PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: Warriors and Jazz reach agreement on trade

Michael Jordan.
07-05-2013, 02:58 PM
David Aldridge ✔ @daldridgetnt (https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt)
Source says the Warriors are sending Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson to the Jazz. Checking on what they're getting back.

HI-FI
07-05-2013, 02:58 PM
looks like RJ will have to find some in the closet Mormons to bang.

Robz4000
07-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Holy fuck Utah, seriously?

Killakobe81
07-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Warriors making that move for Dwight tbh ...

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:02 PM
lol UTA. What on Earth could GS send you that is worth while?

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Warriors making that move for Dwight tbh ...

Nope. They already offered Iggy a 4/48M contract with the money

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I thought this had to be a joke the first time I saw. I'm sure the Jazz will find a use for them on the court but I can't think of a NBA city that has less of what these guys are into than SLC.

Michael Jordan.
07-05-2013, 03:06 PM

CGD
07-05-2013, 03:15 PM
WTF Utah? They better be getting some awesome picks in return. $20M in cap relief next summer is fine and all, but it's not like Salt Lake is an awesome FA destination.

JamStone
07-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Jazz probably know they won't be signing any high priced free agents and need to meet the salary cap floor, which is 90% of the cap next season. Both are expiring deals. So as long as they don't give up anything much, actually makes sense for Utah.

JMarkJohns
07-05-2013, 03:23 PM
If Utah gets a few 1sts, they'll be able to use the expiring contracts at deadline with picks or prospects to acquire a salary dump player. Makes a lot of sense. Always teams looking to dump an expensive signing.

Mal
07-05-2013, 03:23 PM
:lmao, they`ve taken both bad contracts.. wtf

Double-Up
07-05-2013, 03:25 PM
This is some wack ass shit, all this for Brandon Rush?

Mal
07-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Barnes or Thompson must have been included.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:27 PM
The only good thing is they are expiring contracts. That's where it ends. They still should get something decent in return for helping GS out so much in one swoop. That is a ton of money to take on for no on court help, even if it's just for a year. Will be interested in seeing what they got.

Also, why do you need Iggy when you have Barnes/Klay?

Mal
07-05-2013, 03:28 PM
WTF Utah

lefty
07-05-2013, 03:29 PM
GS making room for the begged

Robz4000
Utah just fucking over the rest of the NBA, per par. Next up they'll take Amar'e off the Knicks' hands.

Double-Up
The only good thing is they are expiring contracts. That's where it ends. They still should get something decent in return for helping GS out so much in one swoop. That is a ton of money to take on for no on court help, even if it's just for a year. Will be interested in seeing what they got.

So they can possible sign and trade Barnes and Bogut for Howard. If the Lakers don't bite they still have a solid bench with Iggy starting.

jeebus
07-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Utah already tanking for det draft

Robz4000
07-05-2013, 03:30 PM

To trade to the Lakers with Bogut for Bible Kemp.

JamStone
07-05-2013, 03:31 PM
If the salary cap is say $60 million next season, that means every team must meet the salary cap floor of $54 million. I think the Jazz are sitting on a payroll of around $20 million. So unless they sign some high priced free agents, it would be difficult for them to meet the salary cap floor. This is a product of the latest CBA. And if you consider that, it does make some sense.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Multiple draft picks, but GS should be a playoff team again so it's not like the pick is going to be a lottery pick. UTA ok with the possibility of not being so good. Makes sense for them because they have a healthy amount of decent young talent (Kanter/Favors/Hayward/Burks/Evans/Burke). Give them run, grow them and still have a shot at multiple picks in what appears to be a deep draft.

jeebus
07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Jarrett Jack won't be returning. Lakers should sign him to back up Blake as Nash will be injured all year again.

Mal
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Jarrett Jack won't be returning. Lakers should sign him to back up Blake as Nash will be injured all year again.

With what ? They are paying to kirbson half of cap.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:36 PM
So they can possible sign and trade Barnes and Bogut for Howard. If the Lakers don't bite they still have a solid bench with Iggy starting.

I guess so, but that is risky and quite a bit of money to pay to Iggy if that doesn't work and now you are stunting growth possibly. Plus GS would have a ton of cap space next year to really build their team around Klay/Barnes/Curry. Not a terrible idea overall, but we just have to see how it all works out for both sides.

jeebus
07-05-2013, 03:36 PM
With what ? They are paying to kirbson half of cap.
They can sell ad space on the side of the arena where the Coward banners used to hang.

Thread
07-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Just garbage.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I just ultimately don't get why UTA would help a team out so much for what appear to be non-lottery picks. GS has so many options now it's crazy.

Mal
07-05-2013, 03:40 PM
They can sell ad space on the side of the arena where the Coward banners used to hang.

:lol

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:42 PM

To trade to the Lakers with Bogut for Bible Kemp.

I get why GS does it for the most part, but UTA. The cap floor not enough of an excuse.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:43 PM
But, the key to long term success is the draft. You have to turn non lottery picks into players so giving up many picks could hurt long term.

Robz4000
07-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Utah is going into full-on tank mode tbh. Not even trying to hide it anymore.

jeebus
07-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I really hope RJ is a starter on the Jizz. That would be so swell.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Utah is going into full-on tank mode tbh. Not even trying to hide it anymore.

Well, tbh, is losing Millsap/Mo/Jefferson making them that much worse? Kanter/Favors appear to be just as impactful (maybe not at the moment, but you see potential) and if Burke turns out to be decent, Mo is easily replaceable. They lack depth, but from an overall perspective are they that much worse in reality? Perhaps.

The key here is they took away almost all of GS's problems in one swoop which very few teams could have done so they should have been rewarded for that. They didn't get any young talent (Rush is not that great at all and isn't all that young) and the picks won't be lottery if things go as planned for GS. All in all, they probably didn't get enough (unless more reports come out), but I see somewhat why they did it and they will be in a great spot next year cap space wise.

Mel_13
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
I get why GS does it for the most part, but UTA. The cap floor not enough of an excuse.

Sure it is. The other way to get above the floor without committing any long term money is by signing a bunch of one year deals. This way they fill the roster, maintain payroll flexibility, get more ping pong balls, and get a few extra draft picks in the process. It's remarkable what you can do when winning this season has zero priority.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Sure it is. The other way to get above the floor without committing any long term money is by signing a bunch of one year deals. This way they fill the roster, maintain payroll flexibility, get more ping pong balls, and get a few extra draft picks in the process. It's remarkable what you can do when winning this season has zero priority.

:lol I guess that is true and I touched on that in my other post about a good chance to actually develop their young talent while getting cheap talent in a good draft, but until I hear more details, just one non-lottery pick for saving a team doesn't seem like good value.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Based on my calculations, they are still about 5M short of the cap floor (at 58.5M cap, they need to be at ~52M).

Mel_13
07-05-2013, 04:05 PM
:lol I guess that is true and I touched on that in my other post about a good chance to actually develop their young talent while getting cheap talent in a good draft, but until I hear more details, just one non-lottery pick for saving a team doesn't seem like good value.

That's the way we're conditioned to look at these deals. My first reaction, and post, was that the Utah FO should be fired. When you look at it a little closer though, this trade solved Utah's problems all at once. Of course, that's once you assume that they've made an organizational decision to tank. They have a loyal enough fan base to get away with it for one season.

Robz4000
07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, tbh, is losing Millsap/Mo/Jefferson making them that much worse? Kanter/Favors appear to be just as impactful (maybe not at the moment, but you see potential) and if Burke turns out to be decent, Mo is easily replaceable. They lack depth, but from an overall perspective are they that much worse in reality? Perhaps.

The key here is they took away almost all of GS's problems in one swoop which very few teams could have done so they should have been rewarded for that. They didn't get any young talent (Rush is not that great at all and isn't all that young) and the picks won't be lottery if things go as planned for GS. All in all, they probably didn't get enough (unless more reports come out), but I see somewhat why they did it and they will be in a great spot next year cap space wise.

They're doing it more for their own pick rather than that GS pick, as well for the cap space you mentioned. Even if they kept Big Al and Millsap they'd be in a terrible state of purgatory where they'renot good enough to contend but not bad enough to get a good pick. They've finally wizened up. Problem is it's pretty damn obvious yet the NBA will allow it because it leads the way for an up-and-coming team to get more exciting.

jeebus
07-05-2013, 04:08 PM
From here on out, I dub the Jizz as Salt Tank City

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 04:27 PM
That's the way we're conditioned to look at these deals. My first reaction, and post, was that the Utah FO should be fired. When you look at it a little closer though, this trade solved Utah's problems all at once. Of course, that's once you assume that they've made an organizational decision to tank. They have a loyal enough fan base to get away with it for one season.

Also, I'm looking at their ability to draft well. Even non-lottery picks can be damn valuable, it just depends on what they do with them. Like most trades, they have long tails with regards to truly evaluating.

jeebus
07-05-2013, 04:29 PM
lol

Mel_13
07-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Also, I'm looking at their ability to draft well. Even non-lottery picks can be damn valuable, it just depends on what they do with them. Like most trades, they have long tails with regards to truly evaluating.

And they have to remain committed to the tank job. None of this feisty underdog fighting for the 8th seed.

JamStone
07-05-2013, 04:30 PM

How else can Utah reach that cap floor if they can't sign any significant free agents? They'd have to give several guys who are worth the veteran minimum something like $7-10 million, one year deals, which sounds even more ridiculous. The latest CBA is basically forcing small market teams to spend money every year. The fact that both Biedrins and Jefferson have only one year left each on their contracts makes the trade much more reasonable when you factor in the salary cap factor.

Mel_13
07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
lol

So true.

DPG21920
07-05-2013, 04:38 PM
How else can Utah reach that cap floor if they can't sign any significant free agents? They'd have to give several guys who are worth the veteran minimum something like $7-10 million, one year deals, which sounds even more ridiculous. The latest CBA is basically forcing small market teams to spend money every year. The fact that both Biedrins and Jefferson have only one year left each on their contracts makes the trade much more reasonable when you factor in the salary cap factor.

Well, my statement was in conjunction with the other part of the trade. Now that we know it's multiple first rounders and 2nd rounders, makes more sense. It was about leverage. Very few teams would be willing and/or could take care of GS's problems in one swoop like UTA did.

Rogue
07-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Utah has entered the rebuilding process since they traded Deron away imho, or since they let Sloan go.