PDA

View Full Version : Netflix 'Orange is the new black' original series its best yet?

oh crap
07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
from the creator of weeds. apparently leaving critics "astounded"...
nryWkAaWjKg

http://news.yahoo.com/netflix-done-again-orange-black-astounded-critics-141905098.html

Netlfix had enough confidence in their upcoming series, Orange Is the New Black, to have renewed it for a second season before it even debuted. Based on early reviews, their instincts were probably right: the streaming service's booming original-content wing has another critical hit on their hands.

Up until now, the show was something of an unknown. Orange didn't have the established (and rabid) fan base of Arrested Development, nor did it have the David Fincher-style prestige or Kevin Spacey-level star wattage of House of Cards. You couldn't even write it off as genre programming, as with Eli Roth's Hemlock Grove, the horror show that had its all-at-once debut on Netflix in April. No, Orange Is the New Black, based on a memoir by Piper Kerman, follows a yuppie woman who, because of some drug smuggling she did years ago, winds up in a minimum security prison. Fans of Weeds could take solace in known that that show's creator, Jenji Kohan, was on board for this one, and that Orange would be ready for yet another Netflix binge-watch, all in one summer-weekend sitting even, beginning on July 11.

Now The Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman explains in his review how wary he was of the show based on its premise, but goes onto say that the show "not only surprised but at various points astounded." He continues by saying that Kohan "has crafted a dramedy based on the popular memoir of the same name from Piper Kerman and infused it with an unpredictable flow of laughs, seriousness, an impressive and measured reveal of character backstories, and enormous potential."

At the New Yorker, Emily Nussbaum also raves (and later goes on to pan Showtime's new success Ray Donovan). She calls Orange "smart, salty, and outrageous," and praises the show's treatment of women, writing that it is "also smarter and subtler about the entire range of female-female dynamics than almost anything on TV." Alison Wilmore of Indiewire also dolled out superlatives, calling the show Netflix's "best so far."

We still don't know how many people will actually stream the series, but by anticipating the good reviews and renewing immediately, Netflix appears to have presciently patted themselves on the back. If Orange Is the New Black remains a niche success among elite fans, then the company will have shown that they are committed to quality television regardless of the result, perhaps avoiding some of the criticism that, say, HBO faced when it canceled Enlightened after two seasons. And now Netflix has also shown that they don't need a Fincher-Spacey duo or an established property to make quality television.

Wild Cobra
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I think Netflix will do good with their series, but this one doesn't look like its for me. I really liked their last one though!

oh crap
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I really liked their last one though!

yeah, i really liked house of cards but still haven't gotten past the first episode of the new arrested development. and haven't watched hemlock grove yet either.

DesignatedT
07-02-2013, 04:07 PM
House of cards was the shit. Haven't watched the other ones though.

CitizenDwayne
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Hemlock Grove sucks (as does anything with Eli Roth's name attached to it).

House of Cards was great, though, and Lilyhammer and the new Arrested Development both have their moments.

Spur-Addict
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Lets be honest, this doesn't look good at all.

CuckingFunt
07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Considering how horrible Weeds was in its last few seasons, the fact the show is from Jenji Kohan is as potentially bad as it is potentially good.

Other than that, the only thing that caught my eye is Laura Prepon as a lesbian, but it doesn't look like she's that big a part of the series as a whole, so... meh.

Wild Cobra
07-03-2013, 03:11 AM
Considering how horrible Weeds was in its last few seasons, the fact the show is from Jenji Kohan is as potentially bad as it is potentially good.

Other than that, the only thing that caught my eye is Laura Prepon as a lesbian, but it doesn't look like she's that big a part of the series as a whole, so... meh.
Yep, I like the first few seasons of weeds, but then the writers must have smoked to much. The show went up in smoke.

Wild Cobra
07-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Lets be honest, this doesn't look good at all.

I'm sure it will appeal to many out there. Just not me.

Spur-Addict
07-03-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm sure it will appeal to many out there. Just not me.

That's the truth. Shit like this has a large market. I can't take anything serious that has Jason Biggs in it. And the main character, Schilling, is straining way too much in the trailer alone. Plus, the story line is weak. Recipe for disaster as they say.

Spur-Addict
07-03-2013, 08:55 AM

I stopped watching once they went to Seattle. Weeds turned into a big joke.

leemajors
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Weeds turned into a joke well before that.

Spur-Addict
07-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Weeds turned into a joke well before that.

I agree. But I held on a while hoping they would turn it around, but that was the last straw. Once you're so far into something, it's hard to just, up and stop all together.

leemajors
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
I agree. But I held on a while hoping they would turn it around, but that was the last straw. Once you're so far into something, it's hard to just, up and stop all together.

Quit soon, binge on Netflix later if you have to. Plenty of good shows out there

Spur-Addict
07-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Quit soon, binge on Netflix later if you have to. Plenty of good shows out there

That's what I've been doing as of late. I'll wait for a few seasons of a show to come out, then watch them all consecutively (with breaks in between obviously) marathon style. It feels more like a movie, and I don't like waiting for episodes every week. Usually an entire season will have to be out before I watch a show now. Although with some shows it's different (Mad Men for instance). I started watching House Of Cards on Netflix, but I stopped a few in and haven't gone back yet.

The Gemini Method
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
The Kevin Spacey-House of Cards was a great series--I preferred it over the English version. Watched a little of Hemlock Grove and found that to be alright. I think the delay and the wanton clamor for the comeback of Arrested Development muted the new episodes for me. Lost it for me but I do like the cameos in the Netflix offering of AD.

oh crap
07-03-2013, 02:29 PM
and just to be clear, i'm pretty meh to indifferent on this show too as I hated the last few seasons of weeds as well. just saw the article and was surprised by the rave reviews coming in from critics so far. i'll probably watch an episode or two to see if it's for me but i expect that it won't be. house of cards>>>>

JudynTX
07-03-2013, 02:43 PM
No thanks, it looks like crap.

mrsmaalox
07-03-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't know, I might try it.

oh crap
07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
No thanks, it looks like crap.

:lol not that i'm defending it or give a shit, but don't you watch big brother and other lame shows?!

JudynTX
07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
:lol not that i'm defending it or give a shit, but don't you watch big brother and other lame shows?!

I do. :D I just don't wanna see chicks in prison. :lol (Damn, big brother is kinda like prison) :lmao

jimo2305
07-05-2013, 08:37 PM
it doesn't seem like its for me neither from the previews i saw.. but the way people are raving about it i'll give it one episode

Bill_Brasky
07-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Weeds was joke after the town burned down.

DesignatedT
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Anyone watched this shit yet?

MannyIsGod
07-11-2013, 11:37 PM

Weeds went downhill after S3 or so (the big fire). Was just pretty piss poor after that.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Weeds was joke after the town burned down.

Exactly

MannyIsGod
07-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Loved House of Cards. I never could get into Arrested Development. I might give this a try. We'll see.

monosylab1k
07-12-2013, 12:38 AM
The new Arrested Development gets funnier as it goes on. The end fucking blows tho.

Bill_Brasky
07-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Donna shows her tits and they aint bad tbh

sook
07-13-2013, 01:30 AM
weeds sucks, probably won't watch it just because of that.

IronMaxipad
07-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Donna shows her tits and they aint bad tbh
sold

oh crap
07-13-2013, 11:57 PM
plans fell through tonight so i might give this a try.

oh crap
07-16-2013, 11:13 PM

she actually plays a pretty big part

IronMaxipad
07-22-2013, 06:43 PM
So has anyone watched it all yet? I heard it's actually pretty good. Haven't started watching it myself because i'm trying to catch up on a couple other shows.

Udokafan05
07-22-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm about 4 episodes in. It's ok, not better than House of Cards. The main girl in it is really good.

Spurminator
07-22-2013, 10:54 PM
It's good. It sometimes feels too much like a comedy for some of the "darker" stuff to really work as well... Some of the characters go from almost comic relief to downright evil in a matter of seconds. But there are some really good performances in it and it was good enough that I powered through it in about a week. B+, better than House of Cards by a hair.

oh crap
07-22-2013, 10:57 PM
^^i agreed with every word until the better than house of cards part at the end. but i did like this more than i had thought i would and agree with everything else you said.

DesignatedT
07-22-2013, 11:50 PM
It's pretty good. There's some good acting performances throughout.

It's not better than House of Cards though.

I'm really liking these Netflix production shows though. They are really put together well. Working out much better than I initially thought they would.

leemajors
07-23-2013, 07:09 AM
It's pretty good. There's some good acting performances throughout.

It's not better than House of Cards though.

I'm really liking these Netflix production shows though. They are really put together well. Working out much better than I initially thought they would.

They're going to start doing documentaries and producing standup specials too :tu Pretty good turnaround from the streaming/dvd split fiasco from a few years ago

Oh, Gee!!
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
I started watching Lilyhammer, another Netflix series, and it's pretty good as well.

oh crap
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
I do wish they would have cast somebody other than jason biggs to play larry. he does decent but is one of the weakest in the cast and i can't look at him without thinking american pie. donna with black hair definitely takes some getting used to. lots of great performances, probably one of the realest characters on the show is the mexican mom, i've known bitches like her. she plays the part to the t.

Oh, Gee!!
07-23-2013, 11:05 AM
puerto rican

ashbeeigh
07-23-2013, 05:04 PM
My heart just about broke when Crazy Eyes heard Larry talk about what Piper thought about her. I'm on episode 9 or something. I am going to finish this week. And Donna plays a pretty large role, CF. If that's the only reason you're watching it'd be a justifiable reason.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey how about you not drop spoilers in a thread with many people saying they are going to watch something?

Xylus
07-23-2013, 11:53 PM
After watching all 13 episodes, I was pretty impressed with the quality of this show. Each character is fully realized. This show is way better than Weeds ever was.

Red is easily the best character. She steals every scene she's in.

leemajors
07-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Pretty good show, about 7 eps in. However, the end of the chicken episode was fucking stupid.

ashbeeigh
07-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey how about you not drop spoilers in a thread with many people saying they are going to watch something?

You're welcome

oh crap
08-09-2013, 01:22 PM
already been renewed for a second season.

Mark in Austin
08-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Pretty good. Definitely worth another season.

DMC
08-09-2013, 07:21 PM
That's what I've been doing as of late. I'll wait for a few seasons of a show to come out, then watch them all consecutively (with breaks in between obviously) marathon style. It feels more like a movie, and I don't like waiting for episodes every week. Usually an entire season will have to be out before I watch a show now. Although with some shows it's different (Mad Men for instance). I started watching House Of Cards on Netflix, but I stopped a few in and haven't gone back yet.
Same. You see plot holes all the time though when you do it that way, but you can stay with the story line easier.

MannyIsGod
08-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Great show. I agree Red is the best character by far. Captain Janeway kills it.

Phillip
10-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Started watching this. I've really enjoyed it so far. Much better than I expected.

oh crap
06-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Comes back tomorrow.

The Gemini Method
06-05-2014, 12:06 PM
surprisingly entertaining

leemajors
06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
2nd season definitely a step down in quality imo. I don't like Vee at all, one ep to go.

oh crap
06-16-2014, 01:29 AM
2nd season definitely a step down in quality imo. I don't like Vee at all, one ep to go.

BIG step down. Season one>>season two

to21
06-23-2014, 02:55 PM
surprisingly entertaining

baseline bum
06-23-2014, 05:58 PM

Sounds like Lillyhammer. That shit was horrible in year 2.

Capt Bringdown
06-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Rather like a Hogan's Heroes version of HBO's Oz methinks. One of those love it or hate it deals, although on the love side the show does seem to inspire wild devotion and accolades.

I found it tedious and unwatchable.

to21
06-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Just finished the second season...not bad.

The Gemini Method
06-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Sounds like Lillyhammer. That shit was horrible in year 2.

Not comparable. Lillyhammer was terrible from start to finish. OITNB was slow but it went into detail about the ladies. It was better in that aspect but slightly less than the 1st season but not at all horrid like the promising Lillyhammer.

oh crap
06-24-2014, 12:29 PM
show might not be for everyone, but i've not really heard people say they hate it. don't really see it as a love it or hate it kind of thing but maybe i'm biased.

oh crap
06-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Not comparable. Lillyhammer was terrible from start to finish. OITNB was slow but it went into detail about the ladies. It was better in that aspect but slightly less than the 1st season but not at all horrid like the promising Lillyhammer.

season 2 was considerably less quality and lost something from the first season, but still pretty decent and no where near horrible.

The Gemini Method
06-24-2014, 12:38 PM
season 2 was considerably less quality and lost something from the first season, but still pretty decent and no where near horrible.

Less quality? Slightly but not by much. I think it did what the 1st season should have and explained the supporting cast. Not sure what else people wanted it couldn't keep the same beginning premise it had to evolve. I think, though, where it lost momentum is kind of what happened in American Horror Story in its sophomoric year and that was trying to introduce too many plot lines and left the ones that should have been pertinent and fully undeveloped. I mean the Vee storyline was a good add but by the time you start to see the element of her being a terrible human being she is offed. The light of the 2nd season is delving into the personal lives even more further. It also led to a slight lessoning of the show by diluting its purpose. All things said, I think we all believe it is slightly less than the first but I've heard people bash it and not have concrete reasons to do so. I guess that is the way it is nowadays that people can voice their opinion and its readily accessible weather it is true or not.

oh crap
06-24-2014, 01:07 PM
the larry/ best friend storyline was predictable. just when you started to care about the cancer patient, who had pretty much no role before, they off her. for all this talk about evolving, at the end of the day, what has evolved? Vee came and went. i didn't care for her character or her arc. she was this seasons villain and nothing more. what are they going to do next season? they substantially lessened one of the key characters roles this season in Red. I could go on and on. Season one was a solid 4 out of 5 stars, this season maybe 3 (or less). i'd consider that a substantial difference.

leemajors
06-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Less quality? Slightly but not by much. I think it did what the 1st season should have and explained the supporting cast. Not sure what else people wanted it couldn't keep the same beginning premise it had to evolve. I think, though, where it lost momentum is kind of what happened in American Horror Story in its sophomoric year and that was trying to introduce too many plot lines and left the ones that should have been pertinent and fully undeveloped. I mean the Vee storyline was a good add but by the time you start to see the element of her being a terrible human being she is offed. The light of the 2nd season is delving into the personal lives even more further. It also led to a slight lessoning of the show by diluting its purpose. All things said, I think we all believe it is slightly less than the first but I've heard people bash it and not have concrete reasons to do so. I guess that is the way it is nowadays that people can voice their opinion and its readily accessible weather it is true or not.

I just didn't care for Vee dragging down characters I grew to like in the first season. Just seemed regressive, even though they are "just" prisoners etc, etc.

baseline bum
08-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Finally started watching this show the last few weeks, and Season 2 is so much better than Season 1. The show is pretty funny, though it's kind of stupid seeing a prison where the inmates have freedoms like it's a summer camp, with all this time alone and away from guards so they can fist each other in the chapel and so on. I think the weakest character isn't Biggs, but the heroin-fiend dyke from American Pie. Nevertheless, it's pretty good TV if you don't take it seriously. I loved the Rosa storyline.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Finished Season 2 a couple of weeks ago and was a little disappointed. Still better than so much stuff on television these days but still a step back from the first season. I have hope for the next year since the way the season ended the two weakest links in the whole damn thing, Vee and Larry, at least seem to be wrapped up to some extent.

I get the idea behind following Larry, grounding the idea that life outside the prison goes on, but periodic visits to see that Larry is still a whiny pussy over and over again were momentum killers every episode. And the drawn out drama with the best friend whose husband is kind enough to plot device himself out of the way was a snoozer. I almost feel like the could have salvaged that storyline if they had just confined it to one episode, likely the furlough one. Use some flashbacks to tell the story of how it happened leading up to Piper finding out. Essentially structuring the episode away from the prison like the other episodes. Instead it was a regularly scheduled trip to shit town that derailed the show for 5-10 minutes at a time.

And then Vee. As someone up above said she never seemed to be an actual character so much as a hired gun brought in to stir up drama. For a show that does such a good job of giving texture to even the most background of characters they built the entire second half of the season around someone that just felt flat and cartoony. Really what it felt like to me was that they sat down with a list of things they wanted to accomplish with other characters (Red, Tasty, Pousey, etc.) and cooked up a character to make those happen rather than create her on her own merits.

I agree with the 4.5 stars first season stepping back to a 3 and a quarter quality assessment.

baseline bum
08-19-2014, 03:10 PM
I thought Vee was an important addition showing how Taystee and Chapman have so much in common, being controlled by basically pimps because they both had shit for self-esteem.

DJR210
03-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Just started watching season 1..not too bad for a show about a bunch of prison lesbians.

:lol within 5 minutes of episode 1, the main star has already shown her tits and ass and most of her twat..Nice way to get my attention :tu

cd021
03-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Surprised by how popular the show is season was was a 3 of 5, season 2 was a 3.5 out of 5 i.m.o

The last episode of season 2 was brutal. It was like 30 minutes of scenes that should have been deleted where kept. Should have been like 50 minutes long.

DMC
03-04-2015, 06:58 PM
I watched the 1st season, FWDing through the chit chat bullshit and lesbian looks. Started watching season 2 but like all renews, they just rehash the old. These series all resurrect people who you were done with last season because the writers have nothing. It seems to happen on every series that goes more than one season.

Darth_Pelican
04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Season 3 trailer released

watch?v=njy0dFFlpAc

FuzzyLumpkins
04-09-2015, 04:11 PM
That trailer reminds me of. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocv5WdBmSok

DJR210
04-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Loved the ending of season 2.. Vee getting offed was one of the most satisfying moments in a series IMO

DJR210
04-10-2015, 05:06 PM
I'd love to fuck this chubby bitch.. skull fuck the shit out of her tbh

http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DASCHA-POLANCO-at-2015-Screen-Actor-Guild-Awards-in-Los-Angeles-7.jpg

bigzak25
04-11-2015, 07:44 PM
I watched the first season a year ago or so, then it turned into a very boring show for lesbians...

oh crap
06-12-2015, 05:00 PM
i'll be digging in this weekend

DJR210
06-12-2015, 05:07 PM

Same.

DJR210
06-12-2015, 05:10 PM

baseline bum
06-12-2015, 08:19 PM

I hope Chapman and Donna from 70s Show clamsmack again.

cd021
06-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Probably watch the 3rd season but don't have high hopes. Show is about as overrated as it gets. Interesting characters and some laughably bad acting (The chick from that 70's show and the girl who used to run track are just awful).

Daredevil & Bloodlines are already better shows.

oh crap
06-14-2015, 02:07 AM
I don't know. Chapman and the 70s bitch didn't take long to smack clams again but i'm feeling like the show has lost some steam. Maybe i'm too early in it, only 3 eps in but i'm kind of losing interest. And fast. Does it get better?

Reck
07-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Season 3 is trash.

This show already is on borrowed time imo.

Boring ass recycled story lines from the first 2 seasons.

DJR210
07-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Yeah, Season 3 was pretty weak. Hinted on a couple of good ideas, but seemed more like a stop gap for the next season.

baseline bum
07-16-2015, 12:07 PM
I got bored after the first two episodes of season 3, and haven't watched any more of it.

Strange Love
07-17-2015, 12:41 AM
I watched the first season a year ago or so, then it turned into a very boring show for lesbians...

Season 3 is pretty much that tenfold.

This show lacks creativity and smarts.

Basically a show about lesbians with a side of pity party. No substance at all.

I know prison is prison and you gotta do what you gotta do but all the main characters here are fucking lesbians and every cops are rapists. :lol

oh crap
07-10-2016, 06:55 PM
new season is much better than the last

DJR210
07-10-2016, 07:43 PM
The ending of the final episode was the least satisfying of all 4 seasons

Spurminator
07-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Yeah the end was bullshit. Good season though.

baseline bum
07-10-2016, 08:29 PM
They actually made a Season 4 of this bullshit? I can't get into this show any more. It's so stupid how much alone time these prison bitches get with no guard anywhere in sight. Since when did federal prison start going on the honor system?

leemajors
07-10-2016, 09:53 PM
They actually made a Season 4 of this bullshit? I can't get into this show any more. It's so stupid how much alone time these prison bitches get with no guard anywhere in sight. Since when did federal prison start going on the honor system?

seems like a pattern for Jenji Kohan. Weeds got stupid as fuck after a few seasons

Spurminator
07-10-2016, 09:56 PM
You take some bad with the good. There are probably some liberties taken with the day to day prison life, but I like how they've expanded the story to cover the bureaucracy and prison-for-profit stuff.

oh crap
07-10-2016, 10:23 PM
anyone check out Wentworth on Netflix? pretty decent, maybe even better than OITNB overall

oh crap
07-10-2016, 10:24 PM
seems like a pattern for Jenji Kohan. Weeds got stupid as fuck after a few seasons

yup. was downright sad the last few seasons.

baseline bum
07-10-2016, 10:36 PM
You take some bad with the good. There are probably some liberties taken with the day to day prison life, but I like how they've expanded the story to cover the bureaucracy and prison-for-profit stuff.

The whole Red story from Season 1 seems ridiculous. Why would a prisoner be given so much power to wield over the rest of inmates like Red was, running the kitchen? A prison kitchen just serves premade food anyways like a high school cafeteria, so they just need a couple of idiots to put the stuff in the oven and take it out.

Spurminator
07-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Some of the character arcs make no sense. Characters who were completely terrible people turn into sympathetic protagonists within episodes.

Pensatucky was a sociopathic near-murderer in season one and now she's a delicate "aw shucks" flower.