PDA

View Full Version : Clarin: Scola no pierde la ilusión de jugar en la NBA

kolko
07-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Scola no pierde la ilusión de jugar en la NBA

Hernán Sartori
[email protected]

Después de una práctica privada en San Antonio, los Spurs lo eligieron en la segunda ronda del draft de 2002. Entonces, ¿por qué Luis Scola no será ahora compañero de Manu si hace tres años que los Spurs tienen sus derechos, si el entrenador y el manager general lo querían y si el mismo Scola estaba decidido a saltar a la NBA?

San Antonio dio el primer paso y después de asegurarse a Robert Horry por tres años, levantó el teléfono y finalmente hizo la oferta por Scola. Los representantes del argentino pidieron tiempo para solucionar la salida del Tau. Y ahí comenzó el problema.

"Se ve que los tiempos que se manejan en la NBA son diferentes. El arreglo de la cláusula no se soluciona levantando el teléfono y diciendo: 'Listo, me voy'", le explicó ayer a Clarín el agente de Scola, Claudio Villanueva.

Ahora bien: los Spurs confiaban en que si Scola quería jugar en su equipo, tendrían que haberse arreglado los detalles de su desvinculación con anticipación. Porque si hay algo que desvelaba en San Antonio, era el contrato de Scola con Tau.

Cuando los abogados de los Spurs accedieron a una copia de ese contrato, vieron una cláusula de 12 millones de dólares. Sin reconocer el monto, Villanueva aclaró: "Una cifra importante se pautó sólo en caso de que un equipo europeo lo quisiera. No era lo mismo si se interesaban desde la NBA".

Tau se puso firme con los Spurs en ese dinero, porque a Scola lo habían elegido en segunda ronda y no en primera. En la franquicia eran optimistas en que un arbitraje les daría la razón. Pero ese sí legal llegaría en setiembre. Y eso era tardísimo. Entonces fueron por Fabricio Oberto, la segunda opción.

"Esto es un mercado profesional y Luis no se siente traicionado ni decepcionado —dijo Villanueva—. Sigue ilusionado con llegar a la NBA". Scola felicitó por teléfono a Oberto, quien se recluyó en Las Varillas. El cordobés espera al viernes para la confirmación oficial de ser NBA. El porteño aún deberá esperar.

After a private workout in San Antonio, the Spurs drafted him in the second round of the 2002 Draft. So, Why Scola won't be Manu's teammate if the Spurs have his rights and the coach and the GM wanted him and Scola wanted to play in the NBA?

San Antonio made the first step and after re-signing Robert Horry for three years, picked up the phone and finally made the offer. Scola's agent needed time to resolve the exit from Tau. There is where the problem began.

"It seems like times in the NBA are different. The buyout problem doesn't solve picking up the phone and saying 'Ok, I'm going'", explained yesterday to Clarin Scola's agent, Claudio Villanueva.

If the Spurs trusted that Scola wanted to play for the team, they had to solve the buyout problem with anticipation. Because if there was something that San Antonio didn't know, was Scola's contract with Tau.

When the Spurs lawyers got a copy of the contract, they saw a buyout of $12M. Without knowing the number, Villanueva explained: "An important amount was the buyout only for other teams in Europe. It wasn't the same for NBA teams".

Tau wanted that money, because Spurs had drafted Scola in the second round and not in the first one. The franchise was optimistic that an arbitration would lower that number. But the decision would have come in September. And it was very late. So they went after Fabricio Oberto, the second option.

"This is a professional market and Luis doesn't fell betrayed or disappointed" Said Villanueva. "He is still dreaming of getting to the NBA". Scola congratulated Oberto by phone, who stayed in Las Varillas (his hometown). The "cordobes" (Oberto, from the state of Cordoba) is waiting until next Friday when the official confirmation will be made. The "porteño" (Scola, from Buenos Aires) will have to wait.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/07/17/deportes/d-08701.htm

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks Kolko.

timvp
07-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Awesome find, thanks.

Scola doesn't seem mad. That's good.

If the Spurs had to wait until September to know if Scola was going to be free, there is no way they could have waited. The Spurs made the smart move and Scola can continue to improve in Europe.

Perhaps next year the buyout will be more clear and the Spurs will then proceed to bring him over. Does anyone know if the Scola's agent and Tau will go to arbititration so they can work this out? It'd be nice to know if the Spurs will be able to bring him over any time soon.

Solid D
07-17-2005, 01:48 AM
If jumping to conclusions in this Forum on Friday could be measured in inches, some of the less mature posters in here would have 40 inch vert.

Thanks, kolko.

Mavs<Spurs
07-17-2005, 02:20 AM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/07/17/deportes/d-08701.htm

thank you kolko! Great Job!
:fro

MaNuMaNiAc
07-17-2005, 02:21 AM
If jumping to conclusions in this Forum on Friday could be measured in inches, some of the less mature posters in here would have 40 inch vert.

Thanks, kolko.
AMEN!!! (WHOTTT)

TMTTRIO
07-17-2005, 02:39 AM
someone told me that they heard Scola on the radio and he really didn't sound angry and it went along the same lines as this does that he really seemed happy for Oberto to make it to the NBA.

Mavs<Spurs
07-17-2005, 03:57 AM
The English translation implies that the Spurs should have fixed this ahead of time (not Scola, his agent and Tau). It does this by incorrectly translating the second half of perhaps the most important sentence in the article. Below is how a pretty good translation would read which does not miscommunicate the main facts of the case.

Now, then, the Spurs trusted that if Scola wanted to play on their team, the details of his buyout would have had to have fixed themselves ahead of time.

This is more accurate. This correctly gives the meaning of the sentence. The English translation places they where the details belongs, clearly implying the Spurs should have worked this out ahead of time. This is not what the writer was stating.

If you changed it to:
If the Spurs trusted that if Scola wanted to play on their team, they would have had to have fixed the details of his separation ahead of time

you can see what a big difference there is.

The second translation pretty much comes right out and faults the Spurs for not taking care of this contract stuff ahead of time. The first one does not blame anybody directly; there may even exist an implication that it is Scola's fault if it is anybody's ( because it uses the word trust (confiar)- the Spurs trusted the Scola to have taken care of this stuff if he wanted to play on their team makes more sense than- the Spurs trust the Spurs to have already taken care of this stuff ahead of time if Scola wants to play on their team- the latter makes no sense at all)

I'm not trying to be critical, but the translation from Spanish to English makes it sound as if the Spurs are the ones who ought to have fixed the contract ahead of time (ie with anticipation). However, that is not what is written in Spanish. This first part isn't super important, but it helps start to clear things up. Ahora bien really should not be translated if. Ahora bien is just serving to connect the changes of the times (ie the new difficulties with the present case (Spurs and Scola)). What the writer means is Now, then . I know that is not a literal translation: I know that bien means well, and ahora means now. However, in this context, it is just a tie in. If suggests adds an implication not quite there.
The key word which makes everything clear is confiar which means to trust (and is correctly translated). It makes sense to think of the Spurs trusting that Scola and his agent and Tau to have made acceptable arrangements ahead of time. It does not seem to make sense to think of the Spurs trusting themselves to have arranged to have fixed this ahead of time (which would not make sense anyway sense they were not a party in the agreement). After all, it is more normal to think of trusting another person. The fact that it is in the imperfect past tense also strengthens this argument.
Here is where the translator really got off on a detour: A reflexive verb was used in passive voice: The details was the subject. The subject should not be a vague they. It should have been the details. However, reading it in English (if one does not know Spanish), one would get the impression (which would not make sense) that the Spurs are the subject.

xcoriate
07-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the translations people, good to finally have something concrete on the situation.

smeagol
07-17-2005, 07:19 AM
"This is a professional market and Luis doesn't feel betrayed or disappointed" Said Villanueva. "He is still dreaming of getting to the NBA". Scola congratulated Oberto by phone, who stayed in Las Varillas (his hometown).
whottt, my man, looks like you jumped to conclusions too quick.

I trust you are not like MB, who when proven wrong, he will come out and discredit everybody hardly ever admitting his mistakes.

As for Walton "I'm the straw that stirs the drink" buy off me, well that dude is beyong appologies. :lol

spurschick
07-17-2005, 08:57 AM
I still have no doubt that Scola was very disappointed - I'm sure the guy just really wants to play in the NBA and hates all the business stuff - but it's great to see that he called Oberto and that things are settling down a bit. With more details known now, perhaps they can work things out for next year.

Thanks Kolko!

Rick Von Braun
07-17-2005, 09:03 AM
The article clarifies many things and debunks many local myths:

Oberto is a better fit based on the Spurs' preferences.
Scola was the first option and Oberto the second option. All the speculation that Oberto was a better fit is not justified by the Spurs' actions, since they did offer a contract to Scola first. Only after the lawyers got a copy of the contract they concluded that a decision regarding arbitration, albeit possibly favorable, would arrive too late, and they decided to go to the second option and offer a contract to Oberto instead.

Scola is angry, mad, furious, feels betrayed, etc. etc.
It seems nothing further from the truth. He personally called Oberto to congratulate him, and he is hopeful that one day he will join the Spurs.

However, the article does not clarify one important point:

Now, what happens?
Does Scola's agent and Tau go to arbitration? Will all the contract saga be sorted out by next year?

rr2418
07-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Another thing that isn't answered is, will the Spurs keep or trade Scola's rights? I read where the Spurs had discussed trading Scola's rights. I hope Spurs keep him b/c I would hate to see him in another team and showing us fans what the Spurs could've had!

BigDiggyD
07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Why does it feel like to me that we went through this all last year as well? Reports that Scola was angry with the Spurs then later reports that he was never angry at the Spurs but rather the situation he was in with Tau.

To me this could mean one of two things.

1) Media jumps the gun and starts putting words in Scola's mouth

2) Scola is really angry and has a knee jerk quick temper reaction then he and his agent go into spin control.

I normally give people the benfit of the doubt but this has happened twice and really has me wondering.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2005, 10:33 AM
So the Spurs get Oberto and keep Scola's rights for another year. A decent summer movie so far. Now let's re-sign DBrown, add a vet 3 like GRob or Kukoc or a young 3 like DJohnson, RWhite or JJones and close this puppy.

Oh, and smeagol, whenever you prove me "wrong" will be your first time.

-MB

wildbill2u
07-17-2005, 11:56 AM
This buyout is Scola's responsibility and he or his people should have had all this contractual stuff worked out months ago with his team-- or they should have gone to arbitration/legal route. Since most leagues always side with the contractual agreement there doesn't seem to be much doubt that TAU held all the cards.

Scola was 17 when he signed the contract. His lack of business sense now can't be laid off on youth and inexperience. Maybe it's the manana attitude.

whottt
07-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Smeagol and Manumania...

I based my opinion on past interviews and what that reporter thought..I felt the reporter was right, and if he did want to be traded, that we should send him on his merry way. If he wants to play here then by all means welcome. And I've got no problems with being wrong on this. I am still not totally convinced though because that is a quote from his agent and not him. But part of my anger was that he would say something like that publicly and blame the team...so if he didn't even if he was mad then my feelings change anyway. I know he's firey.

But I'd also like to point out that, even a wrong whottt is never totally wrong...most people were blaming the Spurs yesterday and were equally jumping to conclusions...so the people that were trying to pin this on the Spurs need to realize their error also(which is about 90% of the people I was arguing with). :smokin

whottt
07-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I still like Oberto better though.

spurster
07-17-2005, 01:03 PM
But the decision would have come in September.
That explains pretty much everything.

MannyIsGod
07-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah no shit, many people need to come correct in here. All of you with that little blue and white flag underneath your avatar who were sitting there calling the Spurs front office all kinds of things need to man up.

Whottt did it, lets see if anyone else does.

Oh and the "reporter" who was on the Ticket the other day is a fuck. It was his comments that started everything and gave the impression of Scola's anger. He obviously didn't know shit.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Oh and the "reporter" who was on the Ticket the other day is a fuck. It was his comments that started everything and gave the impression of Scola's anger. He obviously didn't know shit.

He had talked to Scola's manager and that's what they told him. That reporter on the radio and the reporter in Argentina who wrote this story in this thread talked to Scola's manager and they both told me the exact same thing. What you are probably seeing now is that Scola is cooling off. Even on the radio the guy said that after Scola cools off, he'd probably react different. So the reporter wasn't out of line at all.

Mavs<Spurs
07-17-2005, 01:25 PM
He had talked to Scola's manager and that's what they told him. That reporter on the radio and the reporter in Argentina who wrote this story in this thread talked to Scola's manager and they both told me the exact same thing. What you are probably seeing now is that Scola is cooling off. Even on the radio the guy said that after Scola cools off, he'd probably react different. So the reporter wasn't out of line at all.

Kori, doesn't it seem like to you like we were hearing two different stories from the Scola camp (1) he is mad and (2) he isn't

But, it sounds like probably the best guess is that at first Scola was upset which was correctly conveyed to the reporter and to us, then kind of calmed down, realized it was maybe bad pr and not completely fair and not, and so decided to act as if he was never mad in the first place. That seems to make the most sense or am I wrong? Is that how you are taking it?

clubalien
07-17-2005, 01:36 PM
if scola doesn't play for the spurs the terrorest have won

Man Mountain
07-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Kori, doesn't it seem like to you like we were hearing two different stories from the Scola camp (1) he is mad and (2) he isn't

But, it sounds like probably the best guess is that at first Scola was upset which was correctly conveyed to the reporter and to us, then kind of calmed down, realized it was maybe bad pr and not completely fair and not, and so decided to act as if he was never mad in the first place. That seems to make the most sense or am I wrong? Is that how you are taking it?

I don't know about Kori but, that's how I'm taking it too.

smeagol
07-17-2005, 06:28 PM
whottt, I remember the interview the TV did to Scola right after winning the gold. He had been part of one of Argentina's greatest sporting accomplishments ever and the guy asks him about the Spurs. In that context (of winning the gold) his answer made sense.

And MB, I probably never proved you wrong 'cause you are so much more intelligent than I am, but I remember one thread abaout a year ago about being a Cowboy fan and a Spur fan, and how the Spurs were a class organization and the Cowboys were not. Boy were you proven wrong on that discussion!

gino4president
07-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Can Scola still make it hear soon? I am thinking this Oberto guy is 30, Scola-25. It takes a few years to adjust to the NBA. Doesn't sound to promising for Ob.
Does anyone know if Scola can still make it here for next season? He is good. All I know is, at times during the Olympic he was making better plays than Manu, it could've been bc Arg. was spanking the other team. Either way he looks solid.

:pctoss

spursteam
07-17-2005, 07:35 PM

NOTICIAS VIERNES 15/07/2005

San Antonio Spurs se decanta por Oberto en detrimento de Scola

Luis Scola estará en Vitoria el día que arranque la próxima pretemporada baskonista. Su cláusula más la cercanía al tope salarial del equipo que posee sus derechos, San Antonio Spurs, han evitado su marcha a los Estados Unidos. De ahí que la franquicia tejana haya alcanzado un principio de acuerdo con Fabricio Oberto para apuntalar su juego interior.

El vigente campeón de la mejor Liga del mundo esperará sin embargo hasta el domingo 24 de julio antes de ofrecer la pertinente nota oficial acerca de este fichaje. Y es que las estrictas reglas de la NBA prohíben anunciar cualquier incorporación hasta esa fecha.

Con el ex baskonista en nómina, el equipo de Gregg Popovich ya ha completado su nómina interior. Cuenta con Tim Duncan, Robert Horry, Narz Mohamed, Rasho Nesterovic y el pívot de Las Varillas. Como mucho podría intentar la contratación de algún agente libre, al que pagaría un sueldo menor en comparación con estos cinco jugadores.

Las reuniones técnicas siempre acababan en tablas. Scola era el preferido, pero su llegada implicaba un desembolso mayúsculo. Según el convenio vigente en la NBA, que entró en vigor hace un par de semanas, una franquicia puede abonar un máximo de 375.000 dólares (algo más de 300.000 euros) en concepto de traspaso. El resto, por tanto, corresponde al interesado, que debe aportar la diferencia de su propio bolsillo.

La renovación de Horry

La continuidad de Scola en el TAU Cerámica empezó a tomar forma una vez conocida la renovación de Robert Horry, de 34 años. Este veterano ala-pívot fue uno de los puntales de San Antonio para la consecución del anillo de campeones. Como premio a su excelente rendimiento, su club le renovó por tres campañas.

Este movimiento dejó a los Spurs al límite del tope salarial. Y con un hueco en su batería interior disponían de dos opciones para reforzarse. O vendían a algún jugador -pusieron en el escaparate al decepcionante Nesterovic- o aparcaban la 'vía Scola' y se centraban en otra opción más asequible. Al final tomaron este camino. Y el elegido fue el otro nombre en la copa de su lista; Fabricio Oberto.

El pívot de Las Varillas ha sido de los pocos que se salvaron de la decepcionante campaña rubricada por el Pamesa. Promedió 14,2 puntos y 7,3 rebotes.

Tek_XX
07-17-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't know about ya'll but if i'm Scola im pissed about having to wait another year or two before i get to play in the NBA. Anyone who would assume that he would be nice nice over this needs a reallity check.

Solid D
07-17-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't know about ya'll but if i'm Scola im pissed about having to wait another year or two before i get to play in the NBA. Anyone who would assume that he would be nice nice over this needs a reallity check.

Whether Scola is upset or not isn't the issue as much as who he is upset with. If he is upset with the Spurs...then why, considering the double-digit millions TAU is requesting of Luis if he jumps?

GoSpurs21
07-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I guess this means that once again WOAI and the stupid Arg writer knew jack shit and were just trying to start trouble were there was none

why am I not surprised. Scola needs to fire his agent, he's the one who fucked it up for him. How could he not tell Scola that the Scola would have to pay so much to join the NBA. I guess his agent should have told Scola to sit out the draft the year the Spurs got him, since he (Scola) obviously wasnt a first rounder

any jackass trying to blame the Spurs for this mess needs to get a reality check...you hear what I'm say David C. I cant believe this bozo is getting on the radio. He is more of a Hairless protege than anything legitament.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I guess this means that once again WOAI and the stupid Arg writer knew jack shit and were just trying to start trouble were there was none

why am I not surprised. Scola needs to fire his agent, he's the one who fucked it up for him. How could he not tell Scola that the Scola would have to pay so much to join the NBA. I guess his agent should have told Scola to sit out the draft the year the Spurs got him, since he (Scola) obviously wasnt a first rounder

any jackass trying to blame the Spurs for this mess needs to get a reality check...you hear what I'm say David C. I cant believe this bozo is getting on the radio. He is more of a Hairless protege than anything legitament.

:rolleyes

I talked to the reporter who was on the radio AND the reporter that wrote this article myself on the phone yesterday. They both said the same thing -- that they talked to Scola's manager and that Scola was upset with the Spurs. They also both said that Scola would probably calm down a little bit after the initial shock of it. (The reporter even said that on the radio.) By the looks of this article, Scola did cool off. To blast WOAI or the reporter who was on the radio is stupid. They were only repeated what Scola's manager said. If Scola's manager didn't want that to be reported, he shouldn't have told several reporters the same thing.

GoSpurs21
07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
:rolleyes

I talked to the reporter who was on the radio AND the reporter that wrote this article myself on the phone yesterday. They both said the same thing -- that they talked to Scola's manager and that Scola was upset with the Spurs. They also both said that Scola would probably calm down a little bit after the initial shock of it. (The reporter even said that on the radio.) By the looks of this article, Scola did cool off. To blast WOAI or the reporter who was on the radio is stupid. They were only repeated what Scola's manager said. If Scola's manager didn't want that to be reported, he shouldn't have told several reporters the same thing.Kori, I was in SA this past weekend and I saw the report by David C (on Friday nights WOAI sports part of the TV news NOT radio) and at the end the report he said the Arg reporter hadn't talked with Scola directly and was guessing this is how he (Scola) felt. Please tell me how this is NOT bullshit journalism.

Also if Scola was upset, his anger was surely misdirected as the Spurs couldnt do shit about the lame ass contract Scolas agent had signed him too.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 10:08 PM
and at the end the report he said the Arg reporter hadn't talked with Scola directly was guessing this is how he felt.

Is that what David said? Because very clearly on the radio the reporter said that he had talked to Scola's manager (not Scola himself) and that Scola's manager said Scola was upset and felt "betrayed" by the Spurs.

Sartori, the writer of this article in this thread, also told me the same thing when I talked to him on the phone yesterday morning.

GoSpurs21
07-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Is that what David said? Because very clearly on the radio the reporter said that he had talked to Scola's manager (not Scola himself) and that Scola's manager said Scola was upset and felt "betrayed" by the Spurs.

Sartori, the writer of this article in this thread, also told me the same thing when I talked to him on the phone yesterday morning.Again on the TV sports news for WOIA, David read what was on the screen and it said that the writer had said he had not spoken with Scola directly. It said nothing of Scola's agent. Again it seemed like WOAI was once again just trying to stir up trouble. and once again I say FUCK WOAI

As for the agent it seems like he is trying to cover his ass for the huge fuck up he did for Scola. After all its not the Spurs fault the buyout is so big it's Scola's agent and mainly Scola himself.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Again on the TV sports news for WOIA, David read what was on the screen and it said that the writer had said he had not spoken with Scola directly. It said nothing of Scola's agent

Well then they didn't read the rest of the quote on TV that was on the radio. Because the guy said clearly that he had talked to the manager.

GoSpurs21
07-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Well then they didn't read the rest of the quote on TV that was on the radio. Because the guy said clearly that he had talked to the manager.So whose fault is it that the buyout is so big or that Scola got drafted in the 2nd round (and the contract didnt stipulate conditions if Scola was drafted in the 2nd round)?

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
So whose fault is it that the buyout is so big or that Scola got drafted in the 2nd round (and the contract didnt stipulate conditions if Scola was drafted in the 2nd round)?

It looks like the Spurs always had gotten the impression from Scola/his management that they would be able to get Tau would reduce the buyout (and abide by the buyout as if he was a 1st round pick). And that hasn't happen, so the Spurs weren't willing to wait until it did. It's the agent's fault. I don't think you can blame Tau for not letting him out and you definitely can't blame the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
07-17-2005, 10:19 PM
When you guys get this sorted out, leave a sticky at the top telling me whom to hate.

GoSpurs21
07-17-2005, 10:23 PM
It looks like the Spurs always had gotten the impression from Scola/his management that they would be able to get Tau would reduce the buyout (and abide by the buyout as if he was a 1st round pick). And that hasn't happen, so the Spurs weren't willing to wait until it did. It's the agent's fault. I don't think you can blame Tau for not letting him out and you definitely can't blame the Spurs.thank you...the wife and I felt the same way and wished WOAI would tell the same. Again it seems like WOAI TV news likes to stir up trouble against the Spurs were none exists, so I really wasnt that surprised. I just wish the TRUTH would be reported more often

If one thing the Spurs can count on is that they are always TRUTHFUL with the players. That's the reputation Pop, RC and Holt have built up. Something I cant always say about the media (telling the truth that is).

Now that I think about it I remember Scola being upset the Spurs drafted him so late in the 2nd round. He should have been mad at his agent for telling him to make himself available for the NBA draft that year. Obviously he was NOT a 1st rounder. ALL FAULT goes to Scola for approving every move of HIS career with his AGENT.

This the MAIN problem with the (whole) world today, everybody wants to blaim someone else for THEIR OWN mistakes. Everyone makes their own success or failure (work ethic is the key). The main problem is lawers will try to put the blaim on someone else, when the key is belief in ones self and the willingness to work hard. Two attributes MANU is not given enough credit for.

BigDiggyD
07-18-2005, 03:29 PM
When you guys get this sorted out, leave a sticky at the top telling me whom to hate.
Hate the commies... ohh and the terrorists... yeahh... and the commercials that play before movies...yep.... and crazy straws that make it take longer for margaritas to make it to your mouth..

... then hate Scola.. Tau.. Scolas managment.. or the media once this is sorted out..