PDA

View Full Version : How many years do we have left in Tony?

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 10:30 PM
While the 2 elderly members of our big 3 are probably nearing the twilight of their careers, Tony still has a few more years left in the tank. I can almost guaruntee you that Tony and Kawhi will be the flagship players of this franchise. But if things work out as I foresee them, we will gradually be moving towards building this team around Kawhi. With that in mind, how much longer until we see Tony rely start to fade away as the true superstar on the team?

Dingle Barry
06-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Parker will be one of those guys who rapidly goes from good to shitty once his speed advantage goes, since his J is erratic and hes average creatively. I expect the speed advantage to be gone within 3 years.

SpurPadre
06-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Well, Steve Nash was still playing at a high level (offensively speaking) until two years ago at age 37 so I'd say TP has 4-6 seasons where he can still be a major weapon for us. I expect his jumper to be even better as he relies on it more to compensate for the loss in speed he will eventually experience. So, I'd expect him to be the franchise player for 3 to 4 years max barring a major acquisition while Kawhi eventually overtakes the role as best player. With all this in consideration, we'll continue to make noise in the league...much to the sports media's chagrin.

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Well, Steve Nash was still playing at a high level (offensively speaking) until two years ago at age 37 so I'd say TP has 4-6 seasons where he can still be a major weapon for us. I expect his jumper to be even better as he relies on it more to compensate for the loss in speed he will eventually experience. So, I'd expect him to be the franchise player for 3 to 4 years max barring a major acquisition while Kawhi eventually overtakes the role as best player. With all this in consideration, we'll continue to make noise in the league...much to the sports media's chagrin.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that we reload quickly enough so that when the day comes where Tony decides to hang it up, we have a pretty solid core to surround Kawhi (that has also hopefully been mentored by Tony) and we can continue to compete and make deep runs in the postseason. We WILL win championships with Kawhi.

Dingle Barry
06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Well, Steve Nash was still playing at a high level (offensively speaking) until two years ago at age 37 so I'd say TP has 4-6 seasons where he can still be a major weapon for us. I expect his jumper to be even better as he relies on it more to compensate for the loss in speed he will eventually experience. So, I'd expect him to be the franchise player for 3 to 4 years max barring a major acquisition while Kawhi eventually overtakes the role as best player. With all this in consideration, we'll continue to make noise in the league...much to the sports media's chagrin.comparing tp to Nash is silly. tp is far more reliant on speed. Nash has legendary shooting and passing ability.

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2013, 10:59 PM
The thing that worries me about TP is his stamina. He seemed to constantly run out of gas through the playoffs. I don't know if it was all due to him playing with the French national team, injuries, or age. Maybe it's a little bit of everything. Parker needs to improve his conditioning (yeah I know a little too old to do that) and retire from his national team.

Man In Black
06-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Parker will be better off being a solid #2 or great #3. It's important to make sure he's more of a distributor who can score rather than what he is now, a scorer who can distribute. That way, he'll have enough energy in the tank to attack late in the game if needed.

BatManu20
06-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I think Tony has 2 great seasons left, then it'll de a quick downhill slope from there imo. As the above poster stated, comparing him to Nash is silly. Nash is one of the greatest shooters in NBA history aling with one of the greatest passers. Tony's game is predicated off of his speed and quickness and ability to get in the lane.

Plus, Tony takes a beating during the season. He's on the floor almost every time he drives to the bucket. That takes a toll on your body over time. As he gets older he'll likely slow down considerably and try to rely more on his jump shot.

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2013, 11:02 PM
comparing tp to Nash is silly. tp is far more reliant on speed. Nash has legendary shooting and passing ability.Very true. Steve Nash is able to prolong his career because he relies more on his jump shot. Parker relies more on splitting double teams, penetrating, and taking hits. The thing that worries me about TP is his stamina. He seemed to constantly run out of gas through the playoffs. I don't know if it was all due to him playing with the French national team, injuries, or age. Maybe it's a little bit of everything. Parker needs to improve his conditioning (yeah I know a little too old to do that) and retire from his national team.

slick'81
06-24-2013, 11:10 PM
At his current level 2-3 years at best

apalisoc_9
06-24-2013, 11:11 PM
At this year level, probably 2 years. But tony's midrange jumper should be equal to manu's passing ability in terms of sustainability.

I could see tony still being a very important player in 6 years.

KL2
06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
3-4, once that speed is gone he's going to have trouble scoring just like Westbrook will once his athleticism is gone.

Parker would have to change his whole game and become a great jump shooter and 3pt shooter, I doubt he can do that.

InRareForm
06-24-2013, 11:29 PM
While his speed is what makes him great, he still has a great ability to use his body while in traffic to finish, and you don't need to be top speed for that. He still has 3 great years after that 2 "good" years.

dg7md
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
3 years as an all-star.

2 more after that as a very good starter who not be the number one option.

We should start looking for our future PG in the next 2 years.

spurraider21
06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
considering parker is peaking now, you would assume 3 years of great play

Seefourdc
06-24-2013, 11:52 PM
The reason Tony Parker is so gassed is because 5-6 times a game they make him run a full circle around the halfcourt. Why the hell do they make him run a fullcourt windsprint so often is beyond me...

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 11:59 PM
The reason Tony Parker is so gassed is because 5-6 times a game they make him run a full circle around the halfcourt. Why the hell do they make him run a fullcourt windsprint so often is beyond me...

Maybe you should go talk to Pop about this. I'm sure he'd appreciate your valuable insight.

kobexxx
06-25-2013, 01:47 AM
he's done

Seefourdc
06-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Maybe you should go talk to Pop about this. I'm sure he'd appreciate your valuable insight.

Seriously though doesn't that make you scratch your head even a little? It doesn't even seem to setup anything in particular and they make him do it numerous times every game.

mancun20
06-25-2013, 02:51 AM
its the reggie miller style play where he runs through multiple screens to free him up......unfortunately the passer usually green/neal isn't creative enough ala mark jackson to get him the ball at the exact spot when parker comes off the curl...

hyhy
06-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Seriously though doesn't that make you scratch your head even a little? It doesn't even seem to setup anything in particular and they make him do it numerous times every game.

"The loop" sets up parker in a triple threat position at a mid-range, runs the defenders through screens, confuses the defenders, opens up post players and have multiple variations to it. One of Spurs' best offensive sets IMO, beautiful to watch when executed perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxCihOz6_UU

Brazil
06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
this kind of PG doesn't age very well, we are lucky with Parker. Reachin' 30 they usually start to plummet. Therefore it's kind of difficult to predict. Is 2013 his peak ? likely tbh imho

good news is he increased a lot his variety, he is now a better passer, his JS is globally consistent, he can now shoot open 3s but also have success with it off the drible... he is preparing himself to be a solid contributor even when he is gonna loose a step with his quickness

dallasmaverickslose
06-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Its obviously a way to draw the defense to create some open space.

kaji157
06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
The next season after Duncan retires. Thatīs the season Parkers "decline" will became obvious.

UZER
06-25-2013, 10:26 AM
if Paker wants to play at this level going forward, he absolutely must develop 3 point range.

SpurPadre
06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I think Tony has 2 great seasons left, then it'll de a quick downhill slope from there imo. As the above poster stated, comparing him to Nash is silly. Nash is one of the greatest shooters in NBA history aling with one of the greatest passers. Tony's game is predicated off of his speed and quickness and ability to get in the lane.

Plus, Tony takes a beating during the season. He's on the floor almost every time he drives to the bucket. That takes a toll on your body over time. As he gets older he'll likely slow down considerably and try to rely more on his jump shot.

Come on now, I wasn't actually comparing their games as being similar. I was just pointing out how one person was able to continue playing at a solid level despite getting into his late 30's. Yes, TP relies on his speed but that doesn't mean he can't adapt when he can no longer rely solely on it and that's my point. Your points on his jump shot is what I clearly stated on my post.

Cane
06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Hollinger thought it would have happened already

Anyway it's not just speed, shooting or stamina that will be Parker's downfall. It's also his size and defense. Guards/Forwards will be able to block or intimidate Tony in the paint, and Tony will be abused in both face up and post up situations

Seefourdc
06-25-2013, 11:05 PM
"The loop" sets up parker in a triple threat position at a mid-range, runs the defenders through screens, confuses the defenders, opens up post players and have multiple variations to it. One of Spurs' best offensive sets IMO, beautiful to watch when executed perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxCihOz6_UU

That video makes it make sense. Against the Heat they were running it a lot and it NEVER resulted in anything. It was making me scratch my head watching Parker run laps for nothing 4-5 times a game.

Sean Cagney
06-25-2013, 11:15 PM
he's done

You are one of the worst posters in here sir.. BTW worry about your boy Kobe with that injury and at age 35 man, he might be done.

hyhy
06-26-2013, 01:31 AM
That video makes it make sense. Against the Heat they were running it a lot and it NEVER resulted in anything. It was making me scratch my head watching Parker run laps for nothing 4-5 times a game.

They ran it alot in the first few games and it actually turned out well, good shots most of the times even when they dun make the good shots. Then they went away from it and didnt run it at all from games 6-7, whereas the Heat actually copied the set and ran it against us, for chalmers layups and lebron rolls.
Sometimes u see it didnt result in anything is mostly due to the heat's athleticism, as the main purpose of that is for Parker to run faster than the defender to reach a good position, but cole/chalmers are able to keep up to speed, and the 3rd screen at the elbow - the defender, most of the times lebron, is able to cut of both passing lanes to prevent parker receiving the pass anywhere inside the 3 point line, along with the pressure on green/leonard holding the ball at the middle preventing them from having a easy look to pass. All these resulted in harder execution, but the offensive set ran even with no actual opening for shots, is still better than just pick and roll and isolations with no ball movement and off ball movements, like we see in Game 7