PDA

View Full Version : Let me get this straight...

Buddy Holly
06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
The same people that bitched and whined when the Spurs drafted George Hill and then bitched and whined about trading George Hill for Kawhi Leonard are now bitching and whining about drafting Jean-Charles?

Hmmm.... this kid is gonna be good.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-27-2013, 10:36 PM
The same people that bitched and whined when the Spurs drafted George Hill and then bitched and whined about trading George Hill for Kawhi Leonard are now bitching and whining about drafting Jean-Charles?

Listen man, this will be our best chance to win the title in a while. With the big three retiring probably with Pop, it's going to be a while, if ever, that we will reach the finals again. I personally would love to see someone come in immediately to boost the chances of one last run with the big three.

Whisky Dog
06-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Listen man, this will be our best chance to win the title in a while. With the big three retiring probably with Pop, it's going to be a while, if ever, that we will reach the finals again. I personally would love to see someone come in immediately to boost the chances of one last run with the big three.

And you think a rookie 28th pick will do that?

Only chance to get someone to play now is free agency or trade

jon123spurs
06-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Let's see what we do in free agency.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Right, because there were players available that guaranteed that? It's the 28th pick for christ sakes. It's very unlikely to find a player who can come in and contribute right away. There are exceptions but there were none this year. I get that fans think they know more than top level scouting teams that spend months and months watching these players, I mean I get it, a youtube video of highlights trumps actual dedicated scouting and putting effort into analyzing players.

As you said, the Spurs are in a win now mode, and a late first round pick isn't winning you titles now. But cap space and signing the right FA's or making the right trades will.

Ron Swanson
06-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Let's see what we do in free agency.

Yep.

playblair
06-27-2013, 10:45 PM
same haters hated cojo..............................

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Right, because there were players available that guaranteed that? It's the 28th pick for christ sakes. It's very unlikely to find a player who can come in and contribute right away. There are exceptions but there were none this year. I get that fans think they know more than top level scouting teams that spend months and months watching these players, I mean I get it, a youtube video of highlights trumps actual dedicated scouting and putting effort into analyzing players.

As you said, the Spurs are in a win now mode, and a late first round pick isn't winning you titles now. But cap space and signing the right FA's or making the right trades will.

Dude, we could have traded up and got a good rebounding center that would give Duncan vital rest and assistance. We got Tony Parker for the 30th pick, we can definitely find someone right away. Stop being ignorant and assuming I'm not doing research on our players.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Dude, we could have traded up and got a good rebounding center that would give Duncan vital rest and assistance. We got Tony Parker for the 30th pick, we can definitely find someone right away. Stop being ignorant and assuming I'm not doing research on our players.

We could have drafted up and got the first pick in the draft.

Saying it doesn't make it so. I doubt the Spurs sat on their hand until they picked. But you're the type of delusional and cynical brain dead "fan" that thinks so.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-27-2013, 10:48 PM
And you think a rookie 28th pick will do that?

Only chance to get someone to play now is free agency or trade

Again, Tony Parker 30th pick... Manu 57th pick.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-27-2013, 10:49 PM
We could have drafted up and got the first pick in the draft.

Saying it doesn't make it so. I doubt the Spurs sat on their hand until they picked. But you're the type of delusional and cynical brain dead "fan" that thinks so.

Uh, okay thanks for stating the obvious? Of course they can pick whoever they want.

If you think they are going to do anything in free agency, you're kidding yourself. They simply aren't valuable to any "big time" players.

tesseractive
06-27-2013, 10:50 PM
same haters hated cojo..............................
I like CoJo, but the jury is still out on how good he ends up.

BatManu20
I'd be a lot moe optimistic about FA every year if our team wasn't located in San Antonio tbh.

Buddy Holly

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76uputagE1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Interrohater
06-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Very valid point Buddy Holly. I imagine that months and sometimes years of scouting go into a pick like this, not to mention interviews, current roster analysis, etc. To think that the Spurs just fell asleep and made a pick without regard to future plans and current situations is asinine. One defensive rebound away from a championship and a rookie at the 28th pick is not going to change that outcome.

Buddy Holly
I'd be a lot moe optimistic about FA every year if our team wasn't located in San Antonio tbh.

For superstars, sure. They tend to go to the top 5 markets.

For everyone else, nah. It's about money or connections.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76uputagE1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Nice contributional response!

Actually, no, my post is facts. You're the sensitive little prick.

ducks
06-27-2013, 10:52 PM
buddy holly is drunk

tesseractive
Manu was stashed for several years. You know that, right?

Buddy Holly
Very valid point Buddy Holly. I imagine that months and sometimes years of scouting go into a pick like this, not to mention interviews, current roster analysis, etc. To think that the Spurs just fell asleep and made a pick without regard to future plans and current situations is asinine. One defensive rebound away from a championship and a rookie at the 28th pick is not going to change that outcome.

What? I watched a three minute youtube clip. I knows my shit son.

- Most idiots on this forum.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
Manu was stashed for several years. You know that, right?

YOU DON'T SAY?!

Buddy Holly
buddy holly is drunk

Cute.

baseline bum
I just can't doubt this front office. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but the odds are definitely on his side with RC's track record.

tesseractive
06-27-2013, 10:53 PM
YOU DON'T SAY?!
SO IT KIND OF UNDERCUTS YOUR WHOLE POINT ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAFTING SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP US NOW INSTEAD OF SOMEONE TO STASH OVERSEAS, DON'T YOU THINK?

Interrohater
06-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I just can't doubt this front office. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but the odds are definitely on his side with RC's track record.
:tu

3 Legged Dog
06-27-2013, 10:54 PM

No. At 19 this kid is un athletic and UN explosive. A couple of years playing on France's bench will not change this. He has no upside.

also; Pop's having traded George Hill was an admission that George was not a true point guard and not an alpha male 2 guard, who had his blemishes.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Nice contributional response!

Actually, no, my post is facts. You're the sensitive little prick.

It's always funny when people try to use unconventional "big" words to seem smart but either use them incorrectly or spell them wrong. You succeeded in doing both of those things.

Also, you're an idiot.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-27-2013, 10:56 PM
SO IT KIND OF UNDERCUTS YOUR WHOLE POINT ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAFTING SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP US NOW INSTEAD OF SOMEONE TO STASH OVERSEAS, DON'T YOU THINK?

Listen, buddy, re-read my first post.

What good will our team be in a few years without the big three and Pop there possibly? We need to build-up.. but this team will be different in years. Our best chance for a while is NOW.

Can_you_read?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-27-2013, 10:57 PM
It's always funny when people try to use unconventional "big" words to seem smart but either use them incorrectly or spell them wrong. You succeeded in doing both of those things.

Also, you're an idiot.

LOL.

Well I feel sorry for you that you consider "contribution" a big word.

And I'm the idiot LOL

ducks
george hill was traded because kl is better and hill contract needed to be exteneded and pacers imo over paid him

baseline bum
I mean even RC's biggest draft mistake ended up playing some high quality minutes in winning a title on the road.

tesseractive
also; Pop's having traded George Hill was an admission that George was not a true point guard and not an alpha male 2 guard, who had his blemishes.
In summary, we drafted a guy to shoot 3s and provide D, and he did that well. Then we traded him for a much higher pick where we drafted our best new player since Manu -- and that just proves what a failure the pick was?

Buddy Holly
06-27-2013, 10:58 PM
LOL.

Well I feel sorry for you that you consider "contribution" a big word.

And I'm the idiot LOL

What part of me using the word unconventional and quoting "big" don't you comprehend?

tesseractive
06-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Listen, buddy, re-read my first post.

What good will our team be in a few years without the big three and Pop there possibly? We need to build-up.. but this team will be different in years. Our best chance for a while is NOW.

Can_you_read?

You: I personally would love to see someone come in immediately to boost the chances of one last run with the big three.
You: We got Tony Parker for the 30th pick, we can definitely find someone right away.
You: Again, Tony Parker 30th pick... Manu 57th pick.

In context, the only way that post makes sense is if you're using Manu as an example of how we can get someone who can help us right away even with a late pick. So either you lost the plot and forgot what point you were arguing, or you intentionally responded in a way that directly undercut your whole point about the importance of getting a guy who can help us now. Oops.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-27-2013, 11:04 PM
You: I personally would love to see someone come in immediately to boost the chances of one last run with the big three.
You: We got Tony Parker for the 30th pick, we can definitely find someone right away.
You: Again, Tony Parker 30th pick... Manu 57th pick.

In context, the only way that post makes sense is if you're using Manu as an example of how we can get someone who can help us right away even with a late pick. So either you lost the plot and forgot what point you were arguing, or you intentionally responded in a way that directly undercut your whole point about the importance of getting a guy who can help us now. Oops.

No, that's not true.

You'd be hard pressed to find where I stated Manu came in and did well right away. I never said that. I was using that in context that it is possible for players to be good coming from late in the draft.

Kidd K
06-27-2013, 11:08 PM
I didn't bitch about drafting Hill, and didn't bitch about trading Hill for Leonard.

However, this french guy I am bitching about because he will likely see zero minutes on court with Duncan. I expected Spurs to draft someone to help now, not be looking ahead to life after Duncan already when we just got to game 7 of the Finals and Duncan's still playing.

tesseractive
06-27-2013, 11:09 PM
No, that's not true.

You'd be hard pressed to find where I stated Manu came in and did well right away. I never said that. I was using that in context that it is possible for players to be good coming from late in the draft.
A point no one ever disputed here. The whole premise behind drafting Jean-Charles is that we think he can be good coming from relatively late in the draft.

The only point you were trying to make in this thread was that we should be about to get someone who can help right away. Then in your next response, you name dropped Manu, which only makes sense if you thought he was an example of someone who can be good right away. But feel to argue that you simply weren't making any sense instead.

cjw
06-27-2013, 11:40 PM
george hill was traded because kl is better and hill contract needed to be exteneded and pacers imo over paid him

I want Zach Lowe to retract his Hill-Kawhi story. Pacers got hosed.

Poolboy5623
06-27-2013, 11:43 PM
I didn't bitch about drafting Hill, and didn't bitch about trading Hill for Leonard.

However, this french guy I am bitching about because he will likely see zero minutes on court with Duncan. I expected Spurs to draft someone to help now, not be looking ahead to life after Duncan already when we just got to game 7 of the Finals and Duncan's still playing.

Unlike the fans, the organization does have to plan for life at(after Tim)..add a piece or two through fa..

therealtruth
06-28-2013, 06:33 AM

Imagine what would have happened if they had been serious about getting a PF years ago. They drafted Tiago in 2007 but he never really played till this year.

jjktkk
06-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Imagine what would have happened if they had been serious about getting a PF years ago. They drafted Tiago in 2007 but he never really played till this year.

Imagine if you actually thought before you posted.

Namundy
06-28-2013, 07:09 AM
A point no one ever disputed here. The whole premise behind drafting Jean-Charles is that we think he can be good coming from relatively late in the draft.

The only point you were trying to make in this thread was that we should be about to get someone who can help right away. Then in your next response, you name dropped Manu, which only makes sense if you thought he was an example of someone who can be good right away. But feel to argue that you simply weren't making any sense instead.

http://i.imgur.com/MIj6o.gif

rascal
06-28-2013, 08:42 AM
CBS Sportsline graded the Spurs pick a D-

K-State Spur
06-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Pop's having traded George Hill was an admission that George was not a true point guard and not an alpha male 2 guard, who had his blemishes.

GH was not a true PG or an alpha male 2. But he has easily proven to have been the best backcourt player available at 26 in that draft (actually the best guard/wing taken later than 7), and - along with Peckovic & Asik - one of the 3 best players overall in that draft taken later than 25.

It was a great pick - a very solid player on both ends (unfortunately, Indiana's backcourt is so rough that they continually ask him to be more than that).

K-State Spur
06-28-2013, 08:56 AM

Every post draft grade is based on one single criteria - where was that player picked compared to where the writer's mock draft had him going?

I like HPBasketball, but there's a reason nobody is banging down his door to make him a GM.

ducks
06-28-2013, 09:36 AM

what was the grade when they picked manu and tp

Agloco
06-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Spurfan expecting every pick to be the second coming of Tony or Manu. It's what Spurfan does tbh.

Chinook
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed that the team decided not to draft someone who could help this season. We've seen some many young players step up over the last two seasons, that it's tempting to think any rookie the Spurs bring stateside can be a valuable contributor next season. But this team is built on development foremost, and getting a player who will be really good in three years is more important to them than getting a player who will be decent now but would probably sit on the bench for rest of his career.

If Jean-Charles has the potential to become a starter at either forward position, drafting him makes sense. Over the next couple of years, he'll either bulk up or learn perimeter moves. By the time the team needs him, he'll be ready to contribute. Until that happens, he's saving the team a lot of money that suggests they will go hard for an outside free agent. Remember, they could have re-signed everyone AND still added a $5 Million player. So it seems like they're going to at least try to do better than that.

The one thing I really wanted from this draft was for them to get a cheap scorer to replace Neal. Turns out they did that at 58 while also getting some additional height. Jean-Charles is just gravy.

Kidd K
06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Unlike the fans, the organization does have to plan for life at(after Tim)..add a piece or two through fa..

Obviously they do. Unlike the fans though, they appear to not care as much about winning while Duncan is still around.