PDA

View Full Version : And the MLE goes to...

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2013, 03:02 AM
So far, the Spurs have around $2M, barring the return of Gary Neal. If he does return, we'd be eligible to use the MLE. The best candidates are...

1. Andrei Kirilenko - best possible scenario. Might need four years to lock him.
2. Chauncey Billups - too much
3. Matt Barnes - too much
4. Andrew Bynum - unlikely to sign for MLE unless no one gives him a better offer than MLE
5. Greg Oden - too much; deserves vet. min.
6. Chris Kaman - not a bad pick-up for MLE
7. Dorell Wright/Al-Farouq Aminu - ...?
8. Timofey Mozgov - fills a need in the middle; no further knowledge of his post skills and defense
9. Lamar Odom - not a bad signing. Good for two years?
10. Corey Maggette - well-rested; not the same player though

Hope the Spurs don't pick up another PG.

Other players worth noting:
Spurs' euro stash
Vitor Faverani

FkLA
07-04-2013, 03:05 AM
Monta mothafucking Ellis.

spurraider21
07-04-2013, 03:14 AM
i don't like ellis, but he's talented. he'd have to be the main option after AK. he actually fills a more crucial need than Kirilenko does, but its tough to pass on AK. he's a more hard nosed, disciplined player. ellis likes to be a hero, a chucker, and his efficiency has declined pretty much every season for a few years in a row now. he has the ability to be a playmaker and play the manu role (shooting guard thats actually running the point). those are my top 2

sventhedog
07-04-2013, 03:16 AM
if the spurs wanted ellis, they wouldn't have resigned manu.

BatManu20
07-04-2013, 03:16 AM
Everything spurraider just said. AK47 is the most realistic and therefor the #1 choice. I wouldn't mind Monta at all cause we seriously need a legit scorer off the bench, but he's too expensive anyways. We can't afford him. And he wants to start wherever he is.

SpursSerb
07-04-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure we can afford Kirilenko now.

KL2
07-04-2013, 03:23 AM
Spurs are in dire need of Pg, that by far is the weakest position on the team. They need a guy that can run the offense, score, make plays etc. when Tony is resting. Idk if Cojo is that guy, that'd be awesome but it's a gamble.

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2013, 03:25 AM
i don't like ellis, but he's talented. he'd have to be the main option after AK. he actually fills a more crucial need than Kirilenko does, but its tough to pass on AK. he's a more hard nosed, disciplined player. ellis likes to be a hero, a chucker, and his efficiency has declined pretty much every season for a few years in a row now. he has the ability to be a playmaker and play the manu role (shooting guard thats actually running the point). those are my top 2
Didn't the Bucks offer him a max deal? Hmmm. Regardless, would he sign for the MLE? Lotsa teams with cap space with plan Bs (I assume). Might end up with ATL, etc etc...

SpursSerb
07-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Spurs are in dire need of Pg, that by far is the weakest position on the team. They need a guy that can run the offense, score, make plays etc. when Tony is resting. Idk if Cojo is that guy, that'd be awesome but it's a gamble.

Why did they resign Ginobilli then?If the wanted a new player to run the second unit,they wouldn't give 7 mil to Manu.On the other hand,they could still sign Billups for vet.

Man In Black
07-04-2013, 03:32 AM
My choice: I think he'd come in on the cheap.
bFdFk-euPn0

outmap
07-04-2013, 03:40 AM
AK47 for the MLE, Oden for the LLE.

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2013, 03:42 AM
THIS. Looks good on paper.

Betting we spend it on Pachulia tho hahaha. Ha. :(

tesseractive
07-04-2013, 03:59 AM
No way does Kirilenko opt out of 1 year at $10M to sign for 4 years/$22M. We'd need a sign and trade to get it done.

We spent the LLE on DeColo last year, so we don't have it to spend this year.

lefty
07-04-2013, 04:03 AM
If Neal returns, what kind of MLE can we use ?

2.5 millions / 2 years ?

Or 5 and 4?

Darkwaters
07-04-2013, 04:11 AM

LLE is currently in use by Nando de Colo

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2013, 04:15 AM
$5.15M assuming they didn't go over the tax threshold last year. Most Spurs writers (Dan McCarney, Paul Garcia, Jeff McDonald, Zach Lowe) indicate we have the full $5.15M to spend.

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2013, 04:18 AM
Just for reference: the top 10 scorers of the Euroleague

RANK
PLAYER
TEAM
GAMES
TOTAL
AVE.
PER 40 MIN.

TOMIC, ANTE (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=002507&seasoncode=E2012)
FC Barcelona Regal (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=BAR&seasoncode=E2012)

KRSTIC, NENAD (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=AUO&seasoncode=E2012)
CSKA Moscow (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=CSK&seasoncode=E2012)

SPANOULIS, VASSILIS (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=JUO&seasoncode=E2012)
Olympiacos Piraeus (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=OLY&seasoncode=E2012)

JAMES, SHAWN (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=001335&seasoncode=E2012)
Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=TEL&seasoncode=E2012)

KHRYAPA, VICTOR (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=BCQ&seasoncode=E2012)
CSKA Moscow (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=CSK&seasoncode=E2012)

FERNANDEZ, RUDY (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=BMT&seasoncode=E2012)
Real Madrid (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=MAD&seasoncode=E2012)

BROWN, BOBBY (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=000129&seasoncode=E2012)
Montepaschi Siena (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=SIE&seasoncode=E2012)

FARMAR, JORDAN (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=003423&seasoncode=E2012)
Anadolu Efes (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=IST&seasoncode=E2012)

HICKMAN, RICKY (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=004159&seasoncode=E2012)
Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=TEL&seasoncode=E2012)

TEODOSIC, MILOS (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=JDR&seasoncode=E2012)

Mouth is Bleeding
07-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Even though I think he's been a terrible player, I can't hate too much if Monta goes MLE. That's closer to his real value and in that case for us, good things could happen if some of his negatives get reduced. It's still hard to imagine that he isn't looking for more money though. He is just getting signaled loud and clear that he is not worth what he think he is by a league that's been getting smarter and not overrating volume shooters. Like I said in another thread there is not a single SG he can actually guard but coming off the bench with Manu, would not only be really intriguing, but might also kinda work both ways.

Kirilenko would simply be awesome.

I don't know if we really need one more big but of course I wouldn't mind a gamble on Oden for the minimum. It's something that still has a lot of upside.

Barnes and Wright are interesting and I'm not sure who I would prefer:

Wright is the better shooter which is important and a pretty good defender in his own right. He is a poor rebounder though and not unlike a Danny Green doesn't create anything on his own and has taken his game mostly to the perimeter spotting up for shots. Barnes is more versatile offensively, can make good cuts and do damage in transition. He is also a streakier shooter who will have his slumps. However he is a much better rebounder and of course a tough defender. Negatives are age where he would be in trouble if he starts losing athleticism and an off-court persona that seemingly still make teams stay away from him.

KL2
07-04-2013, 05:36 AM
Why did they resign Ginobilli then?If the wanted a new player to run the second unit,they wouldn't give 7 mil to Manu.On the other hand,they could still sign Billups for vet.

SA doesn't need a star, just a solid player out there, a proven NBA player. The Spurs have TONS of weapons on offense, however without Parker there just isn't anybody to put it all together, it's like having an army tank with nobody to man it.

I just keep having flashbacks of TJ Ford, dude was done, however being coached properly, and being put in position to get others the ball he did. The Spurs had weapons and he used them perfectly, he was still very flawed but the offense just clicked with him out there. Kawhi makes some really great cuts, Tiago is deadly on the P&R, the perimiter is filled with marksmen, TD's in the post etc. they just need someone to set them up for an easy score.

My choice: I think he'd come in on the cheap.
bFdFk-euPn0

I like his size and passing ability, Spurs definitely need to take a look at this guy.

Vash StampedE
07-04-2013, 06:19 AM
The Splitter signing may have set the big man rotation, thought I was hoping for a Millsap signing. That makes playmaking the area that needs to be addressed.

Not necessarily a PG. We need another playmaker that has the size of position 2/3, someone we could put along Tony Parker that could play the point and not be a liability on the defensive end. The team needs someone to play the role that once was Manu's: an SG/SF with playmaking skills that can guard the opposing SG/SF. We need someone that we could put alongside Parker during crunch time and perform the stated defensive role.

Among the list you provided and players brought up by other posters:
1. Billups, if healthy, may be a good fit to our system. Remember when he used to back down opposing PG. I also recall when he sometimes guard opposing star players.
2. Ellis? Small for his position but his passing and scoring are a sure plus in our offense. Would absolutely be a
3. Jose Calderon
4. Tyreke Evans? Would have been an almost-perfect replacement to Manu. Too bad his went over the roof.

admiralsnackbar
07-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Our depth is weakest @ the 3/4 position. While Kirilenko would be the outstanding get, Aminou would be acceptable and -- likely -- cheaper.

thekingrobert
07-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Why does no one mention Corey Brewer, young, good shooter, defends, and and create his own shot somewhat

Jordanobili2320
07-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Why does no one mention Corey Brewer, young, good shooter, defends, and and create his own shot somewhat

young and defends well is all I agree with.. He is not a good shooter and cannot create his own shot. Did you watch him last year? Veeeerrrry streaky shooter.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2013, 08:02 AM
MLE goes to Jarrett Jack.

I don't understand why everyone wants to stay away from an backup PG. A backup PG would've relieved Ginobili of having to handle the ball and making all the turnovers. Patty Mills and Cory weren't up to task.

Securing a backup PG that is capable of playing quality minutes in pressure situations (ie. playoffs) makes Ginobili and everyone else better.

Baam
07-04-2013, 08:04 AM

I don't understand why everyone wants to stay away from an backup PG. A backup PG would've relieved Ginobili of having to handle the ball and making all the turnovers. Patty Mills and Cory weren't up to task.

Securing a backup PG that is capable of playing quality minutes in pressure situations (ie. playoffs) makes Ginobili and everyone else better.

Jarrett Jack is gonna get more than that.

barakz21
07-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I think Monta would bring more punch to the team, if he plays off the bench, but AK47 imho would bring balance on the other end. Monta is Gary Neal with better handles and no shooting, while AK47 is Kawhi in that he can put do everything - score, rebound, play D.. except maybe shoot consistently. Regardless, I won't have any problem if we got 1 of them.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Jarrett Jack is gonna get more than that.

He made $5.4 mil last year. I don't know if the Warrior can afford more than the MLE this year and why not go to the Spurs for that?

weebo
07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
TP-pg
CJ-pg
Mills-pg
Manu-pg/sg/sf
Nando-pg/sg

and you guys want another pg?? wtf

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2013, 08:57 AM
TP-pg
CJ-pg
Mills-pg
Manu-pg/sg/sf
Nando-pg/sg

and you guys want another pg?? wtf

Which one of the above - besides Tony - would you trust to handle the ball and run the offense for the 2nd unit in the Finals?

jermaine
07-04-2013, 08:58 AM
As much as I would love AK47, oyr defense aint our problem if you really think about it. As a unit we've came together to fix that. We need a play makers. Someome who can create his own shot. It showed in gm 7! We played dam good defense all playoff long. Thats not our problem

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Ok, how about Randy Foye.

6'4" backup PG/SG combo. 29 yrs old, averaged 27 mins/game last year and shot .397 overall, .410 from 3 pt and .810 from FT line. His defense is decent, he can pass some but most important, he can run the offense for the backup unit. Essentially, he's a less pass worthy George Hill.

And he was paid $2.5 mil last year...

weebo
07-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Which one of the above - besides Tony - would you trust to handle the ball and run the offense for the 2nd unit in the Finals?

Manu/CJ/Nando...in that order

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Manu/CJ/Nando...in that order

That's already tried and proven not to work. And you think it will improve w/ yet another year for Manu to get older.

The problem w/ a lot of Spurs fans it that they don't realize this team is built for the regular season and not the post season. Since 2005, the Spurs have had one of the best if not THE best records during the regular season. And, that's playing in the much stronger West.

Yet, every time come the playoffs, there's been a team they don't match up well against and lose. This year, it just happened to be in the Finals vs. the Heat (we'll never know what would've happened vs. the Thunder w/ a healthy Westbrook).

The Spurs don't have a backup SF or PG worthy of quality playoff minutes vs. teams that have quality scorers on their 2nd unit.

The MLE needs to try and solve both those problems. Randy Foye, Rodrique Beaubois, etc. are all guys who should cost < $3 million. Using the ENTIRE MLE on one player is going to leave the team deficient in one or more area.

jermaine
07-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Ok, how about Randy Foye.

6'4" backup PG/SG combo. 29 yrs old, averaged 27 mins/game last year and shot .397 overall, .410 from 3 pt and .810 from FT line. His defense is decent, he can pass some but most important, he can run the offense for the backup unit. Essentially, he's a less pass worthy George Hill.

And he was paid $2.5 mil last year...

I like him. The not shy under pressure either. I wouldn't mind him an Zaza about 2 mil a piece.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Beaubois is crazy talk (if any kind of srs money is involved) and what we have already is better but Foye not a bad idea hypothetically but still can't see Spurs just shelving their boatload of guards unless it's for an impact guy like Monta available for MLE money.

I'd be really surprised if MLE priority isn't a forward.

cdcast
07-04-2013, 10:30 AM
use the MLE on Landry
then use their expiring contracts and trade for a guard

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2013, 10:38 AM
As much as I think Monta would beast in silver and black, I don't think he's willing to spend his prime playing for around $6M a year. He thinks he's worth around $10-$13M. He just opted out of an $11M++ deal so that's that.

palangi
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
That's already tried and proven not to work. And you think it will improve w/ yet another year for Manu to get older.

The problem w/ a lot of Spurs fans it that they don't realize this team is built for the regular season and not the post season. Since 2005, the Spurs have had one of the best if not THE best records during the regular season. And, that's playing in the much stronger West.

Yet, every time come the playoffs, there's been a team they don't match up well against and lose. This year, it just happened to be in the Finals vs. the Heat (we'll never know what would've happened vs. the Thunder w/ a healthy Westbrook).

The Spurs don't have a backup SF or PG worthy of quality playoff minutes vs. teams that have quality scorers on their 2nd unit.

The MLE needs to try and solve both those problems. Randy Foye, Rodrique Beaubois, etc. are all guys who should cost < $3 million. Using the ENTIRE MLE on one player is going to leave the team deficient in one or more area.
but cojo and de colo still have the youth to develop. cojo made big strides last year and de colo was in his first year and is going to play in the summer league to continue to develop in the system.

I don't think PG is as big of need as you think.

CGD
07-04-2013, 10:48 AM

damn man, you must have some REALLY high standards for success then. Spurs made some deep runs these past two years, and you suggesting they underperformed? There are at least 28 other teams that would love to be that unsuccessful in the playoffs.

DMX7
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
We can't afford AK47 when Ginobili's huge contract.

dbestpro
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Lamar Odom could be an interesting idea. His versatility would fit the Spurs need. He just needs to get his shot straight and play focus ball, and he could be a steal for what he is capable of delivering.

Whataburger
07-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Odom would work but the fat Kardashian wouldn't let him come here...

coyotes_geek
07-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Lamar Odom could be an interesting idea. His versatility would fit the Spurs need. He just needs to get his shot straight and play focus ball, and he could be a steal for what he is capable of delivering.

He hasn't played focused ball in 4 years. Why should anyone expect him to next year?

SpurCharger
07-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Id take A shot at Jose Calderon...... good Playmaker, and has yet to play with any Good talent..... would be a great backup

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
but cojo and de colo still have the youth to develop. cojo made big strides last year and de colo was in his first year and is going to play in the summer league to continue to develop in the system.

This past year was the BEST chance the Spurs have had in a long time to win another championship. Quite frankly, they should've won but choked it away. And, it wasn't really any 1 player or Pops fault as they all contributed to making mistakes down the stretch.

Going forward, the Spurs have a 2 yr window. Timmy and Manu on for another 2. After that, it's rebuilding (from the ground up) time. Not sure if CJ or Colo are up to playing quality minutes vs. Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Westbrook and the likes in the case TP gets injured or he needs to rest while the other team plays their starters. I don't see anyone on the roster who will be ready to do that within the next 2 years.

Patty Mills is a regular season player. So is Cory Joseph - neither are ever going to be anything other than small time role players that can contribute during the regular season. Hell, CJ left UT for the Pros after 1 yr because he new the incoming freshman PG was gonna take his starting spot... And, in the playoffs/Finals when 1 or 2 mistakes can make a huge difference, I don't think Pop will ever trust either to be in when a critical decision is needed.

De Colo looks the best to replace Ginobili in 2 yrs when he retires but is not close to running the 2nd unit offense w/ TP, Timmy and Kawhi on the bench next year (and quite possibly the year after that). De Colo is a SG in the makes of Harden and Ginobili - just not as talented. He's not the decision maker the team needs nor will he ever be.

All those so-called guards on the team but NONE are PGs good enough to play down the stretch. I like Neal but he's no PG. The Spurs would be better served in letting Mills and Neal go and finding a quality replacement combo guard who can shoot 3s, can play defense and can handle the ball and make decisions well enough to play deep into the 3rd qtr in game 5, 6, and 7 of critical playoff games. Neal makes excellent trade bait to a team needing perimeter scoring.

I think this is a fairly strong FA class this year in terms of backup PGs. Foye, Beaubois (who only made $2.2 last year) Jarrett Jack, Shaun Livingston and quite a few others are QUALITY backup PGs - not just guards who can fill out a roster.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2013, 11:06 AM

This past year was the BEST chance the Spurs have had in a long time to win another championship. Quite frankly, they should've won but choked it away. And, it wasn't really any 1 player or Pops fault as they all contributed to making mistakes down the stretch.

Going forward, the Spurs have a 2 yr window. Timmy and Manu on for another 2. After that, it's rebuilding (from the ground up) time. Not sure if CJ or Colo are up to playing quality minutes vs. Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Westbrook and the likes in the case TP gets injured or he needs to rest while the other team plays their starters. I don't see anyone on the roster who will be ready to do that within the next 2 years.

Patty Mills is a regular season player. So is Cory Joseph - neither are ever going to be anything other than small time role players that can contribute during the regular season. Hell, CJ left UT for the Pros after 1 yr because he new the incoming freshman PG was gonna take his starting spot... And, in the playoffs/Finals when 1 or 2 mistakes can make a huge difference, I don't think Pop will ever trust either to be in when a critical decision is needed.

De Colo looks the best to replace Ginobili in 2 yrs when he retires but is not close to running the 2nd unit offense w/ TP, Timmy and Kawhi on the bench next year (and quite possibly the year after that). De Colo is a SG in the makes of Harden and Ginobili - just not as talented. He's not the decision maker the team needs nor will he ever be.

All those so-called guards on the team but NONE are PGs good enough to play down the stretch. I like Neal but he's no PG. The Spurs would be better served in letting Mills and Neal go and finding a quality replacement combo guard who can shoot 3s, can play defense and can handle the ball and make decisions well enough to play deep into the 3rd qtr in game 5, 6, and 7 of critical playoff games. Neal makes excellent trade bait to a team needing perimeter scoring.

I think this is a fairly strong FA class this year in terms of backup PGs. Foye, Beaubois (who only made $2.2 last year) Jarrett Jack, Shaun Livingston and quite a few others are QUALITY backup PGs - not just guards who can fill out a roster.

Behrooz24
07-04-2013, 11:08 AM
How much would Landry cost?

Big P
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
How much would Landry cost?

He's talking to the Clippers for their MLE.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I think Clippers are in a position where they choose one of Landry and Barnes.

Barnes has been meeting with other teams.

weebo
07-04-2013, 11:39 AM
The Spurs develop their players to fit their system. Cojo and Nando will be much improved this season. They will see a lot more minutes, and they will have all of the regular season to prove themselves for the PO's. As for underachieve/underperforming, the Spurs have not missed the PO's in the Duncan era. Last year they were a few plays away from being crowned NBA champs. I don't know what you mean by underperforming?

For now I think the Spurs will look for a back up SF to help with the likes of guys like Durant, Dirk and so on. If the Spurs can't find a viable back up for KL, I am assuming the Spurs will bring back Neal and hope they can find someone from the Summer leagues/training camp.

All this is not new for the Spurs, this is how they operate. They find players, develop them to fit into the Spurs mold, and play them. It's a recipe that has worked for them before and it will work for them again.

Jumi
07-04-2013, 11:47 AM
We have backup point guards already! Pop is usually a season behind Spurstalk in understanding what the team needs so this year he's actually gonna use the regular season to develop a true point guard and that should be CoJo. De Colo has the skills to be Manu's replacement on the second unit so this thing just rolls right along.

We should use the MLE on either AK 47 or Carl Landry. Anthing other than that is a waste of money and doesn't fill a need. We have just about everything you need to be successful already!! Duh!

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2013, 11:51 AM

This. PG is the biggest weakness on this team. Manu can't do it even as a third option anymore.

rascal
07-04-2013, 12:42 PM
This. PG is the biggest weakness on this team. Manu can't do it even as a third option anymore.

The front line is still weak and still has not been addressed with the Splitter signing. But agree that the backup pg is very important. Parker gets gassed at the end of games because the Spurs don't have a reliable backup and Manu should be finished being used as a pg after the tank job he had against Miami.

rascal
07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
We have backup point guards already! Pop is usually a season behind Spurstalk in understanding what the team needs so this year he's actually gonna use the regular season to develop a true point guard and that should be CoJo. De Colo has the skills to be Manu's replacement on the second unit so this thing just rolls right along.

We should use the MLE on either AK 47 or Carl Landry. Anthing other than that is a waste of money and doesn't fill a need. We have just about everything you need to be successful already!! Duh!

Spurs don't need AK47. Leonard should log big minutes and blossom next year. Backup pg and a creator on offense is more important as Manu slows down.

rascal
07-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Spurs don't need AK47. Leonard should log big minutes and blossom next year. Backup pg and a creator on offense is more important as Manu slows down.

Miami put James on parker and took him away and the Spurs were very limited in the players who could break down the defense and take it to the basket.

spurs10
07-04-2013, 01:02 PM

The MLE needs to try and solve both those problems. Randy Foye, Rodrique Beaubois, etc. are all guys who should cost < $3 million. Using the ENTIRE MLE on one player is going to leave the team deficient in one or more area.Interesting thought. Obviously a player like AK or Jack would be a great move. You are right about us needing two players though. I, too, am in the frame of mind of what's going to work when it really matters. It didn't work having Manu play pg against teams like the Heat. Unless we can get Jack, I've been thinking AK and a veteran like Billups would be a dream come true. It's the 'dream' part that concerns me. However, I'm confident we'll address at least one of our needs with the MLE shortly.

Man In Black
07-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Curious...I point out that Livingston is 6'7" and give you a video link and yet, many of you don't see that player a viable option, why?

DeColo, needs to have the balls to shoot when he has an open shot, he hasn't shown that much, if at all, this past season. He seems to have the same tool box as Manu does, he just seems unsure of himself in using them.

Corey Joseph needs to prove that he will take that next step but with what he showed, against teams that go small and have talented wings play PG like Miami, CoJo is overmatched. I don't think Livingston will have that issue. He's still 6'7 is a very capable pick and roll player. He can go to the rim with his length and he has a pretty good jump shot plus, the guys plays solid defense.

So...why is this guy not viable again?

Blake
07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Lolsmh at anyone thinking AK is going to settle for the MLE after opting out.

Johnny RIngo
07-04-2013, 01:18 PM

God, what a waste of time DeColo was. The Spurs FO is usually pretty good but I don't know what they saw in this piece of shit. I've watched a lot of games for the French NT and in Europe and he's NEVER impressed me. He's not an NBA calibre player.

Johnny RIngo
07-04-2013, 01:22 PM
DeColo, needs to have the balls to shoot when he has an open shot, he hasn't shown that much, if at all, this past season. He seems to have the same tool box as Manu does, he just seems unsure of himself in using them.

I've been a big critic of post-2011 Manu but this statement is downright insulting. DeColo has NO offensive game. The Ginobili comparisons have to stop already. DeColo was a scrub in Europe and has never stood out for the French NT(he's been terrible every time I've watched them). Ginobili was a star in Europe with a complete offensive game. DeColo sucks...he's another Beno Udrih...though to Udrih's credit he's actually been able to stay in the NBA. DeColo's going back to Europe after this stint with the Spurs. He's a soft, mentally-weak Euro...the kind of player SA needs to distance themselves from.

lefty
07-04-2013, 01:23 PM
$5.15M assuming they didn't go over the tax threshold last year. Most Spurs writers (Dan McCarney, Paul Garcia, Jeff McDonald, Zach Lowe) indicate we have the full $5.15M to spend.

Ah ok

thanks

spurs10
07-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Curious...I point out that Livingston is 6'7" and give you a video link and yet, many of you don't see that player a viable option, why?

Corey Joseph needs to prove that he will take that next step but with what he showed, against teams that go small and have talented wings play PG like Miami, CoJo is overmatched. I don't think Livingston will have that issue. He's still 6'7 is a very capable pick and roll player. He can go to the rim with his length and he has a pretty good jump shot plus, the guys plays solid defense.

So...why is this guy not viable again?Thanks for the link. I wonder if he is on the FO's radar? Looks like an experienced guy as well.

still.focused
07-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Damn I didnt know Livingston was available
Hes a solid PG too in terms of ball handling
and decision making
Hes more aggressive than all our backup PGs combined
And he posts!!!
I love it
Evans was my first thought when it came to FA but im thinkin id rather have Livingston intead

cd021
07-04-2013, 01:43 PM
So far, the Spurs have around $2M, barring the return of Gary Neal. If he does return, we'd be eligible to use the MLE. The best candidates are...

1. Andrei Kirilenko - best possible scenario. Might need four years to lock him.
2. Chauncey Billups - too much
3. Matt Barnes - too much
4. Andrew Bynum - unlikely to sign for MLE unless no one gives him a better offer than MLE
5. Greg Oden - too much; deserves vet. min.
6. Chris Kaman - not a bad pick-up for MLE
7. Dorell Wright/Al-Farouq Aminu - ...?
8. Timofey Mozgov - fills a need in the middle; no further knowledge of his post skills and defense
9. Lamar Odom - not a bad signing. Good for two years?
10. Corey Maggette - well-rested; not the same player though

Hope the Spurs don't pick up another PG.

Other players worth noting:
Spurs' euro stash
Vitor Faverani

Jarrett Jack or Al Aminu

cjw
07-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Which contending team out there has cap space? If he wants to win, we can offer him as much as anyone else and have a good shot. As the OP said, fourth year may be necessary. By the time the Timmy/Manu retire + Parker/Green contracts are up, the MLE signee and Splitter would have two years left and there's a lot of flexibility around them.

cd021
07-04-2013, 01:47 PM

He's 32 and is seeking a long term deal ,and I presume, play on a contender. The Mavs', Hawks and Rockets are tied up with D12. The Spurs seem to be the most realistic option.

Baam
07-04-2013, 01:49 PM
^ why would he be in a rush to get lowballed when he can get a better role for better money later...

Mel_13
07-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Which contending team out there has cap space? If he wants to win, we can offer him as much as anyone else and have a good shot. As the OP said, fourth year may be necessary. By the time the Timmy/Manu retire + Parker/Green contracts are up, the MLE signee and Splitter would have two years left and there's a lot of flexibility around them.

There's no evidence that he'll put a better chance to win over a better contract. Actually, the recent evidence is to the contrary.

spurraider21
07-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I think Monta would bring more punch to the team, if he plays off the bench, but AK47 imho would bring balance on the other end. Monta is Gary Neal with better handles and no shooting, while AK47 is Kawhi in that he can put do everything - score, rebound, play D.. except maybe shoot consistently. Regardless, I won't have any problem if we got 1 of them.
Like Neal with no shooting and with better handles. So they're both short is what you're getting at

Darkwaters
07-04-2013, 01:58 PM
God, what a waste of time DeColo was. The Spurs FO is usually pretty good but I don't know what they saw in this piece of shit. I've watched a lot of games for the French NT and in Europe and he's NEVER impressed me. He's not an NBA calibre player.

The LLE is not a big contract. It's not like we spent a lot of money on him. Plus hes was a late 2nd rounder (53?).

Sure he had problems, but all things considered they've done pretty well with him so far. No sure why you're hating.

Johnny RIngo
07-04-2013, 02:04 PM
The LLE is not a big contract. It's not like we spent a lot of money on him. Plus hes was a late 2nd rounder (53?).

Sure he had problems, but all things considered they've done pretty well with him so far. No sure why you're hating.

Him being a 2nd round pick is not the issue. 2nd round picks are usually busts(like Nando's proven to be). It's that we're wasting a roster spot on him and Patty Mills so they can sit on the bench. SA desperately needed a backup PG last year and they both fell short. Our D-League PG looked more NBA ready than either of those two...Even worse for Nando seeing as he's 26 and players are usually in their prime at that age. Usually, NBA teams try to bring over the best players in Europe to the NBA. Nando was never the best at anything. He was a mediocre talent in Europe - Guys like that don't have a future in the NBA

spursince#99
07-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Jarrett Jack is who I want. Another ball handler is needed most and that was clearly evident in the finals when LeBron began to hold Tony. Heck even some NBA players were tweeting it during the finals such as Jamal Crawford and others. I wouldn't mind Livingston, but is he capable of performing well when the time comes? I'd much rather have Jack though, and lets not forget about Aminu. He's a viable option but honestly, De Colo is terrible and Cojo will not be THAT improved come next year. However, De Colo should be traded.

spurraider21
07-04-2013, 02:07 PM
As much as I think Monta would beast in silver and black, I don't think he's willing to spend his prime playing for around $6M a year. He thinks he's worth around $10-$13M. He just opted out of an $11M++ deal so that's that.
yeah. now milwaukee is about to replace him with OJ mayo and he hasn't exactly had a lot of suitors on the market. he may be forced to sign a short deal for 6M to prove himself. he screwed himself over by turning down the bucks deal

barakz21
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Like Neal with no shooting and with better handles. So they're both short is what you're getting at

Sort of, yes? But my point is that they're similar in that they both produce points, although in different ways and in different amounts. Neal's a better shooter, Ellis is a better slasher/ball handler. But the one thing they got in common aside from bei

pad300
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM

So...why is this guy not viable again?

I'd be interested trying him in 2 "pg" set with either Nando, Manu or Cojo, but I think one thing that the FO really dislikes is that he is a guard who doesn't (can't?) shoot the 3 at all - 43 CAREER attempts (9 made). I think Livingston could blossom as a 1/2 vs a pure 1, but he needs to learn to shoot.

Sign him early to a non-guaranteed contract and give him to Chip for a summer - but he's pretty likely to get some guaranteed money elsewhere, and therefore wouldn't take it.

Darkwaters
07-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Him being a 2nd round pick is not the issue. 2nd round picks are usually busts(like Nando's proven to be). It's that we're wasting a roster spot on him and Patty Mills so they can sit on the bench. SA desperately needed a backup PG last year and they both fell short. Our D-League PG looked more NBA ready than either of those two...Even worse for Nando seeing as he's 26 and players are usually in their prime at that age. Usually, NBA teams try to bring over the best players in Europe to the NBA. Nando was never the best at anything. He was a mediocre talent in Europe - Guys like that don't have a future in the NBA

The guy was a rookie making a conversion from Euro ball. It typically takes at least a year to adjust. I'm pretty sure that was always the plan.

Stop cliff diving and give the guy a chance to play this season.

moisaenz
07-04-2013, 03:13 PM
ryan richards??

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2013, 07:06 PM
UPDATE: Gary Neal done in SAS,Belinelli signs with Spurs for $6M/2yrs
Two situations at play:

(1) As per Jeff McDonald, they can sign Belinelli first, and then sign Manu and Tiago to get the full $5.15M MLE.
(a) move might include amnestying Bonner to make room for Belinelli
(2) Spurs be done signing and stay content with the $2.75M exception. Which means no AK47 for us unless he wants4 years making $2-4M a year.

outmap
07-04-2013, 07:11 PM
No way does Kirilenko opt out of 1 year at $10M to sign for 4 years/$22M. We'd need a sign and trade to get it done.

We spent the LLE on DeColo last year, so we don't have it to spend this year.

Got it! I guess it would have to be for the Vet Min.

cd021
07-04-2013, 10:42 PM
^ why would he be in a rush to get lowballed when he can get a better role for better money later...

A better role on a worse team. He's been in the NBA sence he was 19 (11 seasons) he has only played in the WCF and his team was beaten soundly (by the Spurs). He can be a 20 minute contributor on a great team and have a great chance of winning a title. I'd imagine that at his age all he seeks is winning and a long term deal the Spurs could possibly offer both.

cd021
07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Calderon would be a nice fit. Possibly out of our price range but great shooter (carer 40% 3pt) very high ast/ to T.O rate Career 7.2/1.7 a 4-1 ratio.

elmanutres
07-05-2013, 01:25 AM
so i guess tmac ain't returning if the spurs have 2 mil left huh. well there goes my tmac taking kawhi under his wing dream

Drom John
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Forwards that I heard are may be available in order of Defensive WS (ignoring those out of Spurs budget).
Matt Barnes
Andrei Kirilenko
Metta World Peace
Al-Farouq Aminu
Elton Brand
Tyler Hansborough
Dorell Wright
Carl Landry
Marreese Speights
DeJuan Blair

moisaenz
07-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Blair lol

snickles
07-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Our D-League PG looked more NBA ready than either of those two...

ok i know i'm just being nit-picky here, and actually agree with most of what you're saying, but our "d-league point guard" was a first round pick....obviously he should be better than the 2nd round guys.

i do agree that nando probably isn't long for this league...but again, he's cheap and not signed for very long. just out of curiosity, what would you have done with that roster spot?