PDA

View Full Version : Pacers: Artest looks sharp during summer league game

ducks
07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Pacers: Artest looks sharp during summer league game
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Saturday, July 16, 2005

News
Pacers forward Ron Artest had 23 points on 8-of-15 shooting at the Minnesota summer league Friday. He also had four steals and four rebounds in 35 minutes of a 72-64 loss to Houston. "It's been 73 games plus the playoffs, and finally to get back in front of some referees, that felt pretty good," Artest told the Associated Press.

Views
Artest, when he has his head on straight, which unfortunately isn't often, is a great asset to any fantasy team. Before he was suspended last season, after just seven games, he was averaging 24.6 points, 6.4 boards, and 3.1 assists. That's enough to prove his potential.

Kori Ellis
07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
It's interesting that they are trying to make him into a power forward.

ducks
07-16-2005, 10:48 PM
this late in his career is it wise

ChumpDumper
07-16-2005, 10:50 PM
It's interesting that they are trying to make him into a power forward."summer of the tweener"

ZStomp
07-16-2005, 11:01 PM
He's playing against ..non-NBA...players...so should this be taken surprisingly??

Kori Ellis
07-16-2005, 11:02 PM
It's not surprising that he's doing well. It's surprising that they are trying to convert him into a 4.

midgetonadonkey
07-16-2005, 11:10 PM
He only scored 23 against a summer league team? I would think he can drop at least 40 against a bunch of college dropouts.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-16-2005, 11:26 PM
It's interesting that they are trying to make him into a power forward.

is there an article we can read about this or is that pretty much the whole story

Kori Ellis
07-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Pacers to give Artest tryout at power forward

By Mike Wells
[email protected]

The Indiana Pacers say they want forward Ron Artest to get used to playing in a team setting again after being suspended for most of last season.

They are also going to use him at power forward during their summer league, which starts Friday in Minneapolis. Artest has usually played small forward.

"Ronnie has played the 'four' some in the past, and it's something we'll look at in the future also," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "In summer league, you're always sizing down one position. The 'twos' play the 'three.' The 'threes' play the 'four' and so on. The only position that doesn't change is point guard."

Artest's strength and ability to score and defend in the post allow him to take on players who are several inches taller.

"They asked me to play some power forward and I said fine," Artest said. "I think Mark Aguirre and Charles Barkley did it. Most of the power forwards in the NBA, as far as weight, I'm right up there with them. I wouldn't mind playing it if I have to."

Although it has been against lesser talent, Artest has had success at power forward during the team's rookie/free agent camp this week. The Pacers hope to use him, there at times next season when they go with a small lineup.

"Ron and David Harrison have worked well together in practice," said Pacers assistant coach Dan Burke, who is coaching the summer league team with fellow assistant Chuck Person.

"We hope to carry that into the regular season with Ron and Jermaine (O'Neal) playing together. That will give us a more versatile lineup on the court. Now is the time to find out if it can work."

Spursdaone
07-16-2005, 11:35 PM
I think it is a good idea. Sometimes the offene of Indiana's gets too bogged down and putting out a faster lineup can help that problem. I guess Jermaine would play center than at times.

Spursdaone
07-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I think they would do this against Detroit because of Ben Wallace being undersized. They could also do this to Phoenix or Dallas.

Sense
07-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I really can't see artest as a PF..... what about O'neal? is he gonna be a 5?

that's crazy....

then again in the east....

mavsfan1000
07-17-2005, 01:32 AM
It's also crazy that Marion is playing power forward. Against certain teams they can't take advantage of Artest at power forward and don't have an answer for him back. This is very similar to Phoenix's small lineup. Of course they should play big against San Antonio or Miami but can take advantage of teams without great Centers or Power Forwards.