PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Kobe to Dwight: Let me teach you how to be a champion

StrengthAndHonor
07-03-2013, 04:54 PM
When Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant spoke to Dwight Howard on Tuesday, his words to the free-agent center resounded an unmistakable and unflinching message: Let me teach you how to be a champion.

"You need to learn how it's done first, and I can teach you here," Bryant told Howard during the Lakers' presentation, witnesses in the room described to Yahoo! Sports.

Bryant didn't come to Howard's recruitment meeting in Beverly Hills to appease him, but to challenge Howard to stay and embrace the burden of the franchise's culture and embrace Bryant's demanding disposition. Bryant invoked Michael Jordan's hard-driving ways as his blueprint, and how it pushed the Chicago Bulls to six titles.

Bryant, a five-time NBA champion, insisted he wouldn't retreat in pushing Howard every day, that as much as the Lakers needed Howard, Howard needed Bryant and the Lakers, too.

"You have to learn how it's done," Bryant told Howard, witnesses described. "I know how to do it and I've learned from the best – players who have won multiple times over and over."

"Instead of trying to do things your way, just listen and learn and tweak it, so it fits you," Bryant told him.

Howard has retreated to Colorado for a few days, surrounded by representatives, to make a decision on his future. The Lakers are fighting frontrunner Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and Golden State to sign him.

At times in the 2012-13 season, Bryant and Howard clashed over decidedly different day-to-day approaches to the game. Away from the floor, Howard's lighthearted tomfoolery clashed with Bryant's relentlessly serious-minded way. Bryant is rehabilitating a torn Achilles, but is expected to be back early in the Lakers season.

Before the Lakers ever traded for Howard a year ago, each player had reservations about playing together, about how they would blend. As the Lakers struggled, the construction of a relationship was clearly strained, but there were times when they found common ground.
If this was goodbye between them on Tuesday, Bryant had gone out the way he had come into a relationship with Howard: telling him his basketball truths, his beliefs, his way.

"You have to learn how it's done," Bryant told Dwight Howard on the way out of the Lakers, or maybe the way back into them.
Only now, Dwight Howard gets the final word.

Thebesteva
07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Well now we know he's def not coming back

StrengthAndHonor
07-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Yup^

Kobe's probably the worst leader out there but he dropped a lot of truth bombs there. Dwight is not about the pressure, he wants to have fun and win. Two totally different mindsets which is probably one of the main reason Dwight is not re-signing with the Lakers.

Big Empty
07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
LOL kobe's right. But the pussy Howard is hes gonna have to go get a prescription from his Gynocologist after that ego check.

AchillesHeel
07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Basically Kirby is daring Dwight to leave, tbh.

Koolaid_Man
07-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Yup^

Kobe's probably the worst leader out there but he dropped a lot of truth bombs there. Dwight is not about the pressure, he wants to have fun and win. Two totally different mindsets which is probably one of the main reason Dwight is not re-signing with the Lakers.

Kobe's the best leader....when you put pressure on teammates just by your presence alone...that speaks volumes and it makes people better because it makes them commit to themselves....hence becoming better players something that no amount of passes or assists can achieve.

Dwight is not ready for that old throw back leadership...but I still doubts he leaves 30 large on the table

jeebus
07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Kobe pitching to Coward is probably the best chess piece Houston has. Everything Kirbs said in that meeting was music to the Rocket's ears.

UZER
07-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Kobe getting desperate.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I think the most important thing that Kobe could teach Dwight is that a girl can't get pregnant if you PIITB.

Josepatches_
07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Those words are exactly what Howard didn't want to hear.

Baseline
07-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Basically Kirby is daring Dwight to leave, tbh. This is really astounding. The Lakers have let Bryant run the franchise since 20004 - when he ran Shaquille out of town. Had David Stern not rigged that Pau Gasol trade, Bryant would only have the Shaquille rings and nothing more than a few first round exits, and even an entire miss of the playoffs (in 2005). Yet even with one leg now, they continue to let this fool dictate 99% of franchise policy. Honestly, the whole thing defies reality.

marinoman
07-03-2013, 06:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ubHhgod.jpg

MeloHype
07-03-2013, 06:47 PM
"Howard has retreated to Colorado for a few days"

10 year anniversary tbh

spurraider21
07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Let me teach you how to be a champion? So Kobe told Dwight to find ANOTHER hall of fame big to coattail?

King Nupe
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Let me teach you how to be a champion? So Kobe told Dwight to find ANOTHER hall of fame big to coattail?

Kobe won with 1 HOF each title...
Duncan won with 3 Each title....

spurraider21
07-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Kobe won with 1 HOF each title...
Duncan won with 3 Each title....

neither manu, tony, nor robinson were hall of fame caliber players in 03. who were the 3 hall of famers duncan won with in 99?

King Nupe
07-03-2013, 08:13 PM
neither manu, tony, nor robinson were hall of fame caliber players in 03. who were the 3 hall of famers duncan won with in 99?

Ok, then Shaq and Gasol weren't HOF players in their first championship.

spurraider21
07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Ok, then Shaq and Gasol weren't HOF players in their first championship.
Wasn't Stephen Jackson the spurs 2nd leading scorer in those playoffs? :lol

manu was a rook and TP was in his 2nd year. They weren't even all star level players.

And who were the 3 hall of famers in 99 again? Dodged that one

DPG21920
07-03-2013, 08:55 PM
"Let me teach you how to be a champion. Here, you see this? This is a custom jacket with extra long coattails. Put this on.."

callo1
07-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Howard has retreated to Colorado for a few days, surrounded by representatives, to make a decision on his future. The Lakers are fighting frontrunner Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and Golden State to sign him.

Looks like Kobe is already teaching him something...maybe he will "tweak" things and not have more illegitimate children.

StrengthAndHonor
07-03-2013, 09:46 PM
The odds are stacked against the Lakers. I'm sure he's all in with Houston.

Venti Quattro
07-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Lol Dwight is surely not signing with LA now. Kobe uttered the words "Champion", something Dwight will never be.

Bill_Brasky
07-03-2013, 10:18 PM
He needs to teach him how to lead a team to higher than a 7 seed first.

whitemamba
07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Kobe mind fucking dwight :lol

Thread
07-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Kobe Bryant

InRareForm
07-03-2013, 11:06 PM
I think Phil Jackson told Kobe what to say tbh..

whitemamba
07-03-2013, 11:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ubHhgod.jpg

This picture never gets old.

Thread
07-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I think Phil Jackson told Kobe what to say tbh..

See, even RF is duly impressed.

unforeseen
07-03-2013, 11:29 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/heat_fusion/xinsrc_179484a8fb0011d7b21c00010313.jpg

Koolaid_Man
07-03-2013, 11:35 PM
This picture never gets old.

neither does the actual vid: :lmao

8p5M6KKx6GA

Sean Cagney
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
LOL kobe's right. But the pussy Howard is hes gonna have to go get a prescription from his Gynocologist after that ego check.

YEP.........

Venti Quattro
07-04-2013, 12:34 AM
The longer his decision drags on , the more likely he is to stay..... return to what's familiar. Kobe is daring Dwight to leave........ if Howard was really so enamored with Houston or Dallas he would of committed by now. Not like he hasn't had over a year to think about this
:cry :cry :cry

whitemamba
07-04-2013, 11:35 AM
neither does the actual vid: :lmao

8p5M6KKx6GA

Tbh kool, I literally watched that exact video when I saw that pic again. Nigga dwight gettin baptized :lol

dbreiden83080
07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
So Houston it is..

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2013, 12:51 PM
coatriding talking about teaching someone to win rings? hahahaha kome

ambchang
07-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Coattailing cannot be taught, tbh.

Thread
07-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Coattailing cannot be taught, tbh.

Nice to see you down here finally, Amb.

I won't bust your crack.

ambchang
07-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Nice to see you down here finally, Amb.

I won't bust your crack.

Not nice to see you though. I would have respected you if you decide to stay away from the forums for a longer time, but coming out right after game 7 was a bush league move, even for you.

Thread
07-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Not nice to see you though. I would have respected you if you decide to stay away from the forums for a longer time, but coming out right after game 7 was a bush league move, even for you.

Don't ask me to then. When you were zeroing in on it I was inundated with requests, demands, beseechements to return.

Make up your mind, or, learn how to make a fucking layup.

- Pappy

ambchang
07-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Don't ask me to then. When you were zeroing in on it I was inundated with requests, demands, beseechements to return.

Make up your mind, or, learn how to make a fucking layup.

- Pappy

Did I ask you to? Stop grouping everyone with you imaginary friends.

Thread
07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Did I ask you to? Stop grouping everyone with you imaginary friends.

Don't be purposely obtuse. Otherwise, I'll cast your down with the sodomites & Ray Allen.

ambchang
07-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Don't be purposely obtuse. Otherwise, I'll cast your down with the sodomites & Ray Allen.

Lol. Me being obtuse? Gimme a break. Otherwise, I will cast your down with the ... Sorry. Too many players who have roasted the Lakers this year.

Thread
07-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Lol. Me being obtuse? Gimme a break. Otherwise, I will cast your down with the ... Sorry. Too many players who have roasted the Lakers this year.

& only took one to cook your goose.

tee, hee.

Relevancy
07-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Coattailing cannot be taught, tbh.Wait so let me get this clear, you still live your fame of downplaying (Kobe Bryant) in 2013? When he's almost on his way out? Will that be your legacy?

Kobe Bryant is considered to be a Top 10 player of all time by the majority, that's his legacy, while your legacy will be in a message board pretending your stating facts about him.

Thread
07-04-2013, 07:23 PM
^P.S., go back upstairs and fuck your mother some more, Amb.

ambchang
07-04-2013, 08:50 PM
& only took one to cook your goose.

tee, hee.

The lakers were cooked, eaten and shat out before the spurs were even feathered.

Thread
07-04-2013, 08:52 PM
The lakers were cooked, eaten and shat out before the spurs were even feathered.

& in the end you were right next us, in last place. Ya had 5 in your pocket and had to give it back.

Tougheth lucketh.

ambchang
07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Wait so let me get this clear, you still live your fame of downplaying (Kobe Bryant) in 2013? When he's almost on his way out? Will that be your legacy?

Kobe Bryant is considered to be a Top 10 player of all time by the majority, that's his legacy, while your legacy will be in a message board pretending your stating facts about him.

I guess your legacy is living in the glory of Kobe being a 10 player of all time.

I envy your success. Good for you.

Btw, Kobe's coat tailing was done more than a decade ago. Learn the history of your reflected legacy.

ambchang
07-04-2013, 08:54 PM
& in the end you were right next us, in last place. Ya had 5 in your pocket and had to give it back.

Tougheth lucketh.

But 8 was such a big deal. Why is everyone equal now?

Thread
07-04-2013, 08:57 PM
But 8 was such a big deal. Why is everyone equal now?

Because that's how it started out when it was the Celtics pounding our ass....nothing counted unless you made the playoffs and won the last game you played. I had nary other choice but to buy in and wait for my chance to soak up some that gravy whilst it was still hot. Sure as shit '85 rolled around and up and I ain't looked back. But, we ain't changing the protocol, it's still all, or, it's nothing....

Kobe: 5

the tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

See ya on the seesaw, Cindy.

ambchang
07-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Because that's how it started out when it was the Celtics pounding our ass....nothing counted unless you made the playoffs and won the last game you played. I had nary other choice but to buy in and wait for my chance to soak up some that gravy whilst it was still hot. Sure as shit '85 rolled around and up and I ain't looked back. But, we ain't changing the protocol, it's still all, or, it's nothing....

Kobe: 5

the tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

See ya on the seesaw, Cindy.

All fine and good. So what is the significance of 8 and 6?

Thread
07-04-2013, 09:28 PM
All fine and good. So what is the significance of 8 and 6?

8 was the 8th seed Memphis who beat ya.

6 was 4 turned to 5 and then died at 6.

tmtcsc
07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Not sure what all the drama is about...Dwight Howard has an easy decision to make. He's not about winning, he's about $$. He will stay with the Lakers when its all said and done and get paid. However, he will remain unhappy and will be a rich loser...which he has been for the last few years.

The surprising thing here is that the Lakers would want him back or would be against sign&trading his ass away. Just a sorry, sorry individual.

gnsf0946
07-04-2013, 09:46 PM

surprisingly it took us only 2 years to achieve all that, not bad imo tbh

Thread
07-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Not sure what all the drama is about...Dwight Howard has an easy decision to make. He's not about winning, he's about $$. He will stay with the Lakers when its all said and done and get paid. However, he will remain unhappy and will be a rich loser...which he has been for the last few years.

The surprising thing here is that the Lakers would want him back or would be against sign&trading his ass away. Just a sorry, sorry individual.

It is surprising and disappointing, like the billboard strategy, but, they won't be able to stick with their refusal to s&t if he rejects them. Kobe won't permit it. He's not going to sit still for a year and vegetate. He'll demand that they take back value to within 15% of the $20 million. And he should. Otherwise he'd be delinquent in his role as leader.

Thread
07-04-2013, 09:58 PM
surprisingly it took us only 2 years to achieve all that, not bad imo tbh

Well, you silly SOB, you--you didn't achieve anything.

dbestpro
07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
So when someone says to you the only way you will win is with me. the reply for anyone who has one competitive bone in their body will say see later.

The truth is Howard deserves every insult ever thrown at him if he resigns based off of what Kobe said. Howard almost has to sign with another team just to prove that he is still his own man. Bryant is a great ball player, but he sucks as a leader. A leader knows what to say and when to say it based off of each person they are trying to lead. Kobe just tries to lead with his ego. I almost feel sorry for Lakerfan.

Thread
07-04-2013, 10:11 PM
So when someone says to you the only way you will win is with me. the reply for anyone who has one competitive bone in their body will say see later.

The truth is Howard deserves every insult ever thrown at him if he resigns based off of what Kobe said. Howard almost has to sign with another team just to prove that he is still his own man. Bryant is a great ball player, but he sucks as a leader. A leader knows what to say and when to say it based off of each person they are trying to lead. Kobe just tries to lead with his ego. I almost feel sorry for Lakerfan.

Okay, db, best Kobe, in a nutshell, go ahead, I'm genuinely curious as to what you would say to Howard.

dbestpro
07-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Howard wants to be the guy. So you tell him he is gonna be the guy and you are gonna do everything you can to make him the guy. In other words you do what every good politician or leader does. You tell them what they want to hear. You never see a good motivational speaker tell someone you suck and can't succeed by yourself or you can only succeed by working with someone better than you. It is always about getting the subordinate to believe in oneself, and to let them know that everyone else believes in them too.

Thread
07-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Howard wants to be the guy. So you tell him he is gonna be the guy and you are gonna do everything you can to make him the guy. In other words you do what every good politician or leader does. You tell them what they want to hear. You never see a good motivational speaker tell someone you suck and can't succeed by yourself or you can only succeed by working with someone better than you. It is always about getting the subordinate to believe in oneself, and to let them know that everyone else believes in them too.

Then you'd have to trade Kobe, or, call LAPD SWAT.

You can't forsake Kobe for Howard. Though the idea is intriguing on some kind of fresh level. I think I've been sitting here too long and I've taken root in the fucking vinyl.

Mori Chu
07-04-2013, 11:29 PM
The right thing for Kobe to say would have been: In 2013-14 this will be our team, you and me. I can get to 6 and you can get a ring, but I need you. We can do it together. We can make each other better. I have been there and I know how to get back again, and I am sure as hell not done yet. And you are a beast inside and you're in your prime. Together we can do it. And we both know you have a lot more years left than me, so in a year or two this will be Dwight's team and you will own LA. And there ain't nothing like owning LA. Stay here with me.

Thread
07-04-2013, 11:30 PM
^A decent alternative.

Blind Witness
07-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Kobe's the best leader....when you put pressure on teammates just by your presence alone...that speaks volumes and it makes people better because it makes them commit to themselves....hence becoming better players something that no amount of passes or assists can achieve.

Dwight is not ready for that old throw back leadership...but I still doubts he leaves 30 large on the table

True words, but Dwight is weak. I think even he knows he will wither before Kobe during the entirety of the season unless they're consistently winning (which is of course more than possibble) and I think it gives him pause.

The man's weak and he'd rather have fun than face the ever-burning crucible of Bryant's winning desire.

Hence- I think he bolts to Houston.

Thread
07-04-2013, 11:40 PM
True words, but Dwight is weak. I think even he knows he will wither before Kobe during the entirety of the season unless they're consistently winning (which is of course more than possibble) and I think it gives him pause.

The man's weak and he'd rather have fun than face the ever-burning crucible of Bryant's winning desire.

Hence- I think he bolts to Houston.

Sad, but true, it's not a movie script, it's reality and Blinds is accurate:::Howard is weak.

What a pisser.

Blind Witness
07-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Sad, but true, it's not a movie script, it's reality and Blinds is accurate:::Howard is weak.

What a pisser.

I actually would admire him if he stayed.

Most would say it's because of the money, but I think he's so sensitive, that he would be willing sacrifice to be where he's happy and winning than unhappy and struggling (in his mind) to win. He'd also be looked upon like a near-deity in Houston for his "Unprecedented" move, for less money from the Lakers. He'd be worshipped and I'm sure that's been whispered in his ear by somebody.

I would admire him if he stayed because that would mean that he commited to Kobe.
Kobe's gambit was kind of an all-or-nothing approach- you want a ring? I'll show you the way. No? You're too weak for me.
I'm paying attention to this with much interest because it will show a lot into Dwight's psyche going into the end of his salad days.

ambchang
07-05-2013, 06:31 AM

What's the significance was what I asked, not what they mean.

You claimed everybody ended up last and that is all that mattered (except the Heat) of course. But then you are clearly putting credence in 8 and 6.

You self contradicting coward.

Thread
07-05-2013, 07:57 AM

You claimed everybody ended up last and that is all that mattered (except the Heat) of course. But then you are clearly putting credence in 8 and 6.

monosylab1k
07-05-2013, 08:06 AM

http://www.businessinsider.com/image/50e49451eab8ea946c00001a/clowney-hit.gif

Relevancy
07-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I guess your legacy is living in the glory of Kobe being a 10 player of all time.

I envy your success. Good for you.

Btw, Kobe's coat tailing was done more than a decade ago. Learn the history of your reflected legacy.I don't see the point in arguing with you, but I'll keep feeding whatever ego you have because I'm bored, you might ask yourself, what ego is this guy talking about? Well the ego of sitting in a chair and somehow thinking whatever your little fingers type is the actual truth and there's no arguing against it, I don't spend my time going into Kobe threads every time one is made, you know why? because of what he has contributed to the Lakers, 5 rings during his regime.

What did I say? 5 rings? how to you spin that amb, let me see what you have to say about him winning 5 rings.

ambchang
07-05-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't see the point in arguing with you, but I'll keep feeding whatever ego you have because I'm bored, you might ask yourself, what ego is this guy talking about? Well the ego of sitting in a chair and somehow thinking whatever your little fingers type is the actual truth and there's no arguing against it, I don't spend my time going into Kobe threads every time one is made, you know why? because of what he has contributed to the Lakers, 5 rings during his regime.

What did I say? 5 rings? how to you spin that amb, let me see what you have to say about him winning 5 rings.

I see that are standing in front of your computer, something thinking whatever your fat toes type is all wrong and everybody has to argue against it.

And you saying you don't go into every thread about Kobe BECAUSE he has contributed 5 rings to the Lakers? What does that have to do with each other? Kobe won 5 rings as a member of the Lakers. Great, how does that stop you or discourage you from going into every Kobe related thread? I just don't get it? Perhaps you could explain that in more detail?

And him winning 5 rings ... so? Am I supposed to care about that? If so, why? Am I supposed to be proud of a person I have no relationship with whatsoever doing something that does not concern or affect me one way or another?

My advice to you, next time you are bored, and I am assuming you are bored because you have too much time on your hands, think through what you have to type, because what you just did made no sense whatsoever. With the time on your hands, you can do a whole lot better.

Alternatively, if you have a lot to do, and you are just bored because you have some kind of autism or attention deficit disorder, go see a social worker.

Relevancy
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I see that are standing in front of your computer, something thinking whatever your fat toes type is all wrong and everybody has to argue against it.

And you saying you don't go into every thread about Kobe BECAUSE he has contributed 5 rings to the Lakers? What does that have to do with each other? Kobe won 5 rings as a member of the Lakers. Great, how does that stop you or discourage you from going into every Kobe related thread? I just don't get it? Perhaps you could explain that in more detail?

And him winning 5 rings ... so? Am I supposed to care about that? If so, why? Am I supposed to be proud of a person I have no relationship with whatsoever doing something that does not concern or affect me one way or another?

My advice to you, next time you are bored, and I am assuming you are bored because you have too much time on your hands, think through what you have to type, because what you just did made no sense whatsoever. With the time on your hands, you can do a whole lot better.

Alternatively, if you have a lot to do, and you are just bored because you have some kind of autism or attention deficit disorder, go see a social worker.All I can say about this post is... Lol full of lol's, like laugh out loud type of post.:lmao

ambchang
07-05-2013, 01:43 PM
All I can say about this post is... Lol full of lol's, like laugh out loud type of post.:lmao

Yeah, pointing out your logical inconsistencies is very lol worthy.

You are so proud of not posting in every Kobe thread, you should put it on a plaque, frame it, and have it signed by Kobe next to the 5 imitation rings you have.

Indazone
07-05-2013, 01:47 PM
watch Kobe be a shell of the player he once was after this surgery.

da_suns_fan
07-05-2013, 01:50 PM
The right thing for Kobe to say would have been: In 2013-14 this will be our team, you and me. I can get to 6 and you can get a ring, but I need you. We can do it together. We can make each other better. I have been there and I know how to get back again, and I am sure as hell not done yet. And you are a beast inside and you're in your prime. Together we can do it. And we both know you have a lot more years left than me, so in a year or two this will be Dwight's team and you will own LA. And there ain't nothing like owning LA. Stay here with me.

You speak as if Kobe is a non-sociopath and has an ounce of humility. Hes on the same wavelength of Jodi Arias.

Michael Jordan.
08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
:lol

Arnold Toht
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Dwight's a piece of shit

Michael Jordan.
08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
:lol

Axegrinder
08-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Dwight's a piece of shitSquirting tears

Kool Bob Love
08-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Dwight's a piece of shit

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/dwight-howard-you-mad-elite-daily.jpg

Rogue
08-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Dwight's a piece of shit
He ain't a piece of shit. A piece of shit was what he always got owned by back in the day when that "piece of shit" was still playing.

lakerhaterade
08-14-2013, 08:52 PM
He ain't a piece of shit. A piece of shit was what he always got owned by back in the day when that "piece of shit" was still playing.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1107/nba-yao-ming-rare-photos/images/yao-ming-076231970.jpg

Michael Jordan.
09-21-2013, 11:15 AM

:lmao

Michael Jordan.
10-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Begging

Clipper Nation
10-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Dwight's a piece of shit
:cry