PDA

View Full Version : Guard Jaric interests Wolves

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Guard Jaric interests Wolves
Steve Aschburner, Star Tribune
July 18, 2005

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1405/5511514.html

Marko Jaric, a restricted free agent from the Los Angeles Clippers, might be one of the Wolves' primary targets this offseason. Jaric, a 6-7 guard capable of playing both backcourt spots, is represented by agent Bill Duffy, who confirmed Minnesota's interest.

"That would be a great fit," Duffy said. "It's a pretty aggressive market, but we'll try to be creative with every team."

Jaric, 26, averaged 9.9 points, 6.1 assists and 1.68 steals for the Clippers last season, his third in the NBA. A native of Serbia-Montenegro, Jaric is the son of European basketball star Srecko Jaric and won Italian League championships in 2000 and 2001.

Once the NBA's signing period begins Friday, the Clippers would have seven days to match any offer to Jaric. But a sign-and-trade might satisfy Los Angeles, and the Wolves could enlist a third club to provide a piece, if needed, via a multi-team deal.

But signing Jaric outright would be difficult because most or all of the Wolves' midlevel salary cap exception -- $5 million starting salary -- is believed to be earmarked for forward Eddie Griffin.

The lack of buzz about Griffin on the open market, in fact, appears to have less to do with his recent legal setback -- 15 days in jail for a probation violation -- than the sense around the league that Minnesota is out front in re-signing him.

Refs learning, too

The players aren't the only ones being evaluated.

Ronnie Nunn, NBA director of officiating, and consultant Ed Rush are in the Twin Cities, critiquing and instructing new and prospective referees during the games at Target Center.

The process goes on at every summer league, with breakfast classes each morning, and parallels what the teams do in terms of nurturing young talent.

"If we can fast-forward this, teach and train, hands on, review film, I think we'll improve our staff from the bottom up," Nunn said. "That's the goal of the summer."

There is a downside to all this supervision, though: Refs have felt compelled to call every last foul. That cost the Wolves on Sunday night, when they were whistled for 42, giving Houston 39 points from the line in Minnesota's 85-79 loss.

In three games, the Wolves have committed 107 fouls, with eight potential disqualifications (the six-foul limit isn't enforced in summer league). Combined, the six teams have been called for 590 fouls in nine games.

"As close as they call them in the NBA, they rarely call them this tight," said Wolves assistant Don Zierden, who coached Sunday night.

Behind the scenes

Longtime NBA coach Brendan Malone, who finished the season as Cleveland's head coach after Paul Silas got fired, spent the Wolves-Rockets game Sunday night sitting in the stands with new head coach Dwane Casey. Malone is a candidate for one of the open spots on Casey's staff and was likely to have a formal interview this week.

Madsen eager to stay

Utah coach Jerry Sloan called Wolves free-agent forward Mark Madsen over the weekend in the latest attempt to woo him to Salt Lake City. The Jazz has been the most aggressive of the five or six teams talking with the 6-9 power forward, but Madsen still sounds as if he would prefer to stay in Minnesota.

"I have to keep my options open," said Madsen, who wrapped up a two-year, minimum-salary deal with the Wolves. "My agent [Arn Tellum] told me that, compared to the last time I was a free agent, it's been unbelievable.

"But Kevin McHale [Wolves vice president of basketball operations] has expressed from day one that Minnesota is very interested. . . . I'm just trying to get it done."

Veterans show up

Guard Fred Hoiberg, recovering from heart surgery three weeks ago, was one of several Wolves veterans who dropped by the gym over the weekend.

Hoiberg, showing more energy than when he met with reporters last week and fresh off a positive checkup Thursday at the Mayo Clinic, attended Saturday night's game with his family.

Center John Thomas and Madsen also have watched. So has guard Trenton Hassell, who said he'd rather be out on the court.

"It's the best way to stay in shape and get competition," said Hassell, who played in summer leagues in each of his first three NBA offseasons.

Hassell wanted to play on the Wolves squad but got bumped by a rule limiting veterans. Instead, he will get his work at home; he and wife Tiffany had their first child Thursday, son Bailey Lavar.

Sportcamper
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
I hope he likes cold weather... :lol

sickdsm
07-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Who's YOUR starting point again?

Sportcamper
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Can't touch this... (http://www.lakersbrethren.homestead.com/GoWolves.html) Speakers On... :lol

PM5K
07-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Minnesota needs to start making moves, KG won't be in the league forever and he won't win a ring with Gollum and Sprewell....

Sportcamper
07-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Minnesota needs to start making moves (http://www.lakersbrethren.com/WolfPuppeteerHorryWallyFinal_LMAO.jpg)

sickdsm
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Keep living in the past. A few years ago you might have had some argument but not now.

The clippers are more of a contender than you are.

That's no better than me bringing up some Mikan or Tarkenton smack.