PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Reggie Miller or Ray Allen?

Thebesteva
06-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Whose had a greater career? Who was a better pure shooter? I know Reggie led his team to the finals, but Ray has 2 rings and counting, not to mention NBA finals heroics both in 2008 and 2013.

lefty
06-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Reggie no contest

Thebesteva
06-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Reggie no contest

People forget though, Ray Ray once upon time was supposed to be "The guy" on a team. He was Mr. Milwuakee before everyone realized he's really just a great role player more than an alpha player on a team.

Koolaid_Man
06-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Reggie...

this ain't never happen to Reggie tbh

-WHFpyQ5Iao

Thebesteva
06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Reggie...

this ain't never happen to Reggie tbh

-WHFpyQ5Iao

http://oi42.tinypic.com/n3vhip.jpg

soxxx
06-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Didnt Ray struggle during the whole 2008 playoff run? like he was bad as bad can get? or was that 2010 until he had the record game in the finals?

Jt.ONE
06-29-2013, 07:27 PM
team's best player vs role player

Thread
06-29-2013, 07:30 PM
After the egg Allen laid in the '10 Finals I woulda said Miller, but, after that 3 and the breakage of Spurs ass I'll go with Allen.

Thebesteva
06-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Didnt Ray struggle during the whole 2008 playoff run? like he was bad as bad can get? or was that 2010 until he had the record game in the finals?

That was 2010 I believe, outside of game 2 where he set the record for most 3's in a game. 2008 was the defining moment that Ray Ray won the series for them IMO.

:'( Can't watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i19lSd7pAiE

gaKNOW!blee
06-29-2013, 07:47 PM
This is really close actually...I'd have to go with Allen because I think his peak was better.

Rogue
06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
the prime Miller might be slightly better than Ray but Ray owns Miller's ass career-wise imho. Plus Allen is a better role model to youngsters

LnGrrrR
06-29-2013, 10:01 PM
After the egg Allen laid in the '10 Finals I woulda said Miller, but, after that 3 and the breakage of Spurs ass I'll go with Allen.

What he said.

Thebesteva
06-29-2013, 10:29 PM
One of you stat nerds show me who was a better overall shooter

lefty
06-29-2013, 10:39 PM
lol no

Allen wouldnt have single handedly destroyed those 90's Knicks

And Miller is the only player who pushed the 96-98 Bulls to the edge

Ray has never led a team anywhere by himself

If Miller had prime KG and PP, he would have more than 1 ring

irishock
06-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Truth. Reggie also never quit on his team like Shuttlesworth did, twice.

Thebesteva
06-30-2013, 01:24 AM
lol no

Lefty, I'm not exactly saying who is a better player. I think that easily goes to Reggie. I'm asking who had the more successful career and who was the better shooter? I think its an interesting question because Reggie is one of handful of legends who went out without a ring.

However, Ray has 2 rings and has a similar style to Reggie and I believe was an overall better 3 point shooter.

Jacob1983
06-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Reggie Miller in a Ronald Reagan landslide. He is the reason why the Pacers are still in Indiana.

LethalLebron
06-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Theyre about equal in their primes, not much of a difference. Reggie lasted a little longer so hes probably ahead.

Theyre both overrated because of their clutch shots. They are both really clutch but not that great as overall players. In this era Id take Kobe, DWade, AI, T-Mac, VC and Pierce ahead of them.

Koolaid_Man
06-30-2013, 07:35 AM
lol no

now this is the realest thing you ever wrote! if Miller had a prime anyone at least 1 prime-time player he would have taken at least 2 rings from Mike...

Vash StampedE
06-30-2013, 08:36 AM
I haven't got to witness the playing days of Reggie Miller but looking at the history and how he made the Pacers a force to be reckoned with during the Jordan Era, I must say that he was the better player and competitor than Ray Allen. He played for the Pacers all throughout his career, and that says a lot about his loyalty, and confidence that he could win a championship not by shifting teams but by carrying his team to the top. Unfortunately, he failed to do so.

Koolaid_Man
06-30-2013, 08:55 AM
I haven't got to witness the playing days of Reggie Miller but looking at the history and how he made the Pacers a force to be reckoned with during the Jordan Era, I must say that he was the better player and competitor than Ray Allen. He played for the Pacers all throughout his career, and that says a lot about his loyalty, and confidence that he could win a championship not by shifting teams but by carrying his team to the top. Unfortunately, he failed to do so.

Reggie Miller was a fucking Stud if I've ever seen one...Ray Allen is to Reggie Miller what Kobe is the MJ....2nd place...

mudyez
06-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Reggie = roleplayer that earned star status
Allen = starplayer that will be remembered for his roleplaying

I'd go with Reggie but he was fortunate to have the perfect system to succeed in.

ffadicted
06-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Allen tbqhimho

AchillesHeel
06-30-2013, 10:02 AM
I'll take Allen, he actually won something, though he had great teams.

2013, Miami's title was on the line and it looked like the Spurs would win it all with 28 seconds left, Ray closed that door. Ray's the reason Miami is celebrating and San Antonio is in mourning.

Miller obviously individually was the better player, but he never won the title. I guess I have more respect for Miller for sticking with the same team for this whole career and not coattailing MJ or Shaq to win a title or two. Miller also made the playoffs 15 times to Allen's 10, and Allen will have played the same amount of years after the next season.

dg7md
06-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Ray Allen.

He bailed the 2013 Heat out and won them the championship with that clutch 3.

It hurts, but he's a superior player to Reggie.

gnsf0946
06-30-2013, 10:52 AM
ITT; butthurt Spurs fans trying to justify Spurs choke by praising Allen :lol

gaKNOW!blee
06-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Didn't the 2008 Celtics want to sign Reggie at some point? I always respected him for turning down that offer.

Bill_Brasky
06-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Reggie.

StrengthAndHonor
06-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Miller is the better shooter. Allen is the better player. Miller was a one dimensional player, he was excellent in shooting but couldn't be relied to do any other tasks. Allen can play defense and has a well rounded offensive game especially during his Bucks days.

Captivus
06-30-2013, 12:17 PM
I cant think of a situation in which I rather have Allen and not Miller.

Thread
06-30-2013, 12:21 PM

After 6 it's no damn wonder.

tee, hee.

BatManu20
06-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Reggie was the better overall player, by far imo. Ray Allen didn't do much until he joined Pierce and KG, Reggie was leading his teams to the ECF with a bunch of role players. Reggie was always his team's best player. For a lot of years, Ray wasn't. Game 6 was monumental for Ray Ray obv, but that doesn't suddenly make him the superior player imo.

Thread
06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Game 6 was monumental for Ray Ray obv, but that doesn't suddenly make him the superior player imo.

I outta pick you up and slam you down like the punch bowl you are. If I were 40 years younger and lived in the ghetto I would.

Captivus
06-30-2013, 12:48 PM
After 6 it's no damn wonder.

tee, hee.

I choose Miller, just in case my english wasnt perfect.

Raven
06-30-2013, 01:07 PM
allen is the best shooter ever to play the game, period.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 01:23 PM
:lol praising Allen's clutchness as a case for him over Miller. Miller owns what is arguably one of the most clutch plays in NBA playoff history.

StrengthAndHonor
06-30-2013, 01:26 PM

How about winning a champinoship? :lol

StrengthAndHonor
06-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Reggie was the better overall player, by far imo. Ray Allen didn't do much until he joined Pierce and KG, Reggie was leading his teams to the ECF with a bunch of role players. Reggie was always his team's best player. For a lot of years, Ray wasn't. Game 6 was monumental for Ray Ray obv, but that doesn't suddenly make him the superior player imo.

The age of the poster shows strong on this one tbh :lol

BatManu20
06-30-2013, 01:48 PM
The age of the poster shows strong on this one tbh :lol

Not sure what you're referring to cause everything I said is factual. Ray Allen was the go-to guy in Seattle, but in Boston he was the 3rd option.. in Miami he's the 4th or 5th. In his younger days in Milwaukee, he and Glenn Robinson were both their top two options, and Robinson actually averaged more PPG than Ray until Robinson left the team in '02. Reggie Miller was the #1 option on his team for a long time, while also leading those teams to deep playoff runs. All the while team's defenses focused on him. It wasn't til late in Reggie's career when they got Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal that he wasn't their top scoring option anymore. So I really don't see your argument. Both are HOF players who've had great careers, but Reggie Miller was the better overall player imo. Not to mention of the most clutch players in NBA history.

Thebesteva
06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I was watching alot more of MJ v Pacers series again recently. LOL @ people forgetting how many epic chokes Michael Jordan had as well like every other player. This is the ECF in 98'

@ the 4:10 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHv5X1yMFIA

@ the end of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWNuB6zHAJ0

StrengthAndHonor
06-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Not sure what you're referring to cause everything I said is factual. Ray Allen was the go-to guy in Seattle, but in Boston he was the 3rd option.. in Miami he's the 4th or 5th. In his younger days in Milwaukee, he and Glenn Robinson were both their top two options, and Robinson actually averaged more PPG than Ray until Robinson left the team in '02. Reggie Miller was the #1 option on his team for a long time, while also leading those teams to deep playoff runs. All the while team's defenses focused on him. It wasn't til late in Reggie's career when they got Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal that he wasn't their top scoring option anymore. So I really don't see your argument. Both are HOF players who've had great careers, but Reggie Miller was the better overall player imo. Not to mention of the most clutch players in NBA history.

Miller's clutch factor and prolific shooting ability overshadowed Miller's true ability. He was absolutely lethal from 15 feet and beyond, but that was it. He averaged less rebounds than Ray, and he wasn't a player that made his teammates better. Defensively, lets not get there because Allen can play defense, Miller couldn't stop anyone, unless you count hacking and jersey pulling as a strategy. The Pacers gave the ball to Reggie when they want to score. That was his role. Period.

Miller is quite possibly one of the most overrated player in the HOF lineup. For as many clutch games Reggie had, I could name as much where his team under his leadership didn't accomplish anything and over and over were subsequent failures. Miller's prime was also during the leagues weakest era. It was 94-98.

That's not to say Miller is not a great player, he was. I just couldn't understand why someone would suggest Miller is the better overall player. Miller doesn't pass the eye test and he definitely couldn't beat Ray Allen in raw and advance #'s in regular season.

If you're going with playoffs. Their peak shows that both players are even, though Reggie;s resume looks better because he had the opportunity to play in better teams, but you can't fault Allen for being part of awful franchise in the 90's and when he finally joined a winning team, Allen took a step back.

UNCLE-DREW
06-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Prime to lead a team i would easily pick Miller.

Prime to have on your team as a 2nd or 3rd option easily Allen.

Captivus
06-30-2013, 04:50 PM
How about winning a champinoship? :lol

Lebron, Wade, Bosh and Miller could win a few....