PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts After Spurs Draft Livio Jean-Charles

timvp
06-27-2013, 10:08 PM
-I don't know enough LJC to have too much of an opinion of him as a player. YouTube makes him look athletic but his body is really underdeveloped. I'm assuming he'd have to become a SF given his bone structure but I don't see much perimeter skills in his highlights. The form on his jumper is also pretty damn horrific. That said, he's still developing as a player and you can't teach that length and athleticism -- so I'm happy with the pick.

-I'm sure there will be a lot of Spurs fans who wish the Spurs would have drafted Domestic Player X. And I'm sure there will be a few more picks that will eventually pan out. Personally, I didn't love any player left on the board so I'm fine with the draft-and-stash route.

-The biggest news, IMO, is the fact that this points to the Spurs looking to utilize salary cap room. This saves some money under the cap and if you combine that with other potential salary cap maneuvers, suddenly the Spurs could have a ton of room to do thangs.

-Damn, the Spurs really do love French players. I wonder if their French connection helped with this under the table deal with LJC.

-Then again, he's from French Guiana -- which is in South America. A French South American ... how could the Spurs not draft him?

-It was obvious that LJC had received a promise due to his recent quotes. So I'm assuming that promise was from the Spurs. That points to S.A. really liking this kid -- and that gives me some hope that he's a player the Spurs really, really like. While it's always rumored the Spurs have "promised" certain players, it's rare that there is actually a real promise given.

-Expect another draft-and-stash in the second round. My guess is it'll be a domestic player who is willing to go overseas.

Libri
06-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Maybe some French Spurs fans can give us some insight.

timvp
06-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Maybe some French Spurs fans can give us some insight.

I know Bruno hates him :stirpot:

T Park
06-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Hell most likely come over work out with England to fix the jumper, play on the summer league team the whole 9 yards.

ducks
06-27-2013, 10:14 PM
he is not he is playing for his country

Dex
Typical Spurs draft. Wait 3 hours for their pick to be called....realize I have no idea who that is and that we won't see him for another two years.

Libri
I know Bruno (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2449) hates him :stirpot:

ouch

UZER
06-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Just looking at the highlights you can tell hes gonna get pushed around in the nba.

benefactor
06-27-2013, 10:15 PM

loveforthegame
06-27-2013, 10:19 PM
The pick wouldn't be so bad if I had any confidence in the Spurs being players this summer with all that cap space. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Splits
Will he take his career path from Manu? Insomuch meaning: playing for your NBA team comes 2nd or 3rd fiddle to playing for your national team. If Manu doesn't sell out his body, mind, and soul to Argentina, then perhaps he doesn't have a career high in turnovers in the Finals-clinching game and Timmy is wearing one on the thumb. Tough questions.

HI-FI
Shit. If Bruno don't like it, that doesn't give me confidence. Hope we got something special cooking, I don't want to waste Duncan's last couple years.

BatManu20
06-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Typical Spurs draft. Wait 3 hours for their pick to be called....realize I have no idea who that is and that we won't see him for another two years.

spurraider21
06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
yeah, usually bruno loves every overseas player i've never heard of, so this is a concerning development :lol

Bruno
06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
I know Bruno hates him :stirpot:

:lol

I don't hate him. He is in fact a nice kid which really fit what Spurs are looking character wise from players. It's just I think he is nothing special even if he has the profile to end up as a good role player.

He is under contract until 2016 with ASVEL. His buyout shouldn't be an issue at all as always with French team. His coach is Pierre Vincent who coached Parker when he was young and who is also Women FNT coach.

As people know, Parker is a minority owner of ASVEL. That's a weird situation. I wonder if the NBA will look at that because it's kinda a gray area.

dallasmaverickslose
06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Don't think any of us know enough about him to make an accurate assessment of what kind of player he can be for us

Atl Spur
06-27-2013, 10:24 PM
People he's 19; your body type surely changed from 19 to 25 and you think his will not?

Dingle Barry
06-27-2013, 10:24 PM
kind of reminds me of The Gist

Das Texan
06-27-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm sure the Spurs have the best scouting report on the kid since Parker owns the fucking team.

Atl Spur
06-27-2013, 10:27 PM
It's funny how everyone is all gaga over Bertans ( i like him by the way )and he was 19. He's a shooter but he is a rail thin .....priceless

gospursgojas
06-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Spurs love 6'9 guys
Spurs love french guys
Spurs love south american guys
=
Spurs love Livio Jean Charles

timvp
06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm interested to see if we'll get any details of the promise.

I would be more suspicious of the Parker connection but it's not like the Spurs had him hide. He played in front of every team in recent weeks/months so I'm assuming the Spurs just recently fell in love with him.

UZER
People he's 19; your body type surely changed from 19 to 25 and you think his will not?

Hes already kinda goofy with his current weight. How is he gonna get more coordinatied putting on more weight?

Bruno
Parker also played and practice with him for a couple of months during the lockout.

The Reckoning
four frenchmen? :yield

picnroll
06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
It means zilch but nbadraft.net lists Richard Dumas as a player comparison. A Richard Dumas who didn't like putting white powder up his nose would be a helluva player.

ducks
06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
parker schooling him with his floater

Floyd Pacquiao
06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Another draft and stash per par ugh! The Spurs always do this worthless crap!

Knoxxx
06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
He's 217 pounds sounds fine for his height and age. Also people more often lie about there height than weight, men at least.

Bruno
06-27-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm interested to see if we'll get any details of the promise.

I would be more suspicious of the Parker connection but it's not like the Spurs had him hide. He played in front of every team in recent weeks/months so I'm assuming the Spurs just recently fell in love with him.

Well, he has been invisible for the last month after he ended his season in France. He didn't participate at the Adidas Eurocamp and I haven't seen a single report of a workout for a NBA team.

3 Legged Dog
06-27-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm sure the Spurs have the best scouting report on the kid since Parker owns the fucking team.

Since stealing Manu, Scola and Parker...... This front office has been awful in the draft. A, no I son have faith that this unathletic/UN explosive French turd will EVER help our Spurs

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
He's 19, hasn't developed into his body yet, might be a late bloomer. We all know that some guys have come into the league young and still grew some inches so that's possible. He's a stretch 4 in the making or a very good 3 with some schooling.

timvp
Well, he has been invisible for the last month after he ended his season in France. He didn't participate at the Adidas Eurocamp and I haven't seen a single report of a workout for a NBA team.

If TP/Spurs wanted to hide him, he wouldn't have played in the Nike Hoop Summit where he exploded, tbh.

Marcus Bryant
It means zilch but nbadraft.net lists Richard Dumas as a player comparison. A Richard Dumas who didn't like putting white powder up his nose would be a helluva player.

I once spoke with Bob Hill about Richard Dumas.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Go back to the well.

Maybe Emmanuel Ginobili Jr. will be available at #58.

3 Legged Dog
06-27-2013, 10:37 PM
He's 19, hasn't developed into his body yet, might be a late bloomer. We all know that some guys have come into the league young and still grew some inches so that's possible. He's a stretch 4 in the making or a very good 3 with some schooling.

Growing " into a body" is all fine and good. But if you're not explosive or athletic at 19..... You're not going to be athletic or explosive at 21, 22 or 23. Awful pick.

Bruno
06-27-2013, 10:39 PM
If TP/Spurs wanted to hide him, he wouldn't have played in the Nike Hoop Summit where he exploded, tbh.

Spurs obviously weren't on him in April but that promise could have been made in mid May.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Growing " into a body" is all fine and good. But if you're not explosive or athletic at 19..... You're not going to be athletic or explosive at 21, 22 or 23. Awful pick.

Don't know too many Spurs who are explosive or athletic types.. He'll fit a role as a defender, spot up shooter.

Bruno
06-27-2013, 10:40 PM

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Since stealing Manu, Scola and Parker...... This front office has been awful in the draft. A, no I son have faith that this unathletic/UN explosive French turd will EVER help our Spurs

Meth kills.

baseline bum
06-27-2013, 10:43 PM
I once spoke with Bob Hill about Richard Dumas.

I once asked Bob Weiss why the Spurs brought back Mike Brittain at a draft party. He just threw his hands up and acted like he didn't like it any better than I did. :lol

timvp
06-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Thx :tu

Serious question: Why didn't you want the Spurs to draft him?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Pick purely based on BPA or you think Bertans' injury played a part?

picnroll
06-27-2013, 10:47 PM

How many other teams have picked mid to late 20s year after year and their picks are still playing in the league. Spurs have way beat the odds consistently with their draft choices.

michaelwcho
06-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Terrible pick, I want a refund. Any first round pick should be an Amurican blue-chipper all-star!

Doesn't he kind of look like a Taeshawn Prince kind of player?

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2013, 10:52 PM
-The biggest news, IMO, is the fact that this points to the Spurs looking to utilize salary cap room. This saves some money under the cap and if you combine that with other potential salary cap maneuvers, suddenly the Spurs could have a ton of room to do thangs.

Yes. They don't need that much. Problem as always is recruiting free agents other than their own. Best thing is the opportunity to participate in a trade and take salary back for some talent.

Bruno
06-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Thx :tu

Serious question: Why didn't you want the Spurs to draft him?

Whenever I saw him play in France, he never stroke me as player with a potential NBA future. With ASVEL, he is just a role player averaging 3.4ppg and bringing some defense/energy. He played PF with youth teams and is making the transition to SF at the pro level but he has little to no perimeter skills. Now, he is only 19 years old so he obviously could get better. To me, a player like Jaiteh (who didn't get a first round promise), was clearly more intriguing.

-21-
I have no problem with this pick. No one on the board could realistically help us. At least we save cap space. I'll have to do my research on Jean-Charles though.

tim_duncan_fan
Waste of a pick. Undersized big playing in a soft league. His games probably 100% finesse. Will probably get his stuff blocked by the mere breathe of an NBA player just like Tiago. Worse, no free agent that would do anything of note is going to come here. Our money is going to Splitter, Neal and Manu.

God fucking damnit. This guy better grow another fucking 3 inches in the next 2 years.

benefactor
06-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Waste of a pick. Undersized big playing in a soft league. His games probably 100% finesse. Will probably get his stuff blocked by the mere breathe of an NBA player just like Tiago. Worse, no free agent that would do anything of note is going to come here. Our money is going to Splitter, Neal and Manu.

God fucking damnit. This guy better grow another fucking 3 inches in the next 2 years.
Quality meltdown. 8/10

Libri
06-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Whenever I saw him play in France, he never stroke me as player with a potential NBA future. With ASVEL, he is just a role player averaging 3.4ppg and bringing some defense/energy. He played PF with youth teams and is making the transition to SF at the pro level but he has little to no perimeter skills. Now, he is only 19 years old so he obviously could get better. To me, a player like Jaiteh (who didn't get a first round promise), was clearly more intriguing.

Thanks

timvp
06-27-2013, 10:59 PM

Thanks.

Those are my same concerns just from watching him on YouTube. He needs to play the three but he has the perimeter game of a four.

But he has good athleticism, length and youth so there's a chance he can be something.

timvp
06-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Tbh, I was hoping for Gobert. I wonder if the Spurs would have picked him if he lasted one more pick.

I'm guessing not since LJC appears to have been a sturdy promise.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2013, 11:01 PM
So, he's a prospect without an immediate cap hit and with a rookie scale contract if he's worth bringing over.

Yeah, terrible.

DPG21920
06-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Tbh, I was hoping for Gobert. I wonder if the Spurs would have picked him if he lasted one more pick.

I'm guessing not since LJC appears to have been a sturdy promise.

Not only that, but if they were at all high on him, they could have quite easily guaranteed they got him by moving up it seems.

DPG21920
06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
So, he's a prospect without an immediate cap hit and with a rookie scale contract if he's worth bringing over.

Yeah, terrible.

I don't think many are upset with the pick, especially for the reasons. I think people are just questioning his ability in isolation.

Kidd K
06-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Honestly it might be one of the more disappointing Spurs drafts I can remember. There have been worse, less interesting drafts, but imo there were multiple decent US players left at 28. Maybe the Spurs were just hoping for the 7'2" guy and just said fuck it after he got taken right before them, but it just feels like a big waste.

Mainly because by time that guy even plays for us, Duncan and Ginobili will both be gone. I was just hoping the Spurs would do something to try and win the next year or two. Now I'm just looking at free agency. . .but the Spurs almost never do anything there.

Not sure what to think of this. If they don't make any significant additions, I don't like us going into next year. Ginobili can't be used as much as he was last year, or we have next to no chance at a title relying on him that much. He's either going to be hurt or suck too often. They better add some shit through FA market. We badly need someone good to take over some of his responsibilities and push him into a normal, Neal-like role. Still a lot of minutes, but not a super high USG%.

DPG21920
06-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Spurs drafting an American with their 2nd rounder (no bigge, doesn't count towards cap), but how are they going to draft a guy who wouldn't give them his phone number :lmao

timvp
06-27-2013, 11:15 PM
RC trolling with the second round pick :lmao

Anyways, I bet he agreed to go to Europe already.

And maybe phone-number-gate was just a CIA Pop ploy ...

Brazil
06-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Meh I share Bruno's opinion on jc I'm not a big fan. Not sure he will be one day a nba player

montgod
06-27-2013, 11:19 PM

@JMcDonald_SAEN: Jean-Charles basically blew up at the Nike Hoops Summit in April. Won MVP. Then didn't work out for any NBA teams. His closing argument.

tim_duncan_fan
06-27-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm just mad because there was real intrigue in this draft and we decided on some positionless amateur. At least the potentially D-level, but potentially A-level 2/3s actually looked like the positions next to their names. We picked some undersized dude who isn't even a good player in his minor league. At least Splitter was some kind of bullshit MVP before he hit the NBA.

99 Problems
06-27-2013, 11:26 PM
To me it looked as if he had put some muscle on at the Hoop Summit.

timvp
06-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Did RC wrap up his draft prep early so he could enjoy the playoffs? Couldn't blame him if he did.

montgod
06-27-2013, 11:35 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN: Buford said Spurs had Livio Jean-Charles rated as one of the top 20 players in the draft.

BackHome
06-27-2013, 11:36 PM
I think he put up one of the top two numbers in the Nike Summit...ever.......He just Nailed it..;.

xellos88330
06-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Is this guy going to play in summer league? Same with the Thomas guy.

timvp
06-27-2013, 11:39 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN: Buford said Spurs had Livio Jean-Charles rated as one of the top 20 players in the draft.

Great to hear.

Hopefully Spurs.com gets the video.

Josepatches_
06-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Tired of frenchies.
Not sure if he will play in the Nba someday.

Outlier
06-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Methinks Livio Charles was told to lay low by the Spurs whenever he played so that nobody else would draft him... Maybe he is way better than he has displayed in most of the games he's played in.

montgod
06-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Great to hear.

Hopefully Spurs.com gets the video.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MtrJ3kWJVz0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMtrJ3kWJVz0

ace3g
06-27-2013, 11:52 PM
http://ht.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/video/teams/spurs/2013/06/28/130627bufordmp4-2523813-5.576x324.jpg (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/06/27/130627bufordmp4-2523813)
Buford on draft recap
6.27.13 |
5m51s

loveforthegame
06-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the video. Damn, he's hard to listen to.

timvp
06-28-2013, 12:13 AM
A lot of good info.

-They had LJC rated as a top 20 pick.

-It doesn't exactly sound like he was given a promise.

-They liked LJC before the Nike Hoops Summit.

-He admitted that Tony Parker owning that team played a role.

-As expected, it doesn't sound like LJC is coming over this year.

-The most surprising aspect was his excitement for DeShaun Thomas. It sounds like the Spurs genuinely like him.

-RC said LJC and NPN (No Phone Number) both play multiple positions so they must like them both as small forward and power forward.

All in all, RC looks happy ... and that's a good sign. He knows what he's doing during drafts, tbh.

Darkwaters
06-28-2013, 01:49 AM
-The most surprising aspect was his excitement for DeShaun Thomas. It sounds like the Spurs genuinely like him.

58 is such a crap shoot. Sure we have guys like Isaiah Thomas and Manu Ginobili that go crazy late. But they are definitely a minor exception to a generally overwhelming rule.

So if the Spurs do genuinely like NPN then thats a major win.

spurraider21
06-28-2013, 01:51 AM

barbosa, dragic, splitter

T Park
06-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Thomas sounds like a typical spur. Nothing stands out, nothing flashy, just does a lot of things well.

If he has a good summer league is say he's one of the 15 and plays in Austin.

T Park
06-28-2013, 02:01 AM
People like 3 legged dog need to just stop rooting for the team of they are going to be that ignorant.

TheGreatYacht
06-28-2013, 02:37 AM
Typical Spurs draft. Wait 3 hours for their pick to be called....realize I have no idea who that is and that we won't see him for another two years.LOL.
Will he take his career path from Manu? Insomuch meaning: playing for your NBA team comes 2nd or 3rd fiddle to playing for your national team. If Manu doesn't sell out his body, mind, and soul to Argentina, then perhaps he doesn't have a career high in turnovers in the Finals-clinching game and Timmy is wearing one on the thumb. Tough questions.Good thing he said that he is done w/the national team. Hopefully he'll play a little better and not run out of gas in the playoffs.
Another draft and stash per par ugh! The Spurs always do this worthless crap!
Since stealing Manu, Scola and Parker...... This front office has been awful in the draft. A, no I son have faith that this unathletic/UN explosive French turd will EVER help our SpursI was arguing this earlier but those Popsuckers and Manu fanboys took me as a fool.
God fucking damnit. This guy better grow another fucking 3 inches in the next 2 years.Very well said. I hope you're wrong though and the FO finally makes a move on FA market instead of wasting their cap space resigning Splitter and Manu while Duncan gets a year older.
Honestly it might be one of the more disappointing Spurs drafts I can remember. There have been worse, less interesting drafts, but imo there were multiple decent US players left at 28. Maybe the Spurs were just hoping for the 7'2" guy and just said fuck it after he got taken right before them, but it just feels like a big waste.
Mainly because by time that guy even plays for us, Duncan and Ginobili will both be gone. I was just hoping the Spurs would do something to try and win the next year or two. Now I'm just looking at free agency. . .but the Spurs almost never do anything there.
Not sure what to think of this. If they don't make any significant additions, I don't like us going into next year. Ginobili can't be used as much as he was last year, or we have next to no chance at a title relying on him that much. He's either going to be hurt or suck too often. They better add some shit through FA market. We badly need someone good to take over some of his responsibilities and push him into a normal, Neal-like role. Still a lot of minutes, but not a super high USG%.LOL my brother googled this guy and when he saw his stats he said "wow, this guy is a bum." Good points though Kidd K. I'm pretty sure a lot of these Popsuckers and Manu worshippers are going to disagree with you since they tend to have that status quo attitude.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2013, 02:41 AM
A lot of people who know nothing about this guy are acting like they know everything about this guy.

Don't be surprised if you have to eat shit about this in the future.

50Bestspurever
06-28-2013, 03:44 AM

yep that whole leonard pick was a complete fuck up by the front office.

Bartleby
06-28-2013, 03:49 AM
imo there were multiple decent US players left at 28.

Who do you think they should have picked instead?

jesterbobman
06-28-2013, 04:20 AM
I liked other guys better in the draft, but the reality is that that changes the odds in the crapshoot in your favour, but it's still a crapshoot.

As well as how Livio pans out, this draft should be evaluated in how the FA period goes. If you feel like the extra $1m in space helps you sign Millsap(or whoever else you're targeting), it's a great draft, Even if Jean Charles doesn't pan out.

I'm also open to the possibility that the Spurs are smarter than me drafting, and will have put in more work than the publicly available stats. Arturo(WoW) said he put in 100 hours work for this draft, which is nothing for a Front office to put in(For 5 guys, it's half a week).

NickiRasgo
06-28-2013, 04:21 AM
Do you think he has the potential to be like a less athletic Ibaka?

BatManu20
06-28-2013, 04:27 AM
^ no chance.

Tim_5rings
06-28-2013, 04:28 AM
He left his country (french Guyana) at the age of 14 years (and his family) to play basketball at INSEP where Tony, Boris, Evan Fournier ... learned the game

He plays SF/PF, good handling, rebounds, defense, high IQ basketball
He needs to improve his mid range shoot
For 2 years he is pro at villleurbanne (Lyon) the club chairs Tony Parker
It's a strong team in the French league so he plays a few minutes but gives everything, eager to learn, big work ethic, calm and balanced when he makes a mistake, it's never the same twice

I learned that the scout has spent 3 days "Lyon" to see it and test it (so they really believe in him)

He's a player who I think can have fast and consistent growth as Nicolas Batum
Tony the owner can influence this growth with more minutes, more responsibility in a good way

He did great Nike Hoop Summit, great Eurocamp
But he didn't made any workout for any other NBA team
He was exclusively to Spurs

NickiRasgo
06-28-2013, 04:39 AM
Hmmm. Even adding frame on his body? Though I haven't see how his defense but somehow isn't Ibaka is overrated in defending in low-post? Anyway, eventhough I'm that satisfied with this pick but somehow I'm intrigued. If he could improve his game on both position, that would be good and even weight on his body.

NickiRasgo
06-28-2013, 04:40 AM
He left his country (french Guyana) at the age of 14 years (and his family) to play basketball at INSEP where Tony, Boris, Evan Fournier ... learned the game

He plays SF/PF, good handling, rebounds, defense, high IQ basketball
He needs to improve his mid range shoot
For 2 years he is pro at villleurbanne (Lyon) the club chairs Tony Parker
It's a strong team in the French league so he plays a few minutes but gives everything, eager to learn, big work ethic, calm and balanced when he makes a mistake, it's never the same twice

I learned that the scout has spent 3 days "Lyon" to see it and test it (so they really believe in him)

He's a player who I think can have fast and consistent growth as Nicolas Batum
Tony the owner can influence this growth with more minutes, more responsibility in a good way

He did great Nike Hoop Summit, great Eurocamp

Wow thanks for this one. :toast

ChumpDumper
06-28-2013, 04:41 AM
Caught the Hoops Summit on watchESPN for better resolution. LJC's scoring numbers are inflated from some cherry picking, but that also underscores his good basketball instincts. He always seemed to be doing or trying to do the right thing on the floor, even if his skills weren't developed enough to always pull it off. Wasn't hogging the ball to tun up the score except on break near the end where he turned it over; looked for potential passes. Avoided traps with quick passes. Good athleticism and motor. Not a freak athlete but matched the Americans in running and jumping. Just played and made decisions at a continually fast pace, which the Spurs had to like.

Most of his points came from good cuts to the basket. Some putbacks. One 16 footer I can remember. Not great free throw form.

Fair man defense, but the US team seemed pretty small most of the time. Got a couple of weakside blocks. Again, good basic instincts if not developed skill. Looks teachable.

Played exclusively PF. Showed no real perimeter skills as yet. Will have to see how the Spurs/Asvel plan to develop him -- combo forward or just PF. Played within himself for most of the game and that means PF. Hopefully won't end up a dreaded tweener, but it's still a possibility given his frame.

Russo21
06-28-2013, 06:33 AM
He sounds shit

eric365
06-28-2013, 06:37 AM

For a French player, making the transition to the NBA with the spurs have to seems way easier than any other team:
- Playing with 3 other French player
- Playing the most european style of BBall in the NBA. The FNT using a lot of the spurs's system

It's like the french soocer players going to Arsenal and most of them having more success than other french player going in another England club

romsho
06-28-2013, 07:29 AM
LOL. Good thing he said that he is done w/the national team. Hopefully he'll play a little better and not run out of gas in the playoffs. I was arguing this earlier but those Popsuckers and Manu fanboys took me as a fool.Very well said. I hope you're wrong though and the FO finally makes a move on FA market instead of wasting their cap space resigning Splitter and Manu while Duncan gets a year older. LOL my brother googled this guy and when he saw his stats he said "wow, this guy is a bum." Good points though Kidd K. I'm pretty sure a lot of these Popsuckers and Manu worshippers are going to disagree with you since they tend to have that status quo attitude.

So I guess if you are satisfied with the Spurs level of success with Popovich as coach, that makes you a "Popsucker"? And if you appreciate the career that Manu has had with the Spurs but don't want him burned at the stake over his failures, that makes you a "Manu worshipper"? OK...got it. Whatever. I would say that some of you people are seriously fucking stupid, but that probably goes too far. More like ignorant.

polandprzem
06-28-2013, 07:49 AM
This draft means basically nothing at this point.
We have a guy that may develop into NBA caliber player. I can compare this pick to Ian Mahinmi.

And this is the guy that will be a spurs after the TD era so nothing to write about.
I can see in my vision a good basketball played along with Leonard fighting for the playoff spot. I don't know if we can have another franchise player that can give us a shot at the title

sad :(

Russ
06-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Hard to complain too much about this pick.

The Spurs probably just didn't like tying things up with any of the domestics left at 28.

I liked Crabbe but the Spurs know way more than we do. Erick Green, Tony Mitchell, Jeff Withey, Nate Wolters, not a lot there.

Bartleby
06-28-2013, 08:39 AM
I can compare this pick to Ian Mahinmi.

That was my first thought, but it seems like Ian was picked more for his athletic abilities with the hopes that his basketball skills/IQ would develop (and sadly they never really did).

Livio Jean-Charles seems to have a better feel for the game than Ian did and the potential to be a great athlete.

eDizzle20
06-28-2013, 08:49 AM
After watching the Nike Hoops Summit game. Livio Jean-Charles is very raw offensively, but he has a ton of energy and is a great shoot blocker. Almost all of his buckets came off of the pick n roll and offensive rebounds. He also finishes well at the rim. Even though he is not extremely athletic he uses his length well. Based on his lack of ball handling he is a Power Forward without question, so it will be crucial for him to put on a lot more strength. He contests shots well and he still has room to grow. I definitely like the pick at #28. He will not be over for probably another 2-3 years I would imagine.

jmard5
06-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Kawhi Leonard...

Stabula
06-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Meaningless draft pick. Good chance we'll never see him in a Spurs uniform.

dbestpro
06-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Reminds me more of the DeColo pick. I remember every one was down on the pick and even Bruno did not think DeColo would ever make it to the NBA. So he is another project. But, he is a project that provides the Spurs additional cap space.

Funny how teams like Dallas and Houston were ready to do anything to get additional cap space, but it was the Spurs who quietly did so.

kaji157
06-28-2013, 09:40 AM
I really do compar this pck with Ian Mahinmi and i think it will end quite similar. Probablu worst.
This guy doesn´t have the upper body Mahinmi had at this age and won´t develop the strenghth needed for sure unless he is a really hard worker.
what i don´t understand about this picks is why do you use a first rounder on a player that would still available at 58.

timvp
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Someone told me today that the Spurs see a sane Darius Miles type upside with LJC. That'd be pretty damn nice and fit well next to Leonard :tu

temujin
06-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Next year la noche latina
becomes
la nuit française.

Les Spurs.

Can't wait to buy the shirt.

Bill_Brasky
06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Just watched his highlights from the Hoops Summit.

He has a lot to work on. His dribbling/perimeter game is very iffy if he wants to play the 3. He's too skinny right now to play the 4. If those improve he could be a decent hybrid.

He seems to be more of a feel/instinct player who silently stuff the stat sheet, which would fit well in the Spurs system. He looks like he's a pretty decent rebounder and times his jumps well. Had shooting capability but would need to work on that too in order to be able to hit consistently from further out.

How's his defense? If he does that well then I'm definitely intrigued, given how big he is.

picnroll
06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Definitely more athletic/coordinated than Mahinmi. In that Nike game you could LJC him back pedaling well on defense, something Ian could never do that without tripping over himself.

Raven
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
i hope he can be a sf, i don't want another undersized pf that gets pushed. If he can defend the 3 (apparently he's a good defender), he needs to bulk up a bit and fix his shot, pretty much what san antonio is good at.

eDizzle20
06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Will he play Summer League ball?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Will he play Summer League ball?
Nope. Will be with French national team, I believe.

Solid D
06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Robert Horry was about his size when he was a Sophomore at Alabama. Horry stayed in school and after his Sr. year, Robert was roundly booed by Rockets fans (who wanted Harold Miner) as the 11th pick in the draft. We all know what Rob became. So, you never know what can happen with a 19 yr. old kid like Livio. With good player development added to his 4-5 years at INSEP...who knows what the Spurs may have here?

ChumpDumper
06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
No, the armchair GMs who never saw him play have spoken.

"Wasted pick" it is.

MR-Clutch
06-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Reminds me of Darrell Arthur a little.

Darkwaters
06-28-2013, 12:20 PM
No, the armchair GMs who never saw him play have spoken.

"Wasted pick" it is.

:lol

That always makes me laugh.

"Yea, I know the Spurs drafting history. Yes, I've heard about guys like Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and George Hill. But I just don't trust RC. You see, I watched this highlight Youtube video and based on that decided that RC is an idiot to draft this guy! Sure, I know he had scouts at games throughout the season, and has seen a ton of film on him, but that Youtube video was seriously like 5 minutes long. And frankly, I'm really not impressed. We SHOULD have drafted "_________." That guy had a Youtube video for the ages. Why doesn't RC listen to me?! I've been posting quality messages like this to him on Facebook for like 4 years..."

raybies
06-28-2013, 12:26 PM
O:lmao

Brazil
06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Tired of frenchies.
Not sure if he will play in the Nba someday.

:lmao

u mad ?

rjv
06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Spurs love 6'9 guys
Spurs love french guys
Spurs love south american guys
=
Spurs love Livio Jean Charles

one of the best syllogisms i've ever seen !

Kidd K
06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
LOL my brother googled this guy and when he saw his stats he said "wow, this guy is a bum." Good points though Kidd K. I'm pretty sure a lot of these Popsuckers and Manu worshippers are going to disagree with you since they tend to have that status quo attitude.

:lmao Yeah he really doesn't seem very impressive. It's hard to be behind the pick when I'm so behind winning with Duncan still around and with TP still in his prime. I'm not gonna ask these dweebs for their forgiveness for not liking a moneyball move for 2-3 years from now. If there's any time they shouldn't be playing the distant future moneyball game, it's right now coming off a game 7 in the Finals, Manu in his last season, and Duncan in his last one or two seasons.

Who do you think they should have picked instead?

I thought they should have taken Crabbe. We could've used him this year and he would've been able to somewhat hold the fort when Manu inevitably goes down and in the meantime as Neal's replacement. Not to mention Manu is imminently considering retirement. I would not be surprised if he gets hurt midseason then just says fuck it and hangs it up midseason like TJ Ford did.

SpursSerb
06-28-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure how he will develop in Asvel?He didn't get significant minutes last season and they are not playing in euroleague next season.

coachmac87
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Spurs did draft and stash so they can save that 1mil to pay Ginobili his 1 yr contract lol

xellos88330
06-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I think this kid should be a good pick. I don't think he will be soft either. On some of his block attempts you can see the competitive fire all over his face. I believe the Spurs could be onto something. Kawhi could play at the 2 and this kid at the three which fould have the makeup of a quicker, bigger, longer defense. I am quite intrigued by this move. I hope he plays in the summer league or where I can watch him.

michaelwcho
06-28-2013, 01:39 PM
I've yet to see any evidence that any team, I mean any team, out there is better at drafting than the Spurs. Benefit of the doubt goes to the FO.

Bruno
06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
As strange as it sounds, a key to me to evaluate the jean-Charles pick will be what will happen the next couple of weeks with Spurs FO. If Spurs are in a situation where the extra cap space creating by stashing their first round pick is useful, it will be damn near impossible to criticize that pick.

If Spurs didn't want to have a cap hold for their pick, they had very little choice:
- Finding a player willing to be stashed with a first round pick isn't easy. "Euros" now doesn't want to stay in Europe while they have a $1M+ contract waiting for them in NBA.
- Trading the pick wasn't really a good option. These end of the first round picks has little value in that draft. For example, #27 was traded for #46 and cash.

Now, if Spurs summer end up with Spurs re-signing their own players and using the MLE, I would be way more wary about that pick. Was jean-Charles really better than all the other college players available at #28?

DPG21920
06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
As strange as it sounds, a key to me to evaluate the jean-Charles pick will be what will happen the next couple of weeks with Spurs FO. If Spurs are in a situation where the extra cap space creating by stashing their first round pick is useful, it will be damn near impossible to criticize that pick.

If Spurs didn't want to have a cap hold for their pick, they had very little choice:
- Finding a player willing to be stashed with a first round pick isn't easy. "Euros" now doesn't want to stay in Europe while they have a $1M+ contract waiting for them in NBA.
- Trading the pick wasn't really a good option. These end of the first round picks has little value in that draft. For example, #27 was traded for #46 and cash.

Now, if Spurs summer end up with Spurs re-signing their own players and using the MLE, I would be way more wary about that pick. Was jean-Charles really better than all the other college players available at #28?

Well reasoned. That's why a few of said this move screams cap space management. With Boris opting in, Patty opting in and maybe some uncertainty about Manu/Tiago's going rate, maximizing opportunities for cap space is important. Even though the Spurs say they had him ranked highly, I don't believe they think he will be better or is better than some of the guys who were available. I think they liked him well enough, but the fact he could be stashed is what elevated him in their minds.

Russ
06-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Well reasoned. That's why a few of said this move screams cap space management.

My first thought last night was, how does this affect (or preserve) the ability to get Thomas Robinson.

poeticism707
06-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Shit. If Bruno don't like it, that doesn't give me confidence. Hope we got something special cooking, I don't want to waste Duncan's last couple years.

Too late: see Game 6, where Pop is boozing on the sidelines instead of coaching.

poeticism707
06-28-2013, 09:30 PM

Too late: see Game 6, where Pop is boozing on the sidelines instead of coaching.

jesterbobman
06-29-2013, 12:38 AM

Well said. We can say that LJC probably would've been there later, but the Spurs trust their process, and couldn't have gotten down a small amount without taking on risk that he would've been gone. Solid chance he's gone at 48 of the Spurs got an equivalent offer to the one the Nuggets got.

The other thing to take into account is that the Spurs roster has a lot of average players, which is about as good as top end stats predictions are. Getting an average player at 28 is a huge achievement, but that wouldn't help the Spurs next year. Getting established, well above average players does help, and a little bit of cap space can help you do that.

Spurious
06-29-2013, 11:08 AM
When RC said they had LJC rated as one of the top 20 players in this draft, I took that as the truth. Also heard him say he thought the top dozen or so guys taken were in fact the top dozen or so players to pick from. Not sure what his thoughts were on the next wave, leading up to the Spurs at 28...but clearly SA didn't see all of the guys picked in those slots as being worthy of them. Regardless, RC could have said LCJ was "top 25" instead and still defended taking the guy as the best available on the board at 28. I assume we'll never know EXACTLY how they had the guy ranked on their list, but in the big picture of things, they liked him and his "stashability" well enough.

Crabbe or another guy taken farther down the line obviously could pan out and have us wishing the Spurs had taken him for more immediate help. But then, we don't know what the FO really has in mind with the current crop of FAs. There are a lot of second-tier guards on the list this summer, and any one of a number of them might provide the boost we'll need in 2013-14. Same goes for a big banger, if we can land one.

BackHome
06-29-2013, 09:42 PM
I think they made him a promise and even though better players were available they were true to their word.

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Jean-Charles was a pick for the near term and beyond. A #28 pick wasn't going to crack the rotation next year, might as well save the cap room. In addition you have the flexibility of speculating on a young player whose stock could rise tremendously. And you have them locked into the 1st round scale.

playblair
06-29-2013, 10:10 PM
I think they made him a promise and even though better players were available they were true to their word.

erick greens family member confirmed spurs promised green @ #28 .................

raybies
06-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Wonder what would have happened If gobert dropped.

About green: he was a combo guard. I take it they decided to get a combo guard vía trade or free agency.

I pin that to One of Jarret jack, randy foye, jj reddick, oj,mayo or tyreke Evans.

I rate jj reddick as most likely, tyreke Evans and Jarret jack as possible.

I think jj reddick as most likely cause there was mutual interest at the trade deadline and he lives in Austin. I just don't think he's worth the 6-7 million It's gonna take to get him.

Would you want jj for 5 mill?

3 Legged Dog
06-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Meth kills.

If you like what the Spurs have done in the draft.. Since Tony and/or if you like the picking of Labia Jean Charles, then perhaps you should try some meth.

3 Legged Dog
06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
People like 3 legged dog need to just stop rooting for the team of they are going to be that ignorant.

Fuck you if you think I have to conform to your opinion of what a fan should be. I am not happy about that shitty pick and I'm not going to be quiet about it.

3 Legged Dog
06-29-2013, 11:10 PM
yep that whole leonard pick was a complete fuck up by the front office.

Hey, Mensa. The Spurs didn't draft Kawhi Leonard. He was acquired in a trade. Look it up.