PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon movies

johnsmith
06-30-2013, 06:38 PM
I just got done watching Brave with my kids....I had never seen it before.

This led my wife and I into a heated argument over the best cartoon movies ever. Not counting old school movies, I firmly believe "The Incredibles" is the best....she was leaning to "Finding Nemo". I told her she is retarded.

Without question, The Incredibles, Wreck it Ralph, and Megamind are the best animated movies ever....thoughts?

Blake
06-30-2013, 06:41 PM
You talking computer pixar type stuff?

If so, I definitely have Incredinbles as my #1

johnsmith
06-30-2013, 06:52 PM
You talking computer pixar type stuff?

If so, I definitely have Incredinbles as my #1

Yeah, it has to be movies made in the past 20 years. But even if it wasn't, I can't see how animated movies prior to Pixar could hold a candle. I mean, I like Aladdin, but it's crap when compared to Toy Story.

CuckingFunt
06-30-2013, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed Wreck It Ralph tremendously, but I'm not sure it ranks on any best of lists for me. I liked the humor and the writing more than I liked the look of it. Megamind I thought was completely forgettable. But I would agree that at least among current generation animation, The Incredibles is comfortably at the top of the heap, in my opinion. I love that one. Followed closely by Wall-E, Up, and the rest of the Pixar stuff. With the exception of Wreck It Ralph, I haven't liked a non-Pixar animated film in a very long time, so everything else that's come out in the last couple decades or so is near the bottom of my list.

If you're talking best full length animated features of all time, though, my preference is easily for hand drawn animation. For that reason, I lean towards golden age Disney. Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia are at the very top of my list. Both are gorgeous and hugely innovative.

Honorable mention goes to Yellow Submarine. Hugely stylized, of course, and perhaps not always aesthetically pleasing, but I've always loved the film and when I was lucky enough to see a restored film print projected on a big screen, it looked fucking amazing.

Leetonidas
06-30-2013, 06:55 PM
I just watched Despicable Me last night on dvr, it was actually a pretty good movie.

Toy Story or The Iron Giant are my faves as far as animated/computer animated movies go

johnsmith
06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I enjoyed Wreck It Ralph tremendously, but I'm not sure it ranks on any best of lists for me. I liked the humor and the writing more than I liked the look of it. Megamind I thought was completely forgettable. But I would agree that at least among current generation animation, The Incredibles is comfortably at the top of the heap, in my opinion. I love that one. Followed closely by Wall-E, Up, and the rest of the Pixar stuff. With the exception of Wreck It Ralph, I haven't liked a non-Pixar animated film in a very long time, so everything else that's come out in the last couple decades or so is near the bottom of my list.

If you're talking best full length animated features of all time, though, my preference is easily for hand drawn animation. For that reason, I lean towards golden age Disney. Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia are at the very top of my list. Both are gorgeous and hugely innovative.

Honorable mention goes to Yellow Submarine. Hugely stylized, of course, and perhaps not always aesthetically pleasing, but I've always loved the film and when I was lucky enough to see a restored film print projected on a big screen, it looked fucking amazing.

See, I disagree completely with the hand drawn argument. You and I are the same age, and I believe you are just pointing to the nostalgic factor and you need to put it aside. The movies we grew up with did nothing to entertain the parents....nothing....and for that reason, they need to be ruled out.

Megamind may be in my top three strictly because of the will Farrell aspect, but it was still head and shoulders above anything Disney created in the 80's or before.

However, i still firmly believe that the most entertaining TV cartoon of all time was Duck Tales, my children scoff at the idea of something so crudely put together.

johnsmith
06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I just watched Despicable Me last night on dvr, it was actually a pretty good movie.

Toy Story or The Iron Giant are my faves as far as animated/computer animated movies go

All three of the Toy Story movies are outstanding too.

Blake
06-30-2013, 07:18 PM

Couldn't agree more about Sleeping Beauty.

it's mind blowing watching it, knowing it's from 1950(?). If the story line was a little better, it would be easily Disney's greatest.

Girasuck
06-30-2013, 07:22 PM
My favorite animated movie is 101 Dalmatians. Out of the current crop of animated movies, I'd put Toy Story at #1.

CuckingFunt
06-30-2013, 07:33 PM
See, I disagree completely with the hand drawn argument. You and I are the same age, and I believe you are just pointing to the nostalgic factor and you need to put it aside. The movies we grew up with did nothing to entertain the parents....nothing....and for that reason, they need to be ruled out.

Megamind may be in my top three strictly because of the will Farrell aspect, but it was still head and shoulders above anything Disney created in the 80's or before.

However, i still firmly believe that the most entertaining TV cartoon of all time was Duck Tales, my children scoff at the idea of something so crudely put together.

The nostalgia angle would make sense if I favored the animated movies from when I grew up, as well, but I don't. I think animation, feature length and short, from the 1970s through the mid-90s is largely shit. Really with the exception of The Simpsons. And maybe Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. But there are a ton of movies and other cartoons I loved as a kid that you couldn't pay me to sit through now.

For me it's an entirely aesthetic preference. One of my favorite things about animation is the art, so story (unless it's REALLY bad or REALLY good) has always been secondary for me in the genre. And as far as aesthetics are concerned, I almost always like analog over digital. The same is true for me in photography, effects, and film.

CubanSucks
06-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Toy Story
Shrek
Finding Nemo

Fuck anyone who says Wall-e. Pixar got a little too self-righteous when making that one, and save me the social commentary bullshit. Looked great, but pretty much Idiocracy without the humor.

The Reckoning
06-30-2013, 08:02 PM
The Brave Little Toaster tops all

GoodOdor
06-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Do Anime movies count as cartoons?

Princess Mononoke is my favourite. Akira is also great.

Out of the pixar ones, Wreck It Ralph was a recent great one.

The Reckoning
06-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Fieval Goes West tops The Brave Little Toaster

The Reckoning
06-30-2013, 08:12 PM
can't forget about the Fox and the Hound though :depressed

CubanSucks
06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
The Land Before Time > Brave Little Toaster > Fieval > Fox and the Hound

All great tho

CuckingFunt
06-30-2013, 08:46 PM

Now that's nostalgia talking.

Leetonidas
06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
totes forgot about LBT and Aladdin those movies are also badass. even the return of jafar was good imo

JMarkJohns
06-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Jungle Book for the music always had me.

Fantasia for the music and visuals.

I lean toward Up as my favorite modern cartoon film.

Also loved the muted tones/faded colors used within American Tale. Much of my color photography tries to capture this feel.

CuckingFunt
06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Jungle Book for the music always had me.

Hard to go wrong with Louis Prima, Sam Butera, and Phil Harris, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, a lot of late-60s through mid-80s Disney loses points for all the recycled animation. One of those things that can't be unseen.

NASpurs
06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I think Hotel Transylvania is probably the funniest of all cartoon movies.

JMarkJohns
06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Hard to go wrong with Louis Prima, Sam Butera, and Phil Harris, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, a lot of late-60s through mid-80s Disney loses points for all the recycled animation. One of those things that can't be unseen.

Yeah. Agreed. So many scenes are shared with Robin Hood. Another I always liked for the music.

Love that music. Couldn't get enough of the soundtrack growing up.

Spurminator
06-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Wall-E is still my favorite. Of the old movies, gotta be Dumbo.

Leetonidas
07-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Anyone see Over the Hedge? I liked Steve Carrell as a cracked out squirrel

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2013, 12:31 AM
HAVE ALL that shit on loop, good method to babysit

redzero
07-01-2013, 01:41 AM
If we're talking about all animated movies, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away would have to be put into consideration. As far as Pixar goes, all the Toy Story movies, Ratatouille, Up and Wall-E are the best. In regards to Disney movies, The Lion King is the best, no contest.

Wild Cobra
07-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Monsters Inc.

Haven't seen the new one yet, but I doubt they can beat the original.

johnsmith
07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Monsters inc was pretty damn good....so was Over the Hedge as was mentioned.

The Madagascar movies were pretty entertaining.

The best cartoon ever made though is still Duck Tales, followed closely by The Smurfs.

sjacquemotte
07-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Toy Story and Shrek are top two. Third would be Little Mermaid. Because I doubt any of those movies listed would have been made, had Little Mermaid not been so successful.

johnsmith
07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Toy Story and Shrek are top two. Third would be Little Mermaid. Because I doubt any of those movies listed would have been made, had Little Mermaid not been so successful.

Then I think you have to point to Fantasia too...

Blake
07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Monsters Inc.

Haven't seen the new one yet, but I doubt they can beat the original.

The new one is just ok. Doesn't come anywhere near the original.

For Pixar standards, it's definitely bottom three of their movies, Cars2 being the worst.

johnsmith
07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Cars 2 was absolutely awful. I was actually upset by that one...my kid even got pissed.

AntiChrist
07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Up

Spursnlego
07-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Despicable Me is one of my favorites. Haven't seen the new one yet though.

2pac > Kobe
07-05-2013, 07:19 PM
wrek it ralph was a waste of my weed high tbh

jeebus
07-05-2013, 08:06 PM

All great tho
Good choices. I also had a thing for The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under. The Iron Giant was pretty good as well. I'm a sucker for those 80s/90s cartoon shows and movie.

CubanSucks
07-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Good choices. I also had a thing for The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under. The Iron Giant was pretty good as well. I'm a sucker for those 80s/90s cartoon shows and movie.

Oh yeah, The Rescuers Down Under. And all these movies are just nostalgia favorites, I don't actually think they hold a candle to the others

clambake
07-06-2013, 03:40 PM
the incredibles.......and it's not even close.

Flawless
07-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Bug's Life is my favorite. Both The Incredibles and Finding Nemo were good as well.

LarryDavid
07-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Toy Story or GTFO.