PDA

View Full Version : Calderon has NBA in his sights

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 07:55 AM
ESP - Calderon has NBA in his sights

http://web.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=8305&r_cat=8&page=1

BARCELONA (ACB) - Spanish international Jose Manuel Calderon will only leave Tau Ceramica if he can secure a move to the NBA.

The point guard, who has been included in Mario Pesquera's squad for September's EuroBasket in Serbia & Montenegro, is being tracked by a number of NBA teams, as well as Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Dusko Ivanovic, Calderon's coach at Tau, recently left to take over at Barca.

"The NBA is now my first option," said Calderon, who is in Barcelona attending Nike's NBA Madness.

"There are many possibilities of doing things well and I can't let go of this opportunity."

Calderon, who is 23, has been linked with a move to the Toronto Raptors, although the Milwaukee Bucks and the Detroit Pistons have also been tracking him.

Pistons coach Larry Brown, who coached Team USA at the Olympics, was among those captivated by Calderon's performance in Athens.

"He could play in the NBA if he wanted," Brown said.

"He is one of the best point guards that I've seen."

Calderon's undoubted talent and ambition will make it difficult for European basketball to retain his services.

"The truth is that NBA is the dream of any basketball player," admitted Calderon.

The 1.90m Calderon underwent an appendix operation during the ACB play-offs but returned to play in the finals for Tau.

Tau, who lost to Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Euroleague Final, also slipped up against Real Madrid in a best-of-five game ACB title series.

"We've had a very good season," said Calderon.

"The only thing we have lacked is to put the icing on the cake.

"They have been two big blows for us, sometimes when you deserve it less you end up winning."

But the reported interest of NBA teams has put a smile back on his face.

"To go to the NBA is something that I hadn't thought about in the short term, but I think that considering my personal and professional situation this is the time to do it."

HB22inSA
07-18-2005, 08:32 AM
This is hilarious, because I work with someone named Jose Calderon, and I don't think he's ever picked up a basketball in his life.

SpizdiStrann
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
great player.. offensive talent, nice jumper, good passer, true leader, quick, and great defender.. spurs:: PICK HIM and trade parker for good, really good SF. i would choose rashard Lewis...

T Park
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
PICK HIM and trade parker

yeah because this guy is a proven in the NBA.

classic how everyone constantly wants to trade away a 23 year old all star quality point guard.

People forget how hard it is to get pgs like that.

Solid D
07-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Supposed to be signing with the Raptors, according to Toronto Sun.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2005/07/18/1136642-sun.html

Mark in Austin
07-18-2005, 02:04 PM
i would choose rashard Lewis...

Lewis is a pussy.

SpizdiStrann
07-18-2005, 02:21 PM
lewis-- i donīt know him personally, but i think heīs a great player, who would fit in spurs rotation.

parker is a decent player even for PG, but.. spurs should get someone who can run the game, and lead team - that need to be priority of PG, -not scoring. if he hit some opern shoots .. good, but parker isnīt able to play as good as true PG plays. that is reallity. spurs have two leaders. and none of them isnīt parker. but .. you just donīt get it..

Mark in Austin
07-18-2005, 02:26 PM
You say:
lewis-- i donīt know him personally, but i think heīs a great player, who would fit in spurs rotation.

but I don't get it?

:lmao

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
I posted this article because it's another player leaving Tau (Scola's team). As more and more of their good players leave, it makes it less likely that Tau will want to negotiate Scola's buyout.

Spurologist
07-18-2005, 03:46 PM
I posted this article because it's another player leaving Tau (Scola's team). As more and more of their good players leave, it makes it less likely that Tau will want to negotiate Scola's buyout.

I thought the buyout was immenent - as in done deal. mmmmmmmm. Would that be like taking their manu and duncan off their (scola and calderon) team (Tau). If that's the case I wouldn't blame them for being a bit out of sorts about negotiating a buyout.

Mr. Body
07-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Scola might as well mail it in this year. His team is gone.