PDA

View Full Version : PTR Predicts that Pendergraph Will be Our Backup SF/Capology

cd021
07-06-2013, 10:18 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/7/6/4498828/analyzing-the-jeff-pendergraph-signing-2013-Free-Agency-San-Antonio-Spurs

"So why am I excited about the signing? Mostly because we all wanted a combo forward. And while most of us wanted AK47 (myself included) Pendergraph could certainly be a better value. He's a 6'10 26 year old, who has primarily played as a power forward, most recently with the Indiana Pacers. As far as the Earl Clark comparisons go, he actually projects as a better rebounder (15.6% total rebound rate vs 13.1%), better shooter (53% TS vs 51%, 49%EFG vs 48%) , and better defender (99 defensive rating vs 105)."

"While Pop and RC would never guarantee minutes to someone, it's likely they promised him at least the opportunity to compete for the backup SF spot, while also being injury/rest insurance at the PF spot. He's certainly more familiar playing at the 4, as he operated as the third stringer behind West and Hansbrough. But it's likely to me he sees time at both places."

"his versatility certainly makes him a better fit on the team. With a solid 6'10 frame, a 7'1 wingspan, and an impressive vertical (better than Kawhi Leonard's, and also a better 3/4 court sprint), he has all the tools to cover multiple positions. The only thing possibly keeping him from playing small forward full time is his slight lack of lateral quickness, though he scored comparably to Tony Mitchell in lane agility. For those who don't know, Mitchell was widely regarded as one of the best all around athletes in this draft, and also is a tweener combo forward. Mostly, I expect him to eat some minutes in the early to mid season and attempt to earn Pop's trust to crack the tail end of the playoff rotation."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If he can play the 3 then this signing looks even better. I'm assuming his deal is for the minimum of $992,680 according to Hoopworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-minimum-salaries) He is entering his 5th season meaning this would be his going rate. If that's the case then the Spurs still have more than enough room to make more moves. If my numbers are accurate. The Spurs will have 1 spot open (with a possibility to amnesty Bonner, opening up another spot).

1 spot open ( Including Bonner, Beli and Pendergraph, no Neal)-$59,558,708 [Over cap b $1,5 million, with full MLE Available]
2 spots open ( Bonner amnestied, Beli and Pendergraph included & no Neal)-$55,613,708 [under cap by roughly $2.9 million, room exception available]

Using Hoopworld salaries
Splitter salary next season is listed as $8,400,000 (The Spurs could backload deal possibly)
Manu's isn't yet up but used a $5.5 Million figure

spursince#99
07-06-2013, 10:20 PM
GTFOH :lol

Sean Cagney
07-06-2013, 10:21 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/7/6/4498828/analyzing-the-jeff-pendergraph-signing-2013-Free-Agency-San-Antonio-Spurs

"So why am I excited about the signing? Mostly because we all wanted a combo forward. And while most of us wanted AK47 (myself included) Pendergraph could certainly be a better value. He's a 6'10 26 year old, who has primarily played as a power forward, most recently with the Indiana Pacers. As far as the Earl Clark comparisons go, he actually projects as a better rebounder (15.6% total rebound rate vs 13.1%), better shooter (53% TS vs 51%, 49%EFG vs 48%) , and better defender (99 defensive rating vs 105)."

"While Pop and RC would never guarantee minutes to someone, it's likely they promised him at least the opportunity to compete for the backup SF spot, while also being injury/rest insurance at the PF spot. He's certainly more familiar playing at the 4, as he operated as the third stringer behind West and Hansbrough. But it's likely to me he sees time at both places."

"his versatility certainly makes him a better fit on the team. With a solid 6'10 frame, a 7'1 wingspan, and an impressive vertical (better than Kawhi Leonard's, and also a better 3/4 court sprint), he has all the tools to cover multiple positions. The only thing possibly keeping him from playing small forward full time is his slight lack of lateral quickness, though he scored comparably to Tony Mitchell in lane agility. For those who don't know, Mitchell was widely regarded as one of the best all around athletes in this draft, and also is a tweener combo forward. Mostly, I expect him to eat some minutes in the early to mid season and attempt to earn Pop's trust to crack the tail end of the playoff rotation."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If he can play the 3 then this signing looks even better. I'm assuming his deal is for the minimum of $992,680 according to Hoopworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-minimum-salaries) He is entering his 5th season meaning this would be his going rate. If that's the case then the Spurs still have more than enough room to make more moves. If my numbers are accurate. The Spurs will have 1 spot open (with a possibility to amnesty Bonner, opening up another spot).

1 spot open ( Including Bonner, Beli and Pendergraph, no Neal)-$59,558,708 [Over cap b $1,5 million, with full MLE Available]
2 spots open ( Bonner amnestied, Beli and Pendergraph included & no Neal)-$55,613,708 [under cap by roughly $2.9 million, room exception available]

Using Hoopworld salaries
Splitter salary next season is listed as $8,400,000 (The Spurs could backload deal possibly)
Manu's isn't yet up but used a $5.5 Million figure

That made me feel a little bit better there.

spursince#99
07-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah I hope they're right about that minimum deal.

cd021
07-06-2013, 10:23 PM
GTFOH :lol

To him playing the 3, I assume?

spursince#99
07-06-2013, 10:24 PM
To him playing the 3, I assume?

Lol exactly. :hat

apalisoc_9
07-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I didn't read the article because tittle is enough to say what's it about..

But pendegrah at the 3 is a terrible idea. He's way to fcking slow for perimeter players.

terrible idea.

ElNono
07-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Our SFs run a few cuts, shoot the corner 3 and board... I don't know that you need to be quick footed to do that... if Richard Jefferson could do it, this dude should be able to do it too...

On the defensive end could be a concern, but so far I've heard good things about this kid defensively...

cd021
07-06-2013, 10:34 PM
I didn't read the article because tittle is enough to say what's it about..

But pendegrah at the 3 is a terrible idea. He's way to fcking slow for perimeter players.

terrible idea.

The writer at PTR says that he has slow lat quickness but is fairly mobile overall and essentially is as quick as Kawhi and actually more athletic. He also has a 7'1 arm span for someone who isn't even 6'9 in shoes. Playing him 10-12 minutes a game at the 3 isn't going to hurt us. Think of how weak that position is Iggy, Barnes, Melo and Lebron ( both eat time at the 4 and play in the east) he'd being playing against bench players essentially like Matt Barnes etc. It isn't as much of a stretch as you might think.

benefactor
07-06-2013, 10:36 PM
He's closer to a C than a SF. There is no way in hell he will get a single minute at the 3.

cd021
07-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Our SFs run a few cuts, shoot the corner 3 and board... I don't know that you need to be quick footed to do that... if Richard Jefferson could do it, this dude should be able to do it too...

On the defensive end could be a concern, but so far I've heard good things about this kid defensively...

I think its less about lateral quickness and more about the angles you play (Diaw on Lebron). He's also long which helps cover the space he'd give to opposing wing, to keep them from driving on him. Playing him along side Diaw actually make his lack of perimeter shooting a non issue. Diaw would set up on the corner 3 mostly while Baynes stays near the rim and Pendergraph and Diaw setting screens.

#2!
07-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I don't like it. Training someone for a position we are weak at is far from ideal. If this is the case we are, and we are not shopping for a SF backup, then we are a Kawhi injury away from being back to where we were 3 seasons ago - without a SF. Backup SF should not be scoffed at cd021. In the playoffs, if you want a WCC or the LOB you're going to have to defend an elite SF that can essentially play as many minutes as they please. If the Spurs want to be able to make Kawhi a stopper then he needs to have the freedom to guard another position without leaving a mismatch in his wake (i.e. they'll need a backup sf).

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah, he's not a 3.

apalisoc_9
07-06-2013, 10:46 PM

I was talking about the defensive end of it. If we're playing him at the three, he's basically going to be a defensive liability. He's a pretty good defender, but even the fastest of Bigman would have trouble keeping up. He's slow. too slow to go against small ball teams..Imagine having stretches of him guarding guys like durant/geroge/lebron etc..

ElNono
07-06-2013, 10:49 PM
I was talking about the defensive end of it. If we're playing him at the three, he's basically going to be a defensive liability. He's a pretty good defender, but even the fastest of Bigman would have trouble keeping up. He's slow. too slow to go against small ball teams..Imagine having stretches of him guarding guys like durant/geroge/lebron etc..

I see what you mean, although I would expect him to run with the second unit, matched up with the other's team bench...

dbestpro
07-06-2013, 10:49 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219339&page=13&p=6739950&viewfull=1#post6739950

Didn't think it needed its own thread since it was written by somebody named SpursfanSteve.

palangi
07-06-2013, 10:53 PM
he is going to be asked to play the 3 sparingly. so i don't see a problem with it. plus bonner was getting 3 minutes at the end of last year. hell bonner makes pendergraph look like lebron james.

apalisoc_9
07-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I see what you mean, although I would expect him to run with the second unit, matched up with the other's team bench...

If you look at even the second unit of contending teams, most 3's are way faster than him. I know the ball wont run to a second unit 3, but that's a concern and a liability,

Heat
OKC
Clippers
Even an old teyshawn prince would be able to work on him with a first step.

It could work in the RS, but in the playoffs that's a huge concern.

freetiago
07-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Belleneli PG
Ginobili SG
Diaw SF
Pendergraph PF
Baynes C

tbh...

cd021
07-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I don't like it. Training someone for a position we are weak at is far from ideal. If this is the case we are, and we are not shopping for a SF backup, then we are a Kawhi injury away from being back to where we were 3 seasons ago - without a SF. Backup SF should not be scoffed at cd021. In the playoffs, if you want a WCC or the LOB you're going to have to defend an elite SF that can essentially play as many minutes as they please. If the Spurs want to be able to make Kawhi a stopper then he needs to have the freedom to guard another position without leaving a mismatch in his wake (i.e. they'll need a backup sf).

I don't see a ton of great options. AK47 is the best available and that is still a minor chance of landing him. Barnes, Aminu, Morrow & Caspi all got signed in the past 48 hours. Maybe Tyrus Thomas, if he clears waivers. Also I think people are clearly overrating the importance of SF's. Its only 12 mpg in the regular season. For all we know Manu, Green and even Diaw could fill that. Maybe they think enough of T-Mac to bring him back on the cheap. Its not the end of the world if we don't have one to start the year. Height was are "weakness" last year though anyone with common sense would have seen that it was a want not a need. We went 8-0 against two of the biggest front-lines in the league (D12 /Pau & ZBo/ Mark).

In the postseason I agree that it would be nice to have a true SF but we went to the finals without one and it wasn't the reason why we lost game 7 to Miami.

chapnis
07-06-2013, 10:59 PM
He's closer to a C than a SF. There is no way in hell he will get a single minute at the 3.

Sean Cagney
07-06-2013, 11:01 PM
I would rather have Diaw at the 3 the him, he is way more of a 3 than Pendy.

Chinook
07-06-2013, 11:02 PM
And he has a blown-out knee. I'd think is lateral quickness is even worse now than it was in the draft four years ago.

therealtruth
07-06-2013, 11:05 PM
He keeps getting taller. 6'9. Now 6'10. Maybe he'll be 6'11 by the start of the season.

Chinook
07-06-2013, 11:07 PM
He keeps getting taller. 6'9. Now 6'10. Maybe he'll be 6'11 by the start of the season.

He's actually 6-10. That's his in-shoes combine measurements. Some people keep using his out-of-shoes measurement of 6-8.75, which holds no bearing in the NBA.

-21-
07-06-2013, 11:08 PM
I hope not.

objective
07-06-2013, 11:16 PM
i watched him play plenty, and he's no more a SF than Diaw or Bonner.

palangi
07-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Belleneli PG
Ginobili SG
Diaw SF
Pendergraph PF
Baynes C

tbh...
if diaw could lose 20-30 lbs he would be a great combo forward.

apalisoc_9
07-06-2013, 11:20 PM
The more i think about it, Pop is more than likely content with a Leonard-Green-Ginobili SF rotation.

Leonard is going to play lots of minutes and it makes sense if the staff think he's healthy enough to do it...

Expect Leonard to play north of 36 this season..

MeloHype
07-06-2013, 11:21 PM
He's not gonna play any minutes in the post season so it doesnt matter tbh

Man In Black
07-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I saw him play some at ASU. He actually sounds a little like Tim Duncan. His game resembles Duncan's a bit. In no way, am I saying he's like Tim Duncan, it's just that the video shows sets that Duncan plays here in San Antonio.

His ASU days show him in some pick and roll sets. Unlike the other bigs SA has, It would seem that Jeff likes to dunk a little more than they do.

EYj37xO3kDc
7Z9YIp8d-G4

Here's just defense only against Josh Smith and Atlanta:
o-suNJfwZic
Some ASU stuff:
BtNuvB02Tdw

TE
07-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Dude is gonna ride the bench...

slick'81
07-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Yeah and splitter will run some point

dylankerouac
07-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Exciting if this works out.

dylankerouac
07-07-2013, 12:43 AM
The writer at PTR says that he has slow lat quickness but is fairly mobile overall and essentially is as quick as Kawhi and actually more athletic. He also has a 7'1 arm span for someone who isn't even 6'9 in shoes. Playing him 10-12 minutes a game at the 3 isn't going to hurt us. Think of how weak that position is Iggy, Barnes, Melo and Lebron ( both eat time at the 4 and play in the east) he'd being playing against bench players essentially like Matt Barnes etc. It isn't as much of a stretch as you might think.

:thumbup,

what is the correct command for this?

thanks in advance.

Darkwaters
07-07-2013, 01:24 AM

Official measurements from when he was drafted:

Without shoes: 6'8.75"
With shoes: 6'10"
Wingspan: 7'1"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Pendergraph-1165/

callo1
07-07-2013, 01:58 AM
From nbadraft.net:

NBA Comparison: Udonis Haslem/ Mikki Moore
Strengths: An ultra efficient and consistent post player … Has shot 58% from the field for his career (67% this season) … He is a competitor, battles at all times to establish post position and is very active … His motor is excellent and he shows it by running the floor as well as anyone in the country … Around the basket he is very active and he knows how to move without the ball to get to open spaces … Has been the beneficiary of some great passes, but a lot of it has to do with his ability to read the action as well as being able to catch pretty much any pass that is thrown his way … He is a very good athlete, and more importantly a very quick leaper, even on 2nd and 3rd jumps … Possesses nice upper body strength and has a frame that can easily put on some extra muscle without losing explosiveness … He has become a knock down spot-up shooter which is a great trait to have in the pick &roll dominated NBA … He has a very high release and his stroke is fairly smooth … Has continued to improve from the line (79% last two seasons) … In the post he prefers either facing up or taking it to the hoop for a right mini hook … Gets many friendly bounces thanks to his soft touch … Cherishes his role as a workhorse and does not need many touches to be effective … He is a very good rebounder especially on the offensive glass where he is relentless …

I think I see why he was brought in from reading this. I have to believe that the FO did their homework and yet again, will take a player tossed on the scrap heap and turn him into a contributor.

sventhedog
07-07-2013, 02:00 AM
he is not that well-known for a reason.

Ice009
07-07-2013, 02:48 AM
That actually sounds good.

Chomag
07-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Pop loves to try to play players in positions they are not for so I can honestly say that I wouldn't be surprised.

tuncaboylu
07-07-2013, 03:12 AM
He tried 4 three pointers in his entire career(3 years). Not a kind of SF in Spurs norms.

I think Pop is thinking him to use as PF against Miami or Golden State for small-line-ups.

kobyz
07-07-2013, 03:43 AM
It was our answer to Huston getting Howard tbh. Pendergraph will be the Howard killer, I'm telling it right now!

L.I.T
07-07-2013, 04:21 AM
The more I think about this signing the more I like it. His mobility, motor, rebounding, and athleticism help fill the anti-small ball PF role. Granted he's not a flashy or even slightly established name, but the potential is there for him to play 10-15 minutes to combat teams that go small by being relentless on the boards and disruptive in the lane with his length.

Smart savvy signing that brings a different skillset to the bench.

playbonner15
07-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Baynes/Pendergraph combo
Belinelli/Manu* combo
:wow:wow

*2007 edition

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Pounding The Rum says what?

therealtruth
07-07-2013, 08:41 AM
The more i think about it, Pop is more than likely content with a Leonard-Green-Ginobili SF rotation.

Leonard is going to play lots of minutes and it makes sense if the staff think he's healthy enough to do it...

Expect Leonard to play north of 36 this season..

Pop always likes to keep minutes low. I would expect Leonard to play low 30's during the season.

cd021
07-07-2013, 09:01 AM

6 9 3/4 with shoes on

cd021
07-07-2013, 09:08 AM
:thumbup,

what is the correct command for this?

thanks in advance.

: & tu is the command. (I can't but them together or it will make another thumbs up, no spaces and remove the "&"

If you can't find it go to the smiley face menu on the quickreply and go to more its near the bottom.

cd021
07-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Anyone wish to comment of the second half of the post about our remaining moves. I didn't realize 99% of these comments are about Pendergraph playing SF.

timmy2003
07-07-2013, 12:01 PM
lol

gameFACE
07-07-2013, 12:20 PM
He tried 4 three pointers in his entire career(3 years). Not a kind of SF in Spurs norms.

I think Pop is thinking him to use as PF against Miami or Golden State for small-line-ups.

Damn, I was wondering if he could shoot the three.

ironman2886
07-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Dwight Howard is 6'9" without shoes. ESPN and Dwight himself say he is 6'11". Most big men in the NBA are probably 6'7"-6'9" without shoes anyway.

timvp
07-07-2013, 12:47 PM
:lmao @ Jeff Pendergraph playing small forward. No offense to whoever wrote that but that's a terrible take. He's somewhat immobile for a bigman. Small forward? No way.

Proxy
07-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Maybe he can knock down the open oberto/McDyess/Thomas looks if his mid range, wide open shot is as reliable as those videos make it seem to be.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-07-2013, 02:53 PM
cojo/mills/decolo/beli
manu/decolo/beli
diaw/manu/beli/thomas?
bonner?/diaw/pendergraph/thomas?
baynes/bonner?/pendergraph

my projected bench. we all know pop plays his incumbents. newbs have to impress their way into the rotation... or collect dust on the bench.

i'm very anxious for the resolution of amnesty/trade bonner. but even before the resolution. i highly doubt pendergraph will play much 3. i suspect the spurs could live with keeping bonner, but equally suspect they won't. i'd like to see him dumped to the raptors for acy or a protected 2nd.

Taking it to the Hole
07-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Maybe he can knock down the open oberto/McDyess/Thomas looks if his mid range, wide open shot is as reliable as those videos make it seem to be.

That is what I am thinking the Spurs are thinking. They don't want him to be a 3 point threat but someone they can kick out a pass to in the pick and roll and he knocks down that mid-range jumper consistently. His release is a little iffy, but I think Chip would be able to help with that. The kid looks like he has an ability to get his own misses and looks to be very confident in his abilities. I think we need a person that can come in and give energy at the 3 or 4 position after Kawhi goes to the bench. I think also being around a good mixture of veterans and younger players will help in his development. The Spurs would not have signed him if they didn't see any potential in him after all.

Darius McCrary
07-07-2013, 05:17 PM
He'll be a PF/C
Pop will rest Duncan/Splitter for stretches, and this dude will fill the missing starting spot.