PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Earl Clark

djohn2oo8
06-25-2013, 08:35 AM
How much will he command in free agency?

LkrFan
06-25-2013, 08:44 AM
$2M-$3M. He had a stretch where he was playing well, then he hit the wall. He's not consistent enough to earn more than that IMO.

JamStone
06-25-2013, 08:45 AM
He's made some money with the season he had. Maybe around the MLE or slightly more. I can see a team offering him a 3 year deal in the $15-20M range. And all it takes is one team desperate enough for him to get grossly overpaid something stupid like $40/4 years. And there are plenty of NBA GMs who are either desperate or stupid or both. So it shouldn't surprise anyone if that happens.

I think there will still be teams hesitant and questioning whether he can really put up consistent production, but teams pay for potential all the time. He's a combo forward who has good skill and just enough agility to play SF against a lot of teams, and he isn't at a size disadvantage at PF. There are plenty of teams that could use that type of player.

JamStone
06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
$2M-$3M. He had a stretch where he was playing well, then he hit the wall. He's not consistent enough to earn more than that IMO.

What he's actually worth and what he will actually command are two different things in NBA free agency.

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 08:50 AM
:lmao $15-$20M over 3 years is already grossly overpaying him.

I bet he gets something like 3 years, $8 million.

JamStone
06-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Teams overpay bigs all the time, and if a team believes he can play PF full time, they will. And remember, this is the NBA. Every year, we as fans are dumbfounded by the types of contracts that are being handed out to players we don't think deserve a lick over a minimum salary.

Charlie Villanueva $37M / 5 years
Travis Outlaw $35M / 5 years
Omer Asik $25M / 3 years
Michael Beasley $18M / 3 years

The question wasn't what you think Earl Clark is actually worth, but what he will ultimately command in free agency. He's 25 years old, 6'10, versatile, and in this first season he got a real chance to play, he showed plenty of potential to be a consistent contributor. Again, all it takes is one team that is stupid and/or desperate enough. And I also think there will be a team or two that will overbid just so he doesn't re-sign with the Lakers.

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2013, 09:11 AM
7ft tall who can log minutes...usually get overpaid

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
The guy is 25. Not 22. He was horrendous in the playoffs, shitty in the regular season, and people only know his name because the front of his jersey said Lakers. I think he's getting something in the range of 3 years, $8 million.

AchillesHeel
06-25-2013, 09:17 AM
He said he's willing to take less to stay in LA because they were the first team to give him a chance. I think 2-3 mil sounds about right, he could be a solid role player for years to come. He used to play point guard I think back in his highschool days before his growth spurt, he's a decent playmaker and his jumper is coming along nicely, he's also a good rebounder for his size and he's athletic, a low risk, high reward type of a guy.

I actually think the Spurs could use him, his lack of experience might be intimidating but I think Pop could turn him into a solid back-up 4.

JamStone
06-25-2013, 09:33 AM
The guy is 25. Not 22. He was horrendous in the playoffs, shitty in the regular season, and people only know his name because the front of his jersey said Lakers. I think he's getting something in the range of 3 years, $8 million.

What difference does it make that he's 25 for a guy who will end up getting a 3 or 4 year contract? He'll be 28 by the end of a 3 year deal. He's 25, not 30.

And I wouldn't say he was shitty in the regular season. When he got consistent minutes, he was doing just fine. Look at his January and February months. After that, he did struggle when he started getting inconsistent PT and when Pau returned.

He's a hybrid power forward, which is a growing trend in the NBA. There are teams that could use his size/skillset combination at PF. The only scenario I think he signs for something like $8M over 3 years is to stay with the Lakers because as mentioned they were the first team to give him a real chance and he's being loyal.

Raven
06-25-2013, 10:12 AM
he's one of the big wildcards of this year's free agency, i think he's not worth anything more than the mini mid level and i don't think he'll get grossly overpaid but i really can't be sure, it's possible someone tries to force the lakers to pay him and they just leave him.

Captivus
06-25-2013, 11:08 AM
He had a few very good games this season. Getting rebounds, shooting the 3.
I ll take him for $2 -3 / year.

Rogue
06-25-2013, 10:27 PM
He might be just worth 2-3m a year but he's definitely getting paid with MLE being the floor, because there're many stupid teams and managers around the league

StrengthAndHonor
06-25-2013, 10:38 PM
He'll get paid I think. He made some noise with the Lakers mid season, ESPN was hyping him up at one point.

Kupchak has a history of overpaying. See Luke Walton, Vladimir Radmanovic, Kwame Brown. All made up to $6-$8 mil/yr.