PDA

View Full Version : Monte or AK47

Gino-Step
07-03-2013, 03:55 AM
It's clear we have the space to afford one but we can't get two even if Manu is not resigned. So who would you want with Manu. Monte or AK47. Seems to me both would get similar money Monte might be more years.

TE
07-03-2013, 03:58 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg

td4mvp2k
07-03-2013, 03:59 AM
monte no ?

BatManu20
07-03-2013, 03:59 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3v1ygv.jpg

ChumpDumper
07-03-2013, 04:00 AM
If we can get Matt Barnes, Ellis.

SanDiegoSpursFan
07-03-2013, 04:10 AM
I like AK. Monta Ellis isn't that good.

FkLA
07-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Monta

jesterbobman
07-03-2013, 04:34 AM
The one that's good at Basketball.

KL2
07-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Definitely AK 47, he could really help when teams go small, both him and Leonard can easily play PF and tear it up on defense.

Ellis is a big gamble, it's possible he could return to an all star quality player in SA's system. With Kawhi/TP/Duncan etc. scoring will be sooo much easier, the defense finally won't be geared to stop just him. He could make plays and run the offense, again something the Spurs desperately need. Him and TP in transition would be extremely difficult to guard, and we know how SA loves to push the ball not allowing the defense to get set. With proper coaching he could be a very valuable player to have.

Or he could just suck and continue to be a chucker. I think it's guaranteed Kawhi will have a big role on offense, and be very successful, however it's possible Ellis takes shots from him and TP and just totally fucks SA over with stupid plays.

dg7md
07-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Monta. More of an upside, superstar potential. 5 great years are left for him.

AK74 is an injury-prone guy in the last years of his career.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 04:48 AM
Spurs won 3 titles in 5 years when they had an elite backcourt.

Now it's TP.

I'd give the nod to going with a 2 over the 3/4 as the Spurs have Leonard and Diaw.

chapnis
07-03-2013, 04:48 AM
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/15/4b57fc75510649b887faad1a93bec849/l.jpg

Tim_duncan21
07-03-2013, 04:52 AM
I think Monte, as much as I like to have AK47 more. It's because he can be very useful when the opposing team's defense is focusing on TP like what usually happens in the playoffs. Plus AK47 is injury prone lately.

mudyez
07-03-2013, 04:54 AM
AK47 gives us so many options (smallball, bigwingball, benching bonner forever) while monte will only be a higher volume gary neal!

AK47 it is!

Get AK and if Neal leaves, make Miller the new chucker!

Ice009
07-03-2013, 04:56 AM
I'm surprised that people are completely shitting on Monta Ellis, left, right, and center. I think he is incredibly talented. He makes *a lot* of bone headed mistakes, but I think he has a ton of talent. If you could reign him in and harness that talent, I think he could be a really, really good player. It'd be a gamble, but I really do think he has a lot of talent and potential that he hasn't harnessed yet. Maybe on the right team, system, he could realize a lot of that potential.

Not sure if we should sign him, but I do want to say that I think he is better than what a lot of people around here are giving him credit for.

Baam
07-03-2013, 04:58 AM
AK, I just want to see him and Boris pass the ball to each other.

But both would be nice.

mudyez
07-03-2013, 05:03 AM
Fuck, after thinking about it I want AK47 more than any other player the last 5 years....hell I'd even like him more than David West some days ago.

Make it happen!

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 05:09 AM
I think Kirilenko is a more likely signing, but at this point you need that scoring threat at the 2. Manu is not what he used to be. As we saw in the Finals, championship competition will be able to limit TP's effectiveness at times.

jermaine
07-03-2013, 05:21 AM
I seen Monte play 1 day an people underestimate his scoring ability. He can flat out score! But the thought of the defense of Da Russian with Leonard, Green, an Duncan. Omg..... Defense leads to offense. I'd take either cuz Tony looked terrible an we couldn't generate no kinda offense.

L.I.T
07-03-2013, 05:21 AM
I'd love to see Monta playing off of Manu within the Spurs cutting motion offense. A TP/Monta backcourt could wreck havoc on undersized and older backcourts in the West, especially with TP transitioning more into a distributor role.

AK47 would offer some additional flexibility on the defensive end and provide them with an alternative to Kawhi as a small ball PF. However, I think some of what he can bring to the table can be approximated by cheaper signings.

The upshot is, even if they haven't signed anyone yet other than Splitter, all the smoke indicates the Spurs are swinging for the fences for the next two to three years.

If only for the sheer explosive possibilities I'm intrigued by Monta (coupled with a defensive signing like Barnes and Billups)

Ice009
07-03-2013, 05:23 AM
Both would really help the Spurs out. Monta could help us a lot on offense and Kirilenko would be great all around, especially defensively. Try and get Oden too, and if he can play, then the Spurs defense could be really great.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Kirilenko makes sense if the Spurs intend to start to feature Leonard in the offense more next season, and if he can handle it, especially with opponents game planning for him night in and night out. Obviously his Finals performance was phenomenal, but it will be a big step for the young man to be that dependable wing scorer. If he can give you that and take some of the perimeter scoring load off Parker, then Kirilenko makes more sense as an addition.

MeloHype
07-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Monta easy.

smaka
07-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Monta

Says a guy with his avatar :lol

Ice009
07-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Kirilenko makes sense if the Spurs intend to start to feature Leonard in the offense more next season, and if he can handle it, especially with opponents game planning for him night in and night out. Obviously his Finals performance was phenomenal, but it will be a big step for the young man to be that dependable wing scorer. If he can give you that and take some of the perimeter scoring load off Parker, then Kirilenko makes more sense as an addition.

Yes, I guess it depends on what role Kawhi is going to play next season and if he can do it night in and night out. I think Kawhi is ready to do it. I'd say he is pretty pissed off with how the finals ended and he will come back with a vengeance. If the Spurs want to feature him more on offense, then someone has to also help out with the load defensively too.

Spurs9
07-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Monta

Darkwaters
07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
It's clear we have the space to afford one but we can't get two even if Manu is not resigned. So who would you want with Manu. Monte or AK47. Seems to me both would get similar money Monte might be more years.

Who is "Monte"?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
That would benefit Manu as well as TP.

So you take the Finals team and replace Bonner with Kirilenko. Lose Neal in the process I guess.

Bruno
07-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Easily Kirilenko. I think he is a terrific player who would be a great fit with Spurs.

I'm not a fan a Monta Ellis and his chucking but, if Manu is back, I don't even think Spurs really need to add another guard or to re-sign Neal. Parker, Green, Ginobili, Joseph, De Colo and Mills is fine by me to play the guard minutes. Players like Joseph and De Colo will likely be better and after the promises shown last season, they are ready to have a bigger role.

Darkwaters
07-03-2013, 06:01 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0lo3qJWxQ1qcmgkho1_400.jpg

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Which then means the Spurs need a replacement, apparently Billups they have targeted.

And you could use a backup 3. Interest in Barnes, though every offseason the Spurs are offering Barnes and he never signs.

Starters
1 Parker
2 Green
3 Leonard
4 Duncan
5 Splitter

Bench
1 Joseph
1/2 De Colo
2 Ginobili
3 ?
3/4 Kirilenko
4 Diaw
5 Baynes

IR
1/2 Billups
1/2/3/4/5 The People's Champ

Spursfanfromafar
07-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Monta Ellis is not only a chucker (and a talented and quite inefficient one at that). He is a horrendous defender who gives little effort at that end. Considering he will be overpriced, he would be a redundant piece on the Spurs. There is no way the Spurs are going to overpay a one-dimensional scorer who is inefficient to boot.

Andrei Kirilenko answers two specific needs for the Spurs - a backup small ball 4 who will spell the Spurs' bigs and play that position. And secondly, a good defender against spot-up shooting while playing help defense. This was what was glaringly a problem for the Spurs against the likes of the Warriors and the Heat.

Kirilenko does both at league elite levels and he will be a very good fit.

Only issue is that he won't be effective as a Lebron guard on the post or on ISOs. Those days of his spider-arms shot blocking are over and he will only be league average there. What he will do is to effectively thwart ball movement of the opposition, get some steals and will ignite fast breaks and transition buckets in the plentiful.

Combine him with Kawhi, Green, Manu, TP and Cory, and the Spurs' perimeter defense could be scary good.

The only issue with AK47 is his age. He is 32 and shouldn't get a contract for more than 3 years. Will he accept that is the question to be asked.

MeloHype
07-03-2013, 06:45 AM
people are just assuming Ellis is a shotjacking ballhog incapable of sharing when in fact he's one of the best passers at his position and he's been a #1 option by default for the majority of his career due to being the best player. When there were better scoring options next to him (Jason Richardson, Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, prime Al Harrington) he shot less than them all. In recent seasons he's had to shot jack as the #1 option, in San Antonio its clear as day Parker is the #1 and he'd have no issue being 2nd banana. You think he's going to shoot 40% playing opposite a superstar? Thats almost ludicrous to suggest. This sounds like the logic people use to suggest Carmelo Anthony hurts the knicks. There is no chance in hell Monta Ellis hurts us and I'd like to think a career 20 point scorer on 45% would help us immensely

exstatic
07-03-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm surprised that people are completely shitting on Monta Ellis, left, right, and center. I think he is incredibly talented. He makes *a lot* of bone headed mistakes, but I think he has a ton of talent. If you could reign him in and harness that talent, I think he could be a really, really good player. It'd be a gamble, but I really do think he has a lot of talent and potential that he hasn't harnessed yet. Maybe on the right team, system, he could realize a lot of that potential.

Not sure if we should sign him, but I do want to say that I think he is better than what a lot of people around here are giving him credit for.

That would have to have happened in his first few years in the league. Monta Ellis is exactly what he is, which is a low 40%s undersized no defense shooting guard. That's what you're buying.

chapnis
07-03-2013, 06:55 AM
I would enjoy the Kirilenko/Lundgren comparisons.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-03-2013, 07:06 AM
That would have to have happened in his first few years in the league. Monta Ellis is exactly what he is, which is a low 40%s undersized no defense shooting guard. That's what you're buying.

Not quite, the year GSW beat Dallas in the playoffs, Monta shot 53% from the field for the year and averaged 4 APG. Like poster said before, the GSW had shooters in Harrington, Richardson, SJ, Belinelli, Pietrus and Baron Davis.

Statistically speaking, Ellis had his most efficient year that year. Playing next to Duncan, Splitter, Parker, Green, Leonard, and Manu, Ellis wouldn't be the primary scoring option but we be more of a facilitator/scorer coming off the bench and a spot up shooter/slasher when Parker is on the floor with him.

exstatic
07-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Not quite, the year GSW beat Dallas in the playoffs, Monta shot 53% from the field for the year and averaged 4 APG. Like poster said before, the GSW had shooters in Harrington, Richardson, SJ, Belinelli, Pietrus and Baron Davis.

Statistically speaking, Ellis had his most efficient year that year. Playing next to Duncan, Splitter, Parker, Green, Leonard, and Manu, Ellis wouldn't be the primary scoring option but we be more of a facilitator/scorer coming off the bench and a spot up shooter/slasher when Parker is on the floor with him.

Look at the trend line of his shooting %, year to year. I'll give you a hint: It's NOT going up.

exstatic
07-03-2013, 07:22 AM
This was through February last year, going by the image name...

http://www.bucksketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bad-Shooting-Nights2.png

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Look at the trend line of his shooting %, year to year. I'll give you a hint: It's NOT going up.

I agree, but that is because has been playing on Sorry teams since the 07-08 Warriors where he had to carry most of the load. Its funny how people say Harden is possibly the best SG in the league yet he averages 43% FG shooting last year and he had his best year coming off the bench and being the 3rd option behind Durant and Westbrook.

With Ellis not being the main guy and actually coming off the bench against a teams 2nd unit, his number IMO would greatly improve. Spurs need another slasher on this team. They had Parker and Manu for years. But Manu showed towards the end of last year he can't do it on a night in and night out basis.

MeloHype
07-03-2013, 07:28 AM
No shit, other than Jennings, everybody on the bucks is garbage

exstatic
07-03-2013, 07:45 AM
I agree, but that is because has been playing on Sorry teams since the 07-08 Warriors where he had to carry most of the load. Its funny how people say Harden is possibly the best SG in the league yet he averages 43% FG shooting last year and he had his best year coming off the bench and being the 3rd option behind Durant and Westbrook.

With Ellis not being the main guy and actually coming off the bench against a teams 2nd unit, his number IMO would greatly improve. Spurs need another slasher on this team. They had Parker and Manu for years. But Manu showed towards the end of last year he can't do it on a night in and night out basis.

Do you know that he would even be willing to come off the bench? Everyone is not Manu...

Spur|n|Austin
07-03-2013, 07:53 AM
people are just assuming Ellis is a shotjacking ballhog incapable of sharing when in fact he's one of the best passers at his position and he's been a #1 option by default for the majority of his career due to being the best player. When there were better scoring options next to him (Jason Richardson, Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, prime Al Harrington) he shot less than them all. In recent seasons he's had to shot jack as the #1 option, in San Antonio its clear as day Parker is the #1 and he'd have no issue being 2nd banana. You think he's going to shoot 40% playing opposite a superstar? Thats almost ludicrous to suggest. This sounds like the logic people use to suggest Carmelo Anthony hurts the knicks. There is no chance in hell Monta Ellis hurts us and I'd like to think a career 20 point scorer on 45% would help us immensely

Where did you hear he'd have no issue being the second piece of fruit?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Do you know that he would even be willing to come off the bench? Everyone is not Manu...

Possibly, its up to Ellis what he wants. At 27 that was the age Jason Terry switched to being the 6th man and he avg. like 18 ppg for 6 years being just that for the Mavs. Word is that he wants to go to a championship contending team. Spurs have shown you can be an allstar on this team coming off the bench as a 6th man.

It wouldn't be a tough sell on the Spurs part b/c they have proven that just b/c your coming off the bench doesn't mean you're just a role player.

K-State Spur
07-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Harden supplements his overall FG% by: 1) hitting a decent percentage from 3, 2) getting to the FT line, more than anybody in basketball, & 3) occasionally playing a little bit of defense, albeit nothing spectacular.

If Harden did none of those things, he would not be a good player. He would be Monta Ellis.

palangi
07-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Monta, then get casspi.

70th Week
07-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Why would Ellis come off the bench? The sixth man would be a great spot for Green. A spark plug, instant offense, floor stretching defender..

Ice009
07-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Why would Ellis come off the bench? The sixth man would be a great spot for Green. A spark plug, instant offense, floor stretching defender..

I still value defense over offense a lot more, so if Monta wanted to start then he'd have to really want to play defense and get MUCH better on that end of the floor. I wouldn't start him over Green as it stands right now because his defense is sub par.

coyotes_geek
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
No doubt that AK is certainly cut from Spurs timber while Monta is pretty much the anti-Spur. That being said, MB does bring up a fair point about the Spurs backcourt scoring. The offense struggles enough when Tony's getting a rest, even more so when Manu's having an off night shooting the ball. Monta would certainly help there. The Spurs went after Corey Maggette real hard several years ago, so I think they're comfortable enough that there's room on the team for a guy who plays a little (okay, a lot) selfish.

AK would be a nice add as well, but he's pretty much redundant to Leonard. That is not a bad thing in any way as both Leonard and AK are incredibly versatile and the Spurs would have no problems finding roles to accommodate both of them. But the question is whether or not the Spurs are better off strengthening a strength, or strengthening a weakness. Another factor to consider about adding AK to the team is that his presence pretty much makes Diaw an irrelevant piece to the team. Leonard/AK are going to eat up some PF minutes just because the Spurs have to get those guys on the floor.

Either would be a good add, but I'd lean towards Monta TBH.

Spur|n|Austin
07-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Yesterday I would have said AK over Monta immediately, but today my mind has shifted a little towards Ellis. Not 100% sure why, but I do agree that the back court scoring during droughts would be nice, and definitely there with ME. Spurs getting either would be a big acquisition.

ducks
07-03-2013, 10:08 AM
if ak for three years ak easlily

StoneBuddha
07-03-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm torn. I view AK as the cheaper, less risky fit but a tamed Monta is exactly what the Spurs need. AK helps more with the D, Ellis more with the O.

I guess I'm going vote for the extra wingspan, but I don't think Monte is even possible at this point money wise.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I just think the wheels are about to come off Manu for good next season. Unless Leonard takes a big step in that department, the Spurs need a scorer, preferably off the bench. Ellis doesn't fit the bill perfectly, but he fits.

All kind of academic at this point. I don't think either will play for the MLE.

bigdog
07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I agree. I'm glad Manu is back, but I feel like he will try to do too much, as he has lately, and he will have a very bad injury, or will just completely suck eventually, which I hate to say. I think Monta could either be a black hole on offense, or he could help tremendously. Too bad we can't afford him now.

mudyez
07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
How the eff is this even a discussion? Aren't we the team thats laughing about other teams giving contracts to low eeficiency/no defense players?

Let NY, Brookly, Sacremento and so on get these guys while going for the efficient capable defenders!

spurraider21
07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
AK, and it's really not close

tim_duncan_fan
07-03-2013, 12:17 PM
We don't have enough to sign either of these guys, do we? So what's the point?

Stabula
07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Spurs need a back up for Leonard. If we keep making him play 45 minutes a game by the time he's 30 he'll have Bynum knees.

Proxy
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Do you think the quality of teams he's been on affects those numbers?

kobyz
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
only Monta!! only Monta can save our season, we desperately need him if we want to do somthing next season, we can't stay the same, it will not cut it... Ak will not help us shit, for us he exactly what Boris and he is useless when we had Kawai already... Monta is the kind of player we must to add, we must to have another creator, another force, guard or wing who makes plays and score, we can't stay the same we must to try upgrad ourself even if it say to take risk!

Spur|n|Austin
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
We don't have enough to sign either of these guys, do we? So what's the point?

Won't know until we get the final details of the Ginobili contract.

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Good bye to both of you. :bang

mudyez
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
At least we wont get Monte too! :)

slick'81
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah spurs aren't getting either

Budkin
07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
AK 47 is much more versatile.