PDA

View Full Version : Article Ducks wanted posted on potential Rasho trade

Rummpd
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Per Request = this was posted on the private side of the Hoopsworld.com website on July 10 and "Ducks" wanted to see it.

(You can try out this site for $3 or so and also get a free mag SWISH)

By the way, this one is probably not going to happen and in my strong opinion Rasho and Tony probably both stay next year as Spurs will want to evaluate Nazr over at least half a season and see if Manu's co-patriot is really ready for the NBA before cutting lose Rasho (who was playing better before his injury).
Moreover, I see few guards that I would trade out Parker's upside for at point. Despite his alleged troubles in big games, Tony still has great potential, has two rings at a young age, and I believe is going to will himself into a tempered more steady playoff veteran in the near term.

Rasho for Hughes in 3-Way?

From July 1 to July 22, NBA teams are negotiating with free agents. Announced in this period, we already know that the Spurs' Robert Horry, Seattle's Ray Allen, and Milwaukee's Michael Redd have agreed to stay with their teams. And we know that Raja Bell and Larry Hughes are moving on to the Suns and Cavaliers, respectively.

But all these players and their teams in 2005-06, have only agreed to agree. The actual new contracts won't be signed for nearly two more weeks. The players' new salary is known by the parties, but the exact shape of the signings is not set in stone.

What I mean is that Bell, Hughes, and other FAs changing addresses could move outright, or there could be a sign & trade if the gaining and losing franchises agree to one. For the gaining team, sign & trade can be advantageous because cap-space is saved, maybe to gain yet another player. For the losing team, sign & trade is a way to at least get some considerations in return for a departing player.

Also, a sign & trade can include more than two teams, and this where teams like the Spurs could come in. A third or fourth team can sometimes help facilitate a deal. FA Glen Rice signed with the Lakers as part of a 4-team swap in 2000 that sent him to the Knicks. In 2003, Brad Miller actually signed his big new contract with the Pacers before moving to his new team the Kings.

The Miller deal was a 3-team sign & trade that the Spurs became a part of. Hedo Turkoglu of Sacramento and Ron Mercer of Indiana joined the Spurs in that deal. The transaction helped the Pacers better afford to max out their own FA Jermaine O'Neal that summer. San Antonio had a lot of cap-space in 2003, but this year they have none.

So, it wouldn't be as easy for the Spurs to get in sideways on a potential Larry Hughes sign & trade. But perhaps such a deal would help new exec Danny Ferry of the Cavs re-sign Zydrunas Ilgauskas or add some other player. Maybe - and I am probably reaching here - Ernie Grunfeld of the Wizards would like a veteran C like Rasho Nesterovic to replace his own FA Kwame Brown.

For the Spurs, role players like the Cavs' Ira Newble and the Wizards' restricted FA Steve Blake definitely have enough game to fill a spot on the Spurs' roster. Or perhaps San Antonio would simply settle for a second round draft pick just to move Rasho's big contract, which runs for four more years and $30 million.

Maybe the Spurs could sweeten things with Luis Scola's rights or Beno Udrih's economical rookie contract. Someday, Beno may be ready to run his own team. It's all about facilitating for a 3rd team in these potential sign & trade deals.

The Spurs could end up gaining a very large trade exception that would be usable for a year. With it, maybe they could make a huge deal near next February's trading deadline. Remember how the Pistons positioned themselves for an NBA Championship by acquiring Rasheed Wallace in 2004? And the Spurs added Nazr Mohammed this past season. He ended up starting on San Antonio's title team.

Becoming part of a 3-way sign & trade probably won't happen for the Spurs this summer, but I bet the Spurs' execs phoned Danny to see if such a deal was viable as soon as the Hughes news broke.

After reading the above, if you're thinking about Washington's Kwame Brown coming to San Antonio is such a swap, don't. Brown just doesn't have what the Spurs look for in a new player. Call it hunger or professionalism, the Spurs expect to see it. Maybe someday for Kwame. But not until he has hit bottom in his career. So far, he's had it made.

In other news: (From TRG) The Blazers have made it clear that they aren't interested in a sign-and-trade involving Shareef Abdur-Rahim, basically killing the idea that Rasho would be their next starting center, as was earlier speculated. The Spurs continue to have discussions about Rasho, who is the Spurs player most likely to be elsewhere next season.

Emmett Shaw covers the San Antonio Spurs for Basketball News Services.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onlineseats.com
your #1 source for
NBA Hoop Tickets
Heat Tickets
Suns Tickets
Bulls Tickets
Cleveland Cavs Tickets
all 30 NBA Teams.