PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Parker vs Paul

racm
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Parker's contract: 4 years 50 million, 2 years left, last year is partially guaranteed.
Paul's new contract: 5 years 102 million

Parker: 4 Finals appearances, 3 rings, 1 Finals MVP
Paul: tw:lol sec:lolnd r:lolund exits, no WCFs

:downspin: det Clipper Nation

Seefourdc
07-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Because CP3 has had a good organization along with a bevy of other players to win championships with? Logic fail.

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Id take Chris Paul over Tony Parker any day of the week. Hes easily worth twice as much as Parker.

jeebus
07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Id take Chris Paul over Tony Parker any day of the week. Hes easily worth twice as much as Parker.
And in the case of his new contract, it's true.

racm

If Paul had Parker's knees this wouldn't be a question tbh

Michael Jordan.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxoztsI7nB1qbluopo1_500.gif

Clipper Nation
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/Rishtopher/You-Salty.gif

Btw, I'm sure CP3 could have done better than Parker's 10 points on 3-12 shooting and 4 assists in Game 7, even on a fake hamstring injury :lol

JamStone
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I don't think he's twice the player Tony Parker is, but I'd take CP3 over Parker too. If Parker played for the Clippers, I don't think they fare any better than they did this past season. If CP3 played for the Spurs, I think they win the championship over Miami. Granted, Parker had to deal with injuries. But I still take CP3 against a healthy Parker.

CP3 may never lead a team to a championship, but he's certainly a max player in the league. And I think the Clippers would have been fools had they not re-signed him.

KoolAid Mans Brother
07-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Put TP on the Hornets and Clippers the past 8 years, and he never gets out of the first round of the playoffs. Put CP3 on the Spurs the past 8 years, and they have 6-7 titles, including this year. This thread = flawed logic at it's best.

racm
07-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Put TP on the Hornets and Clippers the past 8 years, and he never gets out of the first round of the playoffs. Put CP3 on the Spurs the past 8 years, and they have 6-7 titles, including this year. This thread = flawed logic at it's best.

Since when was logic part of the NBA Forum anyway?

I'll be honest: I'd prefer Chris Paul to man the point for the Spurs, but I'm just pointing out that the #2 guy happens to have a crazily cheap contract.

Juggity
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
CP3 is a better PG than Parker, no doubt. But it's weird how Parker outplays him head-to-head.

racm
07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
CP3 is a better PG than Parker, no doubt. But it's weird how Parker outplays him head-to-head.

Maybe because Paul has never had a great 2nd option (apart from, um, David West) so Pop's great team defense shuts him down while Paul also has never played with a long athletic defensive wing who can give Parker fits?

Captivus
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2547447/will-ferrell-your-crazy-o.gif

Clipper Nation
07-01-2013, 11:04 AM

It's not that weird, when you consider that....

1.) Duncan/Manu (when he isn't in Turnobili mode) > any supporting cast CP3 has had, and Pop > any coach CP3 has had
2.) CP3 plays a high-risk, high-reward style of defense and gambles a lot for steals, which other elite point guards like Parker can more easily exploit than average or below-average players at the position
3.) Even LeBron has struggled against the Spurs, so a lesser player than LeBron struggling against them shouldn't be a surprise

JamStone
07-01-2013, 11:06 AM

That's a perception from recent history. But on their career head-to-heads, it's been pretty even with CP3 probably having a slight edge in production and even slightly better individual stats in the playoff match-ups. Parker's teams though have definitely had a big advantage against CP3's teams.

Parker has outplayed him in recent years, but it's not totally lopsided if you look at all the games they've played against each other.

Captivus
07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Rk
Player
Season

FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT%

TRB

AST
STL
TOV

PTS

Tony Parker (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01.html)
2012-13

Chris Paul (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paulch01.html)
2012-13

Those steals must worth a lot of money!!!!
Money is what he is stealing.

Per year salary:
Paker 12.5 + Ellis $8.5 = $21
Chris Paul = $21

Again, just an example of using $20+ million dollars.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
i take any pass first pg over the french scrub just for the sheer fact watching duncan get volume stats no matter what the outcome is

racm
07-01-2013, 11:15 AM
i take any pass first pg over the french scrub just for the sheer fact watching duncan get volume stats no matter what the outcome is

So you'd rather have Timmy go below 50 wins for only the second time in his career just for him to marginally go up the all-time scoring list faster?

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
So you'd rather have Timmy go below 50 wins for only the second time in his career just for him to marginally go up the all-time scoring list faster?

yes, timmy scoring is a art of beauty...

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Chris Paul is literally worth twice as much because he'll win you twice as many games:

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=211&player_ids%5B%5D=310

weebo
07-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Both players are elite point guards. You can't say that player X would do a lot better than player Y if....TP plays freely within the confines of Spurs team basketball. You can't substantiate claims that Paul would win 6-7 titles playing for the Spurs. Who's to say that Paul would thrive playing under Pop/Spurs system? How can we know if Parker wouldn't have led the Hornets or Clippers to the Finals? We'll never know because that shit never and will never happen. Both players fit perfectly for the system they play for...that is the reason they are both considered elite.

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 11:45 AM
CP3 has higher point per shot, higher true shooting percentage, higher assists, much better assist to turnover ratio, much better steals etc.

Basically CP3 is better at everything except three point shooting.

AchillesHeel
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
CP3 has higher point per shot, higher true shooting percentage, higher assists, much better assist to turnover ratio, much better steals etc.

CP3 is a better 3pt shooter than Parker :lol moron Parker barely even takes one three per game and shoots a really medicore % while CP3 also isn't Danny Green he's better as he takes 3s occasionally and makes em when wide open.

StrengthAndHonor
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
That's a perception from recent history. But on their career head-to-heads, it's been pretty even with CP3 probably having a slight edge in production and even slightly better individual stats in the playoff match-ups. Parker's teams though have definitely had a big advantage against CP3's teams.

Parker has outplayed him in recent years, but it's not totally lopsided if you look at all the games they've played against each other.
Thank you.

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
CP3 is a better 3pt shooter than Parker :lol moron Parker barely even takes one three per game and shoots a really medicore % while CP3 also isn't Danny Green he's better as he takes 3s occasionally and makes em when wide open.

Not even sure what to make of this post. Parker takes less threes but makes them at a better percentage.

mercos
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
$100 million is too much for any point guard. CP3 could not lead a fairly talented team out of the first round this year. That is not a max guy IMO. I understand why the Clippers had to do it, but I also realize they had to overpay in order to keep him.

Mr Bones
07-01-2013, 12:37 PM
$100+ million is nice for Paul's life style, but if it ultimately gets in the way of the Clippers ever winning a championship, then what would you say about his "decision-making ability?" A great player's decision making extends beyond the actual basketball court, and the team that just won back-to-back championships features players who took less to have better teammates... the runner-up team featured players who get paid less than they could elsewhere. In this new NBA with much harsher payroll tax penalties, a little bit of sacrifice from stars might be the difference between teams that win championships and teams that don't.

Killakobe81
07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
If Paul had Parker's knees this wouldn't be a question tbh

This. But when you factor knees and price tag I may take Parker. At even salary its Paul all day especially if at Parkers rate not Paul's

AchillesHeel
07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Not even sure what to make of this post. Parker takes less threes but makes them at a better percentage.

CP3 is more of a volume 3pt shooter like Kobe, they take contested 3s all the time and make an average percentage in the low 30s/mid-30s while TP barely even shoots one three a game (mostly wide open since he's never a 3pt threat) and still shoots the same %. CP3 has consistently taken about 3 threes per game and has shot a career 35% FG on them while Parker for his career takes 1 per game on 31%.

Cp3 is better than parker in ever facet of the game.

Killakobe81
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
$100+ million is nice for Paul's life style, but if it ultimately gets in the way of the Clippers ever winning a championship, then what would you say about his "decision-making ability?" A great player's decision making extends beyond the actual basketball court, and the team that just won back-to-back championships features players who took less to have better teammates... the runner-up team featured players who get paid less than they could elsewhere. In this new NBA with much harsher payroll tax penalties, a little bit of sacrifice from stars might be the difference between teams that win championships and teams that don't.

Well said. The best player in the world took less but Paul followed by Howard won't. If Kobe won't take less he can kick rocks too.

Killakobe81
07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
$100 million is too much for any point guard. CP3 could not lead a fairly talented team out of the first round this year. That is not a max guy IMO. I understand why the Clippers had to do it, but I also realize they had to overpay in order to keep him.

If Lakers keep Dwight they in same boat ...that is why I don't want him back if he just took $19, like LeBron I would be ok

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
CP3 is more of a volume 3pt shooter like Kobe, they take contested 3s all the time and make an average percentage in the low 30s/mid-30s while TP barely even shoots one three a game (mostly wide open since he's never a 3pt threat) and still shoots the same %. CP3 has consistently taken about 3 threes per game and has shot a career 35% FG on them while Parker for his career takes 1 per game on 31%.

Cp3 is better than parker in ever facet of the game.

Fair enough. My point was that the only thing Parker did better than CP3 last year was shoot the three better (he had a better percentage) but i understand your point.

I completely agree CP3 is head and shoulders above Parker.

weebo
07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Fair enough. My point was that the only thing Parker did better than CP3 last year was shoot the three better (he had a better percentage) but i understand your point.

I completely agree CP3 is head and shoulders above Parker.

'cept in winning...

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
'cept in winning...

Teams win games. And theres no way the Spurs lose to Miami if they had CP3 instead of Tony Parker.

AchillesHeel
07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Teams win games. And theres no way the Spurs lose to Miami if they had CP3 instead of Tony Parker.

There's no way CP3 would let himself get benched in crunch time of a championship clinching game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QxQYGd30-s

weebo
07-01-2013, 01:18 PM

...and you know this why??? How can you substantiate such a claim...because the box score indicates CP scores at a little better rate, is % pts in asst, etc???

Winning trumps everything. TP has been better at the one thing that matters the most WINNING. He's not some scrub bench player that's gotten a free ride. He's the leader and starting pg of a very good team and his has been for a while.

AchillesHeel
07-01-2013, 01:29 PM
...and you know this why??? How can you substantiate such a claim...because the box score indicates CP scores at a little better rate, is % pts in asst, etc???

Winning trumps everything. TP has been better at the one thing that matters the most WINNING. He's not some scrub bench player that's gotten a free ride. He's the leader and starting pg of a very good team and his has been for a while.

CP3 has always been more efficient and has done more(better raw scoring,assist, etc numbers) with a worse supporting cast, when has CP3 even had a HOF teammate, much less a top 5 or top 10 all-time great? Or a HOF coach (now he got Doc, but Doc is no Pop)?

Before the Finals I thought TP really came around and was playing like the 2nd best player in the league, little did I know he disappeared after Game 1.

Brazil
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
there is no way you can :spin dat one imho

DoK theory seems to be accurate, by this logic giving a max contract to a PG no matter how good the PG is, is foolish. Debate here is not to know if CP3 is twice as better than TP (which is obviously not true) but what a team could do with the 50M$ gap to reinforce his team. At the end of the day I prefer spending 50M$ on Paker + 50 M$ to bring nice pieces to the team rather than giving 100M$ to one single guy who deferred to J. Pargo.

weebo
07-01-2013, 01:40 PM
CP3 has always been more efficient and has done more(better raw scoring,assist, etc numbers) with a worse supporting cast, when has CP3 even had a HOF teammate, much less a top 5 or top 10 all-time great? Or a HOF coach (now he got Doc, but Doc is no Pop)?

Before the Finals I thought TP really came around and was playing like the 2nd best player in the league, little did I know he disappeared after Game 1.

How do you know those numbers would translate on a team like the Spurs where the offense is predicated on sharing the basketball?

Hey, well if we're going to be making shit up TP would have comparable numbers on the Clippers.

Another thing, when the Spurs stop CP3 its because of the Spurs play great D, but when Lebron and the rest of the back-to-back NBA champs Heat stop Parker in game 1 it's because CP3>TP. What stupidity.... :lmao

AchillesHeel
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
How do you know those numbers would translate on a team like the Spurs where the offense is predicated on sharing the basketball?

Hey, well if we're going to be making shit up TP would have comparable numbers on the Clippers.

Another thing, when the Spurs stop CP3 its because of the Spurs play great D, but when Lebron and the rest of the back-to-back NBA champs Heat stop Parker in game 1 it's because CP3>TP. What stupidity.... :lmao

Stats show that CP3 is the better player, TP has more accolades but it's thanks to playing with TD,Manu and other greats + Pop, CP3 has never had a HOF big man.

BatManu20
07-01-2013, 01:49 PM

And scoring in the paint. Parker dominates any PG, CP3 included, in that category.

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Hes not just a little better in assists/steals etc, hes A LOT better.

And now is NOT THE TIME to be defending Parker after he went 9/35 in games six and seven of the NBA finals.

For those who cant do math, thats just over 25% shooting.

Darth_Pelican
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
And scoring in the paint. Parker dominates any PG, CP3 included, in that category.

Pre-injury D-Rose was pretty good in the paint as well. I wouldn't say Parker "dominates" him in that category.

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Pre-injury D-Rose was pretty good in the paint as well. I wouldn't say Parker "dominates" him in that category.

And what difference does it make when Miami was able to keep him out of the paint and completely neutralize him?

gaKNOW!blee
07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
And what difference does it make when Miami was able to keep him out of the paint and completely neutralize him?

Like Lebron couldn't completely neutralize CP3?

BatManu20
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Parker averaged 16 pts and 6 asts in the Finals, and that was with Miami's entire defensive scheme focused on him. They said they weren't going to let Tony beat them, so they trapped him on every PnR, and took the ball out of his hands. It's also why why guys like Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Gary Neal were getting so many wide open looks.

If the Spurs had won the Finals, Parker would have won MVP. So I think it's a little ridiculous to say that they "completely neutralized him."

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Like Lebron couldn't completely neutralize CP3?

Lebron's gonna stop CP3 from getting steals/assists etc?

Parker doesnt have CP3s passing ability or defense. Or his explosiveness.

Spurs fans really are in denial. I didnt think anyone REALLY believed Tony Parker was on the same level as Chris Paul.

da_suns_fan
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Parker averaged 16 pts and 6 asts in the Finals, and that was with Miami's entire defensive scheme focused on him. They said they weren't going to let Tony beat them, so they trapped him on every PnR, and took the ball out of his hands. It's also why why guys like Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Gary Neal were getting so many wide open looks.

If the Spurs had won the Finals, Parker would have won MVP. So I think it's a little ridiculous to say that they "completely neutralized him."

Took the ball out of his hands? Dude shot 35 times in games six and seven.

They didnt trap him, just put lebron on him and that was it. He had to rely on his flaky jump shot and it cost the Spurs a ring.

HI-FI
07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I'd take Paul over Parker. less heroball, smarter player etc....But that contract with Paul is horrible. Plus they now have an overrated black coach, it looks like Clippers are simply content winning their division.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/Rishtopher/You-Salty.gif

Btw, I'm sure CP3 could have done better than Parker's 10 points on 3-12 shooting and 4 assists in Game 7, even on a fake hamstring injury :lol
I'd that based off him losing to a team we swept OR getting swept by us 2 years ago?

Bill_Brasky
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
$100m for any PG not named prime, AIDS-free Magic is just dumb.

Thebesteva
07-01-2013, 04:41 PM
So what you guys are saying is CP3's Agent is much better than Parkers?

In all seriousness, Tony Parker is the real deal and CP3 has yet to be proven in the post season. The guy is soft mentally....

stxspurs
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
contract includes a insurance job for Cliff Paul....its sounds like a deal to me

Thread
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Parker is a winner.

Paul is a loser.

jmanu20
07-01-2013, 06:43 PM
At the end of the day, WINNING is what matters. And the stats are currently TP with 3 rings and CP3 with ZERO.

And PLEASE stop with the BS about not having suitable teammates. This year he had the best supporting cast of his career and couldn't pass the first round against a Memphis team that the Spurs SWEPT!

Killakobe81
07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
At the end of the day, WINNING is what matters. And the stats are currently TP with 3 rings and CP3 with ZERO.

And PLEASE stop with the BS about not having suitable teammates. This year he had the best supporting cast of his career and couldn't pass the first round against a Memphis team that the Spurs SWEPT!

Though I would not call Paul a "loser" Parkers has proven to have better mettle in the post-season. I get he plays for Pop and has Timmy and who knows what Paul would do with them at his side? But bottom line is Paul starts off every playoff series like gangbusters but wears down as it goes on. First few games vs. Lakers his playoff in NOLA I thought it was Isiah Thomas reincarnate ... but when it was time to close us out he was lacking ...

Thread
07-01-2013, 07:05 PM