PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: LOL Cavs just tried to lowball the hell out of the Blazers

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 02:14 AM
No. 1 and 19th pick for Lamarcus Aldridge? like... seriously??? :rollin:rollin:rollin

Rogue
06-25-2013, 02:37 AM
fair reflection of the quality of 13' draft. Cavs have been following those kids the whole season so they know how deep, or how shallow the pool is

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 03:02 AM
fair reflection of the quality of 13' draft. Cavs have been following those kids the whole season so they know how deep, or how shallow the pool is

lol well the top prospect Nerlens Noel tore his ACL, so I'm assuming there's a big drop off between Noel and the 2nd overall. Either way, the Cavs had to be stupid to think Blazers would accept that

Chinook
06-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Aldridge isn't even that good. It would be worth it to Portland just to get out from under that contract. I think they'll find a better deal for him, though.

Meanwhile, this marks the second time Cleveland has offered the first-overall pick for a lesser-star player. They supposed wanted to give up 1 for Rudy Gay in 2011. And Memphis didn't accept that because...

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Aldridge isn't even that good. It would be worth it to Portland just to get out from under that contract. I think they'll find a better deal for him, though.

Meanwhile, this marks the second time Cleveland has offered the first-overall pick for a lesser-star player. They supposed wanted to give up 1 for Rudy Gay in 2011. And Memphis didn't accept that because...

I don't think Memphis had any idea how Kyrie Irving's game would translate to the NBA

Chinook
06-25-2013, 04:02 AM
I don't think Memphis had any idea how Kyrie Irving's game would translate to the NBA

It was still a terrible move refusing that. Even if Irving/Williams busted, they'd still get out from under that $82M/5 contract. Portland should have learned it's lesson: If you're having reservations about overpaying your "star" and not getting good production in return, and another team offers a first-overall pick to take that "star" off your hands, you do it.

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 04:21 AM
lol well the top prospect Nerlens Noel tore his ACL, so I'm assuming there's a big drop off between Noel and the 2nd overall. Either way, the Cavs had to be stupid to think Blazers would accept that

figured blazers would love to take a center with a torn up knee

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 08:13 AM

That's insane. Irving has always had a great jump shot and absolutely elite ball-handling. I can't think of many players I have ever seen with his kind of handles even before coming into the league. I think the only question mark on Irving coming into the league was his health.

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 08:15 AM

Man, Noel's not even that good either. I mean elite shotblocker, but dude wasn't even much of a scorer at the HS level, and had lots of injury problems then too. What a garbage draft. :lol

Mal
06-25-2013, 08:15 AM
That would be new. Portland drafting big men with bad knees.

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 08:28 AM
FWIW I don't think the Cavaliers want Noel at all. I've heard Big Z is pushing hard for Alex Len. I think ideally they'd like to move down a couple of spots.

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Anyways, stupid thread tbh; we're getting him for Splitter

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218493

Clipper Nation
06-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Why are the Cavs trying to become a mediocre playoff team when they should be tanking for Wiggins or Parker? They're making the same mistakes they made with LeBron, tbh.... just keep the pick and draft Len, his shit-ass play will be valuable for the tank efforts :lol

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Why are the Cavs trying to become a mediocre playoff team when they should be tanking for Wiggins or Parker? They're making the same mistakes they made with LeBron, tbh.... just keep the pick and draft Len, his shit-ass play will be valuable for the tank efforts :lol

They've already tanked for three straight years. How long should they keep tanking? Maybe there's some 7th-grader that'll be the shit when he comes up for the draft in 2019, should they keep tanking until then?

I mean at some point you have to try and win games. Staying in the lottery and continuing to get younger year after year is a good way to turn into the Sacramento Kings.

DPG21920
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
If you get 2 #1 picks plus another top 10 in 3 consecutive years and can't make the playoffs you did it wrong. You should be a playoff team & still not have to mortgage your cap space.

AchillesHeel
06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
:lol This could be 2007 all over again, Blazers draft a big man with bad knees instead of a decent wing player that turns out to be a superstar

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 09:51 AM
If you get 2 #1 picks plus another top 10 in 3 consecutive years and can't make the playoffs you did it wrong. You should be a playoff team & still not have to mortgage your cap space.

Two #1 overall picks plus two top-5 picks and two top-20 picks in three years. That should be more than adequate for building a playoff roster, tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-25-2013, 09:56 AM
The last 3 years the draft has been horrible, it doesn't matter what pick you have when all the players suck. CN is right, Wiggins and Parker both have franchise player potential and it's almost become a necessity in the NBA to have a freakish athlete at SF who can go up against Lebron and Durant.

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Cleveland needs to take Noel, sit his ass until All-Star Break, then force feed him in the post, a formula that likely finds them in the top-5 in next years draft, right there got Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Gordon, Smart...

Irving
Waiters
Parker
Thompson
Noel

Captivus
06-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Who wants Noel, thats the question.
The Cavs could pick Porter.

If I were in the Cavs position, I would probably be talking to the Magic and the Wizards and asking them if they want Noel.
Lets say the Magic do, then I would trade Noel for Porter (if they want him) and a Magic Player. Same goes for the Wizards.
All this, assuming they dont want Noel..

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
People are foolish to not want Noel.

He's a freak athlete, elite defender who's a year young for his class and is physically weak. He showed considerable willingness to play the post, and showed improving feel for a scoop hook and up-n-under. Give him three years and coaching and he could be Mourning redux.

He has a frame that can easily add 30 pounds without any athleticism issue.

AchillesHeel
06-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Oladipo will be one of the more solid players in this draft, his workout also looked really good and way above others, he showed up at the combine in top shape and is showing his work ethic. Noel on the other hand is a huge gamble, it could be worth it but then again could be a waste of a pick, like that crazy dude who was afraid of flying (what happened to him, anyways?).

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Otto Porter is the safest pick of the top five, imo.

Dex
06-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Especially in the Leastern Conference.

UNCLE-DREW
06-25-2013, 12:41 PM
:lol This could be 2007 all over again, Blazers draft a big man with bad knees instead of a decent wing player that turns out to be a superstar

mayb asked earlier but what's the name of the right one

http://24.media.tumblr.com/8aea5393244f85623b7e7e3e87f1fd29/tumblr_mk2q5avkKs1rt8vnyo1_500.jpg

AchillesHeel
06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
mayb asked earlier but what's the name of the right one

http://24.media.tumblr.com/8aea5393244f85623b7e7e3e87f1fd29/tumblr_mk2q5avkKs1rt8vnyo1_500.jpg

Dawn Jaro, tbh.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llrsl2TQBd1qzz41to1_500.jpg

Raven
06-25-2013, 01:05 PM

He's a freak athlete, elite defender who's a year young for his class and is physically weak. He showed considerable willingness to play the post, and showed improving feel for a scoop hook and up-n-under. Give him three years and coaching and he could be Mourning redux.

ever heard of hassan whiteside? and he even had better size and strength with no torn acl.

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 02:03 PM

Didn't he miss his junior year of high school with a knee injury? Or was it his sophomore year? Noel is probably the best shotblocker I have ever seen at his age, but you gotta really wonder about health with him.

da_suns_fan
06-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Aldridge is overpaid and his ceiling isnt very high.

I'd take that deal if Im Portland. Its much easier for the Cavs to make the playoffs with Irving and Aldridge than it is for Portland to make the playoffs.

Thread
06-25-2013, 02:07 PM

I'd take that deal if Im Portland. Its much easier for the Cavs to make the playoffs with Irving and Aldridge than it is for Portland to make the playoffs.

da

I wanted to say likewise, but, was afraid I'd be made fun of. tee, hee.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
ever heard of hassan whiteside? and he even had better size and strength with no torn acl.

You're comparing a player that was drafted 33rd (in the second round) for good reason, to a 1st overall pick in Nerlens Noel? Seriously?

Players didn't even sniff Dejuan Blair because he has no ACLs, lets see how far Nerlens Noel will end up dropping. If he didn't tear his ACL though, there seriously is a big dropoff between the first overall and any of the other top 5 picks imo.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 02:11 PM

The dude is averaging 20 points, almost 10 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 block. What more of a ceiling do you want? lol

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 02:35 PM

Yes, I've heard of Hassan Whiteside.

Did you know he was a borderline 3-star while Noel was the top player in the 2012 class after graduating a year early from his top-3 ranking for the loaded 2013 class.

He's one of the best defensive athletes I have ever seen, eliciting a "Young Hakeem" comparison by a scout I know.

He's a beanpole at 6-11, 215, and has wide shoulders and a long torso, meaning hell have a lower center of gravity, ideal for added weight/strength, with amazing instincts, timing, and athleticism.

At the time of his injury Noel had over 100 blocks and 50 steals in 24 games as a slight, year-young prospect.

I get the Hakeem reference for defensive potential.

He also has a mean streak. He isn't listless. He's active, engaged, and fiercely competitive as demonstrated by the play he was injured on.

None of his injuries were reoccurring. They were all just things that happen.

I'd be more concerned about Len's foot turning into Zydrunas 2.0.

Give the 18-YO elite defensive prospect time, training, coaching and with his drive, I think he's the only potential HoF in this draft.

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I am employed by Scout.com (owned by Fox Sports), and Rivals.com (owned by Yahoo.com) as moderator and administrator of multiple national forums.

Yes, I've heard of Hassan Whiteside.

Did you know he was a borderline 3-star while Noel was the top player in the 2012 class after graduating a year early from his top-3 ranking for the loaded 2013 class.

He's one of the best defensive athletes I have ever seen, eliciting a "Young Hakeem" comparison by a scout I know.

He's a beanpole at 6-11, 215, and has wide shoulders and a long torso, meaning hell have a lower center of gravity, ideal for added weight/strength, with amazing instincts, timing, and athleticism.

At the time of his injury Noel had over 100 blocks and 50 steals in 24 games as a slight, year-young prospect.

I get the Hakeem reference for defensive potential.

He also has a mean streak. He isn't listless. He's active, engaged, and fiercely competitive as demonstrated by the play he was injured on.

None of his injuries were reoccurring. They were all just things that happen.

I'd be more concerned about Len's foot turning into Zydrunas 2.0.

Give the 18-YO elite defensive prospect time, training, coaching and with his drive, I think he's the only potential HoF in this draft.

Thanks for the info. First time I saw Noel was watching a game where he played Drummond to a draw, which really impressed me since Drummond has such a ridiculous combination of size and athleticism. And yet Noel could still block his shot even though he was a year or two younger. All the injury history really scared me about him though.

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Noel is nearly two years younger than Drummond.

I don't evoke Hakeem at all. That's sacrilege. But I see the same intensity, skills, instincts as Mourning, who was a great player pre-injury/disease.

But I get the Hakeem reference for the 250 blocks, 150 steals potential.

What's most intriguing to me is we really have no idea his ceiling since he is so young, undersized, under-coached.

It wouldn't shock me if by the time he's 25 Noel is a 15 PPG, 12 RPG, 3+ BPG, 2+ SPG defensive stud and an anchor that would complement any stretch four nicely.

Get him an elbow or baseline jumper and he could sneak closer to 18-20 PPG.

I have those who think in crazy, but I think Noel is the better prospect than Anthony Davis.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-25-2013, 03:40 PM
It's also worth noting that if Noel continued the way he was playing at the time of his injury, Kentucky makes the tournament and maybe wins 1-2 games, and Noel is the undisputed #1 pick. He was really coming around at the time he tore his ACL.

:lmao Hassan Whiteside comparisons

I think Noel and McLemore are the only two players in this draft who are more than long shots to become all stars. After them the draft is really weak.

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Exactly. In addition, he's one of the most coachable, hardest working stars I've ever seen. Like Dwight Howard potential with a Tim Duncan approach to learning, preparation, practice.

If big men were still developed offensively in high school like they were in the 80s, he'd be one of the most coveted prospects of the decade. While no one knows his offensive promise, Noel has the hands, timing, and work ethic to actually develop, not just end up DeAndre Jordan 2.0.

If the Suns had the pieces without trading future picks, I'd be screaming for them to trade up.

Shitty-ass drafts of the past strike again!

JoeTait75
06-25-2013, 04:15 PM
It's also worth noting that if Noel continued the way he was playing at the time of his injury, Kentucky makes the tournament and maybe wins 1-2 games, and Noel is the undisputed #1 pick. He was really coming around at the time he tore his ACL.

This is exactly why I want the Cavaliers to take Noel. If he hadn't gotten hurt there wouldn't even be a discussion in terms of who would be #1.

Raven
06-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Exactly. In addition, he's one of the most coachable, hardest working stars I've ever seen. Like Dwight Howard potential with a Tim Duncan approach to learning, preparation, practice.

If big men were still developed offensively in high school like they were in the 80s, he'd be one of the most coveted prospects of the decade. While no one knows his offensive promise, Noel has the hands, timing, and work ethic to actually develop, not just end up DeAndre Jordan 2.0.

If the Suns had the pieces without trading future picks, I'd be screaming for them to trade up.

Shitty-ass drafts of the past strike again!

to me that's just speculation, the facts are that he has no offensive game and an acl torn multiple times, i would never draft someone with that resume' 1st overall no matter how bad this draft can be.

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 04:17 PM
to me that's just speculation, the facts are that he has no offensive game and an acl torn multiple times, i would never draft someone with that resume' 1st overall no matter how bad this draft can be.

Nah, his other knee injury involved the kneecap if I'm not mistaken.

MeloHype
06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Cause this draft sucks

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 04:30 PM
What's speculation?

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
The facts are Noel averaged 5 BPG and 2 SPG per 40 faster than Olajuwon or Robinson (the only other two to do so), despite being slighter of frame and arguably playing tougher overall competition since neither Navy nor Houston were in juggernaut conferences.

4.6 and 2.1 with 9+ rebounds and 10+ points with very good points-per-shot for such a raw player.

Knee injuries were separate and isolated.

Shit happens. Neither were from a fundamental at rural issue like Oden's slight leg-length difference, or Walton's chronic foot fractures.

6-10+ with 7-4 wingspan at 215 playing weight and he averaged 4.6 BPG.

Imagine when he adds strength?

It's harder to learn defense than offense.

Noel has the hands to be good off the bounce and off the pass.

It's crazy to me how many detractors he has.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 06:55 PM
I have those who think in crazy, but I think Noel is the better prospect than Anthony Davis.

Anthony Davis was too raw for the NBA to begin with. Give him a couple more seasons though, I can see him turning into a solid player.

JMarkJohns
06-25-2013, 06:59 PM
I like Davis quite a bit. Just think very highly of Noel.

da_suns_fan
06-25-2013, 07:00 PM
The dude is averaging 20 points, almost 10 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 block. What more of a ceiling do you want? lol

Shoot better, rebound better, block better etc than the average power forward.

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/273-lamarcus-aldridge

A power forward shooting 48% from 2pt range aint cutting it, regardless of his salary. His point per shot was actually below average against other PFs. So why the hell does he make so much? Because he shoots a lot?

No thanks.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Yeah same here, Davis is a defensive beast in the making.

But like I said before, prior to his ACL tear, Noel would be #1 without a hint of doubt. Post-ACL tear, however, there really is no clear #1 and Cavs just trying to walk away with highway robbery here

Chinook
06-25-2013, 07:05 PM

A power forward shooting 48% from 2pt range aint cutting it, regardless of his salary. His point per shot was actually below average against other PFs. So why the hell does he make so much? Because he shoots a lot?

No thanks.

Not to mention his game is ugly. He doesn't just shoot a lot of jumpers; he shoots a lot of step-back fadeaways like he's trying to be Dirk. I was watching some highlights of him, and it seemed like every shot he took was like he thought the shot clock was running down.

da_suns_fan
06-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Just compare Aldridge to Duncan last season:

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=273&player_ids%5B%5D=303

Duncan wasnt just "Better". He was "significantly better" in rebounding and blocks and even better in shooting/scoring.

And hes 10 years older than Aldridge.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 07:12 PM

No thanks.

There are a ton of PFs that are worse than Aldrige tbh... Markieff Morris comes to mind.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2013, 07:15 PM
So what are you trying to say? That you'd take Nerlens Noel, a player who is recovering from a torn ACL over Aldridge, a current all-star in the NBA? I wouldn't.

da_suns_fan
06-25-2013, 07:47 PM
There are a ton of PFs that are worse than Aldrige tbh... Markieff Morris comes to mind.

Aldridge is very "average". Markieff Morris absolutely sucks. At least the Suns arent paying Morris anywhere close to what the Blazers are paying Aldridge.