PDA

View Full Version : Excel Web App (on SkyDrive) vs Google Spreadsheet (on Google Drive)

Venti Quattro
07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Help a nigga out here. Which one do you think is better for online document collaboration? I have a workbook spanning thousands of rows and and hundreds of columns in multiple sheets. I need formulas, summations, conditional formatting and logical functions .... a lot of it, and I need my colleagues to be able to do the same. I need to be able to churn out simple but comprehensive reports from these spreadsheets. Which do you think is more equipped to do better for my need?

resistanze
07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Help a nigga out here. Which one do you think is better for online document collaboration? I have a workbook spanning thousands of rows and and hundreds of columns in multiple sheets. I need formulas, summations, conditional formatting and logical functions .... a lot of it, and I need my colleagues to be able to do the same. I need to be able to churn out simple but comprehensive reports from these spreadsheets. Which do you think is more equipped to do better for my need?

Maybe it's preferable to get Excel 2013 if your require complex functions, I think it has full cloud support now. Can't you check if yer ass can get Office 2013 for $11 through the home use program?

leemajors
07-03-2013, 09:24 AM
I think SkyDrive gives you 7GB free too.

illusioNtEk
07-03-2013, 09:39 AM
lol im still using office 07, best ever no bs

Venti Quattro
07-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Maybe it's preferable to get Excel 2013 if your require complex functions, I think it has full cloud support now. Can't you check if yer ass can get Office 2013 for $11 through the home use program?

Nigga I have Excel 2013. However, I don't know about the cloud support. I just know about Sharepoint from Office 2007.

leemajors
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Nigga I have Excel 2013. However, I don't know about the cloud support. I just know about Sharepoint from Office 2007.

I think Office 365 is their cloud based service, not sure about integration with Excel 2013

LarryDavid
07-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Whenever I've uploaded Excel spreadsheets to Google Drive, I always have problems with formatting and converting it. Some formulas come out wonky. Why don't you test it out and see what happens to your spreadsheets? The collaboration on drive is great, and you get 15 GB of free storage with google drive.

I've only used Word web app. Uploading documents and formatting is less of an issue there.

Venti Quattro
07-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Hmmm so I stuck with Excel Web App on SkyDrive. I just found out that I can update the document in my desktop and upload it in real-time if there are any gaps in function in SkyDrive that I need to do in the desktop Excel.

And, hmmm, well it's pretty obvious that it's more native to the desktop Excel.

In terms of cloud storage I might stick with Google Drive. I have a storage plan and I use it for e-mail and for online documents collaboration. I have 50gb on my Gmail alone.

Venti Quattro
07-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Btw thanks for the ideas, resistanze. Might explore the home use program

Venti Quattro
07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
SkyDrive integration with MS Office is one of the smartest things that MS ever thought as a corporation. I don't have to worry about forgetting storage devices. It's all in there!