PDA

View Full Version : Post here to express your disgust about the though of ellis replacing Manu

apalisoc_9
07-02-2013, 12:52 AM
I grew up as the only guy in our whole school wearing Manu Ginobili shirts. He's my all-time favorite player.

That said, if you go back to any of my previous post the whole post season, you would know that i've been higly critical of him. His game 6 performance was atrocious.

But anyone who thinks that the spurs should tweak its system to make Ellis as the Manu replacement and play the role that manu have always played should probably kill himself.

A bald manu at 36 is still a million times better than a chucker who can't pass, can't rebound, No defense whatsover.

I'm digusted that there are real people who acutally entertain this idea. :bang

SanDiegoSpursFan
07-02-2013, 12:54 AM
I think a lot of people are severely underestimating how bad Ellis is.

dg7md
07-02-2013, 12:54 AM
It's not disgust. Manu is finished. Seriously. He cost us the championship in many ways and, sorry, he isn't getting better.

Do I love Manu for what he has done for us? Without a doubt. But truthfully, we have to move on and try to get the team to perform better. Manu is just not good enough for the valuable six-man position in 2013.

Manu is not even that good anymore, he played really well in game 5 no doubt, but that was is only impressive game all playoffs after consistent levels of fucking us over.

His number will be retired, but he's going to cripple his legacy if he continues to falter like he has been in the last few years.

Poolboy5623
07-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Seriously?

TrainOfThought5
07-02-2013, 12:59 AM
at this moment in time... Monta Ellis > Manu.

it is what it is.

HI-FI
07-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Ellis will never be as great or unique as Manu. But then Manu is a shell of what he once was. It's sad. Ellis is definitely not a long term replacement for Manu, not sure if there will ever be, but hopefully we can find a solution for the time being.

slick'81
07-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Disgust sadly now its an upgrade

Poolboy5623
07-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Even if the spurs did obtain Ellis(which is a longshot), why would it be to replace Manu, necessarily? I think the two could play well together, but I don't think it's happening. Whatever happens, Manu has to have a diminished role.

FkLA
07-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Manu is my all-time favorite player as well but Ellis is better at this point. Don't see why it would have to be as a replacement either, if Manu is willing to take a paycut he could still be a useful piece off the bench imo. Hes just not good enough to be that explosive 6th man anymore.

Kool Bob Love
07-02-2013, 01:04 AM
would rather lose with manu than win with ellis....

apalisoc_9
07-02-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm not trying to argue if Manu is done or not.

I think as a go to guy, he's definely done. But ellis is not a replacment and I'm disgusted at thought of ellis being a 3 option.

People underrate how bad Ellis is. I'm 10000 postive Manu even at this point of his career, is still better than a detrimental player.

Sean Cagney
07-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Disgust sadly now its an upgrade
True, the great MANU was woeful last year and in the playoffs mostly, but man sadly as you said it's a upgrade now :( Sadly. I miss MANU.

I would rather win with both!!!!! I hate them losing. Either or Ellis is not coming here and we will retain Manu! Lets hope he has a better year next year and was just hurt this year! One can hope right?

spurraider21
07-02-2013, 01:09 AM
:vomit:

intlspurshk
07-02-2013, 01:10 AM
It's an upgrade. SPURS need a player to shoot the ball, not passing it out

spurraider21
07-02-2013, 01:18 AM
It's an upgrade. SPURS need a player to shoot the ball, not passing it out

#StayNeal14

Sean Cagney
07-02-2013, 01:19 AM
#StayNeal14

Neal sucks... Period. Game 6 and 7 this clown dissapears per usual.

td4mvp2k
07-02-2013, 01:20 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/32864846.jpg

#2!
07-02-2013, 01:21 AM
The last two playoff runs the Spurs have had to win more and more games without major contributions from Manu, and sometimes in spite of him. They have to find a new way forward. If it wasn't for Danny catching fire the finals could have been embarrassing.

and this is just fucking retarded.

michaelwcho
07-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Manu is still better than average, while Ellis is still worse than average. You want to talk about fools' gold, that's called ye olde volume shooter.

ElNono
07-02-2013, 01:32 AM
Wait, people actually thought the Ellis thing was for real?

:lmao

Russo21
07-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Ellis sucks. Manu is a detriment to the team these days and cost us a title. I don't want either of them on the team next year.

spurraider21
07-02-2013, 01:33 AM
ellis is the love child of kobe and neal

lefty
07-02-2013, 01:34 AM
:lol

FkLA
07-02-2013, 01:35 AM
You have to look at it like this; if Ellis ends up signing here Im sure it will be with the understanding that he will have to cut down on the chucking and play better D. What hes done in GS and Milwaukee is crap and if he wants to continue doing what he did on those previous two teams he wont show any interest in SA because he knows that shit wont fly here. If we land him we will be getting all the talent Ellis has without the bullshit, that's what intrigues me. All that talent in a controlled environment like the Spurs system can make for a really good and explosive 6th man imo. With Manu aging we need a player that can carry the offense for stretches, and this nigga has the talent to put the ball in the bucket/break down defenses to create open looks. Remember TJ Ford? Jack before the incident this season? Don't underestimate the Spurs culture, playing in a professional environment can turn players that seemed cancerous into solid contributors.

FkLA
07-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Wait, people actually thought the Ellis thing was for real?

:lmaoIts not legit? smh

MeloHype
07-02-2013, 01:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ3lSTVOPi8

dallasmaverickslose
07-02-2013, 01:38 AM
I grew up as the only guy in our whole school wearing Manu Ginobili shirts. He's my all-time favorite player.

That said, if you go back to any of my previous post the whole post season, you would know that i've been higly critical of him. His game 6 performance was atrocious.

But anyone who thinks that the spurs should tweak its system to make Ellis as the Manu replacement and play the role that manu have always played should probably kill himself.

A bald manu at 36 is still a million times better than a chucker who can't pass, can't rebound, No defense whatsover.

I'm digusted that there are real people who acutally entertain this idea. :bang

I agree. Ellis is an inefficient ballhog. Plus, he has a bad attitude that really doesn't fit the Spurs at all.

ElNono
07-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Its not legit? smh

Last year, Monta Ellis compared himself favorably to Dwyane Wade, claiming the only thing that separated the two was an NBA Title.

Wade has something else that Ellis presumably wants: a max-contract. According to a report from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Ellis won't get that max deal, or anywhere close to it.

Ellis rejected the Bucks' two-year contract extension, according to the report, which would have kept him in Milwaukee through the 2015-'16 season and paid him a total of $35.8 million over the three years. He is entering the final season of the six-year, $66 million contract he signed with the Warriors.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/report-monta-ellis-turns-down-extension-bucks

dude just walked away from $11m/season and he's looking for more money.

Holden_Caulfield
07-02-2013, 01:47 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Baam
07-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Lol at Nono still being in denial, Pop wanted JR Smith but somehow it's impossible that he wants Ellis?

FkLA
07-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Last year, Monta Ellis compared himself favorably to Dwyane Wade, claiming the only thing that separated the two was an NBA Title.

Wade has something else that Ellis presumably wants: a max-contract. According to a report from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Ellis won't get that max deal, or anywhere close to it.

Ellis rejected the Bucks' two-year contract extension, according to the report, which would have kept him in Milwaukee through the 2015-'16 season and paid him a total of $35.8 million over the three years. He is entering the final season of the six-year, $66 million contract he signed with the Warriors.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/report-monta-ellis-turns-down-extension-bucks

dude just walked away from $11m/season and he's looking for more money.But Ellis, 27, and his Washington, D.C.-based agent, Jeff Fried, are known to be willing to compromise in order to sign with a contending team. And the Knicks, who face the free-agent loss of sixth man of the year J.R. Smith (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/498313/jr-smith), would provide ample opportunity for Ellis to showcase his scoring prowess deep into the playoffs.
The Bulls (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/CHI/chicago-bulls), Spurs (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/SA/san-antonio-spurs), Nuggets (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/DEN/denver-nuggets) and Suns (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/PHO/phoenix-suns) also are among the teams who expressed interest in Ellis as the free-agent negotiating period began Monday at 12:01 a.m. ET, league sources said.

Or maybe he really wants that title in order to validate those statements? Who knows. Jack made some ridiculous comments comparing himself to Kobe in his day as well, so confidence isnt necessarily a bad thing imo. As long as these type of players can be tamed they can be huge assets for teams with title aspirations.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-02-2013, 02:11 AM
League has gotten smarter so he will struggle to find someone who will pay him what he was looking for.

bdictjames
07-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Some of you all are very ungrateful of what Manu brings to the team. Tim, Tony, and Manu. That has been our Big Three, that has made us the most consistent ballclub over the past 10 years. Show some loyalty here.

dallasmaverickslose
07-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Some of you all are very ungrateful of what Manu brings to the team. Tim, Tony, and Manu. That has been our Big Three, that has made us the most consistent ballclub over the past 10 years. Show some loyalty here.

:toast

ElNono
07-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Lol at Nono still being in denial, Pop wanted JR Smith but somehow it's impossible that he wants Ellis?

Smith was coming back from China and was cheap back when the Spurs were looking at him. For $3m, you can always take a flyer with him. Ellis is nowhere near that price range.

But Ellis, 27, and his Washington, D.C.-based agent, Jeff Fried, are known to be willing to compromise in order to sign with a contending team. And the Knicks, who face the free-agent loss of sixth man of the year J.R. Smith (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/498313/jr-smith), would provide ample opportunity for Ellis to showcase his scoring prowess deep into the playoffs.
The Bulls (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/CHI/chicago-bulls), Spurs (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/SA/san-antonio-spurs), Nuggets (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/DEN/denver-nuggets) and Suns (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/PHO/phoenix-suns) also are among the teams who expressed interest in Ellis as the free-agent negotiating period began Monday at 12:01 a.m. ET, league sources said.

Or maybe he really wants that title in order to validate those statements? Who knows. Jack made some ridiculous comments comparing himself to Kobe in his day as well, so confidence isnt necessarily a bad thing imo. As long as these type of players can be tamed they can be huge assets for teams with title aspirations.

He'll just get paid more somewhere else. I suspect the most the Spurs can offer him is somewhere in the $6m-$8m range.

FkLA
07-02-2013, 02:32 AM
If hes chasing the money then he obviously wont come here, and his play would likely continue to be erratic wherever he ends up. The only hope the Spurs have is if the guy truly is ready to take a paycut and change his game to be a part of a title contender...in that case theres no reason why we shouldnt be intrigued. A player with Ellis' talent minus all the bullshit would be a great pick-up. Pop has a long history of trying to get JR Smith btw, not just after his stint in China. He was minutes away from coming to the Spurs in the Brent Barry trade that never happened.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2013, 02:35 AM
I like the idea.

Doubt if it happens.

Keep Manu for a dfferent role and business, but the teams needs some scoring.

ElNono
07-02-2013, 02:42 AM
If hes chasing the money then he obviously wont come here, and his play would likely continue to be erratic wherever he ends up. The only hope the Spurs have is if the guy truly is ready to take a paycut and change his game to be a part of a title contender...in that case theres no reason why we shouldnt be intrigued. A player with Ellis' talent minus all the bullshit would be a great pick-up. Pop has a long history of trying to get JR Smith btw, not just after his stint in China. He was minutes away from coming to the Spurs in the Brent Barry trade that never happened.

Call me a skeptic. But hey, there's no games till November, so carry on. Agree with chu though, that if all those things would align, it would be good, young talent.

hommeaetage
07-02-2013, 02:42 AM

Yes, but they are getting old and need some help. You can't ask a 36 y/o SG to be your 6th man anymore. An upgrade is necessary at the position, but some of you are still oblivious to Manu's performance in the playoffs

ElNono
07-02-2013, 02:44 AM
I'm actually on the record that I like the general direction of the search, even if it's not Monta. We do need more guys that can create their own shot and don't depend on others to get some offense going.

I don't think that affects the Manu situation at all, but it's actually help for him.

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2013, 02:50 AM
would rather lose with manu than win with ellis....LMAO. Ridiculous loyalty. Go watch some Twilight movies if you're gonna be so Emo. You are the most annoying type of fan.

Definition of a Homer - Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=homer
You have to look at it like this; if Ellis ends up signing here Im sure it will be with the understanding that he will have to cut down on the chucking and play better D. What hes done in GS and Milwaukee is crap and if he wants to continue doing what he did on those previous two teams he wont show any interest in SA because he knows that shit wont fly here. If we land him we will be getting all the talent Ellis has without the bullshit, that's what intrigues me. All that talent in a controlled environment like the Spurs system can make for a really good and explosive 6th man imo. With Manu aging we need a player that can carry the offense for stretches, and this nigga has the talent to put the ball in the bucket/break down defenses to create open looks. Remember TJ Ford? Jack before the incident this season? Don't underestimate the Spurs culture, playing in a professional environment can turn players that seemed cancerous into solid contributors.Wells said. Couldn't have said it better.

FAILED THREAD. Seriously OP, why is it so hard to admit that Manu is done? He can probably contribute a little bit next year but there is no way in hell that he should have ball handling responsibilities next year, especially come playoff time. I don't understand why you Manu fan boys are so stubborn to recognize Manu's downfall. Please wake up out of your fantasy world where your love for Manu has blinded you from reality.

About Monta Ellis, I myself am not sure how much will Monta Ellis contribute to the Spurs should they sign him. I'm not even sure if Pop will be able to tame Monta Ellis into a team player. I was looking at Monta Ellis' stats and there was like a four or five year stretch where Ellis was shooting around +45% FG. If Monta can get back to doing that, if he can improve his jump shot by working with Chipp Engelland, if he can take better shot selection and penetrate or get more to the rim, then I think that Monta Ellis is more than capable of taking over that desperately needed backup PG spot to Tony Parker. He has the tools to do so. The only thing that worries me is his defense.

Manu would basically have a reduced role, similar to that of Gary Neal's where he becomes a spot up shooter and occasionally drive to the lane via cuts and screens. I don't know how capable is Manu of improving his jump shot and getting it back up to the percentage that it once was. Would Manu be willing to put in the time during the offseason and regular season to improve his shot? What if it's not even his shooting technique but the problem is actually his legs? Maybe his elevation in the air has declined to where it's affecting his jump shot. Maybe he should spend some time with Chipp to analyze his shooting technique.

There are lots of questions to be answered come next season. Can Manu change his diet to a more healthy one and work out on his strength and conditioning in the hopes of improving his lower body? You know strengthen those thighs, hamstrings, etc.

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Manu fan boys reacting whenever they hear or read criticism about Manu:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmn2h3zKJ71qafrh6.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcuo8miZkl1rr5vu6.gif

DAF86
07-02-2013, 03:27 AM
WTF :lol

I'm all about getting a good playmaker to bring off the bench and limit Manu's role but Ellis is definitely not one of those players. He's a very, very, veeery poor version of Allen Iverson. He can't shoot the three, he can't shoot free throws, he can't defend, he's small and he turns the ball over more than Manu. Why the fuck would you like this guy on the team? He's not a championship caliber player, he's just a stat padder on crappy teams. Very disapointed on my nigga FkLA for saying this scrub is better than Manu. Manu on an injury list is better than this dude if only for not being a no-skill, ball-stopping, monkey baller, team cancer, tbh.

chapnis
07-02-2013, 03:44 AM
Manu fan boys reacting whenever they hear or read criticism about Manu:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmn2h3zKJ71qafrh6.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcuo8miZkl1rr5vu6.gif

I'm pissed at Manu about the Finals and all, but people aren't criticizing him, they are just attacking him and saying he has no game left, which he has dis-proven time and time again. Sure he's not the force he used to be, but you're an idiot if you think he can no longer be an effective NBA player.

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2013, 03:47 AM
I'm pissed at Manu about the Finals and all, but people aren't criticizing him, they are just attacking him and saying he has no game left, which he has dis-proven time and time again. Sure he's not the force he used to be, but you're an idiot if you think he can no longer be an effective NBA player.Did you read my above statement? I have my doubts. He would have to willingly go out of his way to improve or be effective. He can no longer rely on pure talent and skill. Is he willing to do those extra things in the gym and practice? I find it hard to believe. I would like to be wrong.

FkLA
07-02-2013, 03:52 AM
WTF :lol

I'm all about getting a good playmaker to bring off the bench and limit Manu's role but Ellis is definitely not one of those players. He's a very, very, veeery poor version of Allen Iverson. He can't shoot the three, he can't shoot free throws, he can't defend, he's small and he turns the ball over more than Manu. Why the fuck would you like this guy on the team? He's not a championship caliber player, he's just a stat padder on crappy teams. Very disapointed on my nigga FkLA (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17213) for saying this scrub is better than Manu. Manu on an injury list is better than this dude if only for not being a no-skill, ball-stopping, monkey baller, team cancer, tbh.

My first post in this thread is probably misleading. If Ellis comes here and continues to be the same low-percentage chucker that doesnt play any D than yeah Id still take Manu over him. Like I said in my other posts though, thats not what intrigues me...what intrigues me is the possibility that all the raw talent Ellis has can be tamed by Pop. If that were the case than yeah Id have to say that he would make a better 6th man than an aging Manu. Still want our nigga Manu back though of course, just in a more limited role.

chapnis
07-02-2013, 03:57 AM
Did you read my above statement? I have my doubts. He would have to willingly go out of his way to improve or be effective. He can no longer rely on pure talent and skill. Is he willing to do those extra things in the gym and practice? I find it hard to believe. I would like to be wrong.

Manu Ginobili is one of the fiercest competitors in the NBA and if you find it hard to believe that Manu isn't willing to get the extra distance to stay productive and contribute then you must have been watching a different Manu Ginobili than I have been watching for the past 10 years.

gnsf0946
07-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Manu is just saving himself for the playoffs, he doesn't bother with regular season...

oh wait...

Kool Bob Love
07-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Manu is just saving himself for the playoffs, he doesn't bother with regular season...

oh wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh8MGVHaShA

Kool Bob Love
07-02-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rvK3Ys2umE

Keepin' it real
07-02-2013, 08:21 AM

Do you even stop and think before you post something as stupid as this?

Jumi
07-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Manu needs to sit back this summer and REST! We still need another playmaker, but Ginobili still has it in him somewhere! He'll figure it out!

bigfan
07-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Manu isnt going anywhere. Calm down.

unleashbaynes
07-02-2013, 08:39 AM
fuck ellis. dude is a washed up has been ane hes not even close to manu in age

rascal
07-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Lame

sananspursfan21
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Honestly my biggest issue is that he's undersized. His shooting habits can be tamed I think

dg7md
07-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Manu almost gave away the Finals in every single way.

Offensively (chucking bad shots, missing a key FT), defensively (being too slow, fouling often, turnovers), and being the frontrunner for the Heat's major runs that sealed their victories in games we should have won. Plus, he's making millions in addition to failing us when we needed him most, game 5 notwithstanding. That game was in the bag for us regardless of his contributions tbh. Did he have heart? Sure he did, so did Neal, so did Blair. They all pretty much did except Parker at the end of game 7.

So yeah, not feeling sorry for Manu. He deserves the criticism. It's not 2007 Manu anymore, sorry. He's done. He'd be lucky to average 8 points a game next year.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Expressing my disgust at Ellis replacing Manu...NOW:

...and finished.

superbigtime
07-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Would rather have Jarrett Jack. But both are upgrades over Manu. Manu shat and vomitted all over himself and the team in front of the nation. Those stains aren't coming out. What more does Manu need to do to convince people he is finished? Old, bald, injury prone, error prone. Fucking retire.

Capt Bringdown
07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
If we had Ellis instead of Manu this year we would have won the championship.

HemisfairArena
07-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I dont even care about adding Ellis just dont bring Manu back and that is addition by subtraction right there. An open roster space is more effective than Manu right now.

Stabula
07-02-2013, 11:52 AM
It's not happening.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2013, 12:01 PM
If we had Ellis instead of Manu this year we would have won the championship.

If the Spurs had an empty roster spot instead of Manu they'd likely have won the championship.

temujin
07-02-2013, 12:07 PM
If the Spurs had an empty roster spot instead of Manu they'd likely have won the championship.

Sure: going back to Miami down 3-2 = championship.
Piece of cake.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Sure: going back to Miami down 3-2 = championship.
Piece of cake.

Manu played well one out of seven games. That means he played like utter shit six out of seven games. Math tbh.

temujin
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Manu played well one out of seven games. That means he played like utter shit six out of seven games. Math tbh.

Life can be black and white (manu's G6 and G5) but often times is grey.
He could have wrecked G1 and G3, which he didn't. Not balck, not white, grey.
It's easier with black and white, but it's so untrue.

elemento
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Not gonna happen so I don't care

Embedded
07-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Why do people forget that Mr. Ginobili missed a lot of games at the end of the season due to hamstring injuries? Granted, he misses a lot of games in the past, but if you look his playing style has become less reckless. I actually think he will have a better year next year because he's not playing this summer. I think he needed a rest.

Johnny RIngo
07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
More disgusted with Manu right now. Ellis could be a breath of fresh air for this franchise tbqh.

Embedded
07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Ellis is a ball hog and not a character guy like we need. We can't run our offense with Monta Ellis, we have to run HIS offense.

cjw
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Monta averaged 14.3 / 3.3 / 5.5 and 3.5 turnovers (2.5 steals aren't bad) in a first round walkover vs. the Heat on low 40's shooting. Nothing overly impressive. I'll take Manu at less than half the price over him and throw my extra money at AK47 and Splitter. Not sure how much of Monta's stats came in garbage time either (or game 4 in which Wade didn't even play).

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Would never happen. Manu much like Bonner will be a Spur for life.