PDA

View Full Version : Free Justin Carter petition

ErnestLynch
06-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Needs 15000 more signatures for consideration by the Texas Attorney Generals office. Please sign and forward to others. He is being held without bail for a post on facebook.

https://www.change.org/petitions/release-justin-carter-and-change-the-investigative-criteria-for-terroristic-threat-laws

baseline bum
06-29-2013, 03:15 PM
That's really fucked up. You see worse shit than that said on this forum all the time.

ErnestLynch
06-29-2013, 11:32 PM
His pre-trial hearing is Monday, in New Braunfels. He's been in jail since February 14th and has a $500,000 bond. WOAI is running a piece on this on Monday. At least they told me they were. With that said, I'm gonna kill a motherfucker...lol/jk. ( waiting for the knock at the door )

DPG21920
06-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Reminds me of V for Vendetta

The Reckoning
06-30-2013, 03:48 AM
would like to sign it but then the NSA would have my info and arrest me for terrorism assistance when i try and enter the country

Wild Cobra
06-30-2013, 03:56 AM
would like to sign it but then the NSA would have my info and arrest me for terrorism assistance when i try and enter the country
LOL...

Sad, buy probably true. Especially with this administration!

ErnestLynch
06-30-2013, 12:49 PM
That's right. And all it would take for you to get the knock at the door is someone to call the police concerning your post. And suddenly, this could be you. And unless you're a kid, people are going to have no sympathy for you. There isn't going to be a site gathering petitions to free some 30 or 40 year old. You can only play the 'poor kid' card till you're 18. After that, you're shit out of luck. The government can take you, ram cattle prods up your ass and throw away the key for something just as trivial as this, and no one would care, and THEY DO. So, take heed. This is why this is important because like you say, over the years I've said all kinds of shit on forums and comment sections of articles. I'm much more careful now, but this could have been a lot of us or, your child. Justin was 17 when he was arrested but don't think they wouldn't arrest and detain with a bail you could not make, your 12 or 13 year old. Just remember, this could be you, or someone in your family.

boutons_deux
07-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Father: Teen Jailed For Facebook Comment Beaten Up Behind Bars

The family of Justin Carter, the 19-year-old Texas gamer who made offensive Facebook comments that landed him in jail, (http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/01/197669495/texas-teen-jailed-for-sarcastic-facebook-comment) is working with new urgency to get his $500,000 bail reduced because they say he's getting beat up behind bars.

"Without getting into the really nasty details, he's had concussions, black eyes, moved four times from base for his own protection," says Carter's father, Jack. "He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience."

Carter has been in jail since his arrest in February. After he finished playing the online game League of Legends, where the community trash-talking can get quite toxic, court documents show he posted the following messages on a Facebook page:

"I think Ima shoot up a kindergarten / And watch the blood of the innocent rain down/ And eat the beating heart of one of them."

Carter's father says his son was responding to an insult by being sarcastic and followed the message with "JK" for just kidding, but that's disputed by police.

In April, a grand jury in Comal County, Texas, indicted Carter on a charge of making a terroristic threat, and a judge set bail at $500,000. The high bail has kept Carter imprisoned while his case moves through the court process.

"I have been practicing law for 10 years, I've represented murderers, terrorists, rapists. Anything you can think of. I have never seen a bond at $500,000," says Carter's attorney, Don Flanary.

The charge is a third-degree felony, which in Texas carries up to 10 years in prison. The Comal County District Attorney's office hasn't responded to our calls, but police in New Braunfels, Texas, who have investigated the case, say in a time of heightened sensitivity to school shootings, their interest is in preventing violence when they can.

"The whole situation is kind of unfortunate," said New Braunfels Police Lt. John Wells. "We definitely understand the situation that Mr. Carter is in, however he made the comments, and it is an offense. We have to ... protect the general public and specifically, in this case, with it involving schoolchildren, we have to act. We take those very seriously."

Carter's father says his son's past five months of "suffering quite a bit of abuse" behind bars doesn't fit the crime. "He says he's really sorry. He just got caught up in the moment of the game and didn't think about the implications," Jack Carter says.

An Change.org online petition (http://www.change.org/petitions/release-my-son-justin-carter-in-jail-for-a-facebook-comment) for Justin Carter's release has gotten nearly 40,000 signatures, and attorney Flanary got a new hearing set for July 16 to bring up issues of his abuse and to try to get bond lowered so Carter can go home to await trial.

If convicted, Carter could face up to 10 years in prison.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/03/198129617/teen-jailed-for-facebook-comment-reportedly-beat-up-behind-bars

boutons_deux
07-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Anonymous Person Posts $500,000 Bond To Free Texas TeenJustin Carter, the 19-year-old who in February after making a Facebook comment about a school shooting, is out of jail. An anonymous donor posted the $500,000 bond to allow Carter to go home. Carter plans to stay near New Braunfels, Texas, to await his trial on a felony terroristic threat charge.

"He's glad he's out. His family is ecstatic. He feels good. He is relieved. It's been an ordeal," said Don Flanary, Carter's attorney. Flanary said he got a call Wednesday from the sympathetic donor, who said he wanted to help. The donor wired the money last night. "We got a cashier's check cut this morning and got [Carter] out. He's free," said Flanary.

Carter, who was indicted by a Comal County grand jury in April, has gotten global attention because of the First Amendment questions raised by his case and the high bail that kept him behind bars for nearly five months. last week that he had represented "murderers, rapists, terrorists" and none had had such high bail.

Carter will be staying with his family as his case winds through the courts. Flanary says the donor wants to remain anonymous. "He is betting $500,000 that Justin will show up for court," Flanary said. "At the completion of the case, the court will return the money to us, and we'll return it to the wonderful person who sent it."

Comal County District Attorney Jennifer Tharp released a statement last week saying, "Ethical rules prohibit a prosecutor from making any statements ... therefore, there is very little information we can provide at this time."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/11/201202207/anonymous-person-posts-500-000-bond-to-free-texas-teen?sc=17&f=1003

He was so depressed, he was on suicide watch.

Has the bastard's name who turned him in been publicized? Or does Carter NOT have the right to know his accusers?

Trill Clinton
07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
i can't believe someone posted his bail.

boutons_deux
07-12-2013, 09:39 AM
i can't believe someone posted his bail.

the kid is hardly a flight risk

TeyshaBlue
07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Anonymous Person Posts $500,000 Bond To Free Texas TeenJustin Carter, the 19-year-old who in February after making a Facebook comment about a school shooting, is out of jail. An anonymous donor posted the $500,000 bond to allow Carter to go home. Carter plans to stay near New Braunfels, Texas, to await his trial on a felony terroristic threat charge.

"He's glad he's out. His family is ecstatic. He feels good. He is relieved. It's been an ordeal," said Don Flanary, Carter's attorney. Flanary said he got a call Wednesday from the sympathetic donor, who said he wanted to help. The donor wired the money last night. "We got a cashier's check cut this morning and got [Carter] out. He's free," said Flanary.

Carter, who was indicted by a Comal County grand jury in April, has gotten global attention because of the First Amendment questions raised by his case and the high bail that kept him behind bars for nearly five months. last week that he had represented "murderers, rapists, terrorists" and none had had such high bail.

Carter will be staying with his family as his case winds through the courts. Flanary says the donor wants to remain anonymous. "He is betting $500,000 that Justin will show up for court," Flanary said. "At the completion of the case, the court will return the money to us, and we'll return it to the wonderful person who sent it."

Comal County District Attorney Jennifer Tharp released a statement last week saying, "Ethical rules prohibit a prosecutor from making any statements ... therefore, there is very little information we can provide at this time."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/11/201202207/anonymous-person-posts-500-000-bond-to-free-texas-teen?sc=17&f=1003

He was so depressed, he was on suicide watch.

Has the bastard's name who turned him in been publicized? Or does Carter NOT have the right to know his accusers?

I assume the accuser's name will have to be revealed in a trial, no?