a bad investment for years now. My goddess purchased a house in north LA with her then-husband in 08 but she's already listed it for sale now, at about 3/4 of the price she brought it.

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2013, 01:29 AM
isnt interest rates rising in america....

they better past that on to depositers....

sjacquemotte
06-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Oh and CC, Im leery of getting into real estate, what with being military and moving around/deploying.
I met alot of guys in 10 who have two houses paid off already. They rent them, and then pay more. Got it paid off (mainly because they had a 15 yr fixed mortgage). The TSP is probably the best plan for you. You have an emergency relief fund person on your base. That person is usually a finance lawyer. I would ask them how to set up a TSP to pay out the best. But Dave Ramsey always says that mutual funds are your best bet and if your mutual fund isn't giving you 13% or more then to get a new one. I've always done a S&P 500 index fund.

LnGrrrR
06-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm already contributing to my TSP, but I don't think I'm hitting the cap yet. I'll have to see. Thanks for the reminder.

Wild Cobra
06-26-2013, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I'm already contributing to my TSP, but I don't think I'm hitting the cap yet. I'll have to see. Thanks for the reminder.
You will not hit the cap unless you are over 50 and contribute extra. Not on a military wage...

I hope you do put the full 15% in.

LnGrrrR
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Nah, like you said, not on military wages. :)

Wild Cobra
06-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Nah, like you said, not on military wages. :)
I used to hit max contribution around Thanksgiving each year in both my 401k, and SS insurance. haven't done that since 2001. I just don't make as much as I used to.

I finally make 90.1% of what I made in 2001, but that is not indexed for inflation/cost of living.