PDA

View Full Version : Email from Ludden today, (Sunday 07-17)

Mavs<Spurs
07-17-2005, 10:41 PM
I sent an email to Mr. Ludden asking questions about the Oberto/Scola situation. Here is his response:

It's understandable Scola would be disappointed over not signing with the Spurs because he's anxious to get to the NBA. But whether he's angry matters not. The Spurs hold his rights until they decide to trade them. Scola's agents say the $14.5 million buyout applies only if Scola wants to go to another European team. They think they can get out of the contract to jump to the NBA for $3 million. The problem is the NBA buyout only references whether Scola is a first-round pick. Since he wasn't, Tau, according to the Spurs, can claim the NBA clause doesn't come into effect.

The thing people don't seem to understand is the buyout is Scola's responsibility not the Spurs. Under NBA rules, the Spurs can only give Tau $350,000. Why Scola hasn't been able to resolve it -- through arbitration or other means -- is only a question his agents can answer. A lot of times a European agent will try to use a large buyout as leverage for a bigger contract from an NBA team. Scola's agents said they just needed more time. The problem is this has been going on for three years and the Spurs weren't willing to risk losing Oberto to wait any longer.

I find it somewhat amusing that some fans are treating Scola as if he's the savior of the Spurs' franchise. I would guess that 90 percent of the people in S.A. haven't seen him play more than two games, if that. He's a good, solid player, but I don't think the Spurs had him penciled in for the All-Star Game just yet.

Don't forget the Spurs already have a pretty decent power forward. As well as a playoff-savvy vet backing him up. Throw Oberto into the mix and they should be fine. Their bigger problem is finding an athletic wing.

Thanks for reading,

:fro

Kori Ellis
07-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

midgetonadonkey
07-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Nice post. I think he is right on many fronts.

missmyzte
07-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Don't forget the Spurs already have a pretty decent power forward. As well as a playoff-savvy vet backing him up.

You mean Tim Duncan is pretty decent? And Horry is okay too? :lol

Mr. Body
07-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't think many people are pegging Scola to be the franchise savior. So much for Ludden's clairvoyance.

SequSpur
07-17-2005, 11:30 PM
The problem is that the media has been pushing Scola all year like he was definitely coming.

It it wasn't for media like Ludden, we wouldn't have known anything.

As far as Ludden saying we probably don't know Scola anyway..... That is a tool if I've ever heard one.

HB22inSA
07-17-2005, 11:33 PM
So much for Ludden's clairvoyance.
Uhh, that's the impression I got.

I was one of those who hadn't seen the guy play but 2 games, and from what I heard from everyone (especially the posters here) was that he was such a great player, "Ginobili on steroids," a key to the 2006 Title run, etc.

I'm one of those "prove it to me first" people, then I'll make my decision.

And I'm sure the Spurs and their scouts (especially R.C.) know much better than anyone else.

timvp
07-17-2005, 11:37 PM
I sent an email to Mr. Ludden asking questions about the Oberto/Scola situation.

Good job.

It's understandable Scola would be disappointed over not signing with the Spurs because he's anxious to get to the NBA. But whether he's angry matters not. The Spurs hold his rights until they decide to trade them.

This is a key point some fans don't understand. Scola can be as pissed as he wants and can hate the Spurs ... but the bottomline is the Spurs own him. If Scola wants to come to the NBA one day, it'll have to be with the Spurs ... unless they trade him.

The thing people don't seem to understand is the buyout is Scola's responsibility not the Spurs. Under NBA rules, the Spurs can only give Tau $350,000. Why Scola hasn't been able to resolve it -- through arbitration or other means -- is only a question his agents can answer.

If Scola really wanted to be in the league, he wouldn't have put it off until this point to get an agreement on what his buyout is. At any point after the Spurs, Scola and his agents could have worked with Tau to get a number that worked for both sides.

The Spurs can't go to Tau and negotiate with them. It's between Tau and Scola.

A lot of times a European agent will try to use a large buyout as leverage for a bigger contract from an NBA team.

Ludden might be on to something here. Perhaps Scola's agents thought that if they kept the high buyout number, it'd force the Spurs to overpay for Scola. They probably thought that if the buyout is set at $14M, the Spurs would be more likely to give Scola something closer to $20M.

Nice try, but the Spurs aren't going to bite on a ploy like that.

Scola's agents said they just needed more time. The problem is this has been going on for three years and the Spurs weren't willing to risk losing Oberto to wait any longer.

And when it comes down to it, I wouldn't be surprised if Oberto is the player they wanted more. If they really were dying for Scola, they could have waited at least until the beginning of the free agency period. To lockup Oberto more than a week before the signing period, it seems to me like the Spurs didn't fight too hard for Scola over Oberto.

I find it somewhat amusing that some fans are treating Scola as if he's the savior of the Spurs' franchise. I would guess that 90 percent of the people in S.A. haven't seen him play more than two games, if that. He's a good, solid player, but I don't think the Spurs had him penciled in for the All-Star Game just yet.

Exactly. I can't count how many times on this forum I've seen posters think that Scola is the Second Coming. Yeah, Scola has the potential to be a good player in the league, but to think he's The Next Manu or something like that is crazy.

He's an undersized guy who can score on the European level. Will that translate to the NBA? Who knows ... but the only thing him and Manu have in common is they were born in the same country.

Don't forget the Spurs already have a pretty decent power forward. As well as a playoff-savvy vet backing him up. Throw Oberto into the mix and they should be fine. Their bigger problem is finding an athletic wing.

Yep. The bigman rotation is set. It's probably the deepest group of guys in the league. You can go five deep with solid, NBA quality bigmen.

Now if they can get the elusive long three, this offseason will be a success.

timvp
07-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Another thing to consider is Ludden knows this situation well. He went with Buford in December for about a month as they toured around Europe looking at Scola and the other Spurs farm players overseas.

What he says/thinks about this situation is pretty much straight from the Spurs.

SequSpur
07-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Scola will play very well against 80% of the NBA teams out there.

There aren't many center dominated defenses left anymore.

His size probably won't matter very much.

timvp
07-17-2005, 11:41 PM
His size probably won't matter very much.

No comment.

:hat

GoSpurs21
07-18-2005, 12:09 AM
so which is it really 3M or 12M for the buyout?

which ever it is people should look to Scola's agent for the reason why it is or isnt so high

my guess is that the Spurs are only willing to give Scola 10M over 3 years and have a team option for the 4th year. Anyone else who thinks he deserves more can kiss my ass.

If you disagree with my assessment of if he deserves more can state there reasons. I bet RC and Pop (the experts) will disagree with you. Please feel free to list his MVP from the minor (European leagues and Olympics).

blaze89
07-18-2005, 12:45 AM
You mean Tim Duncan is pretty decent? And Horry is okay too? :lol

I think he was talking about Tony Massenburg and Horry.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-18-2005, 08:32 AM
I don't think many people are pegging Scola to be the franchise savior. So much for Ludden's clairvoyance.

I think Ludden was being sardonic. Pull up the Oberto Not Scola thread in this forum, and you'll see a number of people reacted like we'd waived Tim Duncan. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but a number of people acted as if the ONLY thing they were looking forward to seeing next year was the coming of the much discussed Scola.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-18-2005, 08:39 AM
so which is it really 3M or 12M for the buyout?

It's whatever Scola negotiates. The 3M buyout was for if he was a 1st round draft pick. Scola went in the second. So, all along, Scola is thinking, I just have to come up with 2.65M (Spurs are paying 350). Then when the Spurs finally called and Scola had the dough, he went to the jefe at Tau and said, so do I make this check out to you? Tau, weakened by numerous player and coaching departures, grabbed the only out they could--the technicality of the 1st round/2nd round buyout. Since no buyout is stipulated for a 2nd round pick, Tau indicated he'd have to pay the Euro buyout (14 M).

Scola got himself into this mess, and he'll have to negotiate a buyout to get out of it.

Note to self: next time I'm a 17 year old basketball star, don't sign huge long term contracts with ill defined clauses.

Mr. Body
07-18-2005, 09:12 AM
I think Ludden was being sardonic.

I actually think he was being very arrogant. The whole post reeks of that 'higher plane than thou' mindset of many reporters.

Extra Stout
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
I actually think he was being very arrogant. The whole post reeks of that 'higher plane than thou' mindset of many reporters.Ludden isn't just reacting to forum posters here. He's also referring to people calling in to local sports radio, e-mails from other fans less informed than the thread starter, and the general buzz around town.

Listening to that for any length of time can get very frustrating. The knowledge quotient on WOAI, for example, is extremely low. You start to wonder how some San Antonians manage to walk upright.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Ludden isn't just reacting to forum posters here.

He probably isn't reacting to any posters here, but rather the onslaught of email that I'm sure he's received on this subject in the last few days. I've received over 60 emails about it .. so I'm sure that Ludden has received 20 times more than that.

T Park
07-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I actually think he was being very arrogant

What should he have done, that would have made it NOT arrogant.

I thought it was fine, he didnt "demean" the writer of the letter or anything.

Get over yourself.

GrandeDavid
07-18-2005, 10:13 AM
J-Lud just summed it up brilliantly. I, personally, have no more to discuss on Scola coming over to San Antonio until the day his agents can finagle, if you will, a way out of this tough contractual obligation to Tau Ceramica. As far as Scola's on court impact, I certainly never have expected him to redefine the franchise and back Tim up in next season's All Star game.

My whole thing was I thought it'd be cool having yet another Argentinian workhouse on the team, and I like Scola's age and physical attributes in a backup role. But I am very happy that at least the first of my desire was satisfied in the hiring of Fabricio Oberto. He also sounds like a nice fit.

Ludden makes a great point about finding a wing player, especially with Devin Brown's future in doubt...somewhat. I think things will work out for Devin, but you never know with injuries.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Ludden makes a great point about finding a wing player, especially with Devin Brown's future in doubt...somewhat. I think things will work out for Devin, but you never know with injuries.

With or without Devin, they need another backup small forward. My vote goes to guys like Rodney White, Matt Barnes, etc. Then just fill out IR with vets or projects and make another run at the title.

T Park
07-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Demarr Johnson >>>>>>> Matt Barnes

but Kori is a UCLA girl so its understandable why she says matt barnes.....

HubieBrownBuysOffMe
07-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Listening to that for any length of time can get very frustrating. The knowledge quotient on WOAI, for example, is extremely low. You start to wonder how some San Antonians manage to walk upright.
Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk!!!!!

:lol

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Demarr Johnson >>>>>>> Matt Barnes

but Kori is a UCLA girl so its understandable why she says matt barnes.....

Actually I would have included DerMarr on the same list, but in the thread about him there seemed to be a lot of legitimate reasons that he wasn't a good fit.