PDA

View Full Version : Declare your independence from cliffdivers, whiners, and haters!

dallasmaverickslose
07-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Gentlemen as our great nation's birthday approaches, I believe it would be appropriate to take this time to declare your independence from some Spurs "fans" who have shown their true colors as cliffdivers, whiners, and haters of any particular person that is a part of this OUTSTANDING basketball club! We declare our independence for you!

Go Spurs Go and Go USA Go!!! :flag:

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Gentlemen as our great nation's birthday approaches, I believe it would be appropriate to take this time to declare your independence from some Spurs "fans" who have shown their true colors as cliffdivers, whiners, and haters of any particular person that is a part of this OUTSTANDING basketball club! We declare our independence for you!

Definitino of a homer - Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=homer

spurraider21
07-03-2013, 07:39 PM
pretty sure most fans of teams are homers by definition. fan is short for fanatic. blind loyalty means i'll never disown my spurs. no matter what moves they make, i'll never jump ship and become a Laker fan. if you call that being a homer, then scew it, im a homer. spurs fan till the end. i'll cheer for them every step of the way

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 07:42 PM
pretty sure most fans of teams are homers by definition. fan is short for fanatic. blind loyalty means i'll never disown my spurs. no matter what moves they make, i'll never jump ship and become a Laker fan. if you call that being a homer, then scew it, im a homer. spurs fan till the end. i'll cheer for them every step of the wayhttp://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/sluggo/bravo.gif

dallasmaverickslose
07-03-2013, 07:47 PM
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/sluggo/bravo.gif

TheGreatYacht in mega desperation mode using everything in his arsenal. Too bad it doesn't work!

Marrow
07-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Definitino of a homer - Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

The way you bolded the characteristics of what makes someone a homer has truly converted me and now I can see the light. I'm forever grateful

Sarcasm - The use of irony to mock or convey contempt

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2013, 07:49 PM
TheGreatYacht in mega desperation mode using everything in his arsenal. Too bad it doesn't work!What exactly am I trying to accomplish?

TheGoldStandard
07-03-2013, 07:50 PM
I reserve the right to bitch and moan about players because I'm passionate about basketball and about the Spurs. I may be wrong a lot and I may let my emotions dictate some of the things I say at times but I'll ride with the Spurs forever.

dallasmaverickslose
07-03-2013, 07:50 PM
What exactly am I trying to accomplish?

I don't know you tell me!

texmich
07-03-2013, 07:51 PM
No one is saying anything about disowning them or not being a fan, but it is the off season the time of year where most people talk with other fans about how their team can get better. Its fun and actually makes u think of ways for ur team to get better, all fans may not agree with eachothers ideas, but that's what they are, just personal ideas. The problem here is you must cheerlead every spurs FO decision or you are ridiculed. Who would honestly come to spurstalk, if everyones posts were: I love my team, great job by manu tonite, lets give pop a raise, the spurs are my favorite team, tiago is the best, is manu the best 6th man to ever play, lol cmon disagreement fuels this board and yall kno n love it

dallasmaverickslose
07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
No one is saying anything about disowning them or not being a fan, but it is the off season the time of year where most people talk with other fans about how their team can get better. Its fun and actually makes u think of ways for ur team to get better, all fans not agree with ideas, but that's what they are, just personal ideas. The problem here is you must cheerlead every spurs FO decision or you are ridiculed. Who would honestly come to spurstalk, if everyones posts were: I love my team, great job by manu tonite, lets give pop a raise, the spurs are my favorite team, tiago is the best, is manu the best 6th man to ever play, lol cmon disagreement fuels this board and yall kno n love it

Honestly that would be awesome. Have a good day.

ihustle
07-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Shutup bitch

dallasmaverickslose
07-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Shutup bitch

Quality 5th post bro.

ihustle
07-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Quality 5th post bro.
Please shutup bitch?

elmanutres
07-04-2013, 12:33 AM
we should get anonymous to hack spurstalk and delete every british, i mean pop and manu haters from this forum.

ihustle
07-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Who's a manu hater? Hes done, thats not hating, thats a fact my man. If you stilll want to tickle his sack after 8 turnovers in game 6 and the horrible to's at the end if 7 then go for it.

Salty
07-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Who's a manu hater? Hes done, thats not hating, thats a fact my man. If you stilll want to tickle his sack after 8 turnovers in game 6 and the horrible to's at the end if 7 then go for it.

http://s3.favim.com/orig/44/shut-up-Favim.com-369715.gif

quentin_compson
07-04-2013, 01:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P5xSntVWQE

SnakeBoy
07-04-2013, 02:09 AM

1. Anti-fan
Any fangirl/boy who purports to be a fan but who is actually engaged in dissing down, covertly or overtly, the object of a fandom, often for hidden agendas of their own; any fan who approaches their fan subject from the viewpoint of hiding their criticism under a false facade of appreciation; anyone offering veiled criticism as 'friendly' advice; anyone offering unwanted critiques, analysis or opinions which are thinly or poorly-veiled attacks or backstabbing. Anti-fans often purposefully start flame wars. Key style of an anti-fan is to appear reasonable and concerned at all times, often quoting dubious "sources" in their arguments.

2. Anti-fan
A person who is not a fan of something, but can't help but be drawn to the subject. One who hates a band, form of music, movie, or movie series, politician, political party, car, TV series etc. so much that he/she likes to hate it. An anti-fan is very knowledgeable about the subject they love to diss.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anti-fan

Kidd K
07-04-2013, 02:31 AM
1. Anti-fan
Any fangirl/boy who purports to be a fan but who is actually engaged in dissing down, covertly or overtly, the object of a fandom, often for hidden agendas of their own; any fan who approaches their fan subject from the viewpoint of hiding their criticism under a false facade of appreciation; anyone offering veiled criticism as 'friendly' advice; anyone offering unwanted critiques, analysis or opinions which are thinly or poorly-veiled attacks or backstabbing. Anti-fans often purposefully start flame wars. Key style of an anti-fan is to appear reasonable and concerned at all times, often quoting dubious "sources" in their arguments.

2. Anti-fan
A person who is not a fan of something, but can't help but be drawn to the subject. One who hates a band, form of music, movie, or movie series, politician, political party, car, TV series etc. so much that he/she likes to hate it. An anti-fan is very knowledgeable about the subject they love to diss.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anti-fan

That isn't what Great Yacht is. That's what DMC is.

Great Yacht is just more loud and aggressive with his opinions than most. You may not like that, but having read his posts throughout the season, I can say he definitely isn't an anti-fan.

This is the offseason. Fans are bound to be disappointed in the lack of roster changes their team makes. . .especially when the best player to ever grace their team is about to retire in a couple years. Speaking for myself, it pisses me off that Duncan was not given any additional help this offseason. It's not over yet, but shaking the logical 8 ball, "all signs point to no" is all that keeps popping up. All we're gonna get is a shitty MLE at most.

SnakeBoy
07-04-2013, 03:01 AM
That isn't what Great Yacht is. That's what DMC is.

Great Yacht is just more loud and aggressive with his opinions than most. You may not like that, but having read his posts throughout the season, I can say he definitely isn't an anti-fan.

This is the offseason. Fans are bound to be disappointed in the lack of roster changes their team makes. . .especially when the best player to ever grace their team is about to retire in a couple years. Speaking for myself, it pisses me off that Duncan was not given any additional help this offseason. It's not over yet, but shaking the logical 8 ball, "all signs point to no" is all that keeps popping up. All we're gonna get is a shitty MLE at most.

I haven't followed his posts but after taking a quick look at his past posts, yes you are right. Perhaps CORFer would be a better description...

Basking in Glory and Cutting off Failure
by
Merritt Posten

Why is it that the day after a "big win" everyone pulls out their old sweatshirts and tee shirts, that haven’t been worn since the team last won a game two years ago, and proudly displays their school colors or team logos? Or right after a team wins a championship the sales of their products sky rocket until another team wins the next year? This phenomena has been labeled by social psychologists as BIRGing and CORFing. BIRGing is an arconym for Basking in Reflected Glory and CORFing means Cutting Off Reflected Failure. One of the most influential studies of this phenomena was done by Cialdini et al. in 1976. et al. It provided the support for BIRGing by conducting a study that showed how undergraduate students at six different universities were more likely to wear their university affiliated apparel the Monday morning after a victorious football weekend. They also found that the college students were more likely to use the pronoun "we" after a successful athletic weekend than if their team had lost. The students sought to have the success of the team linked to themselves by wearing school identifying clothing.

The concept of BIRGing is rooted in the social identity theory which explains how one’s self esteem and evaluation can be enhanced by the identification with another person’s success. One of the keys to BIRGing is that the person trying to receive this glory has done nothing tangible to bring the team’s success (Hirt et al. 1992). They are truly basking in reflected glory not earned. When a person’s public image is threatened the tendency to BIRG is even stronger, and BIRGing becomes an important impression management technique to counter any threats to self esteem (Lee 1985). [photo courtesy of Sparodi & the Florida Marlins]

The different levels of commitment that a fan might have towards a team dictate the degree to which he or she can distance him or herself from that team when failure occurs. If a fan is strongly allied, the social identity theory states that it will be hard for them to distance themselves, and therefore, to not threaten their self esteem, the fans must attribute the loss to external cues of the situation but not the team itself. If a person is not so closely linked they then engage in the phenomena of CORFing, which means cutting off reflected failure, done by distancing themselves as far as possible from the losing team. (Cialdini & Richardson 1980). These fans want to avoid any negative evaluations by others in relation to the team that was unsuccessful. The closer the identification to the team and the degree of commitment by the fan, the greater the risk the fan has of suffering a loss in self esteem if their team has lost.

Fans CORF in a variety of different ways. For example one might change the language they use to describe the game after a defeat or after a win. For example a Knicks basketball fan might not even know the psychological defenses he or she is using when they say, "We won" when the Knicks won and "They lost" or "the Knicks lost" when the team suffered a defeat. Fans might also distance themselves from the team by not wearing any team affiliated clothing after a loss and not supporting the team until mainhawk4.gif (6203 bytes)they win again. But as soon as the team is victorious, the individual will waste no time in associating with the team once again (Hirt et al. 1992).

Another way that fans can CORF is by "blasting". Blasting is a form of indirect self enhancement used when when self esteem is threatened. Cialdini and Richardson (1980) found and illustrated this phenomena by how university undergraduates blasted (criticized and degraded) the other universities when they received negative information about their own school. "Therefore if we wish to look good to observers, one option available to us would be to make those with whom we are negatively connected with look bad: to publicly blast the opposition"(Cialdini et al. 1980).

http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/fans/bc.shtml

Although what interesting about TGY's posts are that during the Spurs run he positioned himself to bask in reflective glory yet preemptively provided himself with someone to blame if they lost in order to avoid the hit to his low self esteem. This way even in the event of loss he could claim victory by declaring "I told you so". Typical avoidance mechanism of someone who has experienced repeated failure in life. It's kind of sad actually.

Man In Black
07-04-2013, 03:36 AM
Like Tim Duncan, I simply choose to not self-proclaim anything. While I can't play like Tim, I can post my ass off and let my posts wax poetic.

skulls138
07-04-2013, 03:57 AM

Hey STFU, pro basketball has nothing to do with our liberty. Moron.

dallasmaverickslose
07-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Hey STFU, pro basketball has nothing to do with our liberty. Moron.

That wasn't really the point I was trying to make with this thread, numbnuts.

xmas1997
07-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I have been an avid Spurs fan ever since their inception, but I do know better than to make stupid idiotic comments when I could say something more constructive instead. That is part and parcel of being a "mature" well adjusted individual. And it sure beats name calling and cussing which denotes an insecure, over emotional immature kid.

Capt Bringdown
07-04-2013, 10:11 AM
http://mondaymorningkickstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/rose_colored_glasses1.jpg
http://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/pollyanna-movie-poster.jpg

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2013, 02:24 PM
we should get anonymous to hack spurstalk and delete every british, i mean pop and manu haters from this forum.I don't want to hear anything negative about my team. Pop is the smartest man in the world. Manu Ginobili is better than Michael Jordan. I cover my ears when I hear someone say something bad about Manu or Pop. If I read that someone is criticizing Pop and Manu then that person don't know shi* about basketball. I wish that person didn't exist even though he's being objective and critical. The truth hurts my feelings.

- Spurs homer

elmanutres
07-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't want to hear anything negative about my team. Pop is the smartest man in the world. Manu Ginobili is greater than Michael Jordan. I cover my ears when I hear someone say something bad about Manu or Pop. If I read that someone is trashing Pop and Manu then that person don't know shi* about basketball. I wish that person didn't exist even though he's being objective and critical. The truth hurts my feelings.

- Spurs homer
i was actually joking but ok. you are quickly becoming the most annoying and stupid poster in spurstalk and now i can see why.

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2013, 02:35 PM
i was actually joking but ok. you are quickly becoming the most annoying and stupid poster in spurstalk and now i can see why.LOL. Why because I say things that you don't want to hear? I was just posting my opinions on a forum. I was respectful this whole time till you'll Popsuckers and Manu fan boys started idolizing me. You'll Spurs homers are the ones that started getting offended so I'm just retaliating. "Don't treat others the way you don't want to be treated."
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/8700000/Truth-Hurts-Lie-to-Me-promo-poster-lie-to-me-8783510-759-1024.jpg

Kidd K
07-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I haven't followed his posts but after taking a quick look at his past posts, yes you are right. Perhaps CORFer would be a better description...

Although what interesting about TGY's posts are that during the Spurs run he positioned himself to bask in reflective glory yet preemptively provided himself with someone to blame if they lost in order to avoid the hit to his low self esteem. This way even in the event of loss he could claim victory by declaring "I told you so". Typical avoidance mechanism of someone who has experienced repeated failure in life. It's kind of sad actually.

That was a pretty interesting read, thanks for posting it dude. :) I haven't heard of those terms before, but I've definitely known many people to act very similar to as described, so I know that is a pretty solid psychological theory.

Having read it though, I can surmise that he's also not a CORFer. Don't forget to read the parts both before and after your first bolded bit. It indicated that CORFers disassociate themsevles from the team after losses. In fact, the very next sentence perfectly describes the people Great Yacht has been arguing with: "These fans want to avoid any negative evaluations by others in relation to the team that was unsuccessful." In other words, they're cutting off reflected failure by burying their heads in the sand and making excuses. Instead, I have seen some even direct their ire at people like Great Yacht, literally blaming them for the team for the team losing rather than the actual players.

Meanwhile, just prior to that, it speaks on people who aren't CORFers: "If a fan is strongly allied (to the team), the social identity theory states that it will be hard for them to distance themselves, and therefore, to not threaten their self esteem, the fans must attribute the loss to external cues of the situation but not the team itself". Honestly, that's something I have done before, blaming the schedule for the Spurs' losses when they have 4 games in 5 nights for example.

Great Yacht is still talking about how the team can improve, and has been even-handed enough to speak about the negatives of the team and the offseason rather than bury his head in the sand and think the team will have a great chance to win again next year as if they're faultless. Yes perhaps he is putting too much blame on on source, but it's imo the most disappointing and most to blame sources of the team's failure in the Finals last year.

Anyway, even though I disagree on Great Yacht being a CORFer (BIGer would be more accurate, but I think we all may fall under that category tbh), thanks for posting that. It was fun to read and discuss. :)