PDA

View Full Version : If you ever make a poor business decision and need a quick pick-me up...

GrandeDavid
07-18-2005, 09:14 AM
...just think of Kellen Winslow and his incredibly costly err in judgement.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050717/COL04/507170351/1067/SPT02

NFL Insider
Winslow paying big price; Recklessness on motorcycle already has cost him money and playing time

By Mark Curnutte
Enquirer staff writer

The legal issues surrounding Kellen Winslow Jr.'s motorcycle accident May 1 were concluded last week, but the young tight end is paying a high price for his mistake.

The legal details: He entered a plea of no contest to a charge of failing to control his vehicle and was fined $150. Two points were charged against his Ohio driver's license.

The bigger cost: Winslow is out for the season after requiring major surgery to repair the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. He flipped over the handlebars of the highly charged bike.

As a result of the accident, Winslow was in breach of his contract, a transgression that figures to force him to give up more than $10 million. His contract specifically prohibits hazardous activities such as riding a motorcycle.

- GD: what an immature, arrogant posture to take with your new employers. "Aw fvck it, nobody will ever know" just doesn't cut it in the business world. Intentionally breaching your multimillion contract is not only dishonest, its not a very bright thing, in general, to do.

The Browns reportedly have recouped $5.05 million in signing and option bonuses already paid to Winslow. The Browns aren't commenting. Another $2 million was due Friday, and it was widely believed the Browns withheld that amount. Winslow is due a final signing bonus payment of $950,000 on Dec. 15 and an option bonus payment of $2.4125 million on July 15 next year. That final payment might be honored by the Browns if Winslow is active and playing by then.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
After Jay Williams motorcycle accident, I thought we'd see a lot less of this type of recklessness by young players. It's crazy. (Side note: I wonder if Jay will be ready to play any time soon.) Not only do you lose $ and time, but you can easily lose your life.

GrandeDavid
07-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I know its classless to kick a man when he's down, but this is just a tragic example of everything which comprises poor decision making- arrogance, recklessness, flagrant disregard for one's person and employers, hefty financial penalty...man, what a mess!

Extra Stout
07-18-2005, 09:23 AM
But... but he's an f'in soldier!

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-18-2005, 09:46 AM
http://orl.breakfastclubamerica.com/photos/Kellen_Winslow.JPG

Now stop it all of you. My boy made a mistake and we're all allowed to make a mistake. You guys are just blowing this out of proportion.

Clandestino
07-18-2005, 09:51 AM
rothlesberger rides a motorcycle, without a helmet, and it's in his contract too

MannyIsGod
07-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, millionares or not, young people make a lot of stupid decisions. There's no reason to expect that to stop all of a sudden.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Well, millionares or not, young people make a lot of stupid decisions. There's no reason to expect that to stop all of a sudden.

:rolleyes

No one expects it to stop. But yes, you'd think as more and more players lose money and their health, some would stop and think a little more.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
:rolleyes

No one expects it to stop. But yes, you'd think as more and more players lose money and their health, some would stop and think a little more.
Well, then you give these guys more credit than I do. I don't think young twentysomethings who have pratically had a red carpet laid down at their feet for the entire portion of their adult lives have - for the most part - a mindset that would help them make good decisions.

Sportcamper
07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Talk about kicking someone when they are down? Does the pain & suffering of others really make you happy Grand David? You are like so many fans that don’t see that these are real people...

Wasn’t Winslow in a parking lot trying to learn to ride a motorcycle? He was not on the street racing his bike...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Winslow Jr. has always been a dumbass, just goes to show nothing has change.

It's really kinda sad. His dad is a good guy, and best I can tell tried to raise him well (I remember he even went down out of the stands during a Miami game to chew out his son when Jr. was showboating).

The guy's a complete moron. I hate to say it, but it's kinda fun watching him F himself over.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Wasn’t Winslow in a parking lot trying to learn to ride a motorcycle? He was not on the street racing his bike...

What part of "Don't ride a motorcycle" did he not understand? He shouldn't be bitching that he's getting too much shit.

He brought it on himself.

If he had been a passenger in a car and had the same injury happen, nobody would be saying shit.

If he hadn't welcomed criticism with his "soldier in a war" smack and essentially begging for humbleness when all he spouted was condescension, then maybe there'd be some leiniency.

You reap what you sow. Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear the first two times.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM

Yeah, and Kobe didn't rape that chick either, he just happened to have his dick out when she fell down on top of him with her pants down.

[/delusional laker fan]

GrandeDavid
07-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Talk about kicking someone when they are down? Does the pain & suffering of others really make you happy Grand David? You are like so many fans that don’t see that these are real people...

Man, I hope you were just being sarcastic.

Do you realize how silly your retort is? Seriously? To begin (yawn), I prefaced a reply saying I didn't enjoy kicking a man while he was down. Secondly, I never mentioned anything remotely about obtaining joy or happiness out of the suffering of others. Finally, did you not read that he is forbidden from riding motorcycles, according to his contract? Last I checked, riding a motorcyle in a parking lot is still riding a motorcycle.

This is not a comical thread, its sad. On the one hand I feel sorry for Winslow. Not only the money, but the guy's long term career could suffer.

But, nonetheless, this is the ultimate example of paying the price for breaching contract. Damn.

Guru of Nothing
07-18-2005, 08:13 PM
But... but he's an f'in soldier!

He's gone AWOL.

midgetonadonkey
07-18-2005, 08:50 PM
For that kind of money I wouldn't even watch somebody ride a motorcycle. Shit I wouldn't even ride a bike. I would practically give anything up for $10 million.

ducks
07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
you know this is why players need to go to school and actually have to do the work
and not be able to get by because they can play sports