PDA

View Full Version : "HOLD THAT THOUGHT": ESPN: Howard reportedly "50/50" with Lakers/Rockets

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Dwight Howard (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2384/dwight-howard) landed in Los Angeles on Friday evening and contacted the Lakers, telling them he is 50-50 on his decision to sign with either the Lakers or the Rockets, according to a league source.Howard's call to the Lakers came hours after a person from his camp informed the team that he would not re-sign with Los Angeles, according to the source.
More on the Lakershttp://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/lal.gifFor more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Lakers Index. Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/)

"He changed his mind," the source said. "Hey, he's Dwight. What can you say."
The source said Howard had a possible change of heart because of the extra $30 million he would be leaving on the table if he signs with Houston.
The Lakers can give Howard a five-year deal worth $118 million while Houston and all other teams can only offer $88 million over four years. No deal officially can be signed until Wednesday, when the league lifts its annual moratorium on player business.
Howard has told the Lakers that because of recent injuries to his back and shoulder, he realizes that the extra $30 million could be crucial if another injury hinders his playing ability or ends his career prematurely.
"He said he'll make his decision either later [Friday night] or early Saturday morning," the source said.
Earlier Friday, Dallas Mavericks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/dal/dallas-mavericks) owner Mark Cuban confirmed the Mavs are fully out of contention for Howard. The Golden State Warriors (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/gs/golden-state-warriors) and Atlanta Hawks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/atl/atlanta-hawks) also were told they are out of the running for Howard, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

widowmaker
07-05-2013, 09:01 PM
What a fucking drama queen.

BacktoBasics
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
After taxes there is very little difference. Surely his people have at least done the math.

Nathan Explosion
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
I bet you he saw all the reaction on Twitter and couldn't handle the negativity, so he changed his mind.

Because there's not state tax in Texas, he won't be leaving $30 million on the table. The gap is less than that.

Pentagruel
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Honestly, I think the media just jumped the gun and had no confirmation at all Howard was signing with the rockets. Daryl Morey even said there was no confirmation and Lakers said they had not been notified Dwight had made a decision. Howard is a child, no doubt, but this is clearly a case of deplorable journalism which they can conveniently blame of notorious waffler, Dwight.

in the end I believe Howard will resign with the lakers. There is more money there, he is familiar with the situation having played there for a year, and ultimately I think he is more likely to win a championship there if they axe dantoni and get a real coach.

jimo2305
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM
LOL this can't be real.. people slam lebron for "the decision" but at least he made a decision

kemak
07-05-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm sure it was the stupid billboards and hashtags that changed his mind. Oh and Nash's promise of a statue in 20 years....

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
LMAO... He wants to win a championship but he also wants to make a lot of $$$? Can't have them both.

Sean Cagney
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
LOL this can't be real.. people slam lebron for "the decision" but at least he made a decision

Yeah he did, and stuck by it.

Sean Cagney
07-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Honestly, I think the media just jumped the gun and had no confirmation at all Howard was signing with the rockets. Daryl Morey even said there was no confirmation and Lakers said they had not been notified Dwight had made a decision. Howard is a child, no doubt, but this is clearly a case of deplorable journalism which they can conveniently blame of notorious waffler, Dwight.

in the end I believe Howard will resign with the lakers. There is more money there, he is familiar with the situation having played there for a year, and ultimately I think he is more likely to win a championship there if they axe dantoni and get a real coach.

This is very very true.

This except the TITLE of course, I don't want them to win ANY of those anytime soon! NONE! :ihit

Seventyniner
07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
It's July 5. He can't sign until July 10. He will change his mind several dozen times per day, so I'm just going to ignore all this until he actually signs a contract.

Russ
07-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Whoever he goes with, don't ya bet he signs a one year deal?

There's always next summer to think about, ya know. :lol

TheGoldStandard
07-05-2013, 09:27 PM
The situation in LA is that they're about to fall off the map, They have 9 people on there roster, no cap space, can't bring anyone in.. They'll win enough to not be in the Lottery and won't have a draft pick that is meaningful, they don't have a 2015 pick either.

cd021
07-05-2013, 09:29 PM
After taxes there is very little difference. Surely his people have at least done the math.

Would no taxes really cover $30 million?

TheyCallMePro
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Darren Rovell is reporting that even after the California taxes cut away from the 30 million extra he could make in LA, he would STILL be making 9.3 million more than he would if he signed with the Rockets.

But all you guys saying Dwight is innocent in not ever making a decision here and blaming the media for this...get real! Dwight has a very select group of confidants who were with him in Aspen, Colorado when he told them he was signing with the Rockets. He knew full well that they leaked the news to the media. Knowing Dwight, I bet he told them to do it for him. He just changed his mind. Period.

therealtruth
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Rockets have got more upside.

CGD
07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Sweet lord, this guy is incredible.

cd021
07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
He could sign a 1 year deal and then sign a long term deal. He wouldn't lose money that way if im not mistaken. He'd only be 33 or 34 after that.

Lakers could S&T him but i'd imagine they don't want anything from them. I would make Howard make a decision and stick with it. I don't think he can play chicken with him. He opted into a final year of his contract that actually cost him several million just to be liked.

Vic Petro
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Once again Broussard proves he's an asshat with phantom sources

TheyCallMePro
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Now Woj is reporting that Howard has simply gone to LA to meet with Mitch Kupchak and personally inform him of his intention to sign with the Rockets and thank him for his time in LA...

If that's true...then that's just a double whammy to LA. I love it!

cd98
07-05-2013, 09:49 PM
That $30 million will come in handy when he retires and needs to support all his illegitimate kids.

TheyCallMePro
07-05-2013, 09:56 PM
That $30 million will come in handy when he retires and needs to support all his illegitimate kids.

Yeah...8 kids with 6 different women. Ouch.

Kool Bob Love
07-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Check his twitter https://twitter.com/DwightHoward

kemak
07-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like it's "officially" Rockets now.

Jwash_1986
07-05-2013, 10:03 PM
At least he did something right, he pulled out prematurely.

siraulo23
07-05-2013, 10:41 PM
kupchak's already made a statement that howard is not returning to the lakers

Kidd K
07-05-2013, 11:58 PM

I was just going to say this. Howard isn't actually losing anywhere near 30 million by going to Houston. Not even half that.

DJR210
07-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Man, if this is true this faggot is next in line to admit to Oprah he's gay.

I can't believe at one time I actually liked this fucking bastard.

dallasmaverickslose
07-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Yeah...8 kids with 6 different women. Ouch.

Congrats Dwight!