PDA

View Full Version : Column: The Doctrine of Duncan

MarkTravis
06-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry for not coming around here lately. The Caller-Times has put up a paywall for most online articles now and I wasn't sure if any of you guys had a subscription to the paper.

Anyways, the recently told me that I could post my articles on my website as well, so here is a column I wrote today on Duncan, his legacy with the Spurs and the first time I saw him as human.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

http://butthegameison.com/3476/the-doctrine-of-duncan/

MarkTravis
06-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Fixed the link. Let me know what you guys think.

StoneBuddha
06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks for posting. It was pretty heart wrenching watching Duncan afterwards. Sigh...

Spur|n|Austin
06-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Solid read.

boutons_deux
06-25-2013, 02:42 PM
good writing, congrats, kid

cannot find any reference in your article or in the Wikipedia article about Duncan's father, alive or dead?

MarkTravis
06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
good writing, congrats, kid

cannot find any reference in your article or in the Wikipedia article about Duncan's father, alive or dead?

Interesting, didn't think of connecting this. Looks like Duncan's father passed away in 2002.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=3223

Knoxxx
06-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Good job overall. This paragraph was a weak point for me though:

"Now I’m not sure what the future holds for Duncan, who will be 38 years old next season. Though Manu Ginobili looked like a shell of himself this post-season, I still think the Spurs are a top-four team in the West next season pending the free agency decisions they make. With the addition of a true back-up point guard and perhaps a Tiago Splitter replacement, the Spurs could probably go for another 50-win season. Then again, the West should be more competitive next year with the return of Westbrook and Kobe, a potential Howard-to-Houston scenario and the forming of the Los Angeles Celtics, so the Spurs would likely have a tougher path to the Finals than they had this year."

If the Spurs replace Splitter it more likely will be an upgrade that makes them the odds on favorites in the West and win 60 games. Worst case is we bring back the same team with 50 wins more like a floor than a ceiling. You are far too kind to our rivals prospects as well, outside of Howard to Houston which would trouble me a bit. Afraid of the LA Celtics?!? Seriously?!?

Also "phlegmatic" should never be used in a sports story. I have an advanced degree and don't even know what the hell that means!?!

MarkTravis
06-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Good job overall. This paragraph was a weak point for me though:

"Now I’m not sure what the future holds for Duncan, who will be 38 years old next season. Though Manu Ginobili looked like a shell of himself this post-season, I still think the Spurs are a top-four team in the West next season pending the free agency decisions they make. With the addition of a true back-up point guard and perhaps a Tiago Splitter replacement, the Spurs could probably go for another 50-win season. Then again, the West should be more competitive next year with the return of Westbrook and Kobe, a potential Howard-to-Houston scenario and the forming of the Los Angeles Celtics, so the Spurs would likely have a tougher path to the Finals than they had this year."

If the Spurs replace Splitter it more likely will be an upgrade that makes them the odds on favorites in the West and win 60 games. Worst case is we bring back the same team with 50 wins more like a floor than a ceiling. You are far too kind to our rivals prospects as well, outside of Howard to Houston which would trouble me a bit. Afraid of the LA Celtics?!? Seriously?!?

Also "phlegmatic" should never be used in a sports story. I have an advanced degree and don't even know what the hell that means!?!

Thanks for your feedback. The Clippers won 56 games last season with one of the worst coaches in the league, one that quite literally did not have an offensive system developed. Doc Rivers is one of the five best coaches in the league and with the potential additions of Afflalo (via trade for Bledsoe), Garnett/Pierce and a free agent veteran or two, they will be a serious threat in the Western Conference.

Calling someone "phlegmatic" means they have a calm or tranquil disposition.

Knoxxx
06-25-2013, 06:42 PM
The Clippers won 56 games last season with one of the worst coaches in the league

My bad we've been beating Paul and Griffin with so much regularity and ease they haven't made it into my "serious threat" category. I guess if they ever win a playoff game I may start to worry.