PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Are we still pretending Doc was responsible for the Celtics success?

Ace
06-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Obviously, Thibbs was the one who really led them to that championship while Doc "motivated".

Thread
06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Obviously, Thibbs was the one who really led them to that championship

But, Media doesn't talk about that, Ace. Ever.

Frankly, even here it's been taboo like fucking your mothers.

AchillesHeel
06-28-2013, 08:49 AM
I bet most NBA fans don't even know that Thibs was in Boston during that run, they think Doc is some kind of a genius, obviously hasn't won without Thibs, tbh.

Bill_Brasky
06-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Common knowledge, he'll get his troops fired up with african jungle songs to play physical D, but then on offense they'll still be a trainwreck with CP3 having to do too much.

Funny thing is Paul won't bitch because he wanted a black coach, doesn't matter if that coach is as clueless as Vinny was :lol

Texas_Ranger
06-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Give me 3 HF players in their prime and I'll win a championship also.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2013, 09:00 AM
The Celtics were a quarter away from reaching the Finals last year, without Thibbs coaching, when everyone including me had written them off as first round fodder. I think that counts for something.

Clipper Nation
06-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Thibs won nothing with Lucas or SVG and has won nothing on his own in Chicago.... meanwhile, the Celtics' defense that people give him all the credit for was ranked #2 and #1 in team defensive rating for the first two years after Thibs left, only falling to 7th last year with an injury-riddled and shit roster.... but yeah, Thibs clearly did it all while Doc did nothing, sure....

apalisoc_9
06-28-2013, 09:28 AM
It's pretty obvious thibbs left a defensive philosophy that stuck with his team.

It's not like when thibs left they were completely out of his influence.

Doc is just a flat out overrated coach. The worst of kind, since people put him in the top 3 coaches in the league when clearly he's not.

Lionel Hollins is probably even better.

Clipper Nation
06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
And? It was still on Doc and his remaining staff to keep running that defense at a high level and to teach it to new players, and they obviously did a good job of that judging from the numbers....

apalisoc_9
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM
And? It was still on Doc and his remaining staff to keep running that defense at a high level and to teach it to new players, and they obviously did a good job of that judging from the numbers....

So he's good at sustaining an already established system..

Yeah Good luck with that...by the looks of it, Doc can't create his own system. You guys don't have a system.

In other words, you guys are royally screwed. Better hope you guys can find a good assistant coach to run things.

EDIT: I forget to mention, he's also a mediocre play by play coach. Not that huge of an upgrade over Vinny

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
how about compare thibs time in chicago vs rivers when he took over...

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Thibs and rivers are both overrated. The 08 celts were a stacked team that got great leadership from kg, it would have been an elite defensive team regardless of the coach. Thibs is a good coach but the job he's done in Chicago is also overrated as its largely due to his team trying extremely hard in the regular season to the point where it's counter productive.

JamStone
06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Doc is overrated but he's probably not all that bad a coach either. And he will have talent if CP3 re-signs. Doc is good at getting out of the way of his talent so he should basically just hand the keys to CP3, especially offensively. His biggest challenges will be how he coaches the rest of the team, how he handles his in-game substitutions, and how he keeps the younger guys focused.

Doesn't mean they're now legitimate title contenders, but they shouldn't be any worse than last year.

LkrFan
06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Thibs won nothing with Lucas or SVG and has won nothing on his own in Chicago.... meanwhile, the Celtics' defense that people give him all the credit for was ranked #2 and #1 in team defensive rating for the first two years after Thibs left, only falling to 7th last year with an injury-riddled and shit roster.... but yeah, Thibs clearly did it all while Doc did nothing, sure....
Where were the Celtics ranked defensively in 2007 B. T. (Before Thibbs)? :lol

JoeTait75
06-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Is the OP saying Thibbs didn't get enough credit for the success of the '08 Celtics? I thought he got plenty of credit, imo. And he did get a head coaching job out of the deal, so apparently the rest of the NBA gave him plenty of credit as well.

StrengthAndHonor
06-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Clippers will be fucking dope this season. We're still a reliable big man away from winning but this season will definitely be better than last year. WCF at the very least.