PDA

View Full Version : Europe: More spectacular 2013 Finals Game 6 choke: Spurs vs Bruins

Venti Quattro
06-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Who have you got?

midnightpulp
06-24-2013, 10:11 PM
17 seconds

No matter how many titles Boston sports teams win, they'll always find new ways to torture their fans.

Not sure what is the bigger choke, though.

lakerhaterade
06-24-2013, 10:16 PM
17 seconds, not even close

it's unthinkable to score TWICE in a 17 second span in Hockey imho

midnightpulp
06-24-2013, 10:17 PM
17 seconds, not even close

it's unthinkable to score TWICE in a 17 second span in Hockey imho

Adding even more pain is the fact it was at home.

irishock
06-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Bruins would lose game 7 anyway. Had no gas left in the tank. Spurs were literally seconds away from title #5.

midnightpulp
06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
And Game 6's are Satan personified.

Buckner
Bartman
The Rangers collapse
28 seconds
17 seconds

Clipper Nation
06-24-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm actually going to have to say the Bruins choked worse..... the Spurs at least had one last chance to win the Finals, the Bruins let up 2 goals in 15 seconds at the last minute to lose the series on home ice :lol

Bill_Brasky
06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Considering what was on the line it's probably the Spurs. Only thing that outdoes them imo is Rangers in '11. They were a strike from their first taste of the promised land and had it wrestled away by them Cards(LOL Pujols being a piece of shit since).

This was bad though.

jeebus
06-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Spurs lost to an incredibly inferior Miami team and therefore had the better choke job.

midnightpulp
06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Considering what was on the line it's probably the Spurs. Only thing that outdoes them imo is Rangers in '11. They were a strike from their first taste of the promised land and had it wrestled away by them Cards(LOL Pujols being a piece of shit since).

This was bad though.

The shitty thing for Bruins fans is they won't get the closure of a game 7. They'll torment themselves with a forever "what if?"

lefty
06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Tsarnaev is fuckn clutch TBH

Bill_Brasky
06-24-2013, 10:35 PM
The shitty thing for Bruins fans is they won't get the closure of a game 7. They'll torment themselves with a forever "what if?"

If hockey Finals have the same format as the NBA then i definitely agree.

Jacob1983
06-24-2013, 11:37 PM
What's harder: holding a 1 goal lead in hockey or making two free throws in the final minute of an NBA Finals game?

Mal
06-25-2013, 01:45 AM
What's harder: holding a 1 goal lead in hockey or making two free throws in the final minute of an NBA Finals game?

One rebound would cliched it too. :depressed

DeadlyDynasty
06-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Has to be San Antonio. At no point did the Bruins have the Cup in their grasp. The LOB was making its way to the floor and the court was being roped off when 28 happened. As mentioned earlier, only the '86 Red Sox and '11 Rangers know a shittier feeling

midnightpulp
06-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Has to be San Antonio. At no point did the Bruins have the Cup in their grasp. The LOB was making its way to the floor and the court was being roped off when 28 happened. As mentioned earlier, only the '86 Red Sox and '11 Rangers know a shittier feeling

'04 Yankees, '07 Pats, and Bartman know a shittier feeling, as well.

Jacob1983
06-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Norwood

DeadlyDynasty
06-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Even though the 2004 Yankees and 2003 Cubs/Steve Bartman had massive chokejobs, those both occured before the main event. 2007 Pats is as close to the other 3 as you can get, and might even belong there.

Norwood
Horrible, but definitely not in line with the Top 3 of Feliz/Cruz, Manu/Pop, and Schiraldi/Buckner. Those 3 had a # of inexplicable things go catastrophically wrong to lose a sure-fire championship.

You could argue the Pats as well, what with the Tyree catch, Samuel's missed INT, etc...but the Giants were always one play away from either tying or leading--throughout the night. Those other 3 needed to squander multiple runs or possessions in the midst of a championship

midnightpulp
06-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Even though the 2004 Yankees and 2003 Cubs/Steve Bartman had massive chokejobs, those both occured before the main event. 2007 Pats is as close to the other 3 as you can get, and might even belong there.

Horrible, but definitely not in line with the Top 3 of Feliz/Cruz, Manu/Pop, and Schiraldi/Buckner. Those 3 had a # of inexplicable things go catastrophically wrong to lose a sure-fire championship.

You could argue the Pats as well, what with the Tyree catch, Samuel's missed INT, etc...but the Giants were always one play away from either tying or leading--throughout the night. Those other 3 needed to squander multiple runs or possessions in the midst of a championship

Considering the Cubs' history, that might as well have been the main event. Amplifying the pain in the 18-1 debacle is the fact the Patriots were so close to obtaining the holy grail of North American sports accomplishments and managed to let it slip away. Also have to credit the Giants for stepping up at the right time. The Manning-to-Tyree catch was equivalent to the Bosh-to-Allen sequence.

They weren't worse chokejobs, but probably comparatively more painful for their fanbases considering the circumstances.

I also disagree that Norwood choked. He wasn't a very good kicker from that distance. Similarly, I also don't think the Spurs choked at the FT line. Manu hit 3/4 down the stretch, and for Leonard to go 1 for 2 in that situation, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, was about all you can ask for. The Spurs choked defensively. Too many of them got caught watching the ball and didn't box out. Green also inexplicably lost James in the sequence that led to him hitting the first 3. And of course Manu choked with his turnovers and Pop with his decision making.

ezau
06-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Most disappointing season:

2013 LA Lakers or.... oh wait. There's nothing to compare the Lakers to :lmao

Jacob1983
06-25-2013, 02:54 AM
Manu and Leonard choked big time. Going 50 percent on 4 free throw attempts in the last minute? That's choking especially since they are both good free throw shooters.

DeadlyDynasty
06-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Most disappointing season:

2013 LA Lakers or.... oh wait. There's nothing to compare the Lakers to :lmao
:lolRemember det yellow rope around the court at the end of Game 6? betchoo wish you had 6 feet of it at the end of that game, amirite?

irishock
06-25-2013, 03:49 AM
:lolRemember det yellow rope around the court at the end of Game 6? betchoo wish you had 6 feet of it at the end of that game, amirite?

:lol as if the Lakers had the achilles to start a race

dg7md
06-25-2013, 05:17 AM
Bruins just because it's mostly unheard of to score that much in hockey so soon to end the series on.

We still had a game 7 to make it up. Sure, we won game 6 and choked it away, but we still had another shot.

Bruins got shafted far worse tbh because the whole series ended on that.

Had Game 6 been the true end of the series, then yes, all-time choke.

AchillesHeel
06-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Bruins just because it's mostly unheard of to score that much in hockey so soon to end the series on.

We still had a game 7 to make it up. Sure, we won game 6 and choked it away, but we still had another shot.

Bruins got shafted far worse tbh because the whole series ended on that.

Had Game 6 been the true end of the series, then yes, all-time choke.

Or had it happened in Game 7

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 06:22 AM

1997 Indians? Franchise hadn't won a WS since 1948, city hadn't won a championship since 1964 and they were two outs away. IIRC they'd already sealed off the lockers with plastic, wheeled in the champagne, the whole bit.

midnightpulp
06-25-2013, 06:49 AM
1997 Indians? Franchise hadn't won a WS since 1948, city hadn't won a championship since 1964 and they were two outs away. IIRC they'd already sealed off the lockers with plastic, wheeled in the champagne, the whole bit.

Oh yeah. Don't know how I forgot that one.

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 06:54 AM
I also disagree that Norwood choked. He wasn't a very good kicker from that distance.

Buffalo choked that game away in the second quarter when they had a 12-3 lead and the ball in Giants' territory on two separate occasions and failed to score. If they scored a touchdown to make it 19-3 that game would have been over by halftime. There is no way the Giants, with a backup quarterback and an offense predicated on running the ball and grinding out the clock, would have been able to overcome a 16-point deficit. Not to mention that large a deficit would have also bankrupted Belichick's defensive strategy, which involved practically conceding the run and baiting Jim Kelly into throwing into coverage. Should have never come down to Norwood trying a 47-yard field goal on grass.

LkrFan
06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Spurs hands down. Who watches hockey? Nobody I know. :lol

LnGrrrR
06-25-2013, 08:22 AM
It's funny to hear everyone who never watches hockey all of a sudden act like they're experts.

Even if Boston had only let one goal in, it would be going to OT where they could've lost. Not to mention that there was still a Game 7 to play. (And yes, I'd be a lot more pissed if it was Game 7.)

Whereas the Spurs had to grab a rebound once to pretty much seal the championship away. And they had two chances to do so. Anyone who says "Bruins" here is retarded, frankly. (Fwiw, once Quenneville decided to stop being an idiot and put Toews/Kane on the same line, Bruins had no answer. Chara and Seids had bad series.)

LnGrrrR
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
As Irishock noted, the Bruins were out of gas. And yes, it does suck to lose the Cup on home ice. I at least wish we could've held serve and got beaten in Chicago, considering how good we were at the Garden this year.

LkrFan
06-25-2013, 08:27 AM
It's funny to hear everyone who never watches hockey all of a sudden act like they're experts.

Even if Boston had only let one goal in, it would be going to OT where they could've lost. Not to mention that there was still a Game 7 to play. (And yes, I'd be a lot more pissed if it was Game 7.)

Whereas the Spurs had to grab a rebound once to pretty much seal the championship away. And they had two chances to do so. Anyone who says "Bruins" here is retarded, frankly. (Fwiw, once Quenneville decided to stop being an idiot and put Toews/Kane on the same line, Bruins had no answer. Chara and Seids had bad series.)
:lolK - one hockey fan ^ - I stand corrected. I bet a boring ass preseason Spur game drew higher ratings than det NHL game 6. :lol

resistanze
06-25-2013, 08:32 AM
The Bruins would've been worse if it had happened in a game 7. But the Bruins weren't playing for the Stanley Cup last night - they were playing to stay alive. 28 is worse.

LnGrrrR
06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Cmon LkrFan, you know you were wearing your "Los Kings" jersey last year :lol

JamStone
06-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Choking a game you had in hand that could have won a championship seems like a bigger choke than choking away a game you had in hand that could push the series to a 7th game.

If the Spurs win game 6, they win the title. If the Bruins win game 6, they could still lose and not win a championship. Seems pretty simple which should seem bigger.

LkrFan
06-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Nah bruh. I can't even ice skate. Tried that shit once. Almost broke my ankles, and at least five 3-year olds passed me up several times. Shit was embarrassing as fuck tbh. I don't know how those aggressive figure skaters do it in the NHL. :lol

midnightpulp
06-25-2013, 08:41 AM

I don't know much about hockey (stopped following it after Super Mario retired. Was a fanboy of his as a kid), so I have no idea who choked more, but I'll take your word for it.

I also think we overuse the word "choke" and blow the reality of the situation out of proportion. Sometimes the other team simply makes plays. Lebron and Allen still had to make those 3's. Chicago still had to score those goals. Freese still had to make contact.

The only pure chokejobs I can think of was Nick Andersen's 4 straight missed freethrows and the Webber timeout. Those were instances where the opposing team didn't really do much to affect the outcome and still wound up in a favorable position.

LkrFan
06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't know much about hockey (stopped following it after Super Mario retired. Was a fanboy of his as a kid), so I have no idea who choked more, but I'll take your word for it.

I also think we overuse the word "choke" and blow the reality of the situation out of proportion. Sometimes the other team simply makes plays. Lebron and Allen still had to make those 3's. Chicago still had to score those goals. Freese still had to make contact.

The only pure chokejobs I can think of was Nick Andersen's 4 straight missed freethrows and the Webber timeout. Those were instances where the opposing team didn't really do much to affect the outcome and still wound up in a favorable position.
CR:lolFL - y'all chokedPERIOD. Nice :downspin: though. :lol

midnightpulp
06-25-2013, 08:52 AM
CR:lolFL - y'all chokedPERIOD. Nice :downspin: though. :lol

Of course the Spurs did. I didn't say otherwise. But usually a chokejob is aided by the other team making plays.

Fans do overuse the word, though.

Oh, this was another pure choke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ1bd2g3p1Y

Kareem is sitting there with a one-on-one matchup in the post and Magic sits there dribbling like a zombie until the clock ran out.

Venti Quattro
06-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Hey! I'm a long-time Kings fan!!! Quit trash-talking my Kings! :madrun :madrun

LnGrrrR
06-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Quick trivia Venti, who was the best player ever to play for the Kings? No googling! :D

Venti Quattro
06-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Quick trivia Venti, who was the best player ever to play for the Kings? No googling! :D
Kopi...I forgot! Kopi, that's him!!!

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey! I'm a long-time Kings fan!!! Quit trash-talking my Kings! :madrun :madrun

:cry Latin Kings are my favorite team all-time :cry

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Of course the Spurs did. I didn't say otherwise. But usually a chokejob is aided by the other team making plays.

Fans do overuse the word, though.

Kareem is sitting there with a one-on-one matchup in the post and Magic sits there dribbling like a zombie until the clock ran out.

LOL Magic Francis

Venti Quattro
06-25-2013, 09:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJStJ9p_T0

What a weak pass. :(

midnightpulp
06-25-2013, 09:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJStJ9p_T0

What a weak pass. :(

Ouch.

Amazing the Lakers bounced back and won 3 more championships. Helps that their core was young, too. Sucks that the Spurs version of the '84 Finals happened when their core is past their prime, so they likely won't get revenge.

Thread
06-25-2013, 09:53 AM
^It was death wish, he'd nearly given away the Dallas series earlier, not once, but twice.

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Ouch.

Amazing the Lakers bounced back and won 3 more championships. Helps that their core was young, too. Sucks that the Spurs version of the '84 Finals happened when their core is past their prime, so they likely won't get revenge.

That loss just made the Lake Show hungrier. They had a better team than Boston and they knew it. Plus with the West being as feeble as it was they practically had a free ride to the Finals in 1985.

Re: the 1984 Dallas-L.A. series; didn't Derek Harper pull a Magic and dribble out the clock in one of those games?

Girasuck
06-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Says a guy who thinks superstar players should fight bruising defensemen just to show how tough they are.

LnGrrrR
06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
What, Chara's not a superstar too? :)

And hey, if said superstar player doesn't want a fight, he probably shouldn't get in the grill of said defenseman.

ezau
06-25-2013, 09:11 PM

Remember when you announced the Lakers are gonna win the championship after acquiring Dwight? :lol Lakers have no room tbh.