PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here think that next season we can be the #1 defensive team?

look_at_g_shred
06-26-2013, 12:53 PM
I think so. With all this trade/draft/free agent talk, I though I'd start focusing on something I'd like to see next season. Oh, and if there is a guy we could draft/sign to help us be the best defensive team, please go ahead and mention it. The playoff run that we had gave a lot of confidence to our bread and butter defensive studs (Leonard, Green). The series that really stands out to me other than the Finals is the GSW series where Green really shined by literally shutting down Curry after Game 1 of that series. Leonard played a big part in the GSW series by rebounding the ball at a high level. Little did we know that the next two series after that he would flourish in that part of his game. In the finals, Green and Leonard went up against Wade and James. No easy task. They both did great jobs defensively. Looking back, I believe this run will make them better defensively, and they can only get better. If Duncan can withhold his defensive mold he had this past season along with picking up a player like Aminu or another defensive guy, and Joseph (a defense savvy player who is great at rebounding for his position) filling that back-up PG spot also having a center that can pack the paint a deter shots( if its still Splitter hopefully his balls drop), I think we can fight for the top defensive spot in the league. Discuss.

tesseractive
06-26-2013, 04:48 PM
injuries, tbh

Floyd Pacquiao
06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Gotta get rid of Neal tbh

spursmvp
06-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Until we can get some defensive rebounds we will never be a #1 defensive team.

SA210
06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
small ball says no

elemento
06-26-2013, 04:57 PM
No

phxspurfan
06-26-2013, 05:16 PM
That goes to the Heatles.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-26-2013, 06:15 PM
It's possible. We will need a whole lotta growth from Leonard and Green to get there. Plus getting a real big man pairing for Tim helps. Splitter can hold it down in the regular season. But when the playoffs come we will be in trouble.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-26-2013, 06:25 PM
^did you not see the playoffs? did you not see splitters work againt pau? his pick and roll D against Golden State? did you not see him shut down z-bo?

houston spurs fan
06-26-2013, 08:11 PM
No

McGusto55
06-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Need to get rid of bonner,Neal... And no I'm still not over game 6...

therealtruth
06-26-2013, 09:19 PM
small ball says no

Exactly. I predict we'll be the #1 defensive team in the season/playoffs until the opposing coach decides to play small ball. Pop will readily oblige and throw away his #1 defense to try and outscore the other team.

It's insanity. Why does Pop keep doing the same thing?

therealtruth
06-26-2013, 09:25 PM
^did you not see the playoffs? did you not see splitters work againt pau? his pick and roll D against Golden State? did you not see him shut down z-bo?

Splitter's value is more than in the boxscore. Only guys who know basketball tend to appreciate it. I think Pop overreacted to Mike Miller starting by pulling him.

SA210
06-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Exactly. I predict we'll be the #1 defensive team in the season/playoffs until the opposing coach decides to play small ball. Pop will readily oblige and throw away his #1 defense to try and outscore the other team.

Truth

SA210
06-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Splitter's value is more than in the boxscore. Only guys who know basketball tend to appreciate it. I think Pop overreacted to Mike Miller starting by pulling him.

Yup

TheGreatYacht
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
It's possible. We will need a whole lotta growth from Leonard and Green to get there. Plus getting a real big man pairing for Tim helps. Splitter can hold it down in the regular season. But when the playoffs come we will be in trouble.Both have valid points. I just think that the Heat was a bad matchup for Tiago Splitter to play. Doesn't help Tiago's confidence when he's getting his shots blocked by midgets. The Heat are a terrible matchup for most teams in the NBA. I still think the Spurs should go after a big that knows how to take advantage of matchups or smaller guys defending him. David West or Al Jefferson would fit the bill TBH.

chapnis
06-26-2013, 10:52 PM
No, but top 5, maybe top 3,

ThaBigFundamental21
06-26-2013, 10:55 PM
We can be number 1, if we get Timmy a real big man to play with, or get Iggy over here. You gotta think, Timmy will lose a half a step, Manu yet another. Parker is getting to that age where we will see a stop get lost. He will be 32 this year, and relies on speed. Leonard will improve on the flip side, and likely Green.

Our D will be solid, but remember we couldn't get a stop on Lebron to save our lives during stretches. Not that any teams can when he is going to the hole like that. Sometimes I just felt so helpless watching him do work, and I know the Spurs did too. Gotta give him credit. But another big man would really help our D a lot. I'm excited to see Baynes play a few more minutes, you gotta think a year in our system should really help him out, and Pop's confidence in him.

mrjap2x
06-27-2013, 12:35 AM
We have the potential to do so but I don't think we will get. Some reasons are some players who are not as good defensively might get more minutes in the regular season, and pop might give small ball more time just to get more used to it.

elmanutres
06-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Indiana will still be #1 defense next season.

tesseractive
06-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Are you really this confused? When we go to smallball to match another team, it's not so that we can score more -- we score just fine in our base offense. It's because we're having trouble defending their players with guys who are slower. The while premise that we're hurting our defense by reducing the number off open shots they get is preposterous.

silverblk mystix
06-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Both have valid points. I just think that the Heat was a bad matchup for Tiago Splitter to play. Doesn't help Tiago's confidence when he's getting his shots blocked by midgets. The Heat are a terrible matchup for most teams in the NBA. I still think the Spurs should go after a big that knows how to take advantage of matchups or smaller guys defending him. David West or Al Jefferson would fit the bill TBH.

Every year or two - some team - is a matchup nightmare - for other teams. Suddenly every team wants to find that ONE PIECE that will solve this problem.

Example....Pop scrambling when he couldn't "match" the Lakers size (Bynum/Gasol)....

Next...Pop scrambling to find a "Nowitzki stopper" ....

Now Pop is scrambling to "match up" to the Heat....

Always ends up failing...

When Pop stopped dictating matchups (twin towers and Spurs defense) -- and when Pop went senile....

Was when the Spurs stopped winning titles.

SA210
06-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Every year or two - some team - is a matchup nightmare - for other teams. Suddenly every team wants to find that ONE PIECE that will solve this problem.

Example....Pop scrambling when he couldn't "match" the Lakers size (Bynum/Gasol)....

Next...Pop scrambling to find a "Nowitzki stopper" ....

Now Pop is scrambling to "match up" to the Heat....

Always ends up failing...

When Pop stopped dictating matchups (twin towers and Spurs defense) -- and when Pop went senile....

Was when the Spurs stopped winning titles.

:madrun:madrun

:cry chump I'll protect you and Pop, what wife??:cry

silverblk mystix
06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
:lol 75k

HemisfairArena
06-27-2013, 07:27 PM
LMAO...NO. We wont be anywhere near the top defesive team in the NBA. Pacers and Grizz will have that locked down and we wont be in the top 10 anyway with Duncan another year older and Splitter resorting back to being as soft as tissue paper.