PDA

View Full Version : Spurs key weaknesses and how they've been addressed (so far...)

TDfan2007
07-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Heading into the offseason these Spurs didn't have too much in terms of a weakness (as with most teams that make the Finals), but here are a few:

Key Weaknesses:
-No "iso" superstar to bail you out when plays go to shit
-Soft big men. The Spurs have 3 versatile big men with above average passing skills, but one of them is Charmin soft (Splitter), and two of them are subpar rebounders (Splitter and Diaw)
-ZERO rim protection when Timmy sits
-Broken 6th man
-No serviceable backup SF

How the weaknesses have been addressed:
-Getting an "iso" superstar who can get his own shot off against almost anybody is a luxury that the Spurs could not afford. As of now, their best isolation player is still Tim Duncan, but Kawhi is showing potential.
-Diaw opts in and the Spurs resign Splitter to a contract that seems a bit puzzling, but with the seemingly endless stupidity/desperation of NBA GMs for a decent big, Tiago's final contract doesn't look too terrible.
-The Spurs still don't have any rim protection when Timmy sits. Splitter is simply not strong enough, long enough, or athletic enough to intimidate drivers.
-The Spurs looked to solve their broken 6th Man issue by resigning Manu to a cheaper deal and signing Bellinelli. Bellinelli is a solid shooter and passable defender with inconsistent playmaking ability. Spurs fans hoping for Bellinelli to be our savior need a reality check, but he definitely helps with team depth.
-Bellinelli may struggle as a SF, but it looks like either he or Manu will have to play SF.

Assessment:
-The Spurs seemed intent on resigning Splitter. There were rumors that they might do a sign and trade for Gortat, but that deal never went through. I'm not sure if the Spurs are better off, worse off, or if it's all a wash.
-Manu's new contract was too high, imo, but I'm hoping that he proves me wrong. With a summer of rest and healing, Manu might be poised for a resurgent season.
-Bellinelli seems like another Manu, and it would've been nice to get somebody with a little bit more athleticism on the wings, because we're sorely lacking in that department.
-The Spurs still have the MLE left, and who knows what they'll do with it, but I'd like to either get a big body or maybe a serviceable backup SF.
-The fact remains that our oldest player and most important defensive piece is once again going to be asked to carry a HUGE load, and the defense will once again be utter shit whenever he sits.

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about this offseason. I know better than to expect blockbuster deals, but adding more athleticism and toughness would've been nice. What do you guys think?

Mal
07-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Spurs were fucked because they had only 2 players, who could handle the ball vs Heat aggressive defense. One was hurt, one was passing to the wrong teammates. They didnt solved it. 2nd unit is fucked with Manu being only one who can handle the ball.

Spurs didnt have good lineup for smallball. Kawhi is too thin, Diaw is too fat.

SpursRock20
07-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Free agency isn't over quite yet. As of right now, I am not amused with the off season. But there are still names out there and I expect the Spurs to do one more move before the start of the season.

Agloco
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Best iso player is Timmy? I'd have to go with Parker tbh. Also, they need to get a small ball 4. Hopefully AK47 is still an option.

slick'81
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Yup they haven't addressed shit except keeping splitter which they'll need with dwight and josh smith in Houston.they still don't have a back up pg and haven't replaced Jackson as a sf with length and scoring off the pine.they need another player who can create his own shot

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
IMHO the Spurs really didn't make any improvements, at least so far. They needed a backup PG to Tony Parker or a ball handler off the bench. They didn't address that issue. The Spurs needed a versatile PF that can punish point guards and shooting guards on mismatches since Splitter is incapable of doing so. They didn't really address that issue. If the Spurs are healthy come playoff time, god willingly, I think the biggest threat will be OKC, GSW (assuming they resign Jarrett Jack), and the Heat. The Spurs have the necessary tools to deal with big teams such as the Clippers and Rockets.

Kidd K
07-05-2013, 07:15 PM
I expected more. Not some big super signing, but I really hoped we would bring in an extra playmaker to help carry the load when Parker's not on the floor. Manu cannot be trusted to carry that load when it really counts anymore. We need someone to help him out, which by proxy actually helps relieve the load Parker has to carry too which would allow him to be more rested as games close out.

I agree about the big man problem (though I don't think Duncan's soft at all), but I didn't expect it to be addressed. Unlike playmaking guards, a good or even decent big man is usually a lot more expensive. I just expected Splitter to be gone and a cheaper defensive big (but bad offense) to replace him, then use the extra money to help add a backup SF and a playmaker for our backcourt.

Anyway, I guess there's still the possibility of adding an MLE, but I don't see anybody any good coming. Belinelli, I think you're really overrating as well. "seems like another Manu"? He really doesn't. Manu at his worst handling the ball is about as good as Belinelli at his best. More like just another Gary Neal but with worse shooting and slightly better defense. Lateral move at best there imo.

We're still short an extra ballhandler, and that's going to be our undoing again just like it was last season. We don't have anyone who's shown the potential to take over that role that we have right now. We had to bring someone in, and so far, haven't. That's my biggest worry going forward still. It's a big, glaring weakness. Our big men could've been improved, but priority one was to get another playmaker in here imo.

Now the best we can hope for is a backup SF to be added, and we'll be going without that extra playmaker.

TheGoldStandard
07-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I think the Spurs are really hoping that Kawhi will be there go to guy outside of Parker when they need to "iso" lets not forget that Manu runs a lot of iso stuff with the 2nd unit which is probably not a good thing given his turnover problems.

Soft big men outside of Duncan can only be solved if Tiago goes to the weight room and gains another 20 pounds of muscle especially in his legs but that'll just slow him down even more. He's affective against un-athletic big men on the defensive end because he can react faster but when it comes to anyone who has any kind of athletics he folds up because he doesn't have power to back them down or he holds the ball too low so he gets stripped easy and blocked easy. I think Spurs will keep him around for 2 years while this last run is in order and then dump him when they're trying to free up salary to bring in other players to replace the Duncan/Manu when they walk away. Tiago has reached his ceiling offensively.

The Bellineli deal is good though, they went lateral replacing Neal but Marco offers a little more oomph. He's a better ball handler

Sean Cagney
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes, they have not addressed some needs this offseason I hoped they would. This sucks so far.

SpursRock20
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
I expected more. Not some big super signing, but I really hoped we would bring in an extra playmaker to help carry the load when Parker's not on the floor. Manu cannot be trusted to carry that load when it really counts anymore. We need someone to help him out, which by proxy actually helps relieve the load Parker has to carry too which would allow him to be more rested as games close out.

I agree about the big man problem (though I don't think Duncan's soft at all), but I didn't expect it to be addressed. Unlike playmaking guards, a good or even decent big man is usually a lot more expensive. I just expected Splitter to be gone and a cheaper defensive big (but bad offense) to replace him, then use the extra money to help add a backup SF and a playmaker for our backcourt.

Anyway, I guess there's still the possibility of adding an MLE, but I don't see anybody any good coming. Belinelli, I think you're really overrating as well. "seems like another Manu"? He really doesn't. Manu at his worst handling the ball is about as good as Belinelli at his best. More like just another Gary Neal but with worse shooting and slightly better defense. Lateral move at best there imo.

We're still short an extra ballhandler, and that's going to be our undoing again just like it was last season. We don't have anyone who's shown the potential to take over that role that we have right now. We had to bring someone in, and so far, haven't. That's my biggest worry going forward still. It's a big, glaring weakness. Our big men could've been improved, but priority one was to get another playmaker in here imo.

Now the best we can hope for is a backup SF to be added, and we'll be going without that extra playmaker.
Good points. What issue do you think should be resolved first: the extra ballhandler issue or another SF? I believe that both need to be addressed. It might be pricier to sign another SF but it's probably more important. As for as an extra ballhandler that might be had for cheap, I liked what I saw out of Prigoni last season in New York. He is not a scorer but he is a very good passer and can take care of the ball. I know he's pretty old, but he might like to come play with his fellow countryman. What's your thoughts?

ElNono
07-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Not worried here. I don't think they're done in the market yet, but I'm not expecting anything major.

I think the Spurs are going to take their time to see what the team looks like with some internal improvement, and they might address any needs by flipping Bonner's expiring within the season. Frankly, with the next draft being loaded, a lot of teams might just decide to tank early, and there might be some interesting pieces to be grabbed next February.

Overall, this team was good enough to win a championship, so I didn't expect them to make any major moves.

TDfan2007
07-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Best iso player is Timmy? I'd have to go with Parker tbh. Also, they need to get a small ball 4. Hopefully AK47 is still an option.

There is only one player on the team that the Spurs consistently run iso plays for, and that guys is Timmy. Tony's skill set is better suited to pick and roll play.

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Good points. What issue do you think should be resolved first: the extra ballhandler issue or another SF? I believe that both need to be addressed. It might be pricier to sign another SF but it's probably more important. As for as an extra ballhandler that might be had for cheap, I liked what I saw out of Prigoni last season in New York. He is not a scorer but he is a very good passer and can take care of the ball. I know he's pretty old, but he might like to come play with his fellow countryman. What's your thoughts?Prigioni is resigning with the Knicks so don't count on it. I think Chauncy Billups for the veteran's minimum would be great.

Snaq O'Meal
07-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Parker is the Spurs' best iso player, but the Heat's defence is pretty effective in dealing with guards.

What the Spurs lack is a big man who can expose their weakness in the low post, like a Roy Hibbert. Tbh, there aren't many such options in free agency. Bynum is a head case, and the Spurs never showed any interest in Pekovic. Even a healthy Oden may not be a good option, since he was never one who demanded the ball to impose his will on offence.

SpursRock20
07-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Prigioni is resigning with the Knicks so don't count on it. I think Chauncy Billups for the veteran's minimum would be great.
Damn, didn't know that he was resigned. Looks like he got a 3 year deal worth 6 million. Good for him. I think Chauncey is a really big shot in the dark, the guy looks beyond done.

TDfan2007
Not worried here. I don't think they're done in the market yet, but I'm not expecting anything major.

I think the Spurs are going to take their time to see what the team looks like with some internal improvement, and they might address any needs by flipping Bonner's expiring within the season. Frankly, with the next draft being loaded, a lot of teams might just decide to tank early, and there might be some interesting pieces to be grabbed next February.

Overall, this team was good enough to win a championship, so I didn't expect them to make any major moves.

Internal improvement from KL, CJ, and Splitter (although I just don't think he understands post play...) would be fantastic, but unless Manu has a resurgent season and Tiago's balls drop, I think we're missing a few pieces.

TheGoldStandard
Prigioni is resigning with the Knicks so don't count on it. I think Chauncy Billups for the veteran's minimum would be great.

For 20 games.

Hoops Czar
07-05-2013, 07:31 PM
They need size and people here are asking them to waste it on bullshit perimeter players.

coyotes_geek
07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
This thread is premature by about two months.

SpursRock20
07-05-2013, 07:34 PM
They need size and people here are asking them to waste it on bullshit perimeter players.
We have two 7 footers whose combined talent is arguably better than any other tandem in the entire league. (And yes I know Tiago shat the bed in the Finals)

TheGoldStandard
07-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Internal improvement from KL, CJ, and Splitter (although I just don't think he understands post play...) would be fantastic, but unless Manu has a resurgent season and Tiago's balls drop, I think we're missing a few pieces.

I see KL having a pretty good year, not much changing though offensively though, he'll just get more plays run for him out of timeouts and when Parker is not in the game. Still going to run a lot of Pick N Roll and look to kick to shooters. CJ needs minutes next year, can't stress that enough, he's shown flashes but unless he gets the minutes that the backup PG should have he won't get chemistry with this team. Splitter, I think is over paid for his skill set but given the mediocrity of GM's someone would have overpaid him so The Spurs didn't want to match a huge offer and paid him. Given that, I think his numbers are masked by the fact that he plays along side Tim Duncan, it would help anyone in fact playing that Center position especially given Tim's resurgence and dedication to do more things within himself. Pop trusted Tiago to be alone on the court too many times in the Finals in critical moments and almost every time we lost a lead. I don't think he develops a post game, still think he continues to use his up and under moves and that sweeping hook. Most of his points are on put backs and pick and roll situations when Manu is in the game.. Could turn out to be a flop of a deal.

silverblk mystix
07-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Pop still coaching - no title next year either.

Russ
07-05-2013, 07:38 PM
I think Chauncy Billups for the veteran's minimum would be great.

:worthy: (If healthy.)

Hoops Czar
07-05-2013, 07:53 PM
We have two 7 footers whose combined talent is arguably better than any other tandem in the entire league. (And yes I know Tiago shat the bed in the Finals)

Tiago has zero offensive game and is totally dependent on being setup by the pass. Duncan spends the majority of time outside the paint on offense. Maybe you'v noticed how badly the defense slips when Duncan is on the bench. You don't want a 37 year old playing 30+ minutes during the regular season and Tiago doesn't do rebounds or blocked shots.

Tim_duncan21
07-05-2013, 08:19 PM
We need someone to bail out TP when the defense is focusing on him.

TheGoldStandard
07-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Pop still coaching - no title next year either.

Wouldn't it be some shit if next year we're in a position to win, Kawhi is beasting and then he decides to take him out and puts in XYZ player..

Agloco
07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
There is only one player on the team that the Spurs consistently run iso plays for, and that guys is Timmy. Tony's skill set is better suited to pick and roll play.

I understand your point, but that doesn't change the fact that Parker is their best iso player.

Seefourdc
07-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Parker is definitely the Spurs best ISO player, but peoples opinion of him soured due to LBJ making him look like a 3rd string shot chucker with his stat lines the last few games. At least he didn't go 0-7 like that fool Stephenson in the previous series.

TDfan2007
07-05-2013, 09:00 PM
If Tony was the Spurs best iso player, then he would get iso plays called for him. That's how the system works. Tony's lack of length and average leaping ability hurts him in iso situations.

Anyway, I do agree that I wish we got tougher up front. Thus far I don't think that any of the team's weaknesses have been addressed. Spurs still have the MLE though, so we'll see what happens.

spursince#99
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Like I said, we're gonna look so fucking pathetic next year. :depressed

Brunodf
07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
1- The coach overplay scrubs/always counter/never dictate the matchups

TheGoldStandard
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM

Los of Matt Bonner, he has to earn that 4M

BackHome
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Spurs were fucked because they had only 2 players, who could handle the ball vs Heat aggressive defense. One was hurt, one was passing to the wrong teammates. They didnt solved it. 2nd unit is fucked with Manu being only one who can handle the ball.

Spurs didnt have good lineup for smallball. Kawhi is too thin, Diaw is too fat.

+1

therealtruth
07-05-2013, 09:52 PM

We need someone to bail out TP when the defense is focusing on him.

I think this is the biggest issue. We averaged only 13 assists in game 6-7. That isn't our formula for winning. I think TMac should have been given a try. Hopefully Kawhi can develop more point-forward abilities in his game.

Watch Splitter's work in the post against OKC earlier this year.

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Parker is definitely the Spurs best ISO player, but peoples opinion of him soured due to LBJ making him look like a 3rd string shot chucker with his stat lines the last few games. At least he didn't go 0-7 like that fool Stephenson in the previous series or turned the ball over like that fool Ginobili in Game 6.

Kidd K
07-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Good points. What issue do you think should be resolved first: the extra ballhandler issue or another SF? I believe that both need to be addressed. It might be pricier to sign another SF but it's probably more important. As for as an extra ballhandler that might be had for cheap, I liked what I saw out of Prigoni last season in New York. He is not a scorer but he is a very good passer and can take care of the ball. I know he's pretty old, but he might like to come play with his fellow countryman. What's your thoughts?

We needed an extra ball handler and playmaker before everything else imo. So that's still our priority one. I think with our given staff, we could actually squeak by without a real backup SF by rotating Ginobili, Green, Belinelli, and on rare occaision, Diaw in the role. "Going small" so to speak, or big with Diaw. Leonard is young and probably able to play mid 30s minutes, so we'd only really need 12 or so minutes of SF to be filled in for per game in a fairly minor role.

On the other hand, we only have two ball handlers who play a combined 55 minutes a game last year out of 96 over their two positions. Rarely using them together (where they're actually best) because we needed them apart. So that equates to only about 8 minutes a game together. If we had a third playmaker (backup PG like Nate Robinson for example), we would have a playmaker on the floor at all times, and have plenty of overlap and time with two on the floor at once for extra options and no one getting exhausted having to carry the full load or keep throwing it in to Timmy over and over to get some rest.

I knew we weren't going to "upgrade" from Splitter. Truth be told, while I realize everyone (including me somewhat) is disappointed in him, his talent level and production wasn't going to be improved on. There's not a reasonable salaried guy whom we could argue would definitely be better. Getting Splitter back was probably the "best move" we could've made. . .though it did come kind of expensive.

The Spurs still have an MLE to sign a backup SF, and I expect that's what they'll do. Very likely not a playmaker either, just an average defender/spot up shooter type guy with limited capabilities. I'm okay with the big man situation (not happy, but not mad). I just wish we'd go harder after someone like Nate. We needed that extra playmaker pretty badly.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Prigoni was a terrible ballhandler. I would grade him as even worse than Nando De Colo who I don't rate highly at all. I'm editting this part because I looked up his stats after I posted just to make sure I wasn't being too hard on him from what I saw of him, and whoa, he's even worse than I recall. Dude turns the ball over constantly. He's one of only two guards to turn the ball over at a higher rate than Nando who have played at least as many minutes as him. 27.1% TOV% despite having an only 11.7% USG%. Sloppy Nando had a 23.7% TOV% on his 17.1% USG%. Only Jamal Tinsley played as many minutes and managed to be worse (30.2% TOV%/13.1% USG%). And Tinsley posted the 3rd worst TOV% for guards in the history of the NBA for players who played at least 1,200 minutes in a season. So being better than him is kind of not saying much.

cjw
07-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Parker is the Spurs' best iso player, but the Heat's defence is pretty effective in dealing with guards.

What the Spurs lack is a big man who can expose their weakness in the low post, like a Roy Hibbert. Tbh, there aren't many such options in free agency. Bynum is a head case, and the Spurs never showed any interest in Pekovic. Even a healthy Oden may not be a good option, since he was never one who demanded the ball to impose his will on offence.

I guess you weren't watching the first half of game 6? Timmy played one of the best halves in finals history there by toying with the Heat in the post.

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2013, 11:51 PM
We needed an extra ball handler and playmaker before everything else imo. So that's still our priority one. I think with our given staff, we could actually squeak by without a real backup SF by rotating Ginobili, Green, Belinelli, and on rare occaision, Diaw in the role. "Going small" so to speak, or big with Diaw. Leonard is young and probably able to play mid 30s minutes, so we'd only really need 12 or so minutes of SF to be filled in for per game in a fairly minor role.

On the other hand, we only have two ball handlers who play a combined 55 minutes a game last year out of 96 over their two positions. Rarely using them together (where they're actually best) because we needed them apart. So that equates to only about 8 minutes a game together. If we had a third playmaker (backup PG like Nate Robinson for example), we would have a playmaker on the floor at all times, and have plenty of overlap and time with two on the floor at once for extra options and no one getting exhausted having to carry the full load or keep throwing it in to Timmy over and over to get some rest.

I knew we weren't going to "upgrade" from Splitter. Truth be told, while I realize everyone (including me somewhat) is disappointed in him, his talent level and production wasn't going to be improved on. There's not a reasonable salaried guy whom we could argue would definitely be better. Getting Splitter back was probably the "best move" we could've made. . .though it did come kind of expensive.

The Spurs still have an MLE to sign a backup SF, and I expect that's what they'll do. Very likely not a playmaker either, just an average defender/spot up shooter type guy with limited capabilities. I'm okay with the big man situation (not happy, but not mad). I just wish we'd go harder after someone like Nate. We needed that extra playmaker pretty badly.I agree. FO should prioritize getting an extra ball handler off the bench to relieve Manu off his playmaking duties. Parker is getting older and we can't rely on TP being our only offensive threat. Kawhi can step up but with his jumper knee issues, I'm not sure how many minutes he would be able to play. I rather Pop play it safe and monitor his minutes which is what Pop is a master at. We don't know how reliable Tim Duncan will be offensively this upcoming season so Spurs NEED another playmaker.

benfti
07-06-2013, 12:04 AM
I am utterly staggered that the spurs play over 100 games a year, inc finals and preseason and people dont understand

WE DONT RUN "ISO" OFFENCE

we are a pass first team who run the pick n roll.

ISO ball is for teams with collective low IQ players.

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2013, 12:14 AM
I am utterly staggered that the spurs play over 100 games a year, inc finals and preseason and people dont understand

ISO ball is for teams with collective low IQ players.The Spurs were running ISO's in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. Remember what happened? Manu had a "Giiiinoooooboli" vintage performance and TP had a decent game despite playing with hurt hamstring. Very rarely do the Spurs play ISO's but I know that TP and Manu are capable of doing so. I wish the Spurs would have attempted more ISO's against the Heat, especially in Game 6. For some odd reason after having success in Game 5 running ISO's, the Spurs reverted back to their pick n roll allowing the Heat to do their blitz/double teams and forcing Manu and TP to become passive.

jestersmash
07-06-2013, 12:16 AM

A lot of people said the same thing after 8.

SpursRock20
07-06-2013, 12:24 AM

The Spurs still have an MLE to sign a backup SF, and I expect that's what they'll do. Very likely not a playmaker either, just an average defender/spot up shooter type guy with limited capabilities. I'm okay with the big man situation (not happy, but not mad). I just wish we'd go harder after someone like Nate. We needed that extra playmaker pretty badly.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Prigoni was a terrible ballhandler. I would grade him as even worse than Nando De Colo who I don't rate highly at all. I'm editting this part because I looked up his stats after I posted just to make sure I wasn't being too hard on him from what I saw of him, and whoa, he's even worse than I recall. Dude turns the ball over constantly. He's one of only two guards to turn the ball over at a higher rate than Nando who have played at least as many minutes as him. 27.1% TOV% despite having an only 11.7% USG%. Sloppy Nando had a 23.7% TOV% on his 17.1% USG%. Only Jamal Tinsley played as many minutes and managed to be worse (30.2% TOV%/13.1% USG%). And Tinsley posted the 3rd worst TOV% for guards in the history of the NBA for players who played at least 1,200 minutes in a season. So being better than him is kind of not saying much.

Thanks for getting back to me and I liked your analysis. As for me being so wrong on Prigoni, it might have been because the most I saw out of him was in the playoffs and I was pretty impressed. He only averaged a little more than 1 turnover per 42 minutes of playing time.

Brunodf
07-06-2013, 12:24 AM

ISO ball is for teams with collective low IQ players.
Small ball did run iso offense only

Solid D
07-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Parker, Duncan and Ginobili are all super iso players. They just don't stay iso'd. No star stays iso'd for long.
Even at Ginobili's advanced age, no defender wants to get caught trying to stop him without help. He's too good.

Getting another player who can create their own shot in addition to those 3 night be a more accurate reflection of a team need. Kawhi may turn out to be that guy.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2013, 01:02 AM
:lol the Spurs were a Popovich blunder away from winning the title, tbh..the majority of the posters here have been acting like this team is supremely flawed and needs a major facelift..

There aren't any powerhouse teams in the West, there isn't Shaq's Lakers, prime Duncan's Spurs, Gasol's Lakers or even Nowitzki's Mavs, tbh..the competition is full of flawed teams and overrated teams(Warriors, Clippers, etc)..

The Spurs have some flaws, but the rest of the West has even more flaws, tbh:lol..

The Spurs still potentially have cap room to make a move, too..adding a guy like AK should put the Spurs a level ahead of the conference, tbh..

therealtruth
07-06-2013, 01:08 AM
The Spurs were running ISO's in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. Remember what happened? Manu had a "Giiiinoooooboli" vintage performance and TP had a decent game despite playing with hurt hamstring. Very rarely do the Spurs play ISO's but I know that TP and Manu are capable of doing so. I wish the Spurs would have attempted more ISO's against the Heat, especially in Game 6. For some odd reason after having success in Game 5 running ISO's, the Spurs reverted back to their pick n roll allowing the Heat to do their blitz/double teams and forcing Manu and TP to become passive.

Good point. Despite having alot of ISOs in game 5 we still managed over 20 assists. ISO's can be effective since they can open up shots for the role players. I think we've got lots of options for running offense that we can make more use of. We can use Splitter/Diaw in the post more and Kawhi/Green can handle the ball more. There might be some initial growing pains but the payoff will be in the playoffs when we won't have a single point of failure (TP).

Man In Black
07-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Last year Shaun Livingston made 773K. He's a Pick and Roll Playmaker with size at 6'7" and now, the Nets are making a run at him. They see what I do, that he's a very solid backup PG with necessary skills to help a team win. The Nets are going to use their new pieces to try and force their way to the top of the Eastern Conference and beyond.

So, why not Shaun Livingston? Spurs can take him away from a possible contender plus get a solid backup PG who gives Pop an added playmaker and removes the over reliance on Manu.

therealtruth
07-06-2013, 01:11 AM
:lol the Spurs were a Popovich blunder away from winning the title, tbh..the majority of the posters here have been acting like this team is supremely flawed and needs a major facelift..

There aren't any powerhouse teams in the West, there isn't Shaq's Lakers, prime Duncan's Spurs, Gasol's Lakers or even Nowitzki's Mavs, tbh..the competition is full of flawed teams and overrated teams(Warriors, Clippers, etc)..

The Spurs have some flaws, but the rest of the West has even more flaws, tbh:lol..

The Spurs still potentially have cap room to make a move, too..adding a guy like AK should put the Spurs a level ahead of the conference, tbh..

AK's not coming for the mid-level.

sventhedog
07-06-2013, 01:22 AM
accept it. it's the curse for loyalty to your big 3.

ElNono
07-06-2013, 01:29 AM
50 win seasons, back to back WCF and NBA Finals is a curse?

There's probably 20+ teams that would love to be cursed, tbh

therealtruth
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Last year Shaun Livingston made 773K. He's a Pick and Roll Playmaker with size at 6'7" and now, the Nets are making a run at him. They see what I do, that he's a very solid backup PG with necessary skills to help a team win. The Nets are going to use their new pieces to try and force their way to the top of the Eastern Conference and beyond.

So, why not Shaun Livingston? Spurs can take him away from a possible contender plus get a solid backup PG who gives Pop an added playmaker and removes the over reliance on Manu.

I think it's useful to have a playmaker that is tall enough to pass over the defense.

Darkwaters
07-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Blair was a weakness (albeit, a small one considering how he never played). Pendergraph on paper looks to be an upgrade.

Darkwaters
07-06-2013, 12:59 PM

I'm definitely open to Shaun Livingston.

The problem is that I don't want to dip into the MLE to get him. This basically means another minimum contract. But then you have to convince him about playing time when you'll have Joseph, Mills and De Colo all around on the same roster and all making more money than him (except perhaps Mills).

Kidd K
07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks for getting back to me and I liked your analysis. As for me being so wrong on Prigoni, it might have been because the most I saw out of him was in the playoffs and I was pretty impressed. He only averaged a little more than 1 turnover per 42 minutes of playing time.

His stats look worse than I remember him being too. Sometimes we don't catch everything though, especially if we don't catch every game. It's weird how high his turnover frequency was. He has a good assist to turnover ratio though, so it seems to be a matter of "forcing it" a bit too often but still being successful a decent portion of the itme rather than just throwing it away all the time with no success behind it.

I've gotten kinda paranoid about playmakers after Manu in the Finals last year, so I'd like to go with a safer bet and not grab up another gambler, ya know? We need someone more in the vein of Parker (his ballhandling and passing mentality, not his game which obviously we can't replicate) who makes plays but doesn't take dumb risks with his passes which keeps his turnovers down when it counts.

I'm really hoping the front office comes through and brings in someone though. I don't trust Nando at all, and CJo (while not sloppy) doesn't seem to have a high enough ceiling to carry our 2nd unit to a title.

Man In Black
07-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Shaun's officially a Net. And that ends my support for him to come to SA. Still, If he does what I think he can, Brooklyn will be happy that CJ Watson bailed on them.