PDA

View Full Version : So what's the Spurs next move????????

tbear280
07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Now that Tiago is locked up, what's the next move they need to make? We can't wait on Manu, does he need to lay his cards on the table so we can move on? Does this mean the Greg Oden rumor is over now that we have 4 bigs?

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2013, 06:19 PM
They'll sit back and think "mission accomplished" Manu will get a majority of the remaining money, probably 6M for 2 years. and then offer some guy an MLE.

tbear280
07-02-2013, 06:20 PM
What guy though? I think we need a SG, but who?

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2013, 06:21 PM
They'll sit back and think "mission accomplished" Manu will get a majority of the remaining money, probably 6M for 2 years. and then offer some guy an MLE.No championship for sure next year if your theory pans out. I guarantee it. Mark my words.

Slutter McGee
07-02-2013, 06:22 PM
They'll sit back and think "mission accomplished" Manu will get a majority of the remaining money, probably 6M for 2 years. and then offer some guy an MLE.

Why would it be mission accomplished if you lock up manu for 2 years and 6 million. Plenty of cap space left.

Slutter McGee

TheGoldStandard
What guy though? I think we need a SG, but who?
shit probably gary neal. or some scrub who couldn't get signed..

tbear280
Does this mean AK 47 is officially out of the picture?

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Why would it be mission accomplished if you lock up manu for 2 years and 6 million. Plenty of cap space left.

Slutter McGee

I meant as in 12 Million over the 2 years.. just typed it wrong.. He'll get a big chunk of the remaining money out of loyalty

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Does this mean AK 47 is officially out of the picture?

Probably. I mean they value Bonner at 4M and Tiago at 36/4years so Manu will probably get the rest.

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Does this mean AK 47 is officially out of the picture?Yup, unless Manu retires or takes the veteran's minimum. Not gonna happen according to my sources called "The Homers."

elmanutres
well we are off to a shitty start overpaying vagina i mean tiago, our next move might not look good

ducks
strip the sigificult other and have a goold time celebrating

ducks
07-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Here's why I think AK47 is still in play: If you're the Spurs and Portland is reportedly offering Splitter a $36M over 4-year deal, why wouldn't you just call their bluff and then match if the Blazers actually follow through?

The most logically reason why the Spurs wouldn't wait out Splitter's possible offer from the Blazers is to avoid Portland frontloading the deal ... which could then hurt San Antonio's chances of squeezing in another big salary this summer.

The timing of Splitter's deal tells me the Spurs are going to do more than just stand pat. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to be in a rush.

Shifty
07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I was creating a post like this and thought I should check before submitting...

Most people said Manu's contract was the first thing to do because of his cap hold. Then Tiago's contract would dictate what the Spurs could do. With Tiago's deal ready, I believe Manu is coming back cheaper than most people think. Manu is a freakish competitor and probably is really pissed at the lost opportunity so he could be willing to sacrifice his last contract for another chance at winning it all. Neal is gone. Someone who is misses out on better players is going to offer more than what the Spurs can afford. As for outside FA if the Spurs can get a special player with whatever is left after Manu's contract they will go for it even if it means amnestying Bonner. By special I mean someone really worth 5M+.

spurraider21
07-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Probably. I mean they value Bonner at 4M and Tiago at 36/4years so Manu will probably get the rest.

thats what Tiago's market value was, not what "the spurs valued him at." Pop trusted Diaw more than Splitter down the stretch. By that logic, Splitter is "worth" around 4 million. Problem is, when you have a decently talented center on the good side of 30, they go for a high price. Deandre Jordan, Javale McGee are getting over 10 mil per year. Biedrins signed for 6 years 54 million. Asik who was a bench player (essentially Splitter before this past season) got 3 years 25 million. It's simply the going rate for centers. I still think they can make a push for Kirilenko, but its about his willingness to play from the bench, unless the Spurs just did something retarded and gave Splitter that contract to play off the bench.

T Park
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
I'd say they'll see if they can get AK47. If it takes amnestying Bonner to get him they will do it.

rascal
07-02-2013, 06:32 PM
No championship for sure next year if your theory pans out. I guarantee it. Mark my words.

The spurs keep thinking Duncan can carry the frontline with little help every year.

tbear280
07-02-2013, 06:32 PM
That's a damn good answer timvp! Who else do you think they could go after, with what's left money & FA wise?

spursince#99
07-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Jarrett Jack

tbear280
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
He's kinda old, plus somebody is gonna throw a lot of $ at him that he's not worth. He had his 14:59 minutes of fame in that SA /Golden State series.

Poolboy5623
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Manu and ak run the second unit, and finish some games, in the reg season...not sure about the playoffs? But really I can't see signing kirelinko, if it meant losing splitter? I would think they could still sign Manu and 47, both?

rascal
The Spurs will add another player or two to the roster but whoever they get won't be good enough to make any type of big impact.
It is pretty much what they do almost every year. Who was the big addition last year?

DesignatedT
Either re-sign or renounce the rights to Manu.

Sean Cagney
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM
The spurs keep thinking Duncan can carry the frontline with little help every year.
Thats a wrong move..... He has a few more titles if they did not go that route.

You know POP though, he will say they were within a title this year so why break things up? That will be his reasoning.
He's kinda old, plus somebody is gonna throw a lot of $ at him that he's not worth. He had his 14:59 minutes of fame in that SA /Golden State series.

He had a better first round!

rascal
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Manu and ak run the second unit, and finish some games, in the reg season...not sure about the playoffs? But really I can't see signing kirelinko, if it meant losing splitter? I would think they could still sign Manu and 47, both?

Don't want an injury prone over 30 white player in AK47. Don't want the team to go more white.

tbear280
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, fuck whit people! Lmfao

Poolboy5623
07-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Don't want an injury prone over 30 white player in AK47. Don't want the team to go more white.

I don't know how many other options the spurs are going to have...Tmac? Lol .. no one wants to play for the spurs..money to spend and as close as one gets to just winning a 5th. If they can't attract anyone this summer, when will there ever be hope to land a fa?

Spurs9
07-02-2013, 06:41 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1103/nba.poll.fashion/images/zaza-pachulia.jpg

Poolboy5623
07-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Not positive I even know who that is^ zaza or Vladimir?

ducks
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM

yeah black will make them better

rascal
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I don't know how many other options the spurs are going to have...Tmac? Lol .. no one wants to play for the spurs..money to spend and as close as one gets to just winning a 5th. If they can't attract anyone this summer, when will there ever be hope to land a fa?

They should have shopped Tiago in a sign and trade deal to get him off the team. The biggest series of the year the finals and he stunk it up, so the Spurs go into the fetal position and give Tiago a big payday. Bad conservative Spurs typical move. Malik Rose, Rasho, RJ type of deal.

rascal
07-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Make them more athletic, not some over 30 white injury prone player.

rascal
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM

You build a team full of white players you will never win. The NBA is a black man's game. The top players with the exception of a few are black.

cjw
07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Based on StoryTellerContracts, given the fact that the first rounder is playing overseas (I'm not including any rookie minimum cap holds in these numbers as I'm assuming we get to 12 players), they were at $41,666,028 without Splitter.

Impact of Splitter signing:
$50,666,028 = with Splitter assuming a flat contract over the 4 years / $36 million
$49,714,458 = with Splitter assuming 7.5% annual increases mean first year is $8,048,430

If Bonner is amnestied:
$45,769,458 to $46,721,028 committed

That would leave:
$7,833,972 to $8,785,542 of cap room with Bonner (11 players)
$11,778,972 to $12,730,052 of cap room without Bonner (10 players)

If we go the no-Bonner route, I think that's plenty of cap room for Manu ($4 million) plus AK47 ($7 million), leaving the mid-level for another shooter to replace Neal. Should they bring Neal back (gave him a qualifying offer), they may have to be more creative. Bringing back Bonner means it's almost certain that AK47 would have to fit into the MLE. Seems like it comes down to a question of whether Bonner or Unknown Shooter X will be more valuable to the team. Given AK47 can guard guys in the post at least as well as Bonner - and we all know Bonner was serviceable last year - they will add wing depth instead. Reddick is off the table, so that's probably where the Monta Ellis / J.R. Smith rumors are coming from.

marinoman
07-02-2013, 06:53 PM
i hope we get zaza, i like saying zaza

zaza

poop
07-02-2013, 07:34 PM
You build a team full of white players you will never win. The NBA is a black man's game. The top players with the exception of a few are black.

epic truth. look at utah all last decade

spursince#99
07-02-2013, 07:35 PM

This is so true. They're just naturally stronger, tougher, and more athletic.

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2013, 07:40 PM
I was creating a post like this and thought I should check before submitting...

Most people said Manu's contract was the first thing to do because of his cap hold. Then Tiago's contract would dictate what the Spurs could do. With Tiago's deal ready, I believe Manu is coming back cheaper than most people think. Manu is a freakish competitor and probably is really pissed at the lost opportunity so he could be willing to sacrifice his last contract for another chance at winning it all. Neal is gone. Someone who is misses out on better players is going to offer more than what the Spurs can afford. As for outside FA if the Spurs can get a special player with whatever is left after Manu's contract they will go for it even if it means amnestying Bonner. By special I mean someone really worth 5M+.I agree but why not go after the FA's first, sign them, and then offer whatever $$$ remains to Manu? I mean I'm pretty sure that Manu is loyal enough and wants to win that he'll be willing to make any sacrifice to put the Spurs in the best position possible. Wishful thinking on my part but I have faith in Manu.

Shifty
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree but why not go after the FA's first, sign them, and then offer whatever $$$ remains to Manu? I mean I'm pretty sure that Manu is loyal enough and wants to win that he'll be willing to make any sacrifice to put the Spurs in the best position possible. Wishful thinking on my part but I have faith in Manu.

According to what I have been reading they can't sign someone else first. Manu's cap hold is 19M+ and puts them well above the cap now that Splitter is on board for 9M. They have to settle Manu's contract first and work from there. Right now, Manu's cap hold has them almost at 70M. If he signs for 5M then they would be a couple of millions below the expected cap (58.5M) and get rid of Neal and Bonner to get the exact number they can offer below the cap or they can retain both and use the exceptions. You can't use (most of) the exceptions until you get rid of the holds and are above the cap.

HemisfairArena
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm the most athletic employee at my job. Thats all I know....and I'm white. I know you want to biggie size your order before you do and have it already punched into the register before you even start proceeding to the window from the order board.

BackHome
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I meant as in 12 Million over the 2 years.. just typed it wrong.. He'll get a big chunk of the remaining money out of loyalty

He got the loyalty check last year for 14 mill no more of that needs to be based on production...5 mill

ducks
07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Make them more athletic, not some over 30 white injury prone player.

color of skin does not

TheGoldStandard
He got the loyalty check last year for 14 mill no more of that needs to be based on production...5 mill

Spurs will value him more than there other guys outside of Tony and Tim so I don't think its out of the question the Spurs will throw a stupid number at him hoping with his summer off he'll get healthy and get mentally focused.

ducks
epic truth. look at utah all last decade

dude jazz got to finals and ran into mj enough said

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2013, 07:52 PM

Carl Malone was the whitest black guy they could have ever found.

HemisfairArena
07-02-2013, 08:00 PM
So are we saying blacks are the most athletic and whites the best coaches? Best players are black over time...best coaches are white over time. You got MJ, Magic, Kareem, Russell, and Wilt as players....Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, Gregg Popovich, Pat Riley, and Chuck Daly as coaches.

weebo
07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
re-sign Manu...find a back up SF...wait and see what the Summer League has to offer

poop
07-02-2013, 08:08 PM

that was in the 90's tard..

Rito3d30
07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
re-sign Manu ASAP?
Although I got a feeling we will have the same roster as the 12/13 season (- Blair)
:(

Shifty
07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Back to topic?

TheGoldStandard
re-sign Manu ASAP?
Although I got a feeling we will have the same roster as the 12/13 season (- Blair)
:(

1 rebound, 1 FT per par

tesseractive
I'm the most athletic employee at my job. Thats all I know....and I'm white. I know you want to biggie size your order before you do and have it already punched into the register before you even start proceeding to the window from the order board.
Pretty soon you'll be displaced by guys with a bigger wingspan so they can fill the order while standing at the register. And maybe with a killer standing reach so you can add a second deck of fry vats above the first one. But hey, you've had a great run while it lasted.

tesseractive
07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Carl Malone was the whitest black guy they could have ever found.

Of course, Mr. Dungeons-and-Dragons-playing Duncan isn't exactly a great leap in the other direction either.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Of course, Mr. Dungeons-and-Dragons-playing Duncan isn't exactly a great leap in the other direction either.

This is also very true.

dbestpro
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Time to sign Manu followed by Neal. Maybe after that we can extend Bonner and see if Blair wants to give it another go.

Chomag
07-02-2013, 09:52 PM
If Spurs do stay pat they are going to be seriously lacking a very needed consistent 6th man. Manu just isn't that guy anymore and those that think he is have some very thick glasses on. Sadly spurs players are not eternal.

slick'81
07-02-2013, 09:55 PM
If Spurs do stay pat they are going to be seriously lacking a very needed consistent 6th man. Manu just isn't that guy anymore and those that think he is have some very thick glasses on. Sadly spurs players are not eternal.

No doubt spurs r now set 1-5. now bolster that sg/sf position off the benche especially if ur set with mills,nando and Joseph @pg

EIC
07-02-2013, 10:17 PM
"So what's the Spurs next move?"

Continue to give soft, sloppy white guys entirely too much money (see Manu, Bonner, Splitter).

Sean Cagney
07-02-2013, 10:22 PM
They should have shopped Tiago in a sign and trade deal to get him off the team. The biggest series of the year the finals and he stunk it up, so the Spurs go into the fetal position and give Tiago a big payday. Bad conservative Spurs typical move. Malik Rose, Rasho, RJ type of deal.

He is not the only one who shriveled up in the finals, some in game 6 and 7 just damn totally dissapeared and we were still close to winning. If he or just one other steps up we are champs! But only Leonard and TD showed up those two games.

ace3g
07-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Unless other trades occur: I'd be happy with signing AK47, Anthony Morrow, and Joe Ingles (not including FA currently on our roster that could/should stay). Basically replacements for any combination of Blair, Neal, and Bonner.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8972/52th.png

spurraider21
07-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Linko would be a godsend. If we theoretically landed him and resigned Manu, would we have room for morrow? a small piece of mle or is he a vets min guy at this point?

ace3g
07-02-2013, 10:32 PM
^ Not sure, still want to know what type of contract Neal will get in this market; just think Morrow would be cheaper option and Pop wouldn't mistake him for a PG and is taller.

Splits
07-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Jarrett Jack

coyotes_geek
07-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Just my $0.02, but here's how I think the decision tree for the Spurs is setting up. First off, the Spurs don't have to amnesty Bonner to be able to offer a FA the capspace that amnestying Bonner would create. So, the Spurs are chasing guys under the assumption that they'll amnesty Bonner and be able squeeze Manu and a >MLE contract under the cap. If they can find a FA who worth that >MLE contract and is willing to take it, be it AK/Jack/whoever, they'll amnesty Bonner, sign Manu, sign the >MLE FA capspace and follow that up by bringing back Neal using the room exception. If they can't get a commitment from a FA who they think is worth whatever >MLE contract they can come up with, they'll keep Bonner, stay over the cap and then start offering their MLE around.

What Manu's contract ends up looking like depends on which of the two scenarios plays out. If the Spurs have to go the over the cap MLE route, they'll probably just give Manu a 2yr deal at whatever amount they agree to. If the Spurs go the cap space route, expect the Spurs to willingly trade more years and more total money over the life of the contract in return for a lower first year salary which creates more cap space to give to the >MLE FA. Just as a hypothetical, if Manu says he wants to play 2 more years and $12 mil for those two years, and giving him a 3yr deal for $13 mil gets the Spurs an extra $2 mil of capspace this year, I do that in a heartbeat.

tbear280
07-03-2013, 04:36 AM
They should have shopped Tiago in a sign and trade deal to get him off the team. The biggest series of the year the finals and he stunk it up, so the Spurs go into the fetal position and give Tiago a big payday. Bad conservative Spurs typical move. Malik Rose, Rasho, RJ type of deal. Dont forget Jaren Jackson !

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Spurs' next move? Consult SpursTalk and sign Greg Oden to an eleventy billion dollar contract.

Russ
07-03-2013, 08:32 AM
The Spurs "Big Three" this offseason was Splitter, Manu and Neal.

The Spurs for sure wanted two of them back -- Splitter and Manu. Neal's status probably depends upon who else may be available.

The only one the Spurs feared might leave was Splitter. Therefore, get him taken care of early and then you can clearly evaluate the other options.

The Spurs have an "understanding" with Manu that will allow the terms of his return to be dictated by what else they might do during the FA season. He's in Argentina and neither side is sweating it. So expect the terms of his deal to be announced last.

So far, things are going according to plan.

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 08:41 AM

The Spurs for sure wanted two of them back -- Splitter and Manu. Neal's status probably depends upon who else may be available.

The only one the Spurs feared might leave was Splitter. Therefore, get him taken care of early and then you can clearly evaluate the other options.

The Spurs have an "understanding" with Manu that will allow the terms of his return to be dictated by what else they might do during the FA season. He's in Argentina and neither side is sweating it. So expect the terms of his deal to be announced last.

So far, things are going according to plan.I hate to agree but you're right.

EIC
07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Spurs' next move? Consult SpursTalk and sign Greg Oden to an eleventy billion dollar contract.

Marcin Gortat, tbh.

Spurs could have replaced Splitter with Gortat, Bonner with AK47, Blair with Oden, and Manu with a credible backup point guard. Would have dominated the West next year and had a great chance at a fifth ring for Timmy AND put ourselves in decent shape for the post-Duncan era, especially if Oden managed to stay healthy. Now we'll do neither.

elec99
07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
They gotta figure out who their backup 3 and 1 is gonna be.
We have so many backup 1s but none can seem to hold serve when tony is resting.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-03-2013, 11:53 AM

So far, things are going according to plan.

Sound about right. Anyone expecting the Spurs to make a move at a major FA acquisition or huge trade will be disappointed. Until Timmy's wheels fall off you're going to see tweaks, not overhauls.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Marcin Gortat, tbh.

Spurs could have replaced Splitter with Gortat, Bonner with AK47, Blair with Oden, and Manu with a credible backup point guard. Would have dominated the West next year and had a great chance at a fifth ring for Timmy AND put ourselves in decent shape for the post-Duncan era, especially if Oden managed to stay healthy. Now we'll do neither.You'll need to show your work here.

As it is, the next move is to try to talk someone into taking an MLE discount.

therealtruth
07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
How about some internal improvement. Get Kawhi and DG handling the ball more. Starting running more offense out of Splitter on the block.