PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Ken Berger gets it...but will Dwight?

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 02:04 AM
The courtship is over, and the choice is clear for Dwight Howard.

What will he do?

Chances are, he'll do what nobody else of his stature has ever done or would ever do -- because, that's Dwight.

Two years ago, Howard wanted out of Orlando and had a list of three teams: the Nets, Lakers and Mavericks. Through a series of unfortunate events, Howard wound up with one of them -- the most storied franchise of them all. He wound up in LA, with a team that has won 16 championships, in the entertainment capital of the world.

He got to be teammates with the most prolific winner of our generation, Kobe Bryant, and has a chance to continue to be. He got to play with the franchise that is responsible for giving the NBA some of its most legendary figures -- Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, Bryant, and on and on.

Did we mention the 16 championships?

Finally, Howard stands at the center of the most terrifying maelstrom that has come along in the NBA in decades. What is that, you ask? It's called the Lakers with cap space.

That means that Howard, who has traveled from Orlando to LA and now to a free-agent courtship with four other teams, is 12 months away from being the centerpiece of an unprecedented constellation of star power. If you thought the Lakers' courtship of Howard was something -- with the banners and the hashtags and whatnot -- wait until they knock on LeBron James' door on July 1, 2014.

Dwight, LeBron and Carmelo Anthony on the Lakers, with Bryant saying this week he has three good years left in him? It would make the Heat's Big Three look like a bad pickup game at the Y.

As the basketball world awaits Dwight's decision, the rest of the teams competing in the NBA have their fingers crossed that he fails to see all of that. The rest of the teams are hoping that he runs from the greatness of the Lakers, from the mystique and resources and cache that the late Dr. Jerry Buss built. The rest of the NBA is hoping that he thumbs his nose at the place where basketball legends are made and buys into the shortsighted notion that he's better off going to Houston to play with James Harden.

Well, to be fair, James Harden and Josh Smith. League sources told CBSSports.com on Tuesday night that the Rockets acted quickly on Howard's desire to bring another star to Houston with him and have begun their pursuit of Smith, the Hawks' free-agent forward and Howard's former AAU teammate in Atlanta, in a sign-and-trade arrangement.

No offense to Harden or Smith. No offense to Daryl Morey, who has expertly positioned his roster and payroll for this moment. No offense to Mark Cuban, who has not only the resources but also the basketball acumen and championship track record to give Howard a winning environment in Dallas.

No offense to the Hawks or Warriors, who are on their way.

But seriously: Who walks away from the Lakers?

Who walks away from the Lakers when they'll have $50 million in cap space next summer, when James, Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are free agents?

With Howard in the fold, the Lakers would walk into the recruitment of James next summer with the best center of our generation and room for two other max players. The rest of the NBA would be ducking for cover.

If Howard chooses the Lakers, the shenanigans and drama that has consumed his career for the past three years would cease. I'm not big on loyalty being a trait that professional athletes should exhibit, since hardly anyone shows it to them. But Howard more than anyone else in the sport needs some loyalty on his resume. He'd check that box if he re-signed with the Lakers.

He'd be signing more than a piece of paper that states he'll be paid X amount over X number of years to play basketball professionally. He'd be signing up to enter the pantheon of the all-time greats. And he'd be signing up for having the foresight to see beyond the next 12 months and embrace a future in which the Lakers have two Hall of Famers and money to spend on two more.

In the short term, with an old roster and with Bryant's Achilles injury, it would be a challenge. And by choosing the more difficult road in the short term, Howard would get image points for that, too.

The Lakers' recruitment of Dwight -- on billboards, on Twitter, in the awkwardly worded team statement after their two-hour meeting with him on Tuesday -- has made some uncomfortable. But everybody needs to understand something: There hasn't been a peep, not a whisper of the Lakers entertaining a desperation sign-and-trade arrangement to salvage an asset or two if Howard decided to leave.

Think about that. Nobody in the NBA can afford to lose a player of Dwight Howard's talent and get nothing in return. Nobody ... except the Lakers.

If Howard leaves, the Lakers will be fine. They'll still be the Lakers -- still will have 16 championship banners and a winning legacy built by Dr. Buss despite the best efforts of his bon vivant son, Jim, to ruin it.

In fact, the Lakers would be better than the Lakers as we've known them. In 12 short months, they'll be the Lakers with Dwight Howard and cap space. Which means they'll be able to get whatever players -- and whatever coach -- they want.

If the Clippers can have Chris Paul and Doc Rivers, who could the Lakers have with money to spend?

So the question remains: What will Dwight do? I don't know. Nobody knows; not even Dwight.

I just know that if he stays with the Lakers, he'll put the NBA on notice that he's finally figured it out. If he stays with the Lakers, he'll take the first step toward repairing his image, proving his loyalty and entering the exclusive club of legends who've been made there.

He'll be signing up for something hard, something challenging to live up to. It isn't easy to win championships and be great.

I also know this: If he leaves, he'll just go back to being Dwight Howard. Somehow, that makes the most sense.

LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/22615139/howard-can-take-easy-way-out-of-la-or-stay-and-become-a-legend)

What a thought-provoking article, tbh. :)

spurraider21
07-03-2013, 02:21 AM
this guy's wrong in that he assumes dwight's list included anybody outside of brooklyn

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 02:22 AM
this guy's wrong in that he assumes dwight's list included anybody outside of brooklyn
Wrong. Ken Berger is on Woj level in terms of credibility son.

spurraider21
07-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Dwight routinely said the only team he'd commit to and sign an extension with was Brooklyn. No amount of credibility can undo quotes form Dwight

Obstructed_View
07-03-2013, 07:19 AM
:lol most prolific winner.

ffadicted
07-03-2013, 08:39 AM

That had me chuckling too tbh

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Sure they'll have the cash to rebuild in 2014 but right now they're asking him to believe that he'll get there in one piece when he'll be the only quality player on the roster next year not eligible for AARP benefits. As though D'Antoni will somehow grow a brain and not try to play Howard 42 minutes per game for 82 straight.

Leetonidas
07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
not to nitpick or anything but technically the Lakers didn't give us Wilt, his best days were by far in Philly and that's how he is remembered

Leetonidas
07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
I also didn't realize how much cap space they have next summer... :depressed

Clipper Nation
07-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Is this an article or a Lakersground circle jerk?

:lol Thinking LeBron and Melo are joining your shit team and putting up with Kirby for the next three years

Michael Jordan.
07-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Ken Berger suckin more dick than Kim K.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
not to nitpick or anything but technically the Lakers didn't give us Wilt, his best days were by far in Philly and that's how he is remembered

Wilt and Shaq and Kareem all came from other teams.

Leetonidas
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Yes but their greatest years came as Lakers. No one gives a shit about the Lew Alcindor Bucks. The Shaq Magic were cool and all but his legacy is built as a Laker, same with Kareem, and while Wilt may have won his only title with West, it's his insane domination of the regular season and all the records he set and holds to this day with the Warriors that people remember. You think of Wilt and you think of him sitting there holding the 100 sign in his Philly jersey, not the title he won with Jerry West.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Stats are what matters and I'm betting that Wilt's greatest strides towards 20K were in LA, with it's endless supply of fresh of the bus wannabe actresses willing to do anything for anyone famous.

Bill_Brasky
07-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I stopped reading the second he suggested LeBron and Melo possibilities and said "nobody ever turns down the Lakers". Give me a break.

Kai
07-03-2013, 10:44 AM
What a garbage article.

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Lakers are the only team in league history with an overall record > 0.500 (http://www.lakersuniverse.com/history.htm). Not even Boston can say that shit son. I'd say when you win 61.9% of over 5,000 games played - that's pretty damn prolific. :nope

Thread
07-03-2013, 10:54 AM
That had me chuckling too tbh

After 6 you were due a chuckle.

tee, hee.

The Gemini Method
07-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Lakers are the only team in league history with an overall record > 0.500 (http://www.lakersuniverse.com/history.htm). Not even Boston can say that shit son. I'd say when you win 61.9% of over 5,000 games played - that's pretty damn prolific. :nope The prolific winner remark was alluding to Kobe; not the franchise I believe. I'm not so sure that the Lakers can pair up anyone of elite star status next summer, but all that cap room...it will be interesting to see what happens.

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Sure they'll have the cash to rebuild in 2014 but right now they're asking him to believe that he'll get there in one piece when he'll be the only quality player on the roster next year not eligible for AARP benefits. As though D'Antoni will somehow grow a brain and not try to play Howard 42 minutes per game for 82 straight.

Dude - he's 28 and in his prime - not 40. PJ used to play Shaq 40+ (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2000.html) mpg during the 3peat years. MDA is a spineless dumbass, but playing someone in their prime isn't a bad thing.

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
The prolific winner remark was alluding to Kobe; not the franchise I believe. I'm not so sure that the Lakers can pair up anyone of elite star status next summer, but all that cap room...it will be interesting to see what happens.
Got it. But still, Kobe trumps Duncan h2h in the playoffs and has more rings than any other star player during his tenure. I think that description of Kobe fits to a tee.

whitemamba
07-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Got it. But still, Kobe trumps Duncan h2h in the playoffs and has more rings than any other star player during his tenure. I think that description of Kobe fits to a tee.

goods. stats dont say everything though, people use stats on this forum to try bring players down, rather than the opposite. Kobe is the best player of his generation, performing at the level he is still, pre achillies, you have to respect it.

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I also didn't realize how much cap space they have next summer... :depressed
:lolnly Nash's paltry $9M on the books son. Read it (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm) and weep son. That's the real reason why I'm not really sweating if Dwight walks. I'd say if he does we should tank for Wiggins. Then S&T Pau over the summer for pieces. Plus we'd have a ton of cap space to boot. It would be like 1996 all over again. Dwight would be the centerpiece of it all - if he's smart. We'll see. :lol

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I stopped reading the second he suggested LeBron and Melo possibilities and said "nobody ever turns down the Lakers". Give me a break.
Not saying it will happen, but let's look at it like this: LBJ and Bosh took less to play with Wade in Miami for a chance at multiple rings. You don't think LBJ and Melo would do the same thing to play with Dwight...in LA?

Never say never son. :)

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
What a garbage article.
I enjoyed it. :)

Michael Jordan.
07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Not saying it will happen, but let's look at it like this: LBJ and Bosh took less to play with Wade in Miami for a chance at multiple rings. You don't think LBJ and Melo would do the same thing to play with Dwight...in LA?

Never say never son. :)

:lmao LeBron ain't goin to L.A. to help Kobe win son.

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Dwight routinely said the only team he'd commit to and sign an extension with was Brooklyn. No amount of credibility can undo quotes form Dwight
You believe everything Dwight says publicly? If so, you must be an adorable Magic Fan. :lol

Ken Berger is a true NBA insider. Look up his work on the inner workings of the NBA lockout if you don't believe me. He's legit son.

CubanMustGo
07-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Lakers are the only team in league history with an overall record > 0.500 (http://www.lakersuniverse.com/history.htm).

San Antonio Spurs Basic Data:

Current Main Logo:
http://www.nbauniverse.com/images/logos_sm/san_antonio_spurs_2003.pngRelated:
San Antonio Spurs Information (http://www.nbauniverse.com/teams/san_antonio_spurs.htm)

Team NBA history:

1977 -present

NBA

San Antonio Spurs

All-Time NBA Record (NBA and BAA):
Regular Season: 1822-1164 (.610)

Michael Jordan.
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Apparently Dwight has gone to Colorado to make a decision. Kobe must have requested that Dwight must first forcibly fuck a white girl against her will before he can rejoin the Lakers.

snickles
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
was this an onion article?

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
:lmao LeBron ain't goin to L.A. to help Kobe win son.
Maybe. Maybe not. It's no secret that even Kobe's deal expires the same year LBJ can become a FA again. I recall Shaq having a stacked Orlando team - and still bolted for LA in 1996. :)

Michael Jordan.
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. It's no secret that even Kobe's deal expires the same year LBJ can become a FA again. I recall Shaq having a stacked Orlando team - and still bolted for LA in 1996. :)
LeBron wants to pass Kobe in ring count, and he probably will. Yeah he's not gonna help Kobe.

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Current Main Logo:
San Antonio Spurs Information (http://www.nbauniverse.com/teams/san_antonio_spurs.htm)

Team NBA history:

1977 -present

NBA

San Antonio Spurs

:lol - I didn't know son. H:lolnest. ;)

Clipper Nation
07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Only way LeBron's coming to LA is to join his good friend CP3.... he sure ain't putting on the purple-and-piss and agreeing to become Kirby's new scapegoat, tbh....

whitemamba
07-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Only way LeBron's coming to LA is to join his good friend CP3.... he sure ain't putting on the purple-and-piss and agreeing to become Kirby's new scapegoat, tbh....

Flop Brothers

Clipper Nation
07-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Flop Brothers
Not sure how these guys relate to CP3 and Bron, tbh :downspin:

http://i.imgur.com/fNWDtqZ.png

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
You just talking. Clipps have no cap space (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_clippers.htm)for LBJ. We do.

No one would have thought Shaq (biggest FA in NBA history) would leave a stacked Orlando team...but he did. Logo did his homework and voilą. :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Dude - he's 28 and in his prime - not 40. PJ used to play Shaq 40+ (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2000.html) mpg during the 3peat years. MDA is a spineless dumbass, but playing someone in their prime isn't a bad thing.

Fair enough, but it's not just the minutes. Mike (and pretty much the entire league now) play at a much faster pace than the three peat Lakers did. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I really can't remember a time during Shaq's LA years where he didn't have enough shooting around him make teams pay for throwing their whole defense at him, much less a quality perimeter scorer like Kobe. Some people still have question marks about Dwight's back being 100% better but for me it's the shoulder injury he was dealing with that would have me more concerned. Not that it was a crippling one but it was a direct result of all the hard fouls he was absorbing. Prime or no prime I don't think he can hold up to a whole damn season of that, much less one his role will be forcibly expanded and more physical than last year by virtue of teammates health issues. Not without picking up a few of the kinds of nagging injuries that could well take a year or two off of his prime.

Clipper Nation
07-03-2013, 12:05 PM
No one would have thought Shaq (biggest FA in NBA history) would leave a stacked Orlando team...but he did. Logo did his homework and voilą. :lol

So wrong, I don't even know where to start :lol

Shaq was not the biggest FA in NBA history - LeBron was... plus his agent had been pushing for him to leave Orlando for years (even tried to convince Orlando's GM to trade Shaq to the Lakers on draft night '92), the Orlando media was ripping him to shreds, and he hated the coach and front office (not to mention the jealousy that emerged between Shaq and Penny), so Shaq leaving the Magic was nowhere near as shocking as you're pretending it was, tbh....

gnsf0946
07-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Current Main Logo:

Team NBA history:

1977 -present

NBA

San Antonio Spurs

and yet 16>4

regular season champs indeed

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Shaq was not the biggest FA in NBA history - LeBron was... plus his agent had been pushing for him to leave Orlando for years (even tried to convince Orlando's GM to trade Shaq to the Lakers on draft night '92), the Orlando media was ripping him to shreds, and he hated the coach and front office (not to mention the jealousy that emerged between Shaq and Penny), so Shaq leaving the Magic was nowhere near as shocking as you're pretending it was, tbh....
Can't refute the other parts (too lazy to research it tbh) - but the bolded is a weak :downspin: on your part. You honestly believe LBJ was a bigger FA than a 7'1" 315lb 24 year-old athletic as fuck stud? Hell, if his fatass would have been professional about his career and stayed away from Krispy Kreme, he'd be the undisputed GOAT. LBJ is really good - and unlike Shaq did - he's taking full advantage of his skill set and God-given ability. Even still, I'm not ready to say he's better than Shaq was entering FA. We'll agree to disagree.

Clipper Nation
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Nah, LeBron was a bigger free agent.... he was the consensus best player in the league at the time he hit the market, Shaq wasn't....

da_suns_fan
07-03-2013, 12:26 PM
He got to be teammates with the most prolific winner of our generation, Kobe Bryant, and has a chance to continue to be. He got to play with the franchise that is responsible for giving the NBA some of its most legendary figures -- Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, Bryant, and on and on.

Is this guy fucking serious? Playing with the "most prolific winner of our generation, Kobe Bryant" resulted in BARELY making the playoffs. And who gives a shit about past Lakers? Is Magic going to suit up?

LkrFan
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
LeBron wants to pass Kobe in ring count, and he probably will. Yeah he's not gonna help Kobe.
Don't get it twisted son. He wants to be a billionaire...

LeBron: The next Buffett? (http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/14/commentary/sportsbiz/)

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Forget whether LeBron James is the next Michael Jordan. The more interesting question is whether he can be the next Warren Buffett.

James, the 22-year old star of the Cleveland Cavaliers, has been hyped as the game's next superstar since he was in high school. And his own ambitions are no less grand - he has stated a desire to be the first billionaire athlete.

...and considering LA is the 2nd biggest media market where he will command a ton of off court endorsements...it makes sen$e for him to go westward. :lol

Leetonidas
07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
:lolnly Nash's paltry $9M on the books son. Read it (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm) and weep son. That's the real reason why I'm not really sweating if Dwight walks. I'd say if he does we should tank for Wiggins. Then S&T Pau over the summer for pieces. Plus we'd have a ton of cap space to boot. It would be like 1996 all over again. Dwight would be the centerpiece of it all - if he's smart. We'll see. :lol
I don't really see you guys getting LeBron but it is the Lakers and they will return to relevancy quickly, as always

Michael Jordan.
07-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't really see you guys getting LeBron but it is the Lakers and they will return to relevancy quickly, as always
Naw son. Jerry ain't walkin through that door.

King Nupe
07-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Current Main Logo:

Team NBA history:

1977 -present

NBA

San Antonio Spurs

Cute, but the Lakers were in the NBA 20 Years BEFORE the spurs were and they still have a 61%

Thread
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Riley will never permit LeBron to leave the Heat except to hang up his jock for good.

da_suns_fan
07-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Shaq had indicated he wanted to play in LA before he was even drafted. He was vocal about it. I had a biography of him after his rookie year and it included of a picture of him holding a globe and pointing to L.A.

namlook
07-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Nah, LeBron was a bigger free agent.... he was the consensus best player in the league at the time he hit the market, Shaq wasn't....

Shaq was a bigger free agent. If Shaq and Lebron were both free agents in their primes most teams pick Shaq. You don't pass up a dominant big man for a small forward.

CubanMustGo
07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Cute, but the Lakers were in the NBA 20 Years BEFORE the spurs were and they still have a 61%

http://biopoliticaltimes.org/img/original/goalposts.jpg

Obstructed_View
07-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Lakers are the only team in league history with an overall record > 0.500 (http://www.lakersuniverse.com/history.htm). Not even Boston can say that shit son. I'd say when you win 61.9% of over 5,000 games played - that's pretty damn prolific. :nope

If the article were referring to the team that way, I'd completely agree with it based on what you just posted above. However, he was referring to Kobe, who's behind his own teammate and three Spurs on the winning percentage list. All four of those players were Kobe's generation, and some of them have never missed the playoffs.

whitemamba
07-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Not sure how these guys relate to CP3 and Bron, tbh :downspin:

http://i.imgur.com/fNWDtqZ.png

you sure you want to start the gif game ?

Killakobe81
07-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Meh ...Dwight is no Lebron. Sure, I would prefer he stay if he would take less to super friend it up with another star down the road.
He wants the max (which he does) let him walk.

Killakobe81
07-03-2013, 11:51 PM

I agree. Lebron was bigger, but Shaq was pretty huge too ...

Baseline
07-04-2013, 04:02 AM
:lmao LeBron ain't goin to L.A. to help Kobe win son. Across the hall to the Clips, I could see.

Michael Jordan.
10-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Wrong. Ken Berger is on Woj level in terms of credibility son.
:lmao