PDA

View Full Version : Old Schoolers Need Reply

Twisted_Dawg
07-18-2005, 01:44 PM
I was having a spirited debate with another long time Spurs fanactic. We were talking about when the Spurs joined the NBA. Our discussion and difference came regarding the following:

I recall that the former owners of the Spirits of St. Louis still receive a small percentage of the television revenue the Spurs receive from the NBA. I think it is a small percentage like about 5-10%. I am not sure if Denver, Indiana or the Nets have the same arrangement with those individuals.

My buddy maintains that this group of individuals receives 1/31 share of the total television money handed out to the existing 30 teams, in effect allowing them to receive the same TV money the other 30 teams receive. My buddy says that the writer of "Loose Balls", Terry Pluto, backs this fact up. I disagree.

The Spirit owners would only agree to sign off on the merger if they received television money since their team was not included.

Can any of you clear up this arguement.

Willinsa
07-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I read Loose Balls and I think that the Spirit owners get 1/16th of the 4 former ABA teams tv money.

samikeyp
07-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Will would be correct.

FromWayDowntown
07-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Actually, I remember the deal -- it came up during the 1999 Finals, when the Spurs were the first ABA survivor to reach that level. I couldn't remember the specifics, but found 2 different sources that say that the owners get 1/7 of the television revenue paid to the four ABA survivors.

Source (http://www.remembertheaba.com/Spirits-of-St-Louis.html)

Solid D
07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
1/7th of Indiana's, NJ's, Denver's, and SA's television revenues FOREVER, is what I've read.

Twisted_Dawg
07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Actually, I remember the deal -- it came up during the 1999 Finals, when the Spurs were the first ABA survivor to reach that level. I couldn't remember the specifics, but found 2 different sources that say that the owners get 1/7 of the television revenue paid to the four ABA survivors.

Source (http://www.remembertheaba.com/Spirits-of-St-Louis.html)

Thank you very much for the help. I sent it to my buddy along with some insults. He is on that other board anyway.........

Willinsa
07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
The way Tv contracts are going now those guys are making a killing. A smart move by those owners.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2005, 04:12 PM
The St. Louis owners' profession is now to go down to their big safe everyday, coat themselves in honey and roll around in all the money for awhile.

Not a bad day at the office.