PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Sources: Dwight indifferent about Rockets pitch, Dallas preparing for Tuesdays pitch

Lincoln
07-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Just saw on SC tbh

:lol rockets

Michael Jordan.
07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Funny because Serena is on SC.
The Houston Rockets' dinner presentation to free-agent center Dwight Howard at the Hotel Bel-Air centered on the franchise's championship history and an infrastructure designed to give Howard a chance at multiple titles, sources with knowledge of the meeting told Yahoo! Sports.

Houston has emerged as the frontrunner to sign the Los Angeles Lakers center, league sources said, and those close to Howard confirmed late Sunday that the Rockets did nothing to dampen Howard's enthusiasm for the possibilities of playing for Houston.

Beyond Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander, general manager Daryl Morey, his front office staff, and coach Kevin McHale, the organization brought Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler to make cases to Howard about ownership's long commitment to winning and its relationships with its iconic players.

"Hakeem didn't say much, but what did he say was very impactful," one source in the room told Yahoo! Sports. Olajuwon talked about the Rockets as a destination for championships and drew upon his own personal relationship with Howard, sources said.

Yao Ming, another former great Rockets center, connected into the meeting from China through Skype and talked to Howard about his experiences with Houston.

Rockets stars James Harden and Chandler Parsons pitched Howard about how they wanted him as a teammate, how the chemistry of the locker room would welcome him. Without bringing up the Los Angeles Lakers, the Rockets could sell two things that the Lakers likely can't: a chance for a close connection with the franchise's star players; and an immediate chance to be a championship contender.

"His main focus was winning and we will give him the best opportunity to do that," Parsons told Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears.

Howard was flanked with his agent, Dan Fegan, and Happy Walters, the CEO of Relativity Media and an agent in the company. What those close to Howard had been saying privately for months was clearly apparent through the probing that Howard did himself with Rockets officials: Winning was his most important priority in the process, and most of the evening was spent discussing how the Rockets had a history of constructing themselves around iconic centers in pursuit of championships.

McHale made it clear to Howard that he planned to build his system around him, and that, ultimately, he would hold Howard accountable every day in the franchise's pursuit of a title. The Rockets had long believed that McHale, a Hall of Fame power forward, would be an immense asset in the recruitment of Howard. Howard had never had a head coach that could identify with him so well, who could literally look him in the eyes.

Rockets officials plan to stay in Los Angels for several days this week, meeting with free agents around the area and staying connected to Howard as he meets with the Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Hawks and ultimately the Los Angeles Lakers.

Agents talking to the Rockets about potential additions to the roster say they're searching for shooters and complementary players to surround Howard. "They're progressing on everything with Dwight in mind," one prominent agent said Sunday night. "They seem very confident."

Michael Jordan.
07-01-2013, 10:12 AM
JA Adande:

They let him know why the Rockets are a good fit and why they are the best fit to compete for a championship. He did hear from all those legends. It apparently went well. That's what they always say, right? The surgery went well. It was a productive meeting. Houston is seen as the front runner for Dwight Howard's services right now.

Today - Atlanta and Golden State. Warriors are a long shot due to (lack of) salary cap space. Lakers don't want to do a sign and trade, in part because they don't want to take on long term salary. They can clear the decks in 2014.

Mitch Kupchak was the first to meet with Howard. A quick hello, good luck, we are interested, we hope this works out for you, and we hope you end up a Laker.

Lakers can still pay him 30 million more. There is a factor of playing in Los Angeles. The problem is, he sees it as additional pressure. He is doing his due diligence. Heard he spent time on the phone with Jack Nicholson.

Michael Jordan.
07-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Chris Mannix:

Where does Dwight Howard go?

Right now, Houston is a strong favorite. Talking to a couple people late last night and early this morning, they were very happy with the meeting last night and felt Howard was impressed with him. They got a good vibe from Dwight about his willingness to go down and play in Houston. The Rockets can trot out Hakeem, Clyde, Yao Ming on the Skype but the big reason Dwight wants to play in Houston is James Harden. He likes the idea of playing with Harden the next 4-5 years. He likes the possibility of that dynamic. I think Houston is a strong favorite. That being said, the hardest player to get a read on is Dwight. Every time you think you know what he wants to do, he goes in a completely different direction. Right now, I think Houston is a strong leader in the clubhouse.

Team with the best opportunity to win?

From a logical perspective, Golden State probably has the best chance. They're ready made with Thompson and Curry. He can't walk there and sign. Warriors would need to do a sign and trade and give talent back in return. The team he can sign with, Houston. Houston would look to a sign and trade as well. Probably look to move Omer Asik. With Harden, Lin, Parsons, the real talent on that roster, that is the best chance to win a title.

For LA, it sounds like they're resigned to this inevitable conclusion.

Every time you think of reasons for Dwight to stay in LA, the only thing that keeps coming back is money. There are just very limited reasons for one to go back. I don't know why the Lakers remain committed to Mike D'Antoni. I think the Lakers, they're saying they won't do a sign and trade with anyone but if Dwight wants to leave, and says I'm going to sign with Houston and they're willing to give you Omer Asik, he's not the worst idea for the Lakers right now. He's not as high profile but he's a legitimate five man. He rebounds, defends, runs the floor at a decent flip, a better offensive player than I thought when he signed in Houston last year. He's almost perfect to play alongside Gasol and will do the dirty work and won't demand the touches. If Dwight decides that he wants to go to Houston, it won't surprise me if the Lakers do a sign and trade that includes Omer Asik.

Josh Smith - I think Houston is interested in him as well. I think it will be part of the pitch to Dwight, we'll do everything to get Josh Smith to be your partner in the front court.

Findog
07-01-2013, 10:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNyoZZZCAAA0iBG.jpg

StrengthAndHonor
07-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Funny because Serena is on SC.
The Houston Rockets' dinner presentation to free-agent center Dwight Howard at the Hotel Bel-Air centered on the franchise's championship history and an infrastructure designed to give Howard a chance at multiple titles, sources with knowledge of the meeting told Yahoo! Sports.

Houston has emerged as the frontrunner to sign the Los Angeles Lakers center, league sources said, and those close to Howard confirmed late Sunday that the Rockets did nothing to dampen Howard's enthusiasm for the possibilities of playing for Houston.

Beyond Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander, general manager Daryl Morey, his front office staff, and coach Kevin McHale, the organization brought Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler to make cases to Howard about ownership's long commitment to winning and its relationships with its iconic players.

"Hakeem didn't say much, but what did he say was very impactful," one source in the room told Yahoo! Sports. Olajuwon talked about the Rockets as a destination for championships and drew upon his own personal relationship with Howard, sources said.

Yao Ming, another former great Rockets center, connected into the meeting from China through Skype and talked to Howard about his experiences with Houston.

Rockets stars James Harden and Chandler Parsons pitched Howard about how they wanted him as a teammate, how the chemistry of the locker room would welcome him. Without bringing up the Los Angeles Lakers, the Rockets could sell two things that the Lakers likely can't: a chance for a close connection with the franchise's star players; and an immediate chance to be a championship contender.

"His main focus was winning and we will give him the best opportunity to do that," Parsons told Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears.

Howard was flanked with his agent, Dan Fegan, and Happy Walters, the CEO of Relativity Media and an agent in the company. What those close to Howard had been saying privately for months was clearly apparent through the probing that Howard did himself with Rockets officials: Winning was his most important priority in the process, and most of the evening was spent discussing how the Rockets had a history of constructing themselves around iconic centers in pursuit of championships.

McHale made it clear to Howard that he planned to build his system around him, and that, ultimately, he would hold Howard accountable every day in the franchise's pursuit of a title. The Rockets had long believed that McHale, a Hall of Fame power forward, would be an immense asset in the recruitment of Howard. Howard had never had a head coach that could identify with him so well, who could literally look him in the eyes.

Rockets officials plan to stay in Los Angels for several days this week, meeting with free agents around the area and staying connected to Howard as he meets with the Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Hawks and ultimately the Los Angeles Lakers.

Agents talking to the Rockets about potential additions to the roster say they're searching for shooters and complementary players to surround Howard. "They're progressing on everything with Dwight in mind," one prominent agent said Sunday night. "They seem very confident."

Jelemy Rin not invited to the pitch meeting :lol

Michael Jordan.
07-01-2013, 10:23 AM

jeebus
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
MJ, sending OP to the tree of woe

jeebus
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Jelemy Rin not invited to the pitch meeting :lol
But if Dwight needs help with his math homework, they'll call him in

racm
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Knowing Dwight he'll end up with the Rockets anyway because their contract will be on the top of the stack

TimmehC
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
So, as chucker SG's go, he'd rather play with Harden?

Michael Jordan.
07-01-2013, 10:44 AM
So, as chucker SG's go, he'd rather play with Harden?

:lol Didn't know Harden was a chucker.

racm
07-01-2013, 10:46 AM
:lol Didn't know Harden was a chucker.

Can't understand how "flail for FTs or just shoot stepback 3s" means chucker these days smh

TimmehC
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Fine, should have said "ball-dominant" instead of chucker. I honestly thought he took more than 17 FGA's per game.

td4mvp2k
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
:lol

Michael Jordan.
07-01-2013, 12:08 PM

:lmao thirsty

Brazil
07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Somebody knows how much D12 would let on the table if he sign for the rockets ? I understood it was 30M$ but they don't pay taxes in texas or something like that, any idea of the net of the operation for him ?

UZER
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM

:lmao thirsty

So...apparently begging is not beneath the Lakers organization. It's only beneath the fans.

AchillesHeel
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Somebody knows how much D12 would let on the table if he sign for the rockets ? I understood it was 30M$ but they don't pay taxes in texas or something like that, any idea of the net of the operation for him ?

I don't think it works that way, they don't just play in Texas, he might save some money on taxes on home games but he plays on the road for 41 games of the season and gets taxed for wherever he plays, tbh. In the long run Dwight saves about 10-15 mil if he stays in LA, about 15 more million in guaranteed money in total.

Sean Cagney
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
MJ, sending OP to the tree of woe

I hope OP's team with all the shit he talks ends up with nothing :lol

jeebus
07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
I hope OP's team with all the shit he talks ends up with nothing :lol
After the title, it's become an annual thing to come up with nothing but ex Clippers. Can't break tradition tbh

Brazil
07-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't think it works that way, they don't just play in Texas, he might save some money on taxes on home games but he plays on the road for 41 games of the season and gets taxed for wherever he plays, tbh. In the long run Dwight saves about 10-15 mil if he stays in LA, about 15 more million in guaranteed money in total.

tax law in US is a bit difficult to follow for europeans. So globally he is letting 30M$ on the table minus state income tax on his salary for home games.

Howard's contract in LA is 118M$ over 5 years (last year being player option) and Rockets can go 88 M$ over 4 years. So that's the 30 M$ gap. Now between LA and Houston state tax gap is 13% so howard gonna save half of 13% income tax (home games) of 88M$ i.e 5,5 M$, gap is now 24,5 M$ + a fifth year for the rockets or another team, barring injuries he could make 14 M$ / 15 M$ ? at the end gap would around 10 M$ which is big but a lot less than the 30 M$ announced. Obviously this fifth year guaranteed playing for the Lakers is huge and in case of production decrease or injury gap could be higher but if Splitter or Asics can make 10 M$ a year, even a disminished howard would command more than that.

Is there something I miss here ?

jeebus
07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Kirby Bryant.

Mugen
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
:lol I wonder if the Lakers do a Tupac-style Jerry Buss hologram asking Dwight to stay tbh.

Brazil
07-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Kirby Bryant.

talking about the financials... damn we need Bruno to help us

Holden_Caulfield
07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
i'm surprised he knows what "indifferent" means :lol

ElNono
07-01-2013, 01:49 PM
tax law in US is a bit difficult to follow for europeans. So globally he is letting 30M$ on the table minus state income tax on his salary for home games.

Howard's contract in LA is 118M$ over 5 years (last year being player option) and Rockets can go 88 M$ over 4 years. So that's the 30 M$ gap. Now between LA and Houston state tax gap is 13% so howard gonna save half of 13% income tax (home games) of 88M$ i.e 5,5 M$, gap is now 24,5 M$ + a fifth year for the rockets or another team, barring injuries he could make 14 M$ / 15 M$ ? at the end gap would around 10 M$ which is big but a lot less than the 30 M$ announced. Obviously this fifth year guaranteed playing for the Lakers is huge and in case of production decrease or injury gap could be higher but if Splitter or Asics can make 10 M$ a year, even a disminished howard would command more than that.

It's even more complicated than that, because you also have to add endorsement/sponsorship income (which for marquee players is a huge bonus), and he also will have to pay tax on some of those.

UZER
07-01-2013, 01:58 PM
What day is Dwights meeting with ESPN scheduled so they can pitch to him why he should stay in LA? I heard JA Adande, Chris Broussard, and Wale will be there to help influence his decision.

Clipper Nation
07-01-2013, 02:01 PM
:lol I wonder if the Lakers do a Tupac-style Jerry Buss hologram asking Dwight to stay tbh.

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Other than the Lakers, Im not sure why other teams are even bothering.

Somewhere along the line, Howard was convinced that hes a great offensive player and needs a lot of touches on the low block.

He's not and he doesnt.

Hes a coach killer, notoriously immature, injured, egotistical..

LkrFan
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNyoZZZCAAA0iBG.jpg
:rollin

Brazil
07-01-2013, 03:27 PM
It's even more complicated than that, because you also have to add endorsement/sponsorship income (which for marquee players is a huge bonus), and he also will have to pay tax on some of those.

true dat but in that case it's favourable for Houston as part of that revenues will be taxed in Texas ? unless we consider he will earn less in Houston vs. LA in endorsement / sponsorship ?

StrengthAndHonor
07-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Drew Belzer ‏@DrewBelzer
So, Dwight asked the Rockets to add a 3rd good player to the team…with Chandler Parsons sitting right there. Nice.

:lol BFF

StrengthAndHonor
07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
slim thug ✔ @slimthugga Yo @DwightHoward (https://twitter.com/DwightHoward) meet @IAmMaliahMichel (https://twitter.com/IAmMaliahMichel) @MercedesMorr (https://twitter.com/MercedesMorr) @miraclewatts00 (https://twitter.com/miraclewatts00) @Lira_Galore (https://twitter.com/Lira_Galore) @IAmTresureP (https://twitter.com/IAmTresureP) @MisMODELKIKI (https://twitter.com/MisMODELKIKI) @victoriarrrose (https://twitter.com/victoriarrrose) @MAC_BXTCH (https://twitter.com/MAC_BXTCH)

Raven
07-01-2013, 04:37 PM

nothing really, he would just have a year shorter contract

ElNono
07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
true dat but in that case it's favourable for Houston as part of that revenues will be taxed in Texas ? unless we consider he will earn less in Houston vs. LA in endorsement / sponsorship ?

I couldn't answer that for sure. If it's like corporate america, and there's no reason that it would not to be, he'll create a company in Delaware or Nevada to sell his image to sponsors strictly because of tax considerations. In that case, it doesn't matter if it's LA or Houston as far as off-the-court taxes is concerned.

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=Michael Jordan.;6721814]351739800249839619

Is it just me or all these campaigns that say Stay D12 almost makes D12 sound like a dog and wanting him to obey lol

Dingle Barry
07-01-2013, 08:56 PM

I don't think this is correct. You either pay income tax or you don't. People don't have to pay partial state income taxes because they travel for business.

Twisted_Dawg
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Just saw on SC tbh

:lol rockets

That's just some ESPN spin hoping to hurt Houston's chances out of the fear Dwight signs with Houston and ESPN losses a big cash cow in the Lakers.

Rogue
07-01-2013, 09:32 PM
I genuinely hope he will join Rockets to screw up that team even more. Houston just never learn a lesson, they bet their house on a "dominant" big but every attempt has turned out to be a miserable failure since Hakeem left town

Kool Bob Love
07-02-2013, 12:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbrFmPBV0Y

yeah what the fuck kobe? what nash? Wat up dwight!!!!!

:rollin

usdane
07-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Please leave D12. Get him out of LA.

Killakobe81
07-02-2013, 01:07 AM
I don't think this is correct. You either pay income tax or you don't. People don't have to pay partial state income taxes because they travel for business.

Yes, you do. I cover multi-states and I have had to pay it. Dwight is no exception.

namlook
07-02-2013, 02:56 AM

It's correct. You pay taxes in any states you work in. If he's playing a game on the road he's working in that state.

irishock
07-02-2013, 03:47 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOJZX0KCEAMiBle.png:large

AchillesHeel
07-02-2013, 04:23 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOJZX0KCEAMiBle.png:large

lefty
07-02-2013, 04:39 AM
D12 is very impressed with coach Bud and Mark Jackson

HeatChamps
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
D12 picking shitty teams. He will lose.

King Nupe
07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Doesn't he get 100 Million from Addidas for Staying in LA or playing in Brooklyn? Isnt' that the same deal Rose got?