PDA

View Full Version : Did the road get easier for us to return to the finals?

SilverSpur
07-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm feeling good about our team and our chances to return to the finals.

Teams and players/depth/chemistry lost

Clippers - Eric Bledsoe , Caron Butler
Jazz - Al Jefferson , Paul Milsap , team chemistry
Warriors - Jarrett Jack , Andris Biedrins, Brandon Rush , Carl Landry, team chemistry
Lakers - Dwight Howard , Kobe Bryant
Kings - Tyreke Evans
Thunder - Kevin Martin
Houston - Jeremy Lin , Thomas Robinson, team chemistry
Denver - Andre Iguodala, HC George Karl
Portland - Lamarcus Aldridge may be traded to the east
Memphis - Head Coach

Granted Golden St has Iggy but lost some good players
Houston has Howard but that is a injury in the waiting.

What do you guys think

apalisoc_9
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
OKC losing martin is huge. As a team, they're not as good as last year tbh.

ElNono
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
too early

TXstbobcat
07-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I think it will be the spurs against the thunder in the WCF.

justinandimcool
07-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Clippers got better, Bledsoe is treadmill team material trash. Dudley and Redick are consistent and lethal.

Warriors got slightly better. They lost Jack who won us the series this year. We were able to focus our attention on Curry/Thompson, add in Iguodala and that will be a tough out IMO.

Rockets obviously got better.

TOSB are still the favorites if healthy.

HemisfairArena
07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Are we kidding ourselves? The Rockets got way better. The Clippers got a great coach. The Thunder get Westbrook back. I think we have a hell of a tough time getting back to the Finals. And anyone that thinks Houston isnt a legit contender now...simply is in denial. Las Vegas has no vested interest in who wins the NBA title and simply puts up the probable odds...and it goes Miami...OKC...and Houston...as the top 3 contenders next year. Everyone and their mother can say Howard is a quitter...a whiner...ect...fact remins...when healthy which he will be...he is the most dominant big man in the league. And lets not forget about the Warriors. Iggy may be the piece they need to get over the hump. Hell...they took us to 6 games and only look to get stronger. All we did was re-sign a turnover machine in Manu and re-sign a center that faded in the Finals.

kobyz
07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
you can't be feeling good when Tim Duncan is reaching 38 and you don't know if it left in him for another season, Especially when front office fucked it and didn't bring him the support which could may enable him to take a step back...

spurraider21
07-07-2013, 07:20 PM
OKC losing Martin is big. Not that Martin was awesome, but now they have absolutely no compensation for Harden. They look weaker. The Clippers are about the same, but they didn't replace Bledsoe's explosiveness. The real Wildcards are how good the Warriors + Iggy will be as well as the Rockets

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2013, 07:29 PM
OKC trading Harden and Wade's decline has created significant parity in the league, tbh..there are no longer any dominant teams, tbh..

The Clippers and Rockets both improved dramatically, but they were both 1st round exits last year..Clippers' still lack power at the top(Griffin needs to solidify himself and they don't have a 3rd guy) and they have arguably the worst frontcourt of any potential contending team, tbh..

Houston will be a force, but it may take them a year to build chemistry, we'll see..a motivated and healthy Howard will cause trouble..

Memphis hasn't made any improvements, they aren't a threat, tbh..

OKC continues to get worse, but they're still a top 2 team in the conference IMO..

The Warriors are probably the same as last year, maybe slightly worse since they lost their real coach, tbh..Iguodala negates the loss of Jack/Landry, but losing Mike Malone hurts..they aren't really a threat IMO, not to mention relying on Curry and Bogut to stay healthy all year..

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2013, 07:33 PM
It feels strange that for once, the Spurs actually have a young player that could take a step to the next level, rather than having no hope of any core players improving due to old age, tbh:lol..

Pentagruel
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I certainly think the Spurs are the favorites to get back to the finals but its nonsense to think it will be easier then last year. For starters, we can expect muscle chestbrook back and that alone will make them a favorite for the WCF. I expect it to be spurs - okc in the WCF. Losing Kevin Martin doesn't hurt them terribly in my opinion.

As for other relevant teams, Houston definately became a threat. Dwight might be an infant mentally but he's still a dominating presence in the middle physically and he put up good numbers even in LA when he was healthy in the second half of the year. He's not really injury prone for his career so I don't see why you can expect him to be injured. After Houston and OKC I expect the stiffest competition from the Clippers. I'm not certain how much Doc Rivers will ultimately help them but it will be interesting to see. The Clippers are a strong team like they were last year, and maybe the ball bounces the right way for them this year. On paper they've had the talent to compete since they got cliff Paul, but they have disappointed in the playoffs. The spurs are familiar with that feeling as well though and managed to break through last year. Who knows, the Clippers may do the same. Lastly there is Golden State. They improved their starting lineup with Iggy. I think losing Landry and jack does hurt them, they were valuable bench players, but I think Iggy will help them more then they lost.

Ultimately I think there are more strong contenders this year then last. Last year the west was a two horse race between SA and OKC with possible contender in LA Lakers depending on their chemistry and cohesion. Luckily LA hired MDA to coach a squad featuring Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard as two of their best three players and muscle chestbrook got injured. This year I see the Spurs along with OKC the two prime contenders for the west once again, but Houston and the Clippers both have the rosters to compete as well and I think they have the management and coaching to be dangerous as well. I expect the road to the finals to be more difficult then last year but I see no reason why we shouldn't be slight favorites to get there again.

dylankerouac
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Thunder will be able to get Ibaka more touches, he's pretty money from midrange. As I recall, he was complaining for more touches. Hi-low with Perkins will likely increase too. Overall, these are higher percentage shots with a higher foul percentage too.

BatManu20
07-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Hope so, but it's way too early to tell. So much of it depends on whether Timmy can have another great season or not tbh. With Manu's play having regressed so much and not bringing in any significant FA's, if Timmy's play takes a significant drop, I don't think we have any shot at winning a championship next year tbh imo. If he can and we stay healthy, there's a solid chance we make it back to the big dance.

HemisfairArena
07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
When the OP says Houston has Howard but that is an injury waiting to happen....LMAO....he obviously doesnt know our Spurs. We are the walking wounded each and every year. Its the reason Pop rest players. To think the Rockets have an injury issue with Howard is a light drizzle compared to the injury issue we have in San Antonio which would be on hurricane status.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
^ good post from Pentagruel, tbh..

There's absolutely no argument that next year's run will be easier than this year's, obviously:lol..this year's run for the Spurs was in one of the weakest NBA seasons in recent history..though, as I said, there are no longer any dominant teams, and the Spurs still have a great chance of winning, tbh..

IMO, part of the reason the Spurs didn't make any notable moves(although I think they should have) is their confidence in Leonard's growth into an All-Star level player next year, along with the lack of dominance in the NBA at the moment..there are no prime Spurs teams, 2000s Lakers teams, etc..

ALVAREZ6
07-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Definitely won't be easier than this year, having an offensively-challenged Grizz team which the Spurs swept. OKC will be a challenge. The Spurs were clicking on all cylinders this postseason-Duncan playing great basketball for his stage of his career, Parker dominating, and the role players were all providing throughout. The timing isn't always there.

Yeah...for sure won't get any easier than this year, the stars aligned perfectly last season, they had the title in game 6, it slipped. It'll still be possible to return to the finals. Kawhi should improve, though Green is a big question mark because he has no dribbling and passing skills and that won't change much in a year.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Duncan's divorce is great news for the Spurs IMO..

It'll help keep him motivated to play basketball, it's probably the primary source of comfort for him, tbh..I'm not worried about him, at all..

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Thunder will be able to get Ibaka more touches, he's pretty money from midrange. As I recall, he was complaining for more touches. Hi-low with Perkins will likely increase too. Overall, these are higher percentage shots with a higher foul percentage too.

Perkins on the floor is great news for any OKC opponent, tbh:lol..

ElNono
07-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Perk might not make it to training camp... he's been shopped around, and you have to wonder how long until they get rid of him...

Pentagruel
07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
It's true that a lot depends on Tim's level of play but I see no reason for him to decline so significantly this particular year. I also would not be surprised if Manu has a better year then the last if he gets some good rest this summer, clears his head and has a fresh slate. There is no physical reason for his passing ability to become so bad, I think the turnovers he displayed in the finals will recede some with a new year. Perhaps he will adjust his game some too to help with his declining ability to drive to the basket. I don't expect either of them to be markedly worse then last year. I actually think the most important factor will be the health of tony Parker. He looked absolutely gassed in the second half of the finals and that is a bit worrisome. Hopefully he too gets some good rest.

HemisfairArena
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
We all know how great a one two punch is. As long as the Thunder have a healthy Durant/Westbrook...they are lethal. Same went for the Bulls with MJ/Pippen...same went for Shaq/Kobe...ect...dont underestimate the Thunder id Westbrook and Durant stay healthy. Hell...if anything...I would say their biggest downfall is their coach. He is in over his head. If they had a great coach....lookout.

houston spurs fan
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Houston scares me. Tough down low, athletic. Screw Jeremy Lin, Patrick Beverly is going to surprise people, he's good. They have the makings of a special team. I think Gary Neal will sign with them.

purist
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Too many unknowns to say. On paper lots of teams look good, but as spurs fans we know health and chemistry are the X factors

siraulo23
07-07-2013, 07:56 PM
clips, dubs, and rockets def will challenge are gon be tough, and the spurs getting back to the finals largely depends on tim having another season like last year + avoiding injuries and kawhi leonard's improvement and being more involved offensively

Interrohater
07-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I think a lot of you are overestimating Dwight Howard. He's a stat monkey; he's not a winner. Dwight Howard wants to have fun and clown around. Name me one year in his 8 seasons where he led his team to great heights (2009 is an anomaly because of the serious lack of Eastern conference competition). He's a larger and more athletic Blake Griffin. Until he actually begins to take the game of basketball seriously, he's not a threat to anybody who truly wants to win. I think James Harden will begin to dislike Howard's immaturity at some point.

He got his first taste of Western Conference playoffs and he got his teeth kicked in. He's on a better team now, but I still see him shrinking from the spotlight. It's bizarre how somebody who is so obviously in need of adoration and limelight will duck and cover when asked to take on a leadership role.

houston spurs fan
07-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Spurs>Thunder>Rockets>Warriors>Clippers>Grizzlies>Lakers. But ball biting close

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Spurs>Thunder>Rockets>Warriors>Clippers>Grizzlies>Lakers. But ball biting close

Lakers aren't even close to a playoff team, tbh:lol..

Kobe got all the credit last year, but Howard had a great 2nd half of the season and was their most important player during their run to the playoffs, since he was by far the best defensive player on their team, tbh(while Kobe was one of the worst defensive players in the league)..

I'd be absolutely shocked if the Lakers aren't the worst defensive team in the NBA next season, tbh..

Interrohater
07-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Ultimately I think there are more strong contenders this year then last. Last year the west was a two horse race between SA and OKC with possible contender in LA Lakers depending on their chemistry and cohesion. Luckily LA hired MDA to coach a squad featuring Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard as two of their best three players and muscle chestbrook got injured. This year I see the Spurs along with OKC the two prime contenders for the west once again, but Houston and the Clippers both have the rosters to compete as well and I think they have the management and coaching to be dangerous as well. I expect the road to the finals to be more difficult then last year but I see no reason why we shouldn't be slight favorites to get there again.
I think here, hindsight is 20/20. Throughout the entire year, pundits, as well as fans, talked about how stacked the West was and that it's "anybody's race". It's easy to say now that it was a two-horse race, but at that time, it was anybody's guess who would come out. Remember, nobody, least of all the fans, trusted the Spurs to get back to the Finals.

With this, I feel like it's going to be the same as last year: Two teams who are ahead of the pack record-wise and the rest of the West beating each other up for 3-8. The competition will remain the same, only the order of the records will be different. I believe Houston might take Denver's spot and push the Lakers out of the 8 spot, and that's pretty much all that will change.

houston spurs fan
07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Lakers aren't even close to a playoff team, tbh:lol..

Kobe got all the credit last year, but Howard had a great 2nd half of the season and was their most important player during their run to the playoffs, since he was by far the best defensive player on their team, tbh(while Kobe was one of the worst defensive players in the league)..

I'd be absolutely shocked if the Lakers aren't the worst defensive team in the NBA next season, tbh..
Well forget the Lakers and Grizz. What about the others?

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I agree with your order, although I'd have the Clippers ahead of the Warriors, tbh..

texmich
07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
http://homework.never-ends.net/wp-content/uploads/gif_huh.gif Who knows.. any team can get good at any moment, think we have a great chance but to say it got easier is just shitting on other teams. That's what people said about us last year, spurs have no chance really to go to the finals but we did and so could okc or clipps or Houston or a surprise team. Will be an interesting and fun to watch season for sure though

KaiRMD1
07-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I think the Lakers got better

Rogue
07-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Dallas will be back in the playoffs next season and them mavs have always been a nightmare matchup to the Spurs no matter where they rank on the scale of the whole league, and there has been no gauge of the Rockets yet, but according to some rockets fans the rockets will be a top team in the west. Clippers will also be a better team than last season with a better coach and a higher average IQ.

barakz21
07-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Uhhhh, I might've been out of the loop today, but did Lin get traded??? I mean he was listed among those "gone" from HOU..

spurman123
07-07-2013, 10:16 PM
West Predictions:
1. Spurs, (Best all around team in the West)
2. Clippers (Should have good chemistry now in starting line-up, decent bench)
t-3. Houston, t-3. Warriors, (These teams need to work on chemistry, may take another season for them to gel)
t-5. Thunder (No bench, Westbrook recovering from major surgery)
t-5. Grizzlies (Still no Offense)
7-8. Does it really matter?

My reasoning is that it seems as though other teams do not have a bench...

Pending injuries/trades, I feel the Spurs should be favorites from the West. The East looks a lot stronger this year though. Hopefully bruise up Miami a little bit...

Sean Cagney
07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Dallas will be back in the playoffs next season and them mavs have always been a nightmare matchup to the Spurs no matter where they rank on the scale of the whole league, and there has been no gauge of the Rockets yet, but according to some rockets fans the rockets will be a top team in the west. Clippers will also be a better team than last season with a better coach and a higher average IQ.You could say that both ways there, Spurs a nightmare for them as well! Vice versa! Rivals always seem to have that factor. I think the Spurs are better no doubt, but the Mavs can upset you or make you have a HARD series.

cd021
07-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Clippers got better, Bledsoe is treadmill team material trash. Dudley and Redick are consistent and lethal.

Warriors got slightly better. They lost Jack who won us the series this year. We were able to focus our attention on Curry/Thompson, add in Iguodala and that will be a tough out IMO.

The Warriors did not get better.

They lost Jack and Landry. Both of them are 6th men caliber players. Curry is injury prone and Jack was a great backup to have. Bogut is injury prone and Landry is a great 4-5 backup.

Iggy creates problems on offense. Barnes is a rising star but you opted to bring in an established former all star who plays the same position. This means that Barnes will have to come off the bench, unless he becomes the backup PF, he won't play nearly as many minutes as he should. Iggy was actually a below average player last season (PER) On a team that pushed the ball and really only had 2 or 3 other legit options on offense. GSW has Curry, Lee, Thompson, Barnes and Bogut in the post. They are also without Ezili until January. They need to fill out their bench as well.

They're after the Spurs, OKC, Clippers and possibly Houston

cd021
07-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Uhhhh, I might've been out of the loop today, but did Lin get traded??? I mean he was listed among those "gone" from HOU..

Yeah I'm confused, I checked ESPN and Hoop Hype he hasn't been moved. Houston is reportly interested in moving him and or Asik for assets though.

houston spurs fan
07-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Not yet but he will be. The Rockets have a dynamic young point guard in PAtrick Beverly they love. Played instead of Lin in playoff games. Lin will be moved before start of season. Jury still out on Asik...

sexinthatsx
07-07-2013, 10:51 PM
:lol jizzing in your pants over a weaker conference. The MOST PROBABLE thing that prevents the Spurs from a straight-shot to the finals is ourselves... possible injuries to Duncan (knees), Ginobili (everything), Parker (Ankles), Kawhi (Knees), Jeff Pendergraph (Knees). If Pop keeps up the good rotation and sitting out the Big 3 in pointless games like he did this season, then that might help the most in the long run.

weeks
07-07-2013, 11:24 PM
can't wait for the season to start. gonna be great.

don't think we'll come out of the west, but you just never know.

Clipper Nation
07-07-2013, 11:44 PM
He's a larger and more athletic Blake Griffin.

Laughably poor comparison, tbh.... Blake is nothing like Bible Kemp....

LarryDavid
07-07-2013, 11:44 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Houston plays with Howard, and to see what kind of effect Doc Rivers has on the Clippers. While I don't think it's easier than last year, the Spurs should be considered the favorites.

Clipper Nation
07-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Btw, people are really underselling the effects that actual plays, a modern defensive scheme, floor spacing, and legitimate shooters will have on the Clippers.... sure, the Clipps were deep last year, but they had nothing even close to a quality starting wing, and the coaching was laughable.... I still think the Spurs are the better team until proven otherwise and the most likely Western Conference representative in the Finals, but a Spurs/Clippers rematch in the WCF isn't out of the question, tbh....

LarryDavid
07-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Btw, people are really underselling the effects that actual plays, a modern defensive scheme, floor spacing, and legitimate shooters will have on the Clippers.... sure, the Clipps were deep last year, but they had nothing even close to a quality starting wing, and the coaching was laughable.... I still think the Spurs are the better team until proven otherwise and the most likely Western Conference representative in the Finals, but a Spurs/Clippers rematch in the WCF isn't out of the question, tbh....

I don't think the Clippers make the jump until Blake (or someone on the team) develops as a post threat. Imagine how dangerous that team could be if he demanded a double team in the post?

Clipper Nation
07-08-2013, 12:03 AM
I don't think the Clippers make the jump until Blake (or someone on the team) develops as a post threat. Imagine how dangerous that team could be if he demanded a double team in the post?

He's developed a few solid post moves (http://hoopchalk.com/2013/01/08/blake-griffin-has-a-damn-good-post-game-thank-you-very-much/) and his PPP on post-ups has improved every year.... now that we finally have a coach whose offense is more nuanced than "bail me out, Chris" and who actually sees the good parts of Blake's game (Doc even brought up Blake's passing skills at his introductory press conference), I'd be shocked if he doesn't take a big step forward this year especially in the post, tbh....

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2013, 12:07 AM
I agree, and as you know, I've been saying that about Griffin all year..

He does have a solid post game and he has improved as a player, despite what the mainstream media and fans seem to believe, tbh..

The problem with Griffin is that the Clippers go to him early, but he stops getting touches the rest of the game..IIRC, he was an elite 1st quarter scorer but the Clippers would forget about him as the game moved forward..

The concern I'd have for the Clippers is the 3rd guy on their team, and even more important, their shitty frontcourt..Jordan is a terrible basketball player, and their backup bigs are weak, tbh..

scanry
07-08-2013, 12:17 AM

If OKC doesn't up their game, the Clippers don't need to tbh. The Clippers will be automatic.

Man In Black
07-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Spurs are the clear #1 and their re-signings and new signings show they totally believe in their way of doing things. Signing Ginobili & Splitter were exactly what I thought PATFO was going to do, picking up the likes of Belinelli gives them another shooter/ball handler who helps relieve Manu as 2nd primary ball handler. He'll still handle it alot with Parker to the bench, but hopefully, Marco can help those guys better than Gary Neal ever did. If he can, then perhaps Parker won't be so gassed when he needs to be on the court late. Jeff Pendergraph gives the Spurs some added interior post depth. And until he's officially signed somewhere else, I still think that they may even be in the running for a guy like AK-47 to backup stud SF Kawhi Leonard-

I don't really care about any other teams in the West but if I had to venture a guess, then I will take the teams that favor cohesion over all-star first my turn, then your turn bball
Teams that trust their systems and play good D will advance further than teams that just dominate on offense.

OKC-They got nothing for Harden now that KMartin is in Minnesota. Will they have enough scoring? Who is their 3rd scoring threat? Scott Brooks is a capable coach but his team need to believe in him.

LAC-Got Doc, need to see the rest of the moves. On Paper, they are solid from top to bottom but I see a weakness in both DeAndre and Blake and their inconsistent mid-range jumpshots. What do they do when the lob is taken away?

GSW-What they did last season is a mirage, unreal what they accomplished with all that went bad for them. They need health and the AI signing was a good one. He simply fits into what that team needs. He's not the disruptive type and he'll do everything that Mark Jackson asks him to.

For the 5th spot, it's between Memphis and Houston. With Memphis, since they have the same core, I'd stick with them. Losing Lionel Hollins is huge but that team still has a solid frontline and a young PG that is starting to recognize his impact on the court.

Houston-has the most upside with bringing in DHo. They will have lots of roster moves to accomodate Howard's contract. It's those losses I think, that will hinder them. They don't scare me out of the box but on paper, they could be a threat.

LAL, Utah, PHX are all LOL and in a state of flux.

sexinthatsx
07-08-2013, 01:33 AM
He's developed a few solid post moves (http://hoopchalk.com/2013/01/08/blake-griffin-has-a-damn-good-post-game-thank-you-very-much/) and his PPP on post-ups has improved every year.... now that we finally have a coach whose offense is more nuanced than "bail me out, Chris" and who actually sees the good parts of Blake's game (Doc even brought up Blake's passing skills at his introductory press conference), I'd be shocked if he doesn't take a big step forward this year especially in the post, tbh....

backing down, turning around and trying to dunk on the other person isn't really considered post moves. Blake needs to take a page from some NBA legends and learn some footwork; I'm surprised it's taking him so long to learn it though. But no one will ever be as slow when it comes to learning other than Dwight lol

barakz21
07-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Yeah I'm confused, I checked ESPN and Hoop Hype he hasn't been moved. Houston is reportly interested in moving him and or Asik for assets though.

Right, I knew there were rumors that HOU was looking to trade him AND Asik but there were no deals yet. So like you, I was confused. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

barakz21
07-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Not yet but he will be. The Rockets have a dynamic young point guard in PAtrick Beverly they love. Played instead of Lin in playoff games. Lin will be moved before start of season. Jury still out on Asik...

Gotcha, thanks bruh.

Robz4000
07-08-2013, 03:22 AM
I actually think the Spurs may have to watch out for Portland, Minny, and New Orleans in the first round tbh. I don't see the Spurs having too much issue with OKC, LAC, Houston, GS, or Memphis. However, any of those first three teams in the first round could be serious trouble if the Spurs roll into the playoffs like they did this past season.

dg7md
07-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Dallas will be back in the playoffs next season and them mavs have always been a nightmare matchup to the Spurs no matter where they rank on the scale of the whole league, and there has been no gauge of the Rockets yet, but according to some rockets fans the rockets will be a top team in the west. Clippers will also be a better team than last season with a better coach and a higher average IQ.

"Them Mavs" aren't going to be any sort of title contender anytime soon. :lol

Clipper Nation
07-08-2013, 05:57 AM
The problem with Griffin is that the Clippers go to him early, but he stops getting touches the rest of the game..IIRC, he was an elite 1st quarter scorer but the Clippers would forget about him as the game moved forward..
That has a lot to do with Vinny's guard obsession, specifically with CP3 and Crawford..... Vinny wouldn't trust any of his bigs at the end of games, preferring to hope CP3 and Jamal could bail him out on iso plays :lol

The concern I'd have for the Clippers is the 3rd guy on their team, and even more important, their shitty frontcourt..Jordan is a terrible basketball player, and their backup bigs are weak, tbh..
DJ is trash right now, but it's still possible to get to the Finals with a weakness at center in today's NBA..... Doc thinks he can be a defensive anchor, but I don't really see it, tbh....

elec99
07-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Las Vegas has no vested interest in who wins the NBA title and simply puts up the probable odds...and it goes Miami...OKC...and Houston...as the top 3 contenders next year.

True, but LV also had LAL 1/1 as the WC champs when dh got traded there.
I made a lot of money betting on OKC, SAS, and LAC to come out of the WC because the market thought LAL was going to win. All I had to win was one of the 3 and I'd still come out ahead because the DH trade to LAL made it possible.

I had people coming up to me saying "you can't tell me the DH trade to LAL was an upgrade." Ummm, yeah, I can....

I see the same thing happening again, only to HOU. WHile I think they'll be a threat in the future, they have too many new pieces to the equation to be a WC threat now. And the DH trade to HOU has again pumped up the odds for others, namely OKC, and MEM (SAS odds are the same as before the trade.)

They got better, but HOU arent gonna be the WC champs. I'll place appropriate bets on SAS, OKC, and probably LAC. All I gotta do is win one. Thanks again Dwight.

mercos
07-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I'd say the road will be about the same next year. There are no juggernauts in the NBA right now, East or West. In the West, I think Memphis will drop down a peg after switching coaches. Houston will jump into the top 4 if Howard stays healthy and fits in well. Right now, I'd have the West looking like this at the top:

1. San Antonio
2. Oklahoma City
3. Houston
4. LA Clippers

The Thunder and Rockets look to be the big challengers to the Spurs going forward. I'm not sold on LA. While Doc Rivers is an upgrade over Vinny Del Negro, I don't view him as a savior for that team. I'm also not sold on Chris Paul leading a team to a title. He has yet to make it past the second round. He's going to have to accomplish something before I jump on the hype train.

The Thunder should have a great regular season if healthy. Durant and Westbrook are enough to guarantee 50 wins a year for the next decade. I don't think they would have beaten the Spurs last season though, and I'm not sure they can this year as currently constituted. Houston is a question mark though. I'm eager to see how well Howard gels with that team.

Horse
07-08-2013, 12:43 PM
On paper houston got better, On paper the lakers were an unbeatable superteam. Howard is a heartless cancer and houston will be his next victim. Fuck him and fuck houston.

elec99
07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
There's something to be said about dwight: He can still put up good numbers but that doesnt necessarily equate into victories as we've seen last season.

ORL he was a 20/14 player
LAL 17/12

17/12 isnt shabby at all, especially on about 11 attempts a game (14 with ORL). For whatever reason it did not equate into success for LAL.

Point is he will produce between 17/12 and 20/14 for houston but that wont necessarily mean success for houston. He's replacing Asik who only gets 7.5 attempts per game. So if DH is gonna take 14 attempts, as he did with ORL, that means 7 less attempts for others.
I guess my point is that early predictions of their success may be a little overblown.

Top 5 in the WC, sure.
WC champs, nah.

elmanutres
07-09-2013, 07:34 PM
only worry spurs got with the rockets is james harden. Warriors are a much dangerous team with iggy. especially if you gonna have the splash brothers on the same floor. memphis sucks. OKC ain't going far without harden EVEN with a healthy westbrook. Dallas is gonna be bad. clippers got doc but seriously, why should we be scared of the 2nd best flopper in the league and a poor mans vince carter. Denver lost karl, Lakers are a mess. seriously the west is just as open this year as it was last year. Even if we have the same formula as last year, we will still walktrough, only concern is the warriors and james harden. I think however if we meet miami again, it will be tougher since miami knows the secret to beating us, which is have lebron hit open jumpshots like in game 7, that is if we use the same defense on them

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
As difficult as it is for a team like the Heat to make 4 finals appearances and 3 peat it's equally difficult for any team to get to the Western Conference Finals let alone the Finals 3 years in a row. There have been situations where the Spurs looked like they were a shoe in to get back to the finals and compete and have been beaten by inferior teams. Not going to be easy at all.

cjw
07-09-2013, 10:47 PM

Exactly on Bledsoe. Nice guy to have in spurts, but he wasn't very useful in tandem with CP3. Reddick and Dudley are the ultimate toys for him to spread the floor, especially considering DeAndre and Blake think it's a three second violation when you're OUT of the paint. The two new guys plus Doc will make them a tough out come the playoffs.

GSW are tough to call - it really depends on how they fill out their roster now that Landry is gone. Will need to see if Iggy can bring the ball up the court to take some pressure off Steph.

Knoxxx
07-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Spurs are favorites in the West. Tougher will depend on our health and remaining roster moves and how the jury plays out on other contender moves. There have been no slam dunk moves to change the top seed expectation okc projects worse and houston better but not enough to make them favs. Clips GS and MEM round out the top 6 in no particular order.