PDA

View Full Version : James Southerland Passed On The San Antonio Spurs

playblair
06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
According to Syracuse.com (https://twitter.com/syrbasketball/status/350652074616303616), the NBA's runner-up, the San Antonio Spurs (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/san-antonio-spurs), an organization that has been praised for years about how it is run, wanted to pick Southerland with its second-round selection (No. 58-overall) but Southerland and his agent said no thanks. Why? Because the Spurs wanted him to play in Europe to develop his game.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/syracuse-basketball/2013/6/28/4474816/james-southerland-san-antonio-spurs-nba-draft-2013

SpursDynasty21
06-28-2013, 01:13 PM
I would have rather had Thomas anyway.

raybies
06-28-2013, 01:14 PM
So does that mean Thomas said yes?

Chinook
06-28-2013, 01:15 PM
I guess we know where Thomas is going now. I wanted to see him in the States this season, but I guess it's for the best. It'll be interesting to see where Southerland goes for summer league now. I imagine the Spurs are still willing to give him a shot, especially since they are stashing both of their picks.

dallasmaverickslose
06-28-2013, 01:16 PM
He sounds a lot like Danny Green from some report I read. 1-dimensional offense.

SpursDynasty21
06-28-2013, 01:16 PM
I think Thomas should be on the Spurs roster. I think he's ready to help the team now.

ducks
06-28-2013, 01:20 PM
lol how do you give up money

SpursDynasty21
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Does Thomas make the Spurs, or get sent to the D-League? I hope he makes the team.

Chinook
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM

He didn't. He gave up security and long-term connections, though.

cjw
06-28-2013, 01:26 PM

There is no guaranteed money in the second round. I'd honestly rather be a free agent than a second round pick, unless that team gives you some sort of guarantee.

TheGreatYacht
06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
If the Spurs are stashing both of their draft picks in Europe then this is another indication that they might be planning to get some help via free agency. Worst-case scenario is that they end up using all their cap space to resign Manu and Tiago which would be pure stupidity by the FO. I have the gut feeling that the Spurs are seriously considering the FA market. I hope I'm right.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Not a bad decision on his part TBH. That late in the draft you might as well go undrafted and have a chance to pick a team with an opening to try and latch onto.

ducks
06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
spurs take care of players overseas if they get hurt
(guy that got in motorycyle accident)
I know there is no guarantee money but spurs could have told them they would give him x amount

ducks
06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
well teams will know he refuses to go to work on his game in europe
will see if he gets a chance

spurraider21
06-28-2013, 01:32 PM

moving to a foreign country where you don't speak the language isn't always appealing. i see where you are coming from, don't get me wrong, but i can see that aspect of it too. especially with no guarantee to ever get called into san antonio

spursince#99
06-28-2013, 01:32 PM
I know there is no guarantee money but spurs could have told them they would give him x amount

grow up

Chinook
06-28-2013, 01:34 PM

Exactly. The Spurs will watch over you even if they don't intend to ever bring you over. They also have a lot of European connections, so they're great for helping you find a job. So if you're unlikely to make an NBA roster right away, being a Spurs draft pick is great. I bet Denmon is glad now that he got picked at 59. Had he gotten his injury when he was an undrafted player, who knows what type of care he'd get?

If Southerland thinks he'll get into the NBA this season, though, then all of those benefits are moot.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Southerland actually did the Spurs a favor here. Teams have to offer their draft picks a contract in order to keep their rights. For second rounders it's just a 1 year, league min, unguaranteed deal so it's not like the team is on the hook for any money. Still, the drafted player still has the option of accepting that deal and forcing the team into either putting him on the NBA roster or waiving him and making him a free agent. Jack McClinton did this. At least this way the Spurs got to use that pick on a guy they might have a chance of convincing to put his NBA dreams on hold for a while, allowing the Spurs to retain his rights for a while.

Baam
06-28-2013, 01:44 PM
It fine tbh, that said I don't see the point of send DeShaun Thomas to Europe unless it's for cap reasons. I hope he makes the roster tbh, Boris will teach him how to use his fat on defense, Chip will fine tune his shooting, I'm just pretty optimistic.