PDA

View Full Version : Manu ginobili next year

kobyz
06-25-2013, 07:00 AM
If he stay, and I want him to stay cause he a symbol of the spurs, but he need to play only limited role, only to be the sf backup, sf is the only position he should play those days, should not letting him handle the ball to much, that way I think he could still be effective for us, something like a rich man miami heat Shane Beattie.

Ibleedslvrnblk
06-25-2013, 07:25 AM
He will retire a Spur. TD and TP won't have it any other way. And to be honest he should be here regardless. This organization does not piss on their players who brought them so much.

KL2
06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
The NBA is a business, you shouldn't resign a player that played as bad as Manu did, it shouldn't matter what they did in the past. He's about to turn 36 next month and he's injury prone like he's been his whole career, at his age injuries will take longer to heal. If that wasn't bad enough he has almost always taken a very long time to return to the way he plays after an injury, usually taking 1-2 months to regain his confidence, sometimes even longer. It can really affect the rhythm of a team, messing up the chemistry.

With that being said, Manu is probably the most popular Spur in San Antonio, he sells merchandise (shirts, jerseys, etc.) and tickets. There is also a very large Argentinian fan base that supports him as well. A lot of these casual fans that still heavily overrate Manu would be angry at the Spurs for not resigning him, it could affect ticket sales, the revenue generated from him would pretty much disappear.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Manu is resigned for those reasons, which I don't want to happen.

TheGreatYacht
06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
The NBA is a business, you shouldn't resign a player that played as bad as Manu did, it shouldn't matter what they did in the past. He's about to turn 36 next month and he's injury prone like he's been his whole career, at his age injuries will take longer to heal. If that wasn't bad enough he has almost always taken a very long time to return to the way he plays after an injury, usually taking 1-2 months to regain his confidence, sometimes even longer. It can really affect the rhythm of a team, messing up the chemistry.
With that being said, Manu is probably the most popular Spur in San Antonio, he sells merchandise (shirts, jerseys, etc.) and tickets. There is also a very large Argentinian fan base that supports him as well. A lot of these casual fans that still heavily overrate Manu would be angry at the Spurs for not resigning him, it could affect ticket sales, the revenue generated from him would pretty much disappear.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Manu is resigned for those reasons, which I don't want to happen.This.

Enough of this loyalty BS. If Manu really wants to play another year and retire as a Spur, then he can play for the veteran's minimum at a very reduced role. He won't go to another team because he knows he wouldn't last. If he changes teams then he will be overplayed in minutes, he will get more injuries, and he will play as bad as the Game 6 Manu or worst.

I agree that business is business. Life goes on. One can't stay living in the past. Stop throwing the "three championships or three rings thanks to Manu" bullsh*t because Tim Duncan is the main reason why the Spurs are even good and have been good for the past 15 years. Without Tim Duncan, Manu would just be an above average player, Parker would be an above average PG, Pop wouldn't even be a Hall of Fame coach, and most importantly the Spurs would have ZERO championships.

So fu*k Manu. He can retire for all I care. He already cost Timmy two championships or even three if you want to include the Derek Fisher shot. Enough of this loyatly BS from you Manu lovers.

peacemaker885
06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
He will retire a Spur. TD and TP won't have it any other way. And to be honest he should be here regardless. This organization does not piss on their players who brought them so much.

This. The Spurs are not just any other NBA team.

Baam
06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
That won't happen because even Pop doesn't understand that he's not the third best player anymore.

kaji157
06-25-2013, 09:46 AM
If he does stay he will be better than this season and willl have a similar role.
Because he is the only player that showed that can take care of the second unit. Parker cant and Duncan wont do it.
Unless you get a player that can score and involve others as he does, he will come back to this same role and have the ball in his hands a lot.

TheGreatYacht
06-25-2013, 09:51 AM
If he does stay he will be better than this season and willl have a similar role.
Because he is the only player that showed that can take care of the second unit. Parker cant and Duncan wont do it.
Unless you get a player that can score and involve others as he does, he will come back to this same role and have the ball in his hands a lot.If Pop thinks like you then I guarantee you that the Spurs are NOT winning the championship next year. Manu plays like a scrub now. He's washed up. The man just wants to be with his family. He doesn't enjoy basketball anymore. Basketball is like a job to him now and not a passion. If he really cared about winning, he would work on his diet and body this offseason.

kaji157
06-25-2013, 10:12 AM
If Pop thinks like you then I guarantee you that the Spurs are NOT winning the championship next year. Manu plays like a scrub now. He's washed up. The man just wants to be with his family. He doesn't enjoy basketball anymore. Basketball is like a job to him now and not a passion. If he really cared about winning, he would work on his diet and body this offseason.

Go learn some basketball.
Put any spurs player to play 20 mins a game with our scrubs and see how they perform.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
As Holt put it, "We're all going to die together."

Manu is coming back no matter what.

tsb2000
06-25-2013, 10:23 AM

*cough* Bruce Bowen *cough*

TheGreatYacht
06-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Well if Manu comes back then he better play for the veteran's minimum. I mean he has only cost the Spurs two championships (possibly 3 if you want to include the .4 Fisher shot).

ElNono
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Well if Manu comes back then he better play for the veteran's minimum. I mean he has only cost the Spurs two championships (possibly 3 if you want to include the .4 Fisher shot).

What if he doesn't? You gonna start a petition? crofl

temujin
06-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Bruce Bowen says hi.

temujin
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM

As a further proof of your well varied takes on the subject "Manu is the reason Spurs won only 4 and not 7 rings"
you could cite 2011:
Manu gets injuried in the last game of the RS, and Spurs march to the title straight up.

Ibleedslvrnblk
06-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Bruce Bowen says hi.

Well in regards to trading them off to a deserted island...

dallasmaverickslose
06-25-2013, 12:40 PM

:idiot

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Bruce Bowen says hi.
Bruce Bowen didn't play a single game after the trade. he knew very well he was retiring, he just waited so his salary he was set to earn would be part of a trade. true team player. in fact, the bowen-RJ trade and the subsequent RJ-Jax trade is why we have the cap room this year to resign Manu. funny how it all works out.

Manu is coming back people, and all this talk of him retiring or not resigning is wasting your time

06-25-2013, 01:57 PM
The Spurs chances next season hinges on Ginobili's contract. If the Spurs don't have cap space, this wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't care if Ginobili gets $5 million a year, it wouldn't affect anybody except for Peter Holt and the owners. BUT the Spurs can save that $5 million of cap if Ginobili signs for the under the cap MLE, which is around $2.6 million.

Think about that $5 million. I said this in the Robinson thread too. That $5 million can be the difference between a $8 million and a $3 million free agent. Who would you rather see coming off the bench next year? Gary Neal or OJ Mayo? That's the difference in quality and Ginobili's contract will greatly impact whether the Spurs improve dramatically or bring back more of the same.

superbigtime
06-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Please retire Manu.

Knoxxx
06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Manu should be back, though he needs to cut the TOs and be more aggressive about driving to the rim. He's still very hard to stop going to the basket (short of a Ray Allen tackle), and it sets up the rest of his game (e.g. great passing). So work on the 3s, dial down the extreme passes a bit, and stay aggressive driving the ball. Back to basics really and I almost left off sign for the vet min or cap exception.

We have become spoiled. Guys that can score off the dribble and create remain very rare in the NBA.

I think the idea that he cost us this championship or that one needs to be reexamined. On the infamous bonehead Dirk foul, he had just made a 3 prior to that.

Go back and look at some Manu highlights if you feel terrible about him. It's been a great ride with Manu all these years and many NBA fans will never sniff even one title.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-25-2013, 06:36 PM

you are paranoid!!!!

texmich
06-25-2013, 09:53 PM
you are paranoid!!!!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2755752/cat-gets-stuck-on-ceiling-fan-o.gif

dallasmaverickslose
06-25-2013, 09:56 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2755752/cat-gets-stuck-on-ceiling-fan-o.gif

:rollinThat gif is fvcking hilarious!

skulls138
06-26-2013, 12:59 AM
I know he played the Olympics in the offseason and supposedly he always does something for Argentina. Maybe with a well rested off season he'll be better. Til then, "what have you done for ME lately".

skulls138
06-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Hey dallasmaverickslose, I hate your gif of Manu elbowing Lebron. It kind of sums up Manus uselessness. He looks like what one of the fools would do to him when he got under their skin.

ElNono
06-26-2013, 01:40 AM
I know he played the Olympics in the offseason and supposedly he always does something for Argentina. Maybe with a well rested off season he'll be better. Til then, "what have you done for ME lately".

He's definitely not playing with the NT this summer...

angelbelow
06-26-2013, 02:38 AM
The NBA is a business, you shouldn't resign a player that played as bad as Manu did, it shouldn't matter what they did in the past.

It's this very reason why you SHOULD resign him. The NBA is a business and Manu will bring that business.

Obviously you try to pay him his player worth (2-4 million) though.

Prime Time
06-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Imagine if the Pistons still had their Big 5. While a joke, that seems pretty badass. Textbook TOSB team, though.

Splits
06-26-2013, 10:06 AM
He's definitely not playing with the NT this summer...

That would be a shame, for Manu personally. He treasures international play and Fiba worlds more than anything, the NBA is more of a side project, a warmup if you will, to what is really important: his beloved Argentinan national team. I'm sure his gold medal, and perhaps his 4th place 2012 Olympic finish, are much higher on his trophy wall than anything he accomplished with the Spurs

ElNono
06-26-2013, 11:16 AM
That would be a shame, for Manu personally. He treasures international play and Fiba worlds more than anything, the NBA is more of a side project, a warmup if you will, to what is really important: his beloved Argentinan national team. I'm sure his gold medal, and perhaps his 4th place 2012 Olympic finish, are much higher on his trophy wall than anything he accomplished with the Spurs

I would disagree with that notion in general... you could say that of guys like Nocioni or Scola, who never said no when the NT came calling... IMO, the 2012 Olympics had a lot more to do with the fact that it was probably his last Olympics personally and for that group, and the fact that the qualifiers for it were held in Argentina, where he worked hard to get the team in there. While I wouldn't disagree he probably puts more value on the gold medal he won at the Olympics, given the odds, he's also written extensively on how difficult it is to get to the NBA Finals, and how much he values being there.

This summer he said no again to the NT, and the same applies to Prigioni and a few other players... it's fairly clear the days of that golden generation team are pretty much over.

temujin
06-26-2013, 11:25 AM

And I would obviously agree with him.