PDA

View Full Version : Andray Blatche re-signs with Nets for 1.4 mil

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Damn... I wanted the Spurs to go after Andray. But being able to sign Blatche at 1.4 million for 1 year is such a steal

ElNono
07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
There's a reason he keeps getting short deals... he's a great 'contract year' player...

timmy2003
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Shit. Andray is a good player.

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 09:48 PM
There's a reason he keeps getting short deals... he's a great 'contract year' player...

but we could've given him the same thing. Borrow him for a year at let him bolster the front court.

elemento
07-01-2013, 09:49 PM
He still gets paid 7.8m (minus 1.4m from BK) from Washington. It doesn't matter for him. He is probably happy in BK.

Good sign. BK has a pretty good team

Libri
07-01-2013, 10:11 PM

Wondering if you have heard about his salary. His combined salary for next season is going to be over $8 million, most of it comes from the Wizards who used the amnesty clause. It's a complicated formula that I don't understand. Also, by signing for on year, he is eligible for early bird rights next season.

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 10:15 PM
He's just another piece of the puzzle over there, not entirely important but contributes..

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Sigh... it just sucks seeing good back-up Centers signing for 1.4 million in a big market like Brooklyn while the Spurs most likely will have to pay Tiago 8 mil or more for a couple seasons.

sananspursfan21
07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
because i'm a member of the FO, my opinion is highly regarded but i lost interest in him last year. he's good but he's liable to lazy his own butt out of the league here in about 5 years

Agloco
07-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Sigh... it just sucks seeing good back-up Centers signing for 1.4 million in a big market like Brooklyn while the Spurs most likely will have to pay Tiago 8 mil or more for a couple seasons.

Again:

Wondering if you have heard about his salary. His combined salary for next season is going to be over $8 million, most of it comes from the Wizards who used the amnesty clause. It's a complicated formula that I don't understand. Also, by signing for on year, he is eligible for early bird rights next season.

Splits
07-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't understand how this works with an amnestied player.

1) Blatche gets amnestied in 2012 by Wizards with an $8m salary
2) He has to go through a 48 hour amnesty waiver process where the highest bidder gets hm
3) Nets claim him for around $800k on a 1 year deal, which goes directly to the Wizards
4) His contract is up and he's a free agent???
5) Nets resign for $1.4m

Shouldn't he have to go through the same 48 hour amnesty waiver process until his Wizards contract is over, in order for the Wizards to obtain fair market value? If he wanted to stay with the Nets, why didn't he stay for league minimum?

Doesn't compute.

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 10:48 PM
because i'm a member of the FO, my opinion is highly regarded but i lost interest in him last year. he's good but he's liable to lazy his own butt out of the league here in about 5 years

You don't think even putting him through Pop's system make him a better player? Or do you think he will just mentally break down and quit when the going gets tough?

ElNono
07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
but we could've given him the same thing. Borrow him for a year at let him bolster the front court.

Maybe. Maybe Pop doesn't play him and he becomes a problem. There's a reason the Wizards used the amnesty on him. Players with bad rep rarely land on the Spurs, unless we're getting them as part of a bad salary dump.

sananspursfan21
07-01-2013, 10:56 PM
You don't think even putting him through Pop's system make him a better player? Or do you think he will just mentally break down and quit when the going gets tough?

tough to say on the bolded part, he hasn't really been challenged you know? all he knows are mediocre seasons with the wizards and nets. about the first part, my question would be: would Pop want to work with him? he could change, i've seen other players do it but you know that Popovich like any other human has limits on his patience haha

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 10:58 PM

2) He has to go through a 48 hour amnesty waiver process where the highest bidder gets hm
3) Nets claim him for around $800k on a 1 year deal, which goes directly to the Wizards
5) Nets resign for $1.4m

Shouldn't he have to go through the same 48 hour amnesty waiver process until his Wizards contract is over, in order for the Wizards to obtain fair market value? If he wanted to stay with the Nets, why didn't he stay for league minimum?

Doesn't compute.

Exactly, which is why I'm asking this. Posters are saying that they don't get the amnesty clause, but in this instance Andray Blatche is an unrestricted Free Agent, meaning the 2012-2013 season was the last year he was in the Wizard's salary books. I don't think the Wizards still owe Andray anything, nor do the Nets have to pay the Wizards; Nets simply just got a one-year 1.4 mil contract out of Andray, which if that's the case is SOLID

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Maybe. Maybe Pop doesn't play him and he becomes a problem. There's a reason the Wizards used the amnesty on him. Players with bad rep rarely land on the Spurs, unless we're getting them as part of a bad salary dump.

Lol Spurs were high on Thomas Robinson, so in effect, one man's trash is another man's treasure

ElNono
07-01-2013, 11:00 PM

5) Nets resign for $1.4m

Doesn't compute.

If I understand correctly, no, he became a free agent, but his cap hold was for 130% of the original $8m ($10.4m). So Portland had to get rid of him or sign him for a contract close to the cap hold. Wizards are the only team that cannot re-sign him at all until that original contract is done.

More here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

Leetonidas
07-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Cheap deal but he doesn't give a shit since Washington is still paying him. Apparently KG really wanted Blatche to resign

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 11:02 PM
and sananspursfan21, it's probably just as bad (if not, worse) as waiving Stephen Jackson 2 weeks before playoffs right? :lol

Splits
07-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Exactly, which is why I'm asking this. Posters are saying that they don't get the amnesty clause, but in this instance Andray Blatche is an unrestricted Free Agent, meaning the 2012-2013 season was the last year he was in the Wizard's salary books. I don't think the Wizards still owe Andray anything, nor do the Nets have to pay the Wizards; Nets simply just got a one-year 1.4 mil contract out of Andray, which if that's the case is SOLID

I think you're right, but the wording in this WaPo article on this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-to-designate-andray-blatche-as-its-amnesty-player/2012/07/17/gJQADF6krW_blog.html) is confusing:

Blatche, 25, was considered one of the Wizards’ primary building blocks when they elected to trade away Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler and Arenas nearly two years ago, and rewarded him in September 2010 with a three-year extension that restructured his existing contract to be worth $35 million over five years.

I guess that means his contract was up after this past season.

sexinthatsx
07-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I think Wizards' don't owe him anything anymore. Which is why I still can't fathom how the Nets were able to get him for so cheap, and why he didn't demand a bigger contract if anything?

Splits
07-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Actually, from the beginning of that same WaPo article (from 2012):

The Wizards had until Tuesday to make the decision and gave Blatche the $23 million remaining on his contract to go away

If he was owed $23m in 2012, that implies his contract runs through 2015, not 2013, and was fully guaranteed.

From EN's link, while not exactly applicable to Blatche as a 7yr vet:

For example, if a 10+ year veteran is amnestied in 2012 with three years remaining on his contract at $10 million each season, and his salary is guaranteed 100% in 2012-13, 60% in 2013-14, and 0% in 2014-15, then the minimum bid for a partial waiver claim is $4 million -- the unprotected amount in the partly-protected 2013-14 season, which is larger than the sum of the minimum salaries for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. Since the 2014-15 season is completely unprotected, it is ignored when determining the minimum bid amount.

If instead the above player's salary was 100% guaranteed in all three seasons, the minimum bid amount would be $4,200,178 -- the sum of the minimum salaries for a 10+ year veteran for those three seasons.

So how did the Nets originally claim him for $1.1m?

All very confusing, seems like there is more to this story. Remember, nothing is official for another week or so, meaning it's worth taking these reports as speculative.

Libri
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I think Wizards' don't owe him anything anymore. Which is why I still can't fathom how the Nets were able to get him for so cheap, and why he didn't demand a bigger contract if anything?

They do. Read this article:

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/12/3/3721910/andray-blatche-makes-more-than-reported-result-of-complicated-formula

Floyd Pacquiao
07-01-2013, 11:28 PM
The reason he didn't sign with the Spurs last year was because San Antonio wasn't "black enough" for him apparently.

Splits
07-01-2013, 11:30 PM
They do. Read this article:

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/12/3/3721910/andray-blatche-makes-more-than-reported-result-of-complicated-formula

Interesting. So he's an UFA, even though the Wizards are on the hook for a portion of his salary. Thanks for the link.

sexinthatsx
07-02-2013, 12:20 AM
yeah thanks for the link. Wow, if that's how the amnesty provision works, no wonder the Lakers never had a second thought on amnestying Kobe.

Kool Bob Love
07-02-2013, 12:34 AM
The reason he didn't sign with the Spurs last year was because San Antonio wasn't "black enough" for him apparently.

Show me something? no homo.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Show me something? no homo.

Sorry can't give up my sources.

Spurs9
07-02-2013, 08:37 AM
The Spurs and every team in the league would have tried to sign him if they had the chance for that price.