PDA

View Full Version : Parker should work on his 3 point shot

Mr Bones
06-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Early in his career, Parker took and missed too many 3 pt shots. He shot under 34% every season from the 3 pt stripe in his first 4 years. After his fourth season, the number of threes he took per season dropped dramatically, and Parker even joked that Pop had ordered him not to shoot threes. But since then, he has become a much better jump shooter and a consistently improving free throw shooter. Last season's FT% of .845 was the best of his career by far and his 3pt% of .353 was better than his .313 career average. It seems he has gotten to a point where taking a few threes a game would help to open the floor for him and force defenders to stay closer, which would in turn open up the driving lanes. I'm not suggesting Parker try to emulate Ray Allen or Stephen Curry, but I think that averaging more than last season's 68 attempts in 66 games might make for a good change.

Mikeanaro
06-30-2013, 01:55 AM
He should practice more 3 point shots, move the ball more, and less less less Ball Hero

skulls138
06-30-2013, 02:09 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth. It seems like the natural progression for him.

hyhy
06-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Why not ask timmy to work on his 3 point shot. Even better right. Nobody can defend a tall guy at the 3 point line, and opens up the whole lane for him.
Jokes aside, thats what green/neal/leonard/bonner is there for. Parker's role is to drive and kick.

z0sa
06-30-2013, 02:12 AM
This was supposed to happen in 2008, tbh..

Mr Bones
06-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Why not ask timmy to work on his 3 point shot. Even better right. Nobody can defend a tall guy at the 3 point line, and opens up the whole lane for him.
Jokes aside, thats what green/neal/leonard/bonner is there for. Parker's role is to drive and kick.

Duncan's career 3pt% is .182, so there's no reason to believe he could ever hit 36-37% from there. Parker's a different case. And if Parker took, say, three 3s a game instead of one 3 a game, he'd still be penetrating/kicking out the vast majority of the time. I'm not suggesting a drastic change, but a subtle adjustment.

Ditty
06-30-2013, 02:37 AM
Parker could shoot 1,000 shots a day, as his jump shot still looks a little funny and inconsistent but I think parker has reached his limit on potential. The best for him is too continue to keep in shape especially with running stairs and hills to keep up his quickness.

chapnis
06-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Also, Duncan is not very good at 3s, he should become more like Matt Bonner over the summer.

Mr Bones
06-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Also, Duncan is not very good at 3s, he should become more like Matt Bonner over the summer.

You should work on your sarcasm over the summer. Someone already made that joke.

chapnis
06-30-2013, 02:48 AM
You should work on your sarcasm over the summer. Someone already made that joke.

k.

Mr Bones
06-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Parker could shoot 1,000 shots a day, as his jump shot still looks a little funny and inconsistent but I think parker has reached his limit on potential. The best for him is too continue to keep in shape especially with running stairs and hills to keep up his quickness.

Parker's FT% over the last 4 seasons has been .756/ .769/ .799/ .845. All of these are above his career FT% average of .748, so I'm not sure you can say he has reached his limit. It's seems to me that he has been constantly improving the past four seasons, and this last one was probably his best ever. If anything, this should be the point in his career when his speed has peaked and he should look to other skills to augment his game with.

Vash StampedE
06-30-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't really know but I assume Parker is contented with his current offensive arsenals: scoring in the paint and perimeter shooting. Indeed, adding a 3-point shooting to his game would make him totally unstoppable. It would have been a 2 player MVP race between him and Lebron. But apparently, he still doesn't have that in his game. I would be surprised if, in his remaining playing career, he adds one.

Baam
06-30-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't really know but I assume Parker is contented with his current offensive arsenals: scoring in the paint and perimeter shooting. Indeed, adding a 3-point shooting to his game would make him totally unstoppable. It would have been a 2 player MVP race between him and Lebron. But apparently, he still doesn't have that in his game. I would be surprised if, in his remaining playing career, he adds one.

That was his best season shooting the 3 and he even hit clutch ones like vs MEM in the regular season, GS in the PO and in game 6 of the finals of course.

Manu fixing his 3 point shot is much more important if he wants to pull his weight.

BackHome
06-30-2013, 09:41 AM
MANU AND GREEN.....

ironman2886
06-30-2013, 10:10 AM
He should practice more 3 point shots, move the ball more, and less less less Ball Hero
What's funny is that the Spurs took a 5 point lead late in the 4th quarter in game 6 because Tony made a clutch three and played hero ball. Parker just needs to stay healthy and workout with Duncan this summer to take it up a notch physically. Parker was exhausted in game 7. Attacking the paint, kicking it out, and hitting his jumpshot is just fine.

Mikeanaro
06-30-2013, 03:03 PM
What's funny is that the Spurs took a 5 point lead late in the 4th quarter in game 6 because Tony made a clutch three and played hero ball. Parker just needs to stay healthy and workout with Duncan this summer to take it up a notch physically. Parker was exhausted in game 7. Attacking the paint, kicking it out, and hitting his jumpshot is just fine.
Yeah, but in game 7 he did the same and he was out of ideas playing hero ball and made some stupid decisions, got blocked/loose the ball to 3 guys at the same time.
He is not the best player on the team, he will never be, I donīt know why he thinks he is the chosen one and must save the team like some kind of lone ranger

PlayNando
06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Parker is an intelligent international player. I believe we can have faith that he is doing all he can with his natural abilities to improve his game. He isn't some lazy gringo.

ironman2886
06-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Yeah, but in game 7 he did the same and he was out of ideas playing hero ball and made some stupid decisions, got blocked/loose the ball to 3 guys at the same time.
He is not the best player on the team, he will never be, I donīt know why he thinks he is the chosen one and must save the team like some kind of lone ranger
Parker played a shitty game 7. No doubt. Improved three point shooting isn't necessary. Staying healthy, attacking the paint, finding his teammates, and a consistent jump shot is. It would be nice if the Spurs had a PG that can play solid minutes and help this team out when TP is on the bench.

therealtruth
06-30-2013, 07:23 PM

They also lost a 10 point lead.