PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: Celtics: Will They Fall Below Mediocrity Next Year TBH?

Calispursfan11
06-26-2013, 06:58 AM
With Rivers happily landing with the Clippers for a max coach/vp deal and KG and Pierce's futures with the team uncertain, are the Celtics lottery bound or close to it next year even in the weak Eastern Conference? I think if Rondo comes back strong, they retain KG, Pierce and Green and their injured role players from last year return healthy, they can still be threat to make significant noise in the playoffs. However, it does not appear that the Celtics are committed to putting a lot of effort to keep the aging 2 of the remaining big three next year which makes this only a possibility. Thoughts?

AchillesHeel
06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
I think they'll be around 7 seed again if Rondo doesn't decline.

baseline bum
06-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Apparently so. LOL LnGrrrrr.

AchillesHeel
06-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Ok, after the supposed trade I'd say a 9-10 spot in the Conference if Rondo plays on most nights. If they trade him and actually rebuild, I see them at the bottom.

Texas_Ranger
06-28-2013, 12:23 AM
meh, they still better than the Bobcats....

Rogue
06-28-2013, 01:02 AM
They won't fall there, they will go there on purpose because they've gone tanking mode. there ain't no feast that can last forever, at least the big-3 brought them some nostalgic memories and they should feel content with what they've got. there're 30 teams in the league but only 6 of them have won the championship since the turn of this century

LnGrrrR
06-28-2013, 03:50 AM
This thread wins the "Easily Fucking Answered" award.

hows the draft class of 2015?

The Reckoning
06-28-2013, 03:52 AM
anyone have a link to celtics forums? would like to see the meltdown happening right now. thx.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2013, 03:57 AM
:lol This is the only forum I frequent, are my tears not enough? :cry :cry

Venti Quattro
06-28-2013, 04:11 AM
I still cannot believe that they did that to Paul Pierce.

skmblz
06-28-2013, 05:41 AM

i thought he will retire as a celtic :depressed

LnGrrrR
06-28-2013, 06:42 AM

This is Ainge you are talking about.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2013, 07:17 AM
lol i dunno whats the point of tanking next season when half the league is in tank mode

Captivus
06-28-2013, 07:28 AM
How many Assists will Rondo average next season??
5?

Calispursfan11
06-28-2013, 08:19 AM

Awwe man. I didn't know they were gonna do that to Paul Pierce tbh when I created this thread tbh. Sorry though. Det chit fucked.

Calispursfan11
06-28-2013, 08:19 AM
How many Assists will Rondo average next season??
5?

less fo sho lol.

Calispursfan11
06-28-2013, 08:21 AM
anyone have a link to celtics forums? would like to see the meltdown happening right now. thx.

That's too bad. As sad as it is to see this happen to dem old cats, it's nice to watch someone other than Spurfan meltdown for a change. This offseason is already getting interesting. Wonder what else is in store tbh.

LkrFan
06-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Here you go son: Celtics Blog (http://www.celticsblog.com/)

JamStone
06-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Tbh, the deal would be fine and make perfect sense if the Celtics didn't take Gerald Wallace's contract in return. If they are going to hold a firesale and rebuild, then taking on that contract makes no sense. I realize the contract had to be included to match salaries, but if that's the case, then don't do the deal. $10M for the next 3 seasons? No sense.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2013, 12:19 PM
I liked Gerald Wallace, like, 3 seasons ago. Does that count?

And I'm guessing they'll just deal with Wallace for a year or two, then try to trade him as an expiring as soon as they can.

jimbo
06-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Everything Ainge has ever said has indicated he'd do this. He doesn't want Boston to go through another post Bird era again. Ripping the bandaid off vs pulling it off slowly

He'll probably tell Rondo to just statpad all day cause they're tanking hard. I wouldn't care much about Gerald Wallace's salary since by the time they'd be contenders again he'd be off the books or at least an expiring.

Raven
06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
i think they will still make some moves to get worse, like unload crash for an expiring or something. rigth now they have too many veteran players to tank.

DPG21920
06-28-2013, 12:35 PM
It's too early to tell at this point how this trade works out. They did not get any additional cap space really at this point by doing the trade. BOS could have traded PP and had a 0 cap hit, or even waived him and only paid 5M this year. KG was only owed 6M next year and they didn't do that (or they could have traded him for expiring). If they wanted a cap space trade, this was not it.

But if they tank and land a stud next year, plus a couple of the picks pan out, they will probably be in good shape. It's a long tailed trade.

DPG21920
06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
The trouble with my scenario is KG. It seems as if BOS knew the only way to trade KG and PP would be together. That obviously limits the teams willing to do such a trade.

baseline bum
06-28-2013, 12:37 PM

Serious question... do you want them to dump Rondo so they can properly tank? Or is that a 4-letter word in Boston since they lost out on Duncan and then Oden/Durant the two times they really tried to do it?

Also, which day was worse? Yesterday, or the day uncle sam tried to send your ass to scenic New Mexico?

baseline bum
06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
I had this in another reply but thought it was a good topic on its own.

To me, and most Ainge fans, the events of last night are evidence of what separates Danny Ainge from other GM's.
(And our owners/organization that back him up for that matter)

Danny's not afraid to gamble. He's also not interested in mediocrity. I'm seeing people wonder why we don't use the caproom to go after Josh Smith, Al Jeff, Verajao etc.. so we can contend.

What team are Rondo and Jefferson and Green taking past the 2nd round against the Bulls, Miami and Pacers? Let alone the Grizzlies, OKC etc in the West?
People are willing to spend our caproom on free agents like Josh Smith or Al Jeff and Verajao blah blah blah.
That team is handicapped salary wise for 4-5 years and doesn't get out of the 2nd round unless Derrick Rose or Lebron go down for a full season.
Yet they complain about Gerald Wallace for 3 seasons to get our hands on THREE first rounders AND the guarantee that we'll properly STINK enough to have a great shot at a game changing draft pick. Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Pierce, KG- they all came out of the draft. Nowitzki came at 9. Pierce came at 10 behind him in the same draft! Danny bought back into the draft to get Rondo at #21 too!

As another forum member mentioned, we now have NINE first round picks over 5 years to play with.

We take back Wallace because the money must be spent somewhere. He sucks. His contract sucks. That's the point. He ain't helping us win games but his contract helps us stay close to the minimum salary cap threshold.
There just aren't any free agents out there good enough for Danny to commit to long term. So at this point, our best possible shot at a title is to tank and collect assets, waiting for those free agents to become available or for game changers to be on the block. (Kevin Love, Kevin Durant, Lamarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol). They're all going to be open to talks with other teams in the near future. And they're going to be there with or without Wiggins or Jabari Parker.

This isn't a one year program. It's at least a 3 year journey. It probably means Rondo is gone too- Danny is probably just waiting for the right offer. And really, he can wait because Rondo's got 2 years of offers coming our way before we do anything. If he pouts and acts out, that's great because it means we suck even more. If he plays well, his trade value goes up and we most likely get another top 10 pick in 2014.

Why are people whining about Gerald Wallace's deal? Danny knows he sucks. This is called a rebuild. He's the PERFECT candidate for a salary stuffer.
Hell if we move Rondo in February for another lotto pick hopefully we'll put a 5 out there of:

*rookie pg
*Bradley
*Green
*Sully
*Olnyk

with Melo, Lee and Jordan Crawford off the bench.
We'll suck so bad but we'll also have a great shot at Wiggins or Parker. If we miss out on them, there are another 5-8 possible All Stars in that draft. One of them and all the assets Danny will have collected gives us the ability to make another monster trade when some game changing free agents are available.
Josh Smith, Al Jeff, Verajao- all great players, but they command too much money and aren't leading us to banner 18.

This is why Danny is the best. He shoots for the moon but always has a backup plan incase we get unlucky in the draft.
He also doesn't care about filling seats. He cares about championships. I think this time he's going to try and build a championship team from the ground up and he's basically waiting for the best offer for Rondo.

The only other option is that he sits Rondo most of next year, lets the youngins tank, prays for Wiggins/Parker, then brings back Rondo with Green, Wiggins, Rondo and a max player while we wait for Wallace to expire.
We'll have enough assets in young players and picks that every team will talk to us.

This is why Ainge is GM and we are not.
All he cares about is championships because that's what the Celtics are about.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Serious question... do you want them to dump Rondo so they can properly tank? Or is that a 4-letter word in Boston since they lost out on Duncan and then Oden/Durant the two times they really tried to do it?

Also, which day was worse? Yesterday, or the day uncle sam tried to send your ass to scenic New Mexico?

The day they were going to send me to New Mexico, by far. :D I have other sports teams to root on.

And I can't see this team going anywhere with just Rondo. I guess they could give it a year to see if Rondo can take over as "the man", but I think there's an 80% chance Rondo just gets pissy that they traded his friends. Besides, Rondo's value is pretty decent right now... if he sucks next year without KG/PP it will tank.

Besides, third time's a charm, right? And they WAY more opportunities to tank now! This year, next year, the year after that....

LnGrrrR
06-28-2013, 01:23 PM
And that poster you quoted isn't too far off. The sentimental side of me wanted to keep them together, but if you're blowing it up, might as well go big. That's why I see them trading Rondo too... Ainge is always trying to trade him anyways. The one thing Rondo has going for him is that he's still young. In fact, the "core" of our team got much younger. Starting five:

PG - Rondo
SG - Bradley
C - Some guy
PF - Sullinger
SF - Green

If Green can build on the slight progression from last year, and we get a semi-decent body at C, we have a decent team going forward. Tanking will hopefully make our guys hungry. And hey, more picks = more chances at a game-changer. Ainge's evaluations have been boom or bust. Just gotta hope he booms.

Rogue
06-28-2013, 07:57 PM
G-force used to be considered an equivalent to the prime smokey back in the day. G-force's prime lasted a bit longer but he's also pretty much done as of now tbh

Raven
06-28-2013, 08:15 PM
i think they will be better than they are given credit for, i mean green, bradley, rondo can very much be considered the core, they are all good and a very good fit for each other. They lack a little 3 shooting so bradley shoudl fix that, but otherwise they are good enough. The problem are the bigs, bass is a complete bust, melo and sullinger are both unreliable at this point and olynik is another that could be a bust.. still, they have already a young starting five to develop, i don't see them tanking that badly for wiggins, just play the young core and let them try to win.

Calispursfan11
06-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Here you go son: Celtics Blog (http://www.celticsblog.com/)

I'm afraid to click tbh. I think it's going to be ugly. Lngrrr times 10 tbh.

The Reckoning
06-28-2013, 11:30 PM
really sad blog....

"The Celtics' Inglorious End"

Calispursfan11
06-28-2013, 11:52 PM
really sad blog....

"The Celtics' Inglorious End"
Da movie inglorious basterds was aight tho tbh. LnGrrrR should check it out instead of spiraling into depression tbh.

Kulo
06-29-2013, 04:42 AM
I had this in another reply but thought it was a good topic on its own.

To me, and most Ainge fans, the events of last night are evidence of what separates Danny Ainge from other GM's.
(And our owners/organization that back him up for that matter)

Danny's not afraid to gamble. He's also not interested in mediocrity. I'm seeing people wonder why we don't use the caproom to go after Josh Smith, Al Jeff, Verajao etc.. so we can contend.

What team are Rondo and Jefferson and Green taking past the 2nd round against the Bulls, Miami and Pacers? Let alone the Grizzlies, OKC etc in the West?
People are willing to spend our caproom on free agents like Josh Smith or Al Jeff and Verajao blah blah blah.
That team is handicapped salary wise for 4-5 years and doesn't get out of the 2nd round unless Derrick Rose or Lebron go down for a full season.
Yet they complain about Gerald Wallace for 3 seasons to get our hands on THREE first rounders AND the guarantee that we'll properly STINK enough to have a great shot at a game changing draft pick. Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Pierce, KG- they all came out of the draft. Nowitzki came at 9. Pierce came at 10 behind him in the same draft! Danny bought back into the draft to get Rondo at #21 too!

As another forum member mentioned, we now have NINE first round picks over 5 years to play with.

We take back Wallace because the money must be spent somewhere. He sucks. His contract sucks. That's the point. He ain't helping us win games but his contract helps us stay close to the minimum salary cap threshold.
There just aren't any free agents out there good enough for Danny to commit to long term. So at this point, our best possible shot at a title is to tank and collect assets, waiting for those free agents to become available or for game changers to be on the block. (Kevin Love, Kevin Durant, Lamarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol). They're all going to be open to talks with other teams in the near future. And they're going to be there with or without Wiggins or Jabari Parker.

This isn't a one year program. It's at least a 3 year journey. It probably means Rondo is gone too- Danny is probably just waiting for the right offer. And really, he can wait because Rondo's got 2 years of offers coming our way before we do anything. If he pouts and acts out, that's great because it means we suck even more. If he plays well, his trade value goes up and we most likely get another top 10 pick in 2014.

Why are people whining about Gerald Wallace's deal? Danny knows he sucks. This is called a rebuild. He's the PERFECT candidate for a salary stuffer.
Hell if we move Rondo in February for another lotto pick hopefully we'll put a 5 out there of:

*rookie pg
*Bradley
*Green
*Sully
*Olnyk

with Melo, Lee and Jordan Crawford off the bench.
We'll suck so bad but we'll also have a great shot at Wiggins or Parker. If we miss out on them, there are another 5-8 possible All Stars in that draft. One of them and all the assets Danny will have collected gives us the ability to make another monster trade when some game changing free agents are available.
Josh Smith, Al Jeff, Verajao- all great players, but they command too much money and aren't leading us to banner 18.

This is why Danny is the best. He shoots for the moon but always has a backup plan incase we get unlucky in the draft.
He also doesn't care about filling seats. He cares about championships. I think this time he's going to try and build a championship team from the ground up and he's basically waiting for the best offer for Rondo.

The only other option is that he sits Rondo most of next year, lets the youngins tank, prays for Wiggins/Parker, then brings back Rondo with Green, Wiggins, Rondo and a max player while we wait for Wallace to expire.
We'll have enough assets in young players and picks that every team will talk to us.

This is why Ainge is GM and we are not.
All he cares about is championships because that's what the Celtics are about.
Agreed, these shit house celtic blog sites claiming that Ainge is a shit GM are driving me insane