PDA

View Full Version : Spurs reportedly interested in Matt Barnes & Chauncey Billups

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-03-2013, 01:02 AM

Vic Petro
07-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Hell no on Billups. Beyond washed up. I'm fine with Barnes as an emergency fallback option only.

TheGoldStandard
07-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Just grasping at straws now.

RD2191
07-03-2013, 01:06 AM
:wakeup

Werdsniper2
07-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Hell no on Billups. Beyond washed up. I'm fine with Barnes as an emergency fallback option only.

Agreed. While I don't deny his presence in the locker room...please...we don't need to get any older. Barnes is whatever...

Duncanonu
07-03-2013, 01:07 AM

My sentiments exactly

BatManu20
07-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Matt Barnes, as much as I don't like the guy, would be a solid pickup tbh. Much cheaper option than AK47 at the backup SF position. He's not my first choice, but I wouldn't turn him away if it came down to him being our only option. He's a solid defender and can shoot the 3 (sometimes).

I know Billups will get a lot of hate in here, but IF he's healthy, I'd prefer him backing Tony in big playoff games than Cojo at this point. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and we either sit him at the end of the bench with Patty or just release him. At the vet minimum, it's worth a look tbh.

blkroadrunners
07-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Spurs waive Jackson, yet they want Matt Barnes now? Umm, ok..

Sean Cagney
07-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Just grasping at straws now.

YEP, blah blah blah.. Spurs interested in, everyday a new name here. Offseason has begun.

MI21
07-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Matt Barnes would be a fine backup at SF.

Kidd K
07-03-2013, 01:14 AM
No to Billups. Our backcourt (other than Parker/Green) needs to get younger, not even more old and washed up.

Barnes, I dunno. I feel like he's overrated because of playing in LA and getting all that national air time.

Marrow
07-03-2013, 01:19 AM
I don't believe you two have met

Spurs...This is every possible FA
Every possible FA...This is the Spurs

BatManu20
07-03-2013, 01:21 AM
I don't believe you two have met

Spurs...This is every possible FA
Every possible FA...This is the Spurs

:lol

KaiRMD1
07-03-2013, 01:22 AM
No on Bilups, Barnes is a tough one and I guess would be okay but no on Bilups, he's pretty much washed up.

Nathan89
Only AK is going to get me excited for next season.

Jimmy Cobaine
Lol at the Celtics tanking for Duncan and ending up with Billups

Man In Black
07-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Subterfuge. Spurs don't really publicize what they are doing.

siraulo23
07-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Barnes I don't mind as a backup sf, but not as first choice

BatManu20
07-03-2013, 01:31 AM
According to Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports, Los Angeles Clippers free agents Chauncey Billups and Matt Barnes are two players the San Antonio Spurs are interested in (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-free-agent-buzz--tony-allen-draws-interest-from-grizzlies--pacers--bucks--knicks-234954522.html).

Billups, 36, has been receiving interest in free agency from the Cleveland Cavaliers, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings, Brooklyn Nets and Minnesota Timberwolves, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

Barnes, 33, has also received interest from Dallas, Brooklyn, San Antonio, the Los Angeles Lakers and Atlanta Hawks, the source said.

Spears writes that with the moves the Clippers made on Tuesday - trading Caron Butler and Eric Bledsoe and also signing Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick – means both Billups and Barnes may look to play elsewhere next season.

For Billups, Redick is expected to start at shooting guard while they still have the dynamic scorer Jamal Crawford on the bench and Willie Green. Spears writes with the retirement of Grant Hill, Barnes could still get playing time backing up Dudley.

In 22 regular season games with the Clippers, Billups averaged 8.4 points and 2.2 assists per game while shooting 40% from the field and 37% from three. Billups also averaged 2.2 free throw attempts per game.

It’s no secret the Spurs are looking for another player who can penetrate a defense and kick out to shooters with Manu Ginobili (if he re-signs) aging, Kawhi Leonard beginning to run plays next season, and with Tony Parker needing a backup who can take a load off all the responsibility he has to carry. Though if the Spurs signed Billups, he’d be the 5th point guard on roster.

As for whether or not the Spurs can afford Billups, he’s coming off a season where he made $4 million dollars. Earlier Tuesday, the Spurs received a verbal agreement from Tiago Splitter on a 4-year $36 million dollar deal (http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/july/spurs-splitter-moving-towards-deal.html). The Spurs still need to try to re-sign Ginobili and they’ve already extended a qualifying offer to restricted free agent Gary Neal.

In 80 regular season games with the Clippers, Barnes averaged 10.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, shot 46% from the field and 36% from three. Barnes is coming off a season where he earned nearly $1.3 million.

It’s no secret the Spurs are looking for a backup forward for Leonard as they’ve already been linked to free agent Andrei Kirilenko.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/july/report-spurs-interested-in-clippers-billups-and-barnes.html

stephen jackson
07-03-2013, 01:33 AM
fuck barnes

TheGoldStandard
07-03-2013, 01:35 AM
fuck barnes

All of Stephen Jacksons old buddies keep getting rumored as possible Spurs FA's. Ellis, Barnes. Which other 2007 GSW are we going to be rumored with

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-03-2013, 01:36 AM
Fuck no

stephen jackson
07-03-2013, 01:39 AM
All of Stephen Jacksons old buddies keep getting rumored as possible Spurs FA's. Ellis, Barnes. Which other 2007 GSW are we going to be rumored with

jrich?

Holden_Caulfield
07-03-2013, 01:41 AM

biedrins :lol

Boomersgold
07-03-2013, 02:08 AM
Barnes would bring that toughness that we lost when Jackson left the team. He's a nice guy off court, but on the court, he's the dude that'll backup any of his team mates should they be involved in a fight.

lefty
07-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Venti Quattro is gonna pop in this thread if we sign Barnes

Doe
07-03-2013, 02:49 AM
I posted this in the other thread, but hasn't Barnes rejected the Spurs courtships in the past? And isn't he also only willing to play for teams in or very near California? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else..

StoneBuddha
07-03-2013, 02:53 AM
I posted this in the other thread, but hasn't Barnes rejected the Spurs courtships in the past? And isn't he also only willing to play for teams in or very near California? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else..

Odom.. (make that beaches)

Billups is so done...

timtonymanu
07-03-2013, 02:55 AM
Hell no to Billups. He's pretty much done but will demand a starting role.

Barnes wouldnt be a bad pickup but he's probably gonna turn down the Spurs.

Darkwaters
07-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Wasn't Barnes getting interest from the Lakers again?

Budkin
07-03-2013, 03:09 AM
No no

ChumpDumper
07-03-2013, 03:24 AM
These are exactly the guys you want for cheap.

Barnes is an effective SF who is fine with a bench role.

Billups is a vet on the downside who ultimately won't stand in the way of Joseph.

spurfan just seems to like pooh-poohing players automatically.

slick'81
07-03-2013, 03:26 AM
Barnes maybe billups hell no

iManu
07-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Hell yeah to Barnes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Billups is more washed up than Nasty Nick was when he came here, so please no! on that.

Barnes would be a fine bench SF.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2013, 03:44 AM
A currently washing up vet is what is needed for insurance when grooming a college senior to eventually take the job.

jimbo
07-03-2013, 03:53 AM
I like Billups for the min.

TJ was pretty washed up when he came here and people lauded him as the missing link for the championship.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2013, 03:53 AM
A currently washing up vet is what is needed for insurance when grooming a college senior to eventually take the job.

So bring Billups in as a special assistant coach. I don't want him playing. The more CoJo plays, the better.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2013, 03:54 AM
So bring Billups in as a special assistant coach. I don't want him playing. The more CoJo plays, the better.You don't have an assistant coach as insurance.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2013, 03:55 AM
You don't have an assistant coach as insurance.

I don't see a washed up player as "insurance."

SpursSerb
07-03-2013, 03:56 AM
Instead of Mills,why not.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2013, 03:56 AM
I don't see a washed up player as "insurance."It is a pattern that has been repeated many times before.

Look with your special eyes.

http://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Look+with+your+special+eyes+_b2e3e0687d14e67199ce2 1a824ee2cc0.gif

therealtruth
07-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Billups was pretty much one of the reasons they didn't beat the Grizzlies.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Old ass vets on cheap contracts. The horror. Why the Spurs would never sign such players and win a championship.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 05:14 AM
We need some real ballas, et al.

L.I.T
07-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Billups is precisely what the Spurs needed at points in the Finals. A tenacious vet who can come in, settle a team down, and you can rely on him being a threat in end of quarter and shot clock possessions.

Barnes can bring the nasty. If he was brought in, I'd like to think he'd approximate some of what SJax was supposed to bring off the bench.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 05:19 AM
I could see Billups more than Barnes. Both as a fit and as actually wanting to sign.

I think Barnes would sign if he had few other choices, but of course do you want a player known as he is that nobody wants?

MannyIsGod
07-03-2013, 05:24 AM
This is about the 95038509385093853th time the Spurs have been interested in Barnes. He has ALWAYS turned them down. Why would anyone think this would be different?

L.I.T
07-03-2013, 05:33 AM
Spurs FO has spent the last few years reworking the team and getting much younger. The bitching about the Spurs FO never changing makes zero sense.

Now they have solid young building blocks in place (Kawhi/Green/Splitter/Cojo/possibly Baynes) the Spurs can go after some savvy, cheap, and experienced vets to back up the youth. Reminds me of the mid-2000s.

AFBlue
07-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Wasn't Barnes getting interest from the Lakers again?

Yeah, if he's getting interest from either LA team he ain't coming here. He's a good fit on paper...long, athletic, solid defender and spot-up shooter. He'd also "bring the nasty" and provide depth at a needed position. But, it won't happen

TrainOfThought5
07-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Spurs waive Jackson, yet they want Matt Barnes now? Umm, ok..

and in terms of playoff performance we also kept Ginobili and look like we're about to sign his extension. the crazines must be stopped.

weebo
07-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Next move ...Manu re-signs.

exstatic
07-03-2013, 07:13 AM
No no

This. Those 22 games that Chauncey played were two MORE than he played the year before. He's FUCKING DONE.

I'm not totally opposed to Barnes, I just think it's a waste of time to go after him. Any time he's give a choice, he plays in Cali. He's a left coaster. We could offer him the MLE, and if GS offered him a dollar to wave towels, he'd go there.

exstatic
07-03-2013, 07:15 AM
This is about the 95038509385093853th time the Spurs have been interested in Barnes. He has ALWAYS turned them down. Why would anyone think this would be different?

Yeah. I think they were interested in him like 10 years ago, when he was a nobody.

Baam
07-03-2013, 07:17 AM
This. Those 22 games that Chauncey played were two MORE than he played the year before. He's FUCKING DONE.

I'm not totally opposed to Barnes, I just think it's a waste of time to go after him. Any time he's give a choice, he plays in Cali. He's a left coaster. We could offer him the MLE, and if GS offered him a dollar to wave towels, he'd go there.

Mike Miller is always injured as well...

Chauncey wants to win it all again very badly, if we make the call I bet you he says yes right away, he has my vote.

I heard Andre Miller is also on the market but he's even older, has never been able to shoot the 3 and is paid a lot for two more years...

Baam
07-03-2013, 07:25 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/63/chauncey-billups

Good interview on the right of the screen.

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 07:46 AM
No on Bilups, Barnes is a tough one and I guess would be okay but no on Bilups, he's pretty much washed up.
Odom.. (make that beaches)

Billups is so done...
Hell no to Billups. He's pretty much done but will demand a starting role.
Billups is more washed up than Nasty Nick was when he came here, so please no! on that.

Barnes would be a fine bench SF.You guys bitc* and wine that Chauncy Billups is old and washed up yet you'll want to resign Manu Ginobili? Fuc*ing idiots, fuc*ing homers. I've been saying that Manu is old and washed up yet I get crucified. Can you'll be anymore objective and less stupid?

Agreed. While I don't deny his presence in the locker room...please...we don't need to get any older. Barnes is whatever...At least you gave an objective opinion.

These are exactly the guys you want for cheap.

Barnes is an effective SF who is fine with a bench role.

Billups is a vet on the downside who ultimately won't stand in the way of Joseph.

spurfan just seems to like pooh-poohing players automatically.Thank you sir, well said.

SpursFanInAustin
07-03-2013, 07:46 AM

I'm not totally opposed to Barnes, I just think it's a waste of time to go after himi. Any time he's give a choice, he plays in Cali. He's a left coaster. We could offer him the MLE, and if GS offered him a dollar to wave towels, he'd go there.

Uhhh, that's because Billups tore his achilles in 2012, and came back from the surgery. He had one injury, not multiple nagging injuries.

I would take Billups as my 3rd PG, but only if we don't re-sign Neal. I still want Joseph as my backup though. Billups is still known as Mr. Big Shot and would've been a nice insurance policy this year when the moment was too big for CoJo in the Finals

SenorSpur
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Hell no to Billups. Barnes would be a decent fallback option if the Spurs can't sign AK47.

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
LMAO at all you saying that Chauncy Billups is washed up yet you'll want to sign Manu Ginobili to an $12M contract. Seriously, does Manu pay your bills? Why are you'll so stupid and ignorant?

K-State Spur
07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Billups hasn't been healthy in about 3 years. So I suppose there could be some sentiment that if he can get "right" in the offseason, there might still be a little left in the tank for one more playoff run. I'd rather ride CoJo/Nando - if it fails, see who gets bought out down the line. But if it's for the vet minimum, we could do worse than Billups.

I'm not big on Barnes. His shooting can go for weeks at a time. He had a decent series against MEM in the first round, but he was 16% from 3 in his previous TWENTY-ONE playoff games (43 attempts) coming into last season. He's never been an overly disciplined defender within the team concept, but 6'7 with 6'10 wingspan & great athleticism have covered for it to date. But that showed signs of waning the last 2 years & he'll be 34 next season. He's a hothead, but unlike SJax - has been more willing to accept bench role and the occasional DNPCD.

I hope we sign neither, but I do think it's good for the front office to be looking at multiple options to fill out the roster.

Clipper Nation
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Please take Billups! :lol

PlayNando
07-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Is there a player the Spurs aren't "reportedly" interested in, tbh?

timvp
07-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Yep. This is at least the fourth time the Spurs have gone after him -- if this report is true. Each of the previous three times, he turned the Spurs down to stay in California. He's probably impossible to sign due to geographical reasons, tbh.

timvp
07-03-2013, 08:07 AM
As for Billups, if he's okay with the idea of being the third point guard -- bring him in. If he's eyeing guaranteed minutes, I'd stay away.

Strategic
07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
The Spurs' offense is so dependent on Parker be able to get to the lane I don't see much use in Billups. He would also make Nando's presence no longer needed.

coyotes_geek
07-03-2013, 08:19 AM
The Spurs' offense is so dependent on Parker be able to get to the lane I don't see much use in Billups. He would also make Nando's presence no longer needed.

Between Joseph, Nando and Mills there's already someone whose presence is no longer needed even before potentially adding Billups.

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I agree with everyone that the Spurs need to get younger and not older. I want the Spurs to go after one big name with their remaining cap space such as Jarrett Jack, Jose Calderon, or AK47. I'm always hearing all these teams interested in certain players yet I hardly see the Spurs involved. Looks to me like the FO likes to go after guys that are under the radar which is reasonable because the players that are pursued by everyone usually turn out to be expensive and overpaid.

That being said, if the FO fails to pickup any good FA's, then I wouldn't mind giving Chauncy Billups and Matt Barnes a shot but ONLY if we can get them for cheap which is highly possible given their age. Both players would fill our needs. Spurs need a backup to Kawhi Leonard so Matt Barnes might be a good idea. The bigger question is Chauncy Billups. Can he stay healthy? With Pop being a master at managing player minutes and not overplaying anyone, I believe that Pop might be able to squeeze one more good year out of Billups. He would be a nice backup to TP, especially during crunch time. Chauncy Billups (Mr. Clutch) is not afraid of the moment.

Timvp mentioned that Matt Barnes has never wanted to come to San Antonio so I doubt that will change but if the Spurs do convince him then I wouldn't mind. Chauncy Billups at a veteran's minimum wouldn't hurt to have either. I still think that FO should persist on free agency for younger and better options. I like both of them as a last resort if the FO fails to pickup any good free agents.

Seventyniner
07-03-2013, 08:47 AM
For some reason, Zach Lowe loves Matt Barnes's game. Nene's, too. He sees both players as being at least a B in just about every aspect of the game.

cd98
07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm sure that Billups and Barnes are like plan c.

rjv
07-03-2013, 09:50 AM
billups is a better option than john lucas III

MannyIsGod
07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Spurs FO has spent the last few years reworking the team and getting much younger. The bitching about the Spurs FO never changing makes zero sense.

Now they have solid young building blocks in place (Kawhi/Green/Splitter/Cojo/possibly Baynes) the Spurs can go after some savvy, cheap, and experienced vets to back up the youth. Reminds me of the mid-2000s.

Wish people would stop calling Splitter young. He's about to turn 30.

elemento
07-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Barnes has no interest to come to SA.

Remeber when he took a major paycut just to be in LA?

As for Billups, yeah I like him as an insurance PG, but 8 guards on the roster counting Neal and Manu. Too much. Someone has to go.

couchman
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Let's not forget, as everyone and their mother's FA is tied to the Spurs, that the agents for these players are the ones leaking this information. They want it to look like their player has interest from a lot of teams, driving up the price or perhaps just getting someone to pull the trigger faster on an offer.

L.I.T
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Wish people would stop calling Splitter young. He's about to turn 30.

Eh, true. But mentally my benchmarks are guys like Kurt Thomas and McDyess. Splitter is relatively young and at least entering the typical prime years for a big.

SpursDynasty21
07-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Of those players, Leonard and maybe Green are the only players that I think are building blocks for the future. Maybe Splitter now, because of his new deal.

ironman2886
07-03-2013, 10:47 AM
So with Ginobili re-signing, Cojo, Mills, and Nando, the Spurs are looking at Billups? LOL. It ain't happening. I get Barnes, but Billups is done.

spurseye
07-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Call me crazy...but like Billups idea...high bball IQ...battle tested..if he can handle rock under playoff pressure for 10 minutes sure as hell beats converting a wing to back up pg and suffer turnover after turnover...we need a "Jacque Vaughn"...no flash but minimal mistakes

timtonymanu
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
LMAO at all you saying that Chauncy Billups is washed up yet you'll want to sign Manu Ginobili to an $12M contract. Seriously, does Manu pay your bills? Why are you'll so stupid and ignorant?

Talking out of your ass, aren't you?

elec99
07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Barnes has a high motor, he hustles. Problem is he gets into trouble off court.
Billups cant stay healthy.

loveforthegame
07-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Billups is done. A few years ago would love to have had him here but not now.

Barnes is the type of player you hate to play against. Pesky, gives hard fouls/borderline dirty, and just overall annoying. But you'd love to have someone with that kind of nasty on your side. But I don't see him coming here after rejecting the Spurs a few times in the past.

monkeypunk
07-03-2013, 12:32 PM
No way in hell Barnes comes here though he would provide that nasty that we need.

Chauncey is just not durable enough any more to warrant a contract, imo.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I think Billups would be good for SA. Takes the pressure off Manu having to play point and CoJo hasn't been performing up to par.

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Wasn't Barnes in love with Eva Longoria?

TD 21
07-03-2013, 05:20 PM
As for Billups, if he's okay with the idea of being the third point guard -- bring him in. If he's eyeing guaranteed minutes, I'd stay away.

:lol As if a guy who's always thought he was better than he was and that, in fairness, is probably still good enough to be a third guard, is going to accept being a non rotation player . . . and for what? A kid who's shown virtually zero discernible offensive strength at this level, with the exception of cutting (and not that there isn't value in that, but it's way down the list of necessary PG skills).

I don't get your bizarre obsession with Joseph. He did acquit himself relatively well in the playoffs, but that's only because there were no expectations. Overall, they need more than a caretaker and that's all he is now and probably going forward, too. With Ginobili no longer reliable and Parker again playing for France and coming off of two long playoff runs, it doesn't make sense to have him running himself ragged all regular season. At some point, he's not going to continue to play like he's 27.