PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Richards reportedly headed for Spurs Summer League team

SundvoldGino20
06-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Confirmed on Woai.com

JR3
06-25-2013, 05:54 PM
always wondered about him...

Darius McCrary
06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Might as well get hopes up again

This tiny-boned, BBALL IQ of minus 90000 havin Brit will have yet another chance.

DesignatedT
06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Wasted pick from everything I've seen so far.

ElNono
06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Did not like last season...

Chinook
06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
He's still only 22. Plenty of time for him to put it together. Glad to see the team still hasn't given up on him.

Baam
06-25-2013, 06:04 PM
He's still only 22. Plenty of time for him to put it together. Glad to see the team still hasn't given up on him.

Don't think there's that much time left, especially since he's on a downward spiral.

TheGreatYacht
06-25-2013, 06:05 PM
I we'll get to see Aaron Baynes in the summer league.

DPG21920
06-25-2013, 06:05 PM
He looks better than Biyombo and he wasn't a lottery pick

Chinook
06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I see no harm in committing to him for a year of two as the sixth big. He really does seem to have a lot of natural abilities. He just hasn't been able to translate that into consistent production. Screams Toros project to me. Keep him in Austin for a couple of years and see what you get.

Solid D
06-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Plane fare is a stiff price to pay for this guy. Spurs doing him a solid...so that other teams can get a look at him.

RD2191
06-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Serious question for the haters, can he be worse than matt bonner?

Darius McCrary
06-25-2013, 06:26 PM
This guy isn't a basketball player. Only Duncan learns how to play as an adult, Richards is an athlete prospect, not a basketball prospect.

SundvoldGino20
06-25-2013, 06:33 PM
But isn't he the 2nd coming of Javtokas?

Darius McCrary
06-25-2013, 06:36 PM
But isn't he the 2nd coming of Javtokas?

Javtokas did not have bottom 5th percentile bone structure size. Seriously, Richards makes Bosh look like Shaq.

BatManu20
06-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Was wondering what happened to that old bloke. Hope he turns it around. He's got good size and touch around the basket, just needs to put it all together.

eQP90KvJvaY

Uriel
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
With Bertans' torn ACL, Richards may be our most interesting prospect in the pipeline right now (besides Hanga).

Russ
06-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Javtokas did not have bottom 5th percentile bone structure size. Seriously, Richards makes Bosh look like Shaq.

Reminds of my reaction a couple years ago when Richards had shoulder surgery.

"To create them, you mean?"

Shifty
06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
:pop:: He dunks. So no.

Does someone know who he was playing against in that video. I'm amazed how weak the defense was, specially in those spin moves.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2013, 07:31 PM
:pop:: He dunks. So no.

Does someone know who he was playing against in that video. I'm amazed how weak the defense was, specially in those spin moves.

I think that's in the Polish league. That's been another knock on him, that his progress can't really be measured because he's been playing in lower-level leagues.

jyra
06-25-2013, 07:36 PM
I think this is more about Richards angling for a contract with decent team in Europe than the Spurs really being interested in bringing him over. Until he starts playing good minutes in a respectable league like Spain/Germany/France/Russia/Italy/Serbia it's very difficult to take him seriously at all.

dallasmaverickslose
06-25-2013, 07:37 PM
He doesn't look very promising tbh. Plus, he's pretty light and not very strong.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-25-2013, 07:42 PM
The guy has a bunch of potential, what's the worst that can happen? Good size, not as skinny as some on this thread are saying, and he has a very quick first step. He needs to learn how to read the defender's body when posting up. Remember, he can also shoot the elbow jumper really well. He has potential, might as well try. A summer with Duncan would make a world of difference in his game.

dallasmaverickslose
06-25-2013, 07:43 PM
The guy has a bunch of potential, what's the worst that can happen? Good size, not as skinny as some on this thread are saying, and he has a very quick first step. He needs to learn how to read the defender's body when posting up. Remember, he can also shoot the elbow jumper really well. He has potential, might as well try. A summer with Duncan would make a world of difference in his game.

I guess we could just dump him on the Toros until he can prove he's worth a shit.

HankChinaski
06-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Well at least the spurs staff can evaluate first hand what improvements in his game if any he has made in the last year and whether he can manage against Nba level prospects

BatManu20
06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
I know the competition is garbage, but how you can have that combination of size, athleticism, and shooting ability and not be at least competing for an NBA roster tbh. And he's coordinated.

I think playing against that level of comp is hurting him bad. Let him play for the Toros for a couple seasons and see what happens.

8Fj1kBo0uJs

0FsDiJgfXM8

Jwash_1986
06-25-2013, 08:02 PM
I like the Kid. He doesn't go up like he was born without testicles. I will agree he needs to show maturity and accountability. He needs to show willingness to want to learn and elevate his game, otherwise spurs won't take him serious regardless how talented he is. Hope he doesn't waste it away. And I think it probably would help if he had a mentor or support cast. I'm just speculating on the last part but that could be the case for his attitude and approach towards the game.

DesignatedT
06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3uzaso.jpg

Chinook
06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
As a fan, I'd like to see them bring him in. He can do things that no other big on the roster can do. He has the handles, mobility and range to be a combo-forward, but he'd be one of the tallest players in the NBA at 7-2. If he can even get Joseph levels of NBA-readiness, he can be a productive player. But seeing as Joseph put in a lot of work to come as far as he has, that's not a given for Richards.

cd021
06-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Wasted pick from everything I've seen so far.

Can you really waste a 2nd rounder? Most don't even play in the league any way. An athletic big who was drafted as a teen is a solid investment.

spursince#99
06-25-2013, 08:39 PM
This guy is sad man. All that talent being wasted.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Might as well get hopes up again

This tiny-boned, BBALL IQ of minus 90000 havin Brit will have yet another chance.

He is 7'0" 250lbs. That's Duncan size just to let you know. Next to Noels he looks like Shaq. And his BB IQ isn't that low. Its decent but his athleticism is through the roof for a 7 ft. He shot 37% for 3p, 50%+ fg and 80% FT last year as well. So the guy can actually shoot for a bigman.

To me, he is Javale McGee with a way better jumpshot and handles. I think he can still be a pretty good player in the NBA. Those two shoulder surgeries in 3 years just set him back a bit.

Darius McCrary
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
He is 7'0" 250lbs. That's Duncan size just to let you know. Next to Noels he looks like Shaq. And his BB IQ isn't that low. Its decent but his athleticism is through the roof for a 7 ft. He shot 37% for 3p are last year as well.

To me, he is s stronger Javale McGee with a way better jumpshot and handles. I think he can still be a pretty good player in the NBA. Those two shoulder surgeries in 3 years just set him back a bit.
nahhhhh nahhh

Anyone who's watched the kid in summer league knows he has a very thin bone structure. To boot he's not a basketball player. So he's basically a skinny tall athlete with added muscle running around trying to figure out how to play basketball.
He sucks, but we can hope.

BackHome
06-25-2013, 09:04 PM
He doesn't look very promising tbh. Plus, he's pretty light and not very strong.

He maybe light but the dude is tough he won't back down from a fight.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-25-2013, 09:05 PM
nahhhhh nahhh

Anyone who's watched the kid in summer league knows he has a very thin bone structure. To boot he's not a basketball player. So he's basically a random tall athlete with added muscle running around trying to figure out how to play basketball.
He sucks, but we can hope.

He looked lost out there. Look at Joseph first Summer League. He looked like garbage and didn't know what to do with the ball. There is so much movement and screens in the Spurs system its take awhile for a player to know all the rotations. Even Splitter and most vets that come to the Spurs in general saids it takes about a year to learn the system and usually your lost initially.

Now that he has some familiarity with the Spurs working him out and attending the Summer League last year, I am curious how he performs next month. And he isn't small. 7'0" and 250lbs is NOT SMALL.

BackHome
06-25-2013, 09:05 PM
This guy isn't a basketball player. Only Duncan learns how to play as an adult, Richards is an athlete prospect, not a basketball prospect.

At that is were most of the top ten people drafted are based more as a athlete then a ball player.

Darius McCrary
06-25-2013, 09:11 PM
He looked lost out there. Look at Joseph first Summer League. He looked like garbage and didn't know what to do with the ball. There is so much movement and screens in the Spurs system its take awhile for a player to know all the rotations. Even Splitter and most vets that come to the Spurs in general saids it takes about a year to learn the system and usually your lost initially.

Now that he has some familiarity with the Spurs working him out and attending the Summer League last year, I am curious how he performs next month. And he isn't small. 7'0" and 250lbs is NOT SMALL.

Alright, hey, I'm not gonna troll or be trolled by GNSF after what happened last week....

But you cannot compare CoJo and Richards in any way. Cory displayed composure, steady ball handling, and leadership in college. Under bright lights. Furthermore most things he did and does that look bad are fixable (dribbling while leaning over to make himself 2 feet shorter, he used to have a crazy unnecessary arc on his jumper, etc)

Ryan Richards does things that make you realize he's not a bball player. Because he isn't. Spurs took a flyer on an athlete who didn't develop.

My money says we never hear about Richards ever again after this summer league.

Darius McCrary
06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
At that is were most of the top ten people drafted are based more as a athlete then a ball player.

Incorrect buddy, most (if not all) of those homegrown freak athletes have done their mandatory 1 year penance in college. And therefore have played higher quality competition than Richards.

Chinook
06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Look at Joseph first Summer League. He looked like garbage and didn't know what to do with the ball.

I agree in general, but this statement is not true. Joseph's first summer league was last July and August, and he looked very good. There was no summer league before his and Leonard's rookie season.

ace3g
06-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Lamar Odom-lite

playblair
06-25-2013, 10:47 PM
hatersssssssssssss everywhere son................ same lump group of poster in this thread hated on cojo........... dont trust the haters................richards.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bonner.......... haters will become believers ala cojo haters...........................

PlayNando
06-25-2013, 10:49 PM
hatersssssssssssss everywhere son................ same lump group of poster in this thread hated on cojo........... dont trust the haters................richards.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bonner.......... haters will become believers ala cojo haters...........................
Blair > Richards, though, tbh?

playblair
06-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Blair > Richards, though, tbh?

torn on that issue.................... blair/richards>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bonner......................

PlayNando
06-25-2013, 11:02 PM
torn on that issue.................... blair/richards>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bonner......................
agreed................................

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Can you really waste a 2nd rounder? Most don't even play in the league any way. An athletic big who was drafted as a teen is a solid investment.

Indeed. Spur fan thinks every draft pick will be an All-Star.

TrainOfThought5
06-26-2013, 02:37 AM
Serious question for the haters, can he be worse than matt bonner?

any other year... it would be "possible".

This past year?? Bonner was the fourth best big. and sometimes the third.

TrainOfThought5
06-26-2013, 02:41 AM
This guy is sad man. All that talent being wasted.

100 million dollar body.

1.50 mind.

Mal
06-26-2013, 03:09 AM
Lol, send him away

ChumpDumper
06-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Bone structure size?

Atl Spur
06-26-2013, 05:07 AM
After all, everyone knew Gary Neal, Danny Green etc....would do well in the NBA right? Give the cat a chance before rushing to judgment.

DapDaGenius
06-26-2013, 05:36 AM
I hope Richards gets a chance with us, along with Hanga.

Ocotillo
06-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Could be Fab Oberto's first project if he gets the job.

sasffl
06-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Is it gonna be his last chance to make a spot in the roster?

freetiago
06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
bring this guy in
hes the athletic monkeyballer who wont throw it down soft all Spurfans claim they want

Knoxxx
06-26-2013, 10:18 AM
As a fan, I'd like to see them bring him in. He can do things that no other big on the roster can do. He has the handles, mobility and range to be a combo-forward, but he'd be one of the tallest players in the NBA at 7-2. If he can even get Joseph levels of NBA-readiness, he can be a productive player. But seeing as Joseph put in a lot of work to come as far as he has, that's not a given for Richards.

Draft express has him 6-10.5 without shoes, 6-11.75 with. Did he grow a couple inches then?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Draft express has him 6-10.5 without shoes, 6-11.75 with. Did he grow a couple inches then?

Yes, he is now 7'0" w/o shoes. Remember he only just turned 19 years old when the Spurs drafted him. So he is probably like 7'1 1/2" w/ shoes now.

Knoxxx
06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Yes, he is now 7'0" w/o shoes. Remember he only just turned 19 years old when the Spurs drafted him. So he is probably like 7'1 1/2" w/ shoes now.

That sounds like great news, probably an increased wingspan then too. Where did you get that info, is it on the net and if so can you post the link?

All that considered, not convinced he can stay on the floor against the Heat which is a paramount issue we need to address. Make no mistake, we need a couple more pieces to get over that hump. I don't blame the large majority that believes Richards is not one of the pieces.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-26-2013, 12:31 PM
That sounds like great news, probably an increased wingspan then too. Where did you get that info, is it on the net and if so can you post the link?

All that considered, not convinced he can stay on the floor against the Heat which is a paramount issue we need to address. Make no mistake, we need a couple more pieces to get over that hump. I don't blame the large majority that believes Richards is not one of the pieces.

It's on the Eurobasketball website. You check out all his stats this year as well.

heyheymymy
06-26-2013, 01:36 PM
im super optimistic, but it sounds like another ian mahinmi sitch to me.

god i hope im wrong, we only need a few more diamond in the rough young guns like green and we are looking good.

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
It's not the physical attributes, its the mental.. gotta see if this guy is ready for the real deal.

ace3g
06-26-2013, 02:31 PM
His stats last year in SL

http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/players/sl_ryan_richards/

Chinook
06-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I thought he started to get better as the games went on. He just needs coaching.

Knoxxx
06-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I thought he started to get better as the games went on. He just needs coaching.

That's the thing, even some of the best NBA talents fail or underachieve without the right environment which includes solid coaching, positive team atmosphere, etc.

SnakeBoy
06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Good article on him...

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/ryan-richards-spurs-vegas-summer-league

cd021
06-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Indeed. Spur fan thinks every draft pick will be an All-Star.

Exactly. Even if this guy can be a rotation player for the spurs for a few seasons, it would be a steal.

Chinook
06-26-2013, 06:20 PM
I will say, though, that the 2010 draft was sort of disappointing the team had its highest picks (20 and 49) since Duncan was drafted and came out of it with two players who aren't on the team. They even picked up DaSean Butler who had to retire due to knee issues.

The year before, players like Taj Gibson and pre-injury Beaubois were available at 20, and the year after Mirotic and Faried were still around. Actually, there have been good players picked around 20 in most years; the Spurs just got unlucky to get a high pick in such a bad draft.

exstatic
06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
I will say, though, that the 2010 draft was sort of disappointing the team had its highest picks (20 and 49) since Duncan was drafted and came out of it with two players who aren't on the team. They even picked up DaSean Butler who had to retire due to knee issues.

The year before, players like Taj Gibson and pre-injury Beaubois were available at 20, and the year after Mirotic and Faried were still around. Actually, there have been good players picked around 20 in most years; the Spurs just got unlucky to get a high pick in such a bad draft.

I actually wouldn't be shocked to see James Anderson back as Kawhi's backup next year. Houston's going to cut him for cap room. He played VERY WELL last fall in his emergency callup when Kawhi went down. It seemed like he was more loose coming back, no longer the draft bust, just a guy who got called up. He shot 44% from the field, 45.5% from the arc and 78% from the stripe, playing about 9-10 minutes, exactly what we'd need from Kawhi's backup.

Chinook
06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
I actually wouldn't be shocked to see James Anderson back as Kawhi's backup next year. Houston's going to cut him for cap room. He played VERY WELL last fall in his emergency callup when Kawhi went down. It seemed like he was more loose coming back, no longer the draft bust, just a guy who got called up. He shot 44% from the field, 45.5% from the arc and 78% from the stripe, playing about 9-10 minutes, exactly what we'd need from Kawhi's backup.

I wouldn't either. His advanced stats last season were actually pretty good, and since he wouldn't be getting more minutes in San Antonio, there's little worry about that translating in a bigger role. I'd actually like to trade for him instead of signing him, as he's on a pretty good contract right now. If the Spurs trade for Robinson, Anderson could well be a throw-in contract.

BackHome
06-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Isn't he a SG though?

SundvoldGino20
06-27-2013, 12:32 PM
He is officially a champion for the Vienna team!http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/june/ryan-richards-vienna-capture-austrian-championship.html

ColinB
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Dude should be averaging 50 points a game if he is playing with guys like this in that league...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/942053_525669424157322_330172550_n.jpg

SundvoldGino20
06-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Disappointed in this draft? Well, we got a British Champion possibly on board for next season!