PDA

View Full Version : Aim at a cop, get SHOT!

Clandestino
07-17-2005, 08:12 PM
I sure hope you guys don't think this is the cop's fault...

NEW: Officer killed man during disturbance call

Web Posted: 07/17/2005 11:21 AM CDT

Mariano Castillo
Express-News Staff Writer

A San Antonio police officer early Sunday shot and killed a man who pointed a gun at the officer during a family disturbance on the city's far North Side.

Edward Campos, a 17-year-veteran of the police veteran, shot Stephen Hastings, 44, once in the chest inside Hastings' garage in the 1400 block of Belclaire at about 3:28 a.m., police said.

When police arrived at the house, they were met by Hastings' son, who told officers his father and stepmother were fighting in the garage, according to a police statement.

Two officers, Campos and James Rodriguez, entered the garage and found Hastings and his wife struggling over a handgun, police said.

Both officers drew their weapons and ordered Hastings to drop his weapon.

The woman was able to get away from the gunman, who turned his attention to the officers and raised his gun toward them, the police statement said.

That's when Campos fired his handgun and struck Hastings in the chest, police said.

Hastings was pronounced dead at the scene.

Campos has been placed on administrative duty while police investigate the shooting.

MannyIsGod
07-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Fuck that. Anyone dumb enough to point a gun at a cop deserves to get shot

mugatu
07-17-2005, 08:19 PM
So if a mental person is waving a water gun they deserve to die also? what's wrong with just shooting him in the legg?

Tek_XX
07-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Clandestino why do you assume were gonna think this is the cops fault?

Tek_XX
07-17-2005, 08:22 PM
haha nevermind, thanks to mugato your assumption was correct.

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 08:22 PM
I hope you're not being serious. I know the details of both shootings and both were warranted.

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 08:25 PM
So if a mental person is waving a water gun they deserve to die also? what's wrong with just shooting him in the legg?

Officer are trained to shoot and kill- If someone is aiming a gun at me and I have to shoot him- I'm shooing to kill. I'm not going to risk 'shooting him in the leg'- there's a chance that the gun is still on him or nearby (if he drops it). Rule of thumb is- if you point a gun at someone- you better be prepared to shoot and kill.

PS. How does the officer know it's a water gun?

hunter-thereckoning
07-17-2005, 08:25 PM
don't aim the gun at the cop

pull the trigger at the cop

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 08:28 PM
don't aim the gun at the cop

pull the trigger at the cop

And in other news hunter=thereckoning is an idiot.

hunter-thereckoning
07-17-2005, 08:30 PM
don't try to get on my list

smeagol
07-17-2005, 08:31 PM
How can you aim your gun at a cop?

Stupid people walk among us . . .

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 08:35 PM

...said the lady in the pink dress.

3rdCoast
07-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Did you already goes to Mouse's?

07-17-2005, 08:39 PM

Lighten up Francis.

Sincerely,

Sgt. Hulka

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Did you already goes to Mouse's?

I am at Mouse's place.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-17-2005, 08:43 PM
This isn't the cops fault!!! How could you even think it was the cops fault!!!??? I mean if someone points a gun at you, what are you supposed to do? just stand there and get fucking shot?? I applaud the cop!

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 08:46 PM
This isn't the cops fault!!! How could you even think it was the cops fault!!!??? I mean if someone points a gun at you, what are you supposed to do? just stand there and get fucking shot?? I applaud the cop!

I actually don't think anyone in here (so far) believes it was the cop's fault.

smeagol
07-17-2005, 08:52 PM
I actually don't think anyone in here (so far) believes it was the cop's fault.
Except the guy who started the thread . . .

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-17-2005, 08:53 PM

Far be it for me to actually defend Clandestino but...

I sure hope you guys don't think this is the cop's fault...

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 08:53 PM

No. Go read the very first line of his post. It reads: I hope you don't think this is the cop's fault.

Yea, what johnny said...

Clandestino
07-17-2005, 09:00 PM
because anytime a cop shoots someone everyone always blames the cops...

Johnny Tightlips
07-17-2005, 09:01 PM

jochhejaam
07-17-2005, 09:17 PM

So if someone points a gun at you, you should first ask him if it's a toyor if he's mental? Also, if you shoot at his leg and miss (or hit) then he shoots you? Are you serious or just playing the devil's advocate? If you're serious.. :idiot

My sister-in-law is a Police Officer in Ohio and they are not trained to wound. If the situation is so serious that it merits shooting your firearm it is with the intention of it being lethal, period!

The Police Officer acted approtiately!

Earlier this year there was some idiot in Costa Rica who was dressed up in a Osama Bin Laden mask and as a prank he was jumping out and pointing a pellet gun at passerbys. He was shot by a taxi driver and it was deemed self-defense.

http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/9902

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-17-2005, 09:19 PM
When I went through the SAPD's Citizens Police Academy, they told us the exact same things.

Cops don't shoot their guns unless they're prepared to kill.

I think I even remember being told that you might even shoot until you're sure they're incapacitated, but I might be wrong about that.

SequSpur
07-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I agree that the cop should shoot the guy, however, there are different types of bullets that can cause unfatal harm so that a court of law can determine the death penalty.

jochhejaam
07-17-2005, 09:29 PM
yeah and i hear about these police officers in ohio shooting teenagers in the head anyway

I'm a firm believer in never trying to teach a pig to sing, it wastes my time and annoys the pig.

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
I agree that the cop should shoot the guy, however, there are different types of bullets that can cause unfatal harm so that a court of law can determine the death penalty.

Most police officers carry one weapon only. There are certified officers that carry a shotgun with the bean bag type but in these two last incidents (the one on Tuesday too)- there was no time to call for one of those. Shit happens...fast...you should know that mr I start sheyitt!

Samr
07-17-2005, 09:35 PM
For those of you with law enforcement experience- what is your take on the child that got killed because her father was using her as a human shield and the cops shot the guy?

I don't know the full story, except for what the media has reported, and even then the mass media tends to play to people's emotions.

So as an officer of the law, or someone who has taken said training, what is your take on how that was handled?

SequSpur
07-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, it's an ongoing debate as to police officers serving as executioners....

It's a damn shame that lives have to end that way because it's not the one who dies that has the problem, it's the family and the kids left behind.

Life taken away from a deadly bullet.

A toddler killed by a police officer? There has to be a better way.

SequSpur
07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
So as an officer of the law, or someone who has taken said training, what is your take on how that was handled?

Don't shoot.

Mr. Ash
07-17-2005, 09:41 PM
what's wrong with just shooting him in the legg?

Or shooting the gun out of his hand? Or doing a flying ninja kick to unarm him? Dude.

ZStomp
07-17-2005, 09:41 PM
For those of you with law enforcement experience- what is your take on the child that got killed because her father was using her as a human shield and the cops shot the guy?

I don't know the full story, except for what the media has reported, and even then the mass media tends to play to people's emotions.

Was the guy shot after the baby was killed? Need more..

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-17-2005, 09:43 PM

Misread your post. Thought you were talking about the original shooting.

Post deleted.

Steve Perry
07-17-2005, 10:35 PM
So if someone points a gun at you, you should first ask him if it's a toyor if he's mental?

this is not Iraq, there are many situations where a man is aiming his gun at many cops and they have used a negotiator to make him surrender peacfully.

Also, if you shoot at his leg and miss (or hit) then he shoots you?

Psssst! a quick heads up, Cops have what they call a bullet proof vest,they can take a hit in the chest area, this poor man could not,

Are you serious or just playing the devil's advocate? If you're serious.. :idiot

Psssst! just another heads up ,you can still make your points w/o the insults.

My sister-in-law is a Police Officer in Ohio
that explains the passion you have, now we know from this point on your Bias.

and they are not trained to wound. If the situation is so serious that it merits shooting your firearm it is with the intention of it being lethal, period!

pssssst! that's why they have stunn guns and rubber bullets also. this was a husband and wife fight, the man was drunk and upset, you folks in here act like you never had a meltdown before.

The Police Officer acted approtiately!

we may never know if that is a bias statement or not will we?

Earlier this year there was some idiot in Costa Rica who was dressed up in a Osama Bin Laden mask and as a prank he was jumping out and pointing a pellet gun at passerbys. He was shot by a taxi driver and it was deemed self-defense.

they also pray to a cow in that country, you think they have any credibility on this topic?

3rdCoast
07-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Look, God Damnit.

Do not put yourself in a questionable situation where police may or may not have to pull a gun on you.

Stay strait and narrow and you won't get shot. Simple as that.

3rdCoast
07-18-2005, 12:22 AM
I must say, I am saddened to see that foofida's avitar is no longer a frontal shot of two lustrious female breasts.

Also, the signature is good, but not quite Cool Ethan.

Banjo Boy
07-18-2005, 01:32 AM
I have a meltdown, chances are I wont aim a gun at a police officer.

At least not in San Antonio :lmao

thispego
07-18-2005, 02:27 AM
clandestino, you suck bitch
you're soooooo American, my god, what a patriot
seriously dude, you're the most patritotic person on this forum....

jochhejaam
07-18-2005, 06:55 AM
Psssst! just another heads up ,you can still make your points w/o the insults.

Costa Rican's, they also pray to a cow in that country, you think they have any credibility on this topic?

Magatu brought the insult upon himself, I just brought it to his attention.

What did the 4 million Costa Rican's do to you to deserve your insult to them?

(BTW, their main religion is Christianity (Roman Catholic, Evangelical) and they don't worship cows)

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-18-2005, 08:42 AM
This case just got more interesting.

-----

Man Killed in Possible Suicide-by-Officer

A police officer shot and killed a man early Sunday morning, but it looks like the suspect may have planned it that way.

A 14-year-old boy called police to his house on Belclaire, saying his dad and his future step-mom were fighting..

"Officers went back to the garage," said SAPD Officer Joe Rios. "(They) heard the arguing, heard a struggle inside, heard the commotion."

Police found Stephen Hastings, 44, and a woman struggling over a gun.

"Officers drew their service weapons and ordered the suspect to drop the weapon," said Rios.

Police say the woman then backed away and Hastings pointed his gun at the officer.

"The officer fired one time striking him in the chest," said Rios.

Hastings was killed after that shot severed his spinal cord, but according to the police report, that's what he wanted. Family members told police Hastings drank six beers, was on anti-depressants, and threatened to end his own life.

"We didn't have any prior knowledge before walking in that could have been the case," said Rios. "In that timing, it was such a split-second decision."

The police report also says when Hastings' fiancé told him police were on their way, he said, 'You did me a favor by calling police. I am going to point the gun at them and they will shoot me.'

That's exactly what happened.

"The officers are also going through a traumatic experience," said Rios. "The last thing they ever want to do is take somebody's life."

The officer who fired the shot is a 17-year-veteran of the police department. He's now on desk duty while the department investigates.

http://woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=C4338BB2-3C25-4A6B-B339-49AD641B9C34

GrandeDavid
07-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Fuck that. Anyone dumb enough to point a gun at a cop deserves to get shot

That about sums up my point-of-view on this subject as well.

Clandestino
07-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Psssst! a quick heads up, Cops have what they call a bullet proof vest,they can take a hit in the chest area, this poor man could not,

but do they have something that protects their face, arms, legs, etc???

xcoriate
07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
anyone trying to base judgement on the points conveyed in these articles is delusional. Seriously you cannot base a who was right/wrong of what we know from these articles. Theres too many circumstances that we don't know especially now that its been revealed it was a possible suicide attempt.

xcoriate
07-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Oh, just another reason to ban guns.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Oh, just another reason to ban guns.

Geez! Here we go...

SequSpur
07-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Great, a police officer shot a drunk.

xcoriate
07-19-2005, 03:41 AM
Geez! Here we go...

Well hey it not really y problem, but I'll tell you one thing. This problem is virtually non existent in Australia. Theres just no access to the weapons.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 04:03 AM
How about making a gun from your index and thumb?

Would I get shot?

How about if I pointed these guns (flexes arms) at the police?

Would I be shot?

No seriously... I want to know. :lol

ZStomp
07-19-2005, 05:03 AM
How about making a gun from your index and thumb?

Would I get shot?

How about if I pointed these guns (flexes arms) at the police?

Would I be shot?

No seriously... I want to know. :lol

Why don't you try it? I'm sure ALL OF US want to know. :lol

Clandestino
07-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Well hey it not really y problem, but I'll tell you one thing. This problem is virtually non existent in Australia. Theres just no access to the weapons.

I'm sure only the law abiding citizens don't have weapons and the criminals do.. that makes you feel better?

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-19-2005, 08:46 AM

Trade the right to bear arms for censorship?

No, thanks.

xcoriate
07-19-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm sure only the law abiding citizens don't have weapons and the criminals do.. that makes you feel better?

Uh, yeah. So yeah criminals will obviously attain weapons, but not easily and on a whim as in the case in this article. You can't have a marital argument turn ino a deadly gun fight if the guns aren't there.

Whats the point in a police force if you want to enforce it yourself?

xcoriate
07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Trade the right to bear arms for censorship?

No, thanks.

don't see where your going with this.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-19-2005, 08:08 PM
don't see where your going with this.

Doesn't Austrailia ban certain films, games, etc.?

I believe so because I've helped a friend of mine that runs an Aussie Gaming Web site in reviewing games he has trouble getting.