PDA

View Full Version : Spurs possible destination for top 5 FA

coachmac87
06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9419542

Josh Smith and Iggy.

These are just writers speculating on who'd be great fits..but it's cool to see them somewhat being in the mix. But if you'd had to have Smith or Iggy who'd you take??

I'd take Iggy and move Green to the bench..

tmtcsc
06-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Iggy is athletic but he's not a consistent shooter. His other offensive skills are limited too. He doesn't deserve the $$ he's going to be paid. If he came here on the cheap - great. Otherwise, no.

Poolboy5623
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Of course they are " possible"...but likely, or even realistic? No.

coachmac87
06-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Seriously tho. What kind of $$ does he want?? And what teams can offer him what he wants?? Spurs have what top 5 cap room this summer???

Knoxxx
06-25-2013, 12:01 PM
They seem to be talking max contract for IGGY (pass) or just have vague idea of Spurs cap situation. We have $20 million spend minus Bonner. That would to sign two of Iggy/Smith/Splitter. If we can't get any of those guys for $8-10 million per than no thanks.

dallasmaverickslose
06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Don't want any of those guys. I'd rather get a good player from the draft.

SpursDynasty21
06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
It should be an interesting offseason.

Knoxxx
06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Apparently Iggy is opting out a $16 million payday next year. I can't imagine he gets that much annually. Either he is overvaluing himself or wants to win? I guess another possibility is he thinks he is best positioned for a longer term deal at less than $16 million per, I don't get the math of that one tbh.

Chinook
06-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Yes, throw a big long-term deal at a 29-year-old small-forward who relies on athleticism.

That usually works...

mingus
06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Iggy would be a horrible fit. He can't spread the floor well-enough.

coachmac87
06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
4 yr/ $40mil

SenorSpur
06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Maybe it's me, but I personally don't see the Spurs being big players in free agency this summer - outside or resigning their own.

Juggity
06-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Iggy would be a horrible fit. He can't spread the floor well-enough.

You don't hire Iggy for his offense. You hire him for his defense.

emanueldavidginobili
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
The Spurs are going to make an effort to land some one in FA Spurs dont usually make moves in the offseason but they Ned to make a move to help Timmy get #5

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
You don't hire Iggy for his offense. You hire him for his defense.

with Green and Leonard, I don't think a wing defender is our top priority

coachmac87
06-25-2013, 01:36 PM
4 yr/ $40mil

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
No to Iggy. I'd rather see Josh Smith tbh

coachmac87
06-25-2013, 01:43 PM
They can create his own shot and attack the basket. But to me what makes him interesting is he's arguably one of the best passing wing players in the league. He's happy averaging 13/5/5.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Josh Smith and Iggy.

These are just writers speculating on who'd be great fits..but it's cool to see them somewhat being in the mix. But if you'd had to have Smith or Iggy who'd you take??

Iggy is amazing, he is a big upgrade to what we have. He scores just fine and is athletic. Plus Iggy is big enough to play a SF role.

BatManu20
06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Maybe it's me, but I personally don't see the Spurs being big players in free agency this summer - outside or resigning their own.

They likely won't, but we like to speculate cause it's exciting in an otherwise boring offseason. Plus you never know. This year we actually have some money to spend.

BatManu20
06-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Iggy's a nice player but he doesn't deserve what he's going to get paid.

Josh Smith I seriously doubt comes here because 1) Another team will also overpay him, and 2) The Spurs basically decided not to try and pursue a trade for him last season because they thought he "wasn't a Spurs kind of guy" according to David Aldridge.

SpurAddict561
06-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Iggy seems like a Richard Jefferson 2.0 reach by the front office. Josh Smith could be good

Juggity
06-25-2013, 02:03 PM

Fair point, and I agree we don't necessarily need him, but I like him as a player better than I like Josh Smith, for instance.

And you have to admit, the thought of Green, Leonard, Iguodala, and Duncan on the floor at the same time is easily one of if not the best defensive lineup in the NBA.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Iggy seems like a Richard Jefferson 2.0 reach by the front office. Josh Smith could be good

LOL RJ??? Now that you mention that, it makes me very nervous lol. Maybe we don't want Iggy around.....I think Iggy is quite a bit better, but I can see some similarities TBH. That is a big big turn off. Al Jefferson anyone? That's the one player I think the Spurs need the most.

SpurPadre
06-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes, throw a big long-term deal at a 29-year-old small-forward who relies on athleticism.

That usually works...

Which means that IGGY would turn into HWSNBN II.

baseline bum
06-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Fuck signing either of them. The Spurs have no need whatsoever at SF with Leonard here and on a cheap contract. They desperately need a legit backup PG.

spursfan4ever
06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
I would prefer trying to go after David West.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-25-2013, 02:11 PM
I would prefer trying to go after David West.

West is almost 33, and has on and off back problems. No fuckin thank you.

Budkin
06-25-2013, 02:14 PM
The Spurs never get quality free agents.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-25-2013, 02:21 PM
True, but money talks. If someone wants money, and a shot at a ring. San Antonio wouldn't be a bad place this year. They have the negotiating power of making it to the Finals this past season. A Finals they should have won....whoever they court can "be the missing piece." Make them feel special lol. We don't need a lot of quality FA's just one difference maker. If our front office truly believes we can get back and win a ring with the same team, I think we all know they are wrong. A year older for the big 3....we need one more difference maker on this team. It has to happen. Manu is slowing, obviously, Parker is way to inconsistent(IMHO it's due to his size) and Timmy is a beast!!! A 37 year old beast. He is what he is. He needs help. I don't see why we can't resign Splitter, not saying I want that, and still add another quality FA. Of course that means letting a few mediocre players walk. Boner, Neal, Blair, etc. We need to see what we have in Nando anyway, he is a creator and has a lil more size than Neal. We need to give CoJo a few more minutes, Neal leaving does that. Neal is limited on D, and can only really shoot the 3, and doesn't create. With Bonner and Blair gone, Baynes can get more minutes, we don't really know his upside, but we know we get no upside with Bonner and Blair.

Captivus
06-25-2013, 02:23 PM

Exactly. I dont want overestimate Grenn but kmon! We have a cheap starter there that defends and scores. Unless someone tells me Iggy will average 30/15.

johnpaulwall21
06-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Its funny how people talk about the spurs money as if they are fitting the bill for these players. And even more hilarious that they are actually against allstars coming into town.

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Its funny how people talk about the spurs money as if they are fitting the bill for these players. And even more hilarious that they are actually against allstars coming into town.
its not that i don't want iguodala to play for the spurs. its that i think we can make a better acquisition than iguodala with the cap space our team has

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Anyone who can interfere with Kawhi's growth shouldn't be considered.

SenorSpur
06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
They likely won't, but we like to speculate cause it's exciting in an otherwise boring offseason. Plus you never know. This year we actually have some money to spend.

Yeah, it's not like we have a 5ht championship to celebrate.

:bang

Spur|n|Austin
06-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Iggy and RJ couldn't be further from each other in terms of basketball skills..

If I had to choose one it would be Josh Smith, but in reality I don't think I would want either..

Spanklin
06-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Josh Smith and Iggy.

Glad these "pros" are finally listening to everything I've been writing everywhere about Smoove being THE PERFECT fit for Spurs. I'll be so pissed if we don't offer him near max.

Glad my wisdom isn't falling on deaf ears.

coachmac87
06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
If Spurs do sign Iggy. 1 thing will be official...spurs will play a lot of small ball and we will be the best in the league doing so...

ohmwrecker
06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Iggy is a more polished, experienced version of Kawhi. I would rather develop Leonard. Josh Smith would be more of a need filler, but the Spurs ain't getting either one tbh.

Mal
06-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Smith > Evans > Iguoudala are my list of guys, who`d like for 55/5 for Spurs.

tmtcsc
06-25-2013, 04:40 PM
If JR Smith would just grow the F8ck up, he'd be great. He's athletic, can shoot the 3 and drive to the basket. That's the player we could use at the shooting guard position. I just don't know about his head and if he's matured at all. San Antonio's lack of nightlife could get rid of distractions.

temujin
06-25-2013, 04:49 PM
The free agent that should be pursued is Nikola Pekovic.

sjacquemotte
06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
+1,000,000

wildbill2u
06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
The Spurs never get quality free agents.

For various reasons, the Spurs have never picked up a quality free agent--EVER. Those reasons are still in place. We will not pick one up this year either.

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
For various reasons, the Spurs have never picked up a quality free agent--EVER. Those reasons are still in place. We will not pick one up this year either.

i'm beginning to fear this to be true. i mean the biggest FA acquisitions we've made in recent years was Diaw (midseason after being bought out), and not much else really

Budkin
06-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Oh wait... RJ and McDyess!!! nm

coachmac87
06-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Having Leonard and Iggy guarding the LeBron&Wade and Duarnt/Westbrook would do wonders for the Spurs defensively..Danny Green is a good defender but isn't elite...and there is nothing wrong bringing him off the bench and guarding the opposing teams 6th man

spurtech09
06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
don't want to rain on your parade but don't see any of these guys coming to SA......

jermaine
06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Having Leonard and Iggy guarding the LeBron&Wade and Duarnt/Westbrook would do wonders for the Spurs defensively..Danny Green is a good defender but isn't elite...and there is nothing wrong bringing him off the bench and guarding the opposing teams 6th man

I almost nutted thinking about that. Plus Iggy wouldn't have been absent on offense like Green.

jermaine
06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Iggy seems to like being a team guy so he'd fit in anywhere. In Denver he just playee his role.

TXstbobcat
06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
The free agent that should be pursued is Nikola Pekovic.

I think the wolves will match any offer for him.

Russ
06-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Maybe it's me, but I personally don't see the Spurs being big players in free agency this summer.

As opposed to any other summer?

Spurious
06-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Smith could be awesome. And some nights he is. But he'll save you and kill you both...sometimes on alternating plays for a whole night. Make today's Manu a PF without consistent competitive effort or any feel for the game and you have this guy. Of course, Manu's bald spot holds more feel for the game than Smith has in his entire body. Not to mention he lacks Manu's current excuse of old age/fleeting health. Only the Javale McGees of the world make Smith seem to have a halfway reasonable basketball IQ. The Hawks' 11 season ticketholders aren't exactly threatening a boycott if he leaves town. Maybe Pop and the team's core could bring this guy around, but that would be a whole lot of investment to base on hope. As talented as he is, I just don't know if he's really that missing piece.

DPG21920
06-25-2013, 08:40 PM
PEK is a weak defender. He is also much more limited when you have someone who's not injured next to him. He had a great year, and he's very solid, but you can't pay someone that much that can be muted when surrounded by talent.

With regards to the Al Jefferson v Tiago thoughts - that is an interesting one. On paper, Spurs were a stout defense and were built to have a solid inside game. Tiago, while efficient, has shown his limitations repeadetly. The only real teams where post defense are critical are MEM/INDY/LAL essentially. In the West, LAL might not be as critical if they lose Dwight. Even with him, what are the odds of having to play both to get to the finals? The team to beat is obviously MIA and in that situation, Tiago was basically rendered useless. In that situation, would having someone as offensively talented in the low block to punish MIA for going small like Tiago could not make the difference?

Sean Cagney
06-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Fuck signing either of them. The Spurs have no need whatsoever at SF with Leonard here and on a cheap contract. They desperately need a legit backup PG.That is the truth!

TheGreatYacht
06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Maybe it's me, but I personally don't see the Spurs being big players in free agency this summer - outside or resigning their own.No championship for sure next year because Duncan and Parker will be one year older and possibly slower. FO needs to use that cap space to get some help.
The Spurs are going to make an effort to land some one in FA Spurs dont usually make moves in the offseason but they Ned to make a move to help Timmy get #5Thank you.
They can create his own shot and attack the basket. But to me what makes him interesting is he's arguably one of the best passing wing players in the league. He's happy averaging 13/5/5.I think Chipp Engelland would be able to do some wonders with Iggy's shooting.
Iggy is amazing, he is a big upgrade to what we have. He scores just fine and is athletic. Plus Iggy is big enough to play a SF role.I wouldn't mind Iggy coming off the bench to play with the second unit along with Manu. A guy that can pass, defend, rebound, slash to the basket, I mean what else can you ask for? His shooting can improve if he works with Chipp.
Iggy seems like a Richard Jefferson 2.0 reach by the front office. Josh Smith could be goodI disagree. RJ could not do any of the things I mentioned earlier.
LOL RJ??? Now that you mention that, it makes me very nervous lol. Maybe we don't want Iggy around.....I think Iggy is quite a bit better, but I can see some similarities TBH. That is a big big turn off. Al Jefferson anyone? That's the one player I think the Spurs need the most.Same here. Al Jefferson and Jarrett Jack would be nice. Maybe they can be talked into taking "a championship discount."
True, but money talks. If someone wants money, and a shot at a ring. San Antonio wouldn't be a bad place this year. They have the negotiating power of making it to the Finals this past season. A Finals they should have won....whoever they court can "be the missing piece." Make them feel special lol. We don't need a lot of quality FA's just one difference maker. If our front office truly believes we can get back and win a ring with the same team, I think we all know they are wrong. A year older for the big 3....we need one more difference maker on this team. It has to happen. Manu is slowing, obviously, Parker is way to inconsistent(IMHO it's due to his size) and Timmy is a beast!!! A 37 year old beast. He is what he is. He needs help. I don't see why we can't resign Splitter, not saying I want that, and still add another quality FA. Of course that means letting a few mediocre players walk. Boner, Neal, Blair, etc. We need to see what we have in Nando anyway, he is a creator and has a lil more size than Neal. We need to give CoJo a few more minutes, Neal leaving does that. Neal is limited on D, and can only really shoot the 3, and doesn't create. With Bonner and Blair gone, Baynes can get more minutes, we don't really know his upside, but we know we get no upside with Bonner and Blair.Bingo. I don't understand some of the conservatives on these forums that are happy with staying pat while Duncan and TP get a year older. Duncan WILL be 38. This ain't 2009 or 2010 anymore.
For various reasons, the Spurs have never picked up a quality free agent--EVER. Those reasons are still in place. We will not pick one up this year either.Exactly what I meant by conservatives. I don't know if you said what you said because you lost faith in the FO picking up FA's or because you actually endorse the idea but people like yourself are the ones that annoy me the most, almost as much as the Manu fan boys. Wait are you one of them?
Fuck signing either of them. The Spurs have no need whatsoever at SF with Leonard here and on a cheap contract. They desperately need a legit backup PG.As much as I dream seeing Iggy or Tyreke Evans in a Spurs uniform, you are correct. The Spurs number one priority should be to get a backup PG to Tony Parker.

Tim_duncan21
06-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Hopefully we land a decent back up point guard.

$pursDynasty
06-26-2013, 06:46 AM
For me the Spurs should pursue in this order, DH, off the court crap aside, on the court he would perfectly compliment what we have and help transition into the next era, the next great big man in SA. Next would be David West, mauler, leader scorer complimenting TD's play. He is the type of player that gives teams like the Thunder and the Heat fits, heck he used to give the Spurs fits. Third up is Splitter, if you strike out on the first two you have to bring back Splitter. The Spurs first priority is a quality big to pair with TD, ideally one to take over after Timmy is gone but if not that then one that can help maximize TD's last few years. The 2nd thing on the list is a guy that can create his own shot and be the backup ball handler when TP isn't on the floor, since Manu's time as that guy seems to be at an end. That is why I and others are intrigued by Jarret Jack. The Spurs offense seems to stall when TP is off the court or being neutralized. Not talking about likelihood of signing, just who I think they should pursue in order.....Dwight Howard, David West, Tiago Splitter then Jarrett Jack.

exstatic
06-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Apparently Iggy is opting out a $16 million payday next year. I can't imagine he gets that much annually. Either he is overvaluing himself or wants to win? I guess another possibility is he thinks he is best positioned for a longer term deal at less than $16 million per, I don't get the math of that one tbh.

Ding, ding, ding. It's his last big contract.

exstatic
06-26-2013, 07:01 AM
If JR Smith would just grow the F8ck up, he'd be great. He's athletic, can shoot the 3 and drive to the basket. That's the player we could use at the shooting guard position. I just don't know about his head and if he's matured at all. San Antonio's lack of nightlife could get rid of distractions.

That ship has sailed. He is what he is.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-26-2013, 07:29 AM
I still like OJ Mayo at SG. The guy can create and take the ball to hole off the dribble. I think he would thrive in the Spurs system.

Spurs need a SG that can create other than Manu.

As for backup PG. I think Nando will do just fine next year. He just needs to improve his shooting and his defense rotations for next year. He is an unbelievable passer.

Teams towards the end of the season realize that Nando was more than likely going to pass rather than shoot, so they went under picks and left him open. He needs to work with Chip this offseason and get that jumper off the PnR down to an art like Tony.

Spurs have alot of options this year to improve via FA and they will.

heyheymymy
06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
no way on OJ!

dude has a prob with the powder or something, terrible waste of talent, tbh

06-26-2013, 01:52 PM
OJ Mayo is actually a very good fit for the Spurs:

1. He's not an all star yet so he's not out of the Spurs' usual price range. He also has weaknesses (such as getting trigger happy with contested long 2 pointers and turnovers) that bring his value down so It's unlikely he'll cost more than $7-8 million a year. He might be even cheaper since everyone else is chasing bigger names. If the Spurs can get him for $6-7 million, that would pretty good.

2. Even with all his weaknesses, he's only 25 and shoots 40% from the 3 pt line. Mayo also has a nice work ethic and doesn't have much of an ego compared to JR Smith, another shooting guard with a similar position and role. At 25, he still has room to grow, especially in an excellent coaching environment like the Spurs that turned George Hill, Gary Neal, and Danny Green into legitimate NBA guards.

3. Worst case scenario, he's a much better version of Gary Neal that can still play with any squad on the floor because of his 3 point shooting. Best case scenario, he succeeds Ginobili as the 3rd/4th option with Leonard and can run the offense when Parker is on the bench.

4. His fearless scoring mentality is just what the Spurs need to plug the bench after Ginobili's free fall in the finals. Yes, Gary Neal has that mentality too but Mayo is way more talented.

Seventyniner
06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
With regards to the Al Jefferson v Tiago thoughts - that is an interesting one. On paper, Spurs were a stout defense and were built to have a solid inside game. Tiago, while efficient, has shown his limitations repeadetly. The only real teams where post defense are critical are MEM/INDY/LAL essentially. In the West, LAL might not be as critical if they lose Dwight. Even with him, what are the odds of having to play both to get to the finals? The team to beat is obviously MIA and in that situation, Tiago was basically rendered useless. In that situation, would having someone as offensively talented in the low block to punish MIA for going small like Tiago could not make the difference?

Replacing Tiago with Al Jeff doesn't cause defensive problems in the post, it causes massive defensive problems against the pick and roll. Tiago is a good PnR defender and Jefferson is atrocious.

Knoxxx
06-26-2013, 03:06 PM
OK so let's grab Mayo, retain Splitter, and get Jefferson too. How can that be done? Please say waive Bonner!

DPG21920
06-26-2013, 03:07 PM
I would much rather have David West than Al Jeff. Doubt he leaves Indy though, but West would be my preference.

dunkman
06-26-2013, 03:18 PM
If the Spurs were to throw some big contract for a FA, it would be for Howard only. They wouldn't see return of their investment otherwise. Duncan and Parker are the best in the NBA on their positions, and Green and Kawhi have really good production for their contracts. Now, between paying Splitter some big contract and a bit more for Howard, who could play more minutes, rebounds and blocks shots better, its kind of no brainer.

TheGreatYacht
06-26-2013, 03:23 PM
For me the Spurs should pursue in this order, DH, off the court crap aside, on the court he would perfectly compliment what we have and help transition into the next era, the next great big man in SA. Next would be David West, mauler, leader scorer complimenting TD's play. He is the type of player that gives teams like the Thunder and the Heat fits, heck he used to give the Spurs fits. Third up is Splitter, if you strike out on the first two you have to bring back Splitter. The Spurs first priority is a quality big to pair with TD, ideally one to take over after Timmy is gone but if not that then one that can help maximize TD's last few years. The 2nd thing on the list is a guy that can create his own shot and be the backup ball handler when TP isn't on the floor, since Manu's time as that guy seems to be at an end. That is why I and others are intrigued by Jarret Jack. The Spurs offense seems to stall when TP is off the court or being neutralized. Not talking about likelihood of signing, just who I think they should pursue in order.....Dwight Howard, David West, Tiago Splitter then Jarrett Jack.I like this plan. The only thing I would add is that if the Spurs fail to get David West, then they should try to go after Al Jefferson. If Al Jefferson doesn't want to come here, then definately resign Tiago Splitter.
I still like OJ Mayo at SG. The guy can create and take the ball to hole off the dribble. I think he would thrive in the Spurs system.
Spurs need a SG that can create other than Manu.
As for backup PG. I think Nando will do just fine next year. He just needs to improve his shooting and his defense rotations for next year. He is an unbelievable passer.
Teams towards the end of the season realize that Nando was more than likely going to pass rather than shoot, so they went under picks and left him open. He needs to work with Chip this offseason and get that jumper off the PnR down to an art like Tony.
Spurs have alot of options this year to improve via FA and they will.Wrong and wrong. OJ Mayo is very inconsistent. Nando is emo like Dejuan Blair. All Nando does is complain and bitc* to the French media about his playing time. None of those two have Spurs DNA. As a matter of fact, I think the Spurs should trade or wave Nando.
OJ Mayo is actually a very good fit for the Spurs:
1. He's not an all star yet so he's not out of the Spurs' usual price range. He also has weaknesses (such as getting trigger happy with contested long 2 pointers and turnovers) that bring his value down so It's unlikely he'll cost more than $7-8 million a year. He might be even cheaper since everyone else is chasing bigger names. If the Spurs can get him for $6-7 million, that would pretty good.
2. Even with all his weaknesses, he's only 25 and shoots 40% from the 3 pt line. Mayo also has a nice work ethic and doesn't have much of an ego compared to JR Smith, another shooting guard with a similar position and role. At 25, he still has room to grow, especially in an excellent coaching environment like the Spurs that turned George Hill, Gary Neal, and Danny Green into legitimate NBA guards.
3. Worst case scenario, he's a much better version of Gary Neal that can still play with any squad on the floor because of his 3 point shooting. Best case scenario, he succeeds Ginobili as the 3rd/4th option with Leonard and can run the offense when Parker is on the bench.
4. His fearless scoring mentality is just what the Spurs need to plug the bench after Ginobili's free fall in the finals. Yes, Gary Neal has that mentality too but Mayo is way more talented.Again with the OJ May stuff... No, no, and no. The guy is a bum. The guy deserves to be paid at the minimum for all I care. We all saw how OJ Mayo went downhill once Dirk Nowitzki returned. Just imagine how much worse he will be coming off the bench. Get real dude.

I. Hustle
06-26-2013, 03:45 PM
What about Kwame Brown? Do it R.C.!

DPG21920
06-26-2013, 03:53 PM
What's crazy is that for any trade, how good of a throw in could Baynes be? With that ultra cheap contract and his decent ability, I can see many teams asking for him to match salaries.

Fabbs
06-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Of course they are " possible"...but likely, or even realistic? No.
Yep. Just agents working the system, feiging interest in Spurs to float rumors and hope up the dollar for their clients going elsewhere.
Had the Spurs overcome Pop and got legit Championship #5, i do think a few top FAs may have considered the Spurs.
Would have been hilarious to see Dwight Howard spurn Kobitch and LakerRigged, Iinc. and join the frontline with Timmy Duncs.
Now, with no chance at a ring and San Antones burrito small market, no way do the Spurs land a top FA.

mudyez
06-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Yep. Just agents working the system, feiging interest in Spurs to float rumors and hope up the dollar for their clients going elsewhere.
Had the Spurs overcome Pop and got legit Championship #5, i do think a few top FAs may have considered the Spurs.
Would have been hilarious to see Dwight Howard spurn Kobitch and LakerRigged, Iinc. and join the frontline with Timmy Duncs.
Now, with no chance at a ring and San Antones burrito small market, no way do the Spurs land a top FA.

Not sure if #5 would have changed much.

Would you rather jump onto a team that just won out (putting yourself in a can-only-lose-situation) or onto a team that basically made it, but didn't actually make it (your offivially the guy that gets them over the hump if they win now)?

But a major name wont come here anyway and I'm not sure thats bad (remember that Richard Jefferson dude?).

TheGreatYacht
06-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Not sure if #5 would have changed much.

Would you rather jump onto a team that just won out (putting yourself in a can-only-lose-situation) or onto a team that basically made it, but didn't actually make it (your offivially the guy that gets them over the hump if they win now)?

But a major name wont come here anyway and I'm not sure thats bad (remember that Richard Jefferson dude?).I hate everyone that keeps using the "remember Richard Jefferson dude" as an excuse not to sign a free agent. RJ was a big fuc* up by the FO and I think they learned their lesson.

ViceCity84
06-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Dick Jefferson Part Deux

mudyez
06-26-2013, 06:23 PM
I hate everyone that keeps using the "remember Richard Jefferson dude" as an excuse not to sign a free agent. RJ was a big fuc* up by the FO and I think they learned their lesson.

True, but it also shows that FA's are not always the best option. I'd rather don't sign any FA's (of other teams) than pay one I don't like 100% (Mayo, Big-Al, Millsap don't do it for me).

Or put it this way: If we can sign Splitter for less than Big-Al while avoiding to trade away an improved CoJo+firstrounder just to get rid of BigAl' contract(after he pissed bed), it may be a good no move.

For my part: Get Josh Smith(gamble but would look nice next to KL), D12 (which I hate, but who gives us some upside) or KG (only if Timmy is agreeing which is a huge "IF"...and we would have to trade for him!) or focus on resigning Splitter while doing some minor tweeking.

Kidd K
06-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks for posting the article OP. I'm really surprised two experts picked the Spurs as a destination for Iguodala.

I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over thinking we have a real chance of getting him, but man would that be an awesome fuckin fit. Dude is almost exactly what we need/needed last year. A great ballhandler/slasher/defender with size who can play the 2 and the 3. Not to mention very athletic and wil compete for loose balls and rebounds.

He can't shoot like the other perimeter guys on the Spurs, but as we all know, guys who play for us always seem to shoot better after coming here. Plus his shooting isn't so shitty that it's entirely unreliable. It's decent.

I don't think he's a real possibility, but I think they should make a little bit of an effort to see what he thinks about playing for the Spurs and for how much. He would be a fantastic fit. I've wanted him on the Spurs for years.

Josh Smith though, I don't see us getting him. He will want a max deal and not only can we not afford it, but he isn't worth it. If we could get him for a reasonable price I'd like him, but this is one time where I think the "no thanks" option shouldn't make Spurfans seem spoiled or jaded. I really don't think he's worth a max. I didn't want Amar'e back when he got his max either, and look how that turned out. Sometimes dudes just aren't as good as they appear on paper.

coachmac87
06-26-2013, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRfuRtGp8_Y

He's exactly what we need...period