PDA

View Full Version : amnesty clause

WalterBenitez
07-17-2005, 06:06 PM
I was reading that MAVs is considering to cut Finley under the new CBA amnesty clause.

I have a couple of questions?

1) Do you know if there's another team that will use that clause... like NY?

2) I read that this clause will work in this way:

a) A Club said ... this player is cut,
b) The player will be free to sign a new deal,
c) The player will get his money, if so ... what is the economical advantage for the franchise??

exstatic
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
if so ... what is the economical advantage for the franchise??

They don't have to pay the luxury tax on his salary, and that is equal, dollar for dollar, to his salary. They'll save 50%. It's also a one time good deal, this year, for teams over the tax threshhold.

Oh, and rumor has it that NY wants to dump Allen Houston.

WalterBenitez
07-17-2005, 06:37 PM
I see, is there any other team cutting players??? ... btw Finley will be a good option for many teams.

procedius
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Yeah New York will probibly cut Houston, Los Angeles will cut Grant, Portland may cut Van Exel if he reups, and I heard Utah may cut Okur.

Guru of Nothing
07-17-2005, 07:06 PM
and I heard Utah may cut Okur.

Okey dokey.

exstatic
07-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Okur? Are they even over the tax threshhold? I would have thought Boozer.

WalterBenitez
07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Wow, those names will be able on the market by early august???

Who of you think that Spurs will be shopping? :angel

JsnSA
07-17-2005, 07:44 PM
I have a feeling the suns will get Finley.

He will get to play with Nash again...and the Suns will need to make up for trading Quentin away and then not being able or willing to match Atlanta's bid for Joe Johnson.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Okur? Are they even over the tax threshhold?

No, they have only about $47M in committed salary.

GoSpurs21
07-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I was reading that MAVs is considering to cut Finley under the new CBA amnesty clause.

I have a couple of questions?

1) Do you know if there's another team that will use that clause... like NY?

2) I read that this clause will work in this way:

a) A Club said ... this player is cut,
b) The player will be free to sign a new deal,
c) The player will get his money, if so ... what is the economical advantage for the franchise??what you forgot to mention is the player cut is not allowed to sign with the team that cut him for the length of the contract he is currently being cut from (but still getting paid for the length of the contract).

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2005, 09:41 PM
THe rumored suspects are:

Finley
Houston
Van Exel
Jalen Rose

exstatic
07-17-2005, 09:50 PM
...and Brian Grant. I'll bet there will be others, too.

clubalien
07-17-2005, 09:53 PM
spurs spent some of their MLE on oberto and still have LLE and vet mins but not having the full MLE to offer I don't think they will be able to play the players cut and pick up anyhone liek finely or houston

exstatic
07-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Houston has terrible knees, so I wouldn't want him anyway. As for the others, it would depend on how greedy they are. You do understand that they will still receive their FULL pay from their old teams, don't you? That makes it easier to latch on to a contender for less.

clubalien
07-17-2005, 10:02 PM
yes they do get their old pay , and there was that one player that got agent screwed that came to spurs, but overall some other teams would probaly still throw the MLE at a player like finely or any other top teir cut

Duncanoypi
07-18-2005, 12:14 AM
how about Webber?...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Damn I always forget Brian Grant, I keep forgetting he even plays these days :lol

I'd love to see Finley come down, if nothing else then for knowing that we'd never lose to _allas again as long as he was on the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 12:27 AM
There's rumors that the Friday date might be extended another week or so.

WalterBenitez
07-18-2005, 10:24 AM
what you forgot to mention is the player cut is not allowed to sign with the team that cut him for the length of the contract he is currently being cut from (but still getting paid for the length of the contract).

SO those players, will be earning the old contract + new one (the one he sign with his new team) !!!?? :oops

T Park
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
There's rumors that the Friday date might be extended another week or so.

problems in getting the CBA signed?

WalterBenitez
07-18-2005, 10:37 AM
problems in getting the CBA signed?

Please answer:

a) There's no pens to sign the CBA. :spin

b) Players changed their mind again. :depressed

c) NBA owners must be consulted before signature. :angel

d) It is really hard to write whatever they agreed before. :oops

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
It's no big deal, it was expected that it might run a few days late .. just the lawyers getting all the details finalized. It might be ready Friday, or maybe not for another week or so.

spurjur
07-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Is there a good chance that Toronto will cut Jalen Rose?

clubalien
07-18-2005, 12:03 PM
men i wish the NEW CBA said you coudl cut coaches so we could cut pop and get rid of his HUGE contract

WalterBenitez
07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
men i wish the NEW CBA said you coudl cut coaches so we could cut pop and get rid of his HUGE contract

Did I miss anything??? :oops

pache100
07-18-2005, 01:04 PM

The Spurs would never do that (at least not in this decade) because it would be one of the stupidest things of the century.

Are you for real?

Dos
07-18-2005, 02:11 PM
F*** Jalen Rose no way would I like to seem as a spur, bruce would kick his ass after practice... !

Mark in Austin
07-18-2005, 02:14 PM

effing noobs. Aside from maybe Big Chief Triangle, there isn't a better coach out the for the Spurs.

clubalien
07-18-2005, 03:39 PM
sean elliot would be a great coach you do release pop isn't god right
there were coaches before pop and when pop dies who will coach the time i guess we wouldn;t have a coach since it should be run by the great leader pop

pache100
07-18-2005, 03:42 PM
there were coaches before pop and when pop dies who will coach the time i guess we wouldn;t have a coach since it should be run by the great leader pop

Never said he was "God"...said he was "good". As long as Pop is alive, he will probably be the best coach for the Spurs. There may come a time when I change my mind about that, but I can't see it in the near future.

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Why should we change POP?? no reason at all!

50 cent
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
How old are you? There is no way you can be older than 12 with your moronic posts and incoherent babbling. :lol

sickdsm
07-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Vbookie on how long Pop would last as a FA?

I give it under 5 minutes.

kskonn
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Vbookie on how long Pop would last as a FA?

I give it under 5 minutes.

Yea, maybe 5 min....

texasqb2
07-19-2005, 03:30 PM
If I am understanding this right, I think we could grab Finley. I think his contract calls for him to make 15 million next year. If the suns offered the whole MLE and we offered half of our MLE, he'd have to choose from 17-18 million to play for the spurs compared to 20 million for the suns, thats ridiculous, so I think we could actually sign Finley or Houston to the minimum and they'd still be our highest paid players.

texasqb2
07-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I also dont like this rule, if a player is unhappy and making big bucks, he could just not try at all, get cut, stay home, and make a crapload. But i love the rule if we end up with another good player.

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I also dont like this rule, if a player is unhappy and making big bucks, he could just not try at all, get cut, stay home, and make a crapload. But i love the rule if we end up with another good player.

As someone posted the club avoid the luxury tax if the team is over the cap, but player got cut is in very good position, I agreed with that.