PDA

View Full Version : LB is gone................

Pistons < Spurs
07-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Contract had three years, $18 million left

The Detroit Pistons and Larry Brown are parting ways, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Pistons and Brown, sources said, moved closer Monday to a buyout of Brown's contract, which has three years left at $18 million.

It was not immediately known if the buyout arrangement would be finalized Monday, and it remains to be seen whether Brown -- plagued by serious bladder complications throughout much of last season after hip surgery -- intends to take some time away from coaching. He could pursue a coaching job with the New York Knicks or a front-office job with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ex-Minnesota coach Flip Saunders is the leading candidate to replace Brown in Detroit after the Pistons came within one victory of winning back-to-back titles under the 64-year-old Brown.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

WOOOHOOOOO!!!!! :fro Bring on Silas or FLip :fro

DDS4
07-18-2005, 02:00 PM
LB better not even sniff another head coaching job or else he'll feel the full wrath of Detroit Piston fans everywhere.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Wow, I'm shocked.

Never saw this one coming.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2005, 02:13 PM
pistons u guys are screwed

flip is a shitty coach and silas isnt all that either

Mark in Austin
07-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Larry Brown is a good coach. But he's a piece of shit, too. I feel bad for Detroit. They deserve better than this. And they definitely deserve better than Flip Saunders.

Laimbeer, anyone? I wonder if this is why he told Isiah last week he wasn't interested in the NY job.

Pistons < Spurs
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/4737639/detail.html

"Brown Out As Pistons Coach
Sources Say Brown Will Take One-Year Break From Coaching

POSTED: 2:47 pm EDT July 18, 2005
UPDATED: 3:04 pm EDT July 18, 2005

Sources told Local 4 on Monday afternoon that Larry Brown is out as Pistons coach.

Brown reportedly accepted a buyout deal from the team and will take a year off from coaching basketball.

Brown (pictured, left) is then expected to coach the New York Knicks upon his return, according to the station's reports.

Pistons officials had spoken numerous times with Brown, 64, since he checked out of the Minnesota Mayo Clinic earlier this month.

The morning after the NBA draft, Brown was hospitalized for two days to address a medical problem that developed from complications following hip surgery in November and did not go away after a second procedure in March.

Brown signed a five-year contract with the Pistons worth about $25 million, plus incentive bonuses, two years ago.

A source told Smilovitz that the Pistons players were upset with Brown most of the season for his lack of loyalty to the team when he was apparently seeking other jobs. Another source said Owner Bill Davidson has had enough with Brown's "off-court antics" and that a buyout could be in the works, said Smilovitz.

Brown has expressed interest in coaching with the New York Knicks, who are waiting for a new head coach, Local 4 reported. Cleveland Cavaliers owner and local businessman Dan Gilbert said his organization spoke to Brown in June about becoming Cleveland's president of basketball operations when the Pistons' season ended.

In 2004, Brown became the first coach to win NBA and NCAA championships when the Pistons won the NBA Finals. Brown won the college title with Kansas in 1988.

The Pistons came up short in their bid to repeat this season, losing to San Antonio in Game 7 of the NBA Finals last month.

Stay with Bernie Smilovitz, Local 4 Sports and ClickOnDetroit.com for the latest development."

1Parker1
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
LB better not even sniff another head coaching job or else he'll feel the full wrath of Detroit Piston fans everywhere.

Yep. And I still don't understand Larry's constant need to change teams. If this is due to health problems then that's fine. But if he switches teams and decides to coach Knicks or Cavs or whoever, then that's just wrong. Especially since the Pistons are a great team, he has a good chance of winning a championship with them, and they supposedly have great chemistry...so there should be no reason for him to be wanting to coach another team in the first place.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
bill lambieer wants to stay coaching the detroit shock

HB22inSA
07-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Well, well, well...saw this one coming.

Bandit2981
07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
if larry does return to coaching, i hope his visit to the Palace is televised nationally :)

Vashner
07-18-2005, 03:31 PM
hahahahah Larry makes out like a bandit..

If I had severance check like that OMG.. must be a few cool million check..

You know he's accomplished a lot and should worry about just enjoying life for a while.

Marklar MM
07-18-2005, 03:32 PM
if larry does return to coaching, i hope his visit to the Palace is televised nationally :)

I would really wonder what it would be. Cheers, Boos, or a mixture of both.

Marklar MM
07-18-2005, 03:32 PM
hahahahah Larry makes out like a bandit..

If I had severance check like that OMG.. must be a few cool million check..

You know he's accomplished a lot and should worry about just enjoying life for a while.

That and he has a freakin hot wife.

AI-square
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I think the ending of this saga will do the Pistons a lot of good. They can put all their attention on doing what they do best - playing basketball.

No matter who comes into this job, I don't think he can screw up too badly with this kind of line-up. But if he is incompetent, it may shift the balance of power in the East towards Miami or Indiana.

itzsoweezee
07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
pistons wussed out. how bi*ch-made of the pistons to pay out this chump. i love it.

boutons
07-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Pocketing $18M for doin' nuthin.

What was $$$ of the NJ buyout of Dikembe's contract?

Spurologist
07-18-2005, 04:27 PM
bill lambieer wants to stay coaching the detroit shock

He wanted to coach the sonics. So much for that idea.

Pistonfan1
07-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Well thanks for the memories Larry. And better yet were replacing him with a playoff loser and overrated scumbag i hate in Flip Saunders most likely!!!!!!!!

Pistons < Spurs
07-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Well thanks for the memories Larry. And better yet were replacing him with a playoff loser and overrated scumbag i hate in Flip Saunders most likely!!!!!!!!

better learn to deal with it!!!

Flip will be fine. He will actually help us out quite a bit offensively. No more scoring slumps hopefully. :fro

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2005, 04:34 PM
pistons<spurs, you are taking this wayyyyy too well man...

this coach has taken your team to back-to-back finals
remember what happened last time a team fired their coach who took them to back-to-back finals?

Your team is the shit, the 2nd best in the league, but that coach is as big a part as the team as billups or bbwbwbwwwallllace

flip is a born loser....he had one of teh most gifted power fowards of all time, a reborn sam cassell, and depth, and he still couldnt do shit

Pistons < Spurs
07-18-2005, 05:59 PM
pistons<spurs, you are taking this wayyyyy too well man...

LOL!!!

this coach has taken your team to back-to-back finals
remember what happened last time a team fired their coach who took them to back-to-back finals?

LB is great. He did a good job. But I personally feel that Carlisle or any quality coach could have gotten us to the promised land. We made it twice to the ECF without him, and were just a few step away. If Carlisle had Sheed, or anyone other than Curry and Uncle Cliffy..he could have won it for us. And I think too much credit is taken away from the team, and given to LB. We have a bunch of dedicated, self motivators who will succeed under any coach.

flip is a born loser....he had one of teh most gifted power fowards of all time, a reborn sam cassell, and depth, and he still couldnt do shit

I think Flip ... (and KG) get a bad rap from alot of ppl. Flip had no one on that team till they got Cassell and Spree. In fact, the team has never helped Flip in acquiring quality players. They haven't even had many draft choices to deal with (only one 1st round pick (2003 highschooler Ndudi Ebi) since Wally in 99'.) I think He has done a great job with that team. Everyone talks about only making out of the first rouind once....but achievemnet only happened after they got him some real players. He made a group of not so good players and one superstar into a very competitive winning orginization.

Plus it's not like he was coaching in the East all those years. He had to face the hey-day of the Lakers, the current Spurs run, the tail end of the Jazz w/ Malone & Stockton, the hight of the Kings making a run for it, and even the solid years of the Mavs. It's not too suprising that a sub-par group matched w/ KG should lose in the 1st round.

Our group of guys will not suddenly stop playing D because we have Flip. They know what got them to the Finals, and will continue to play that way. But I hope that Flip will add a few new dimensions to our offense. Too often we fell into that scoring slump. That should be a thing of the past.

More importantly, LB is way too rigid and set in his ways. He too often alienates players on his teams. I think Flipper will do a much better job of distributing minutes. Why have Arroyo, Dlefino, Darko & Dupree on the team if you never give them minutes? Flip will excell at playing these guys at their stregnths, and masking their weaknesses. Hopefully he will also be able to play Darko, and help in his development.

I'm glad this decision was finally made. This has been going on for way too long. It's been a little silly to watch it all play out in the media for the last 2 months. But at last we can move on. Hopefully we'll pick up some additions in freee agency. I fully wexpect to be in the Finals again next year. I expect to see the guys rally together to sort of prove that it was them that won a ring, and not LB.

Who knows. we'll see what happens....

Sense
07-18-2005, 06:30 PM
The fact is.... you lost a great coach, and you're not getting anything better.

You're obviously not going to get upset over it, because you're a "fan". Which is complete bs, you know you just lost your ticket to contention....bringing in another coach is not gonna guarantee anything.

You best pray.

Pistons < Spurs
07-18-2005, 06:41 PM

You're obviously not going to get upset over it, because you're a "fan". Which is complete bs, you know you just lost your ticket to contention....bringing in another coach is not gonna guarantee anything.

You best pray.

Actually most "fans" are upset by this decision. I am definelty in the minority in my thoughts. But I've been hoping for this outcome for a couple of weeks now.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2005, 06:46 PM

You best pray.

:lol exactly.

you lost a bad ass coach, no way flip saunders or anyone else is going to make u better....so any chances of returning are now reduced

cuz now you got a new coach that is going tot ake a long time to get used to the team's personal weaknesses and strengths in coaching situations

spurschick
07-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Somewhere, Carlos Delfino is dancing a jig. :elephant

Pistons < Spurs
07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Somewhere, Carlos Delfino is dancing a jig. :elephant
yep, him and Darko both. But Delfino may still be playing in a different city next year...if not Europe.

ALVAREZ6
07-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Hooray!

Fuck LB.

jochhejaam
07-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Larry Brown is a good coach. But he's a piece of shit, too. I feel bad for Detroit. They deserve better than this. And they definitely deserve better than Flip Saunders.

Laimbeer, anyone? I wonder if this is why he told Isiah last week he wasn't interested in the NY job.

No thanks, he need to prove himself somewhere, plus I don't think he can command the respect of the players.
Not enough experience.
NO!
Maybe Flip...

jochhejaam
07-18-2005, 08:41 PM
[url]"Brown Out As Pistons Coach
Sources Say Brown Will Take One-Year Break From Coaching
Brown (pictured, left) is then expected to coach the New York Knicks upon his return, according to the station's reports.
A source told Smilovitz that the Pistons players were upset with Brown most of the season for his lack of loyalty to the team when he was apparently seeking other jobs. Another source said Owner Bill Davidson has had enough with Brown's "off-court antics" and that a buyout could be in the works, said Smilovitz.
."

Larry wanted his 'dream job" so bad, the Knicks can have him.
Thanks for the championship Larry.
Too bad loyalty is a dirty word to you!
We wish you all the best with the Knicks except on game nights.
:lol

jochhejaam
07-18-2005, 08:47 PM
better learn to deal with it!!!

Flip will be fine. He will actually help us out quite a bit offensively. No more scoring slumps hopefully. :fro

The verdict is still out on Flip. He did an okay job with the Minn. that band of misfits!

I remember Coach K doing those commercials during the NBA playoffs lauding the Pistons style of play, hmmmm....

jochhejaam
07-18-2005, 08:52 PM

You best pray.

When push comes to shove it's just a game. Won't be doin' any prayin' about a coach or game at anytime.

Bigtime rumors in Detroit has Mark Cuban making an all out effort to sign Larry.
Larry also has some thick ties in the Phoenix area. He'd probably be a good fit with the Suns.

spurschick
07-18-2005, 09:17 PM
SportingNews.com - Sean Deveney
Pistons' engines can run without Brown
Posted: July 18, 2005

So that's it. A buyout of the remaining three years of Larry Brown's Pistons contract is in the offing, a source confirms, and it's likely he'll get just about all of the $18 million he has coming to him. Thanks for coming, enjoy the paycheck.

There are plenty of folks in Detroit who are happy to see Brown go (hello, Darko!), especially after his well-known flirtation with the Cavaliers during the postseason. But his imminent dismissal comes with a price beyond the one owner Bill Davidson will have to pay. Pistons fans know Brown is a heck of a coach, one who helped endow this team with the toughness and consistency that allowed them two trips to the Finals.

That leaves the Pistons in a be-careful-what you-wish-for situation: Now that Brown is gone, the success that accompanied him is no longer guaranteed, certainly not with the Pacers and Cavaliers both vastly improved. Still, Pistons fans should rest easy. This team will keep chugging, even without Brown on the sideline.

When Brown left Philadelphia in 2003, the Sixers went from 48 wins to 33. Those who remember Brown as the guy who last led the Clippers to the playoffs, thanks to a 41-win year in 1993, also know that the Clippers went on to win just 34 games over the next two seasons once Brown left.

But that's not always the case. The Pacers, without Brown, went from 39 wins to 58 in the 1997-98 season, and made it to the NBA Finals two years later. San Antonio was 21-17 when Brown left in 1992, and finished 26-18 under Bob Bass --the Spurs got better. They won 49 games the following year, despite enduring the Jerry Tarkanian (9-11 as Spurs coach) experiment.

Though Brown carries a reputation as a quick-fix master, the fix does not necessarily disappear once he leaves. That's the first reason Pistons fans should not worry about his departure.

The second reason is his replacement. With "95 percent certainty," says one general manager, that replacement will be ex-Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders.

Saunders must be licking his chops. Defensively, he showed himself to be innovative in Minnesota, quickly employing zone defenses to his advantage before other coaches caught on. And he had just two real defenders to use -- Kevin Garnett and Trenton Hassell (a slowed-down version of Latrell Sprewell also helped) -- but still got the Timberwolves to be a credible defensive bunch. They were seventh in the league in defense in 2003-04.

Give Saunders the tough, long-armed lineup of Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Richard Hamliton and Chauncey Billups, and he will surely produce a stifling defensive scheme that will keep the Pistons in the top three in defense.

What will be most interesting is how Saunders configures the offense. In Minnesota, he tended to run things through the high post, a natural decision when you have Garnett. He ran a very creative offense off Garnett, adept at getting the ball to Sprewell (3-pointers) and Sam Cassell (mid-range jumpers) for open looks in their comfort zones. Rasheed Wallace is not Garnett, of course, but he is a good enough passer and shooter to allow Saunders to lean on that setup from time to time.

The bulk of the offense still will be carried by the backcourt of Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton, but Saunders is the kind of coach who delights in adding surprise wrinkles on the fly. At the very least, he would make the Pistons a more varied team at the offensive end.

But the biggest impact Saunders could have on the Pistons would be the reserve crew. Saunders did a terrific job in Minnesota of getting production from bargain-basement spare parts. He turned Hassell and Fred Hoiberg from Bulls castoffs to productive players. He made Mark Madsen a key contributor. He prodded a career year out of Troy Hudson.

The Pistons bench took the brunt of the criticism for the team's failings last year, but that was, in part, Brown's fault. The reserves have potential.

Darko Milicic, of course, hardly ever removed his warm-ups under Brown. Carlos Delfino, who had injury problems, was later alienated by Brown. Carlos Arroyo, too, had problems playing for Brown. Ronald Dupree can -- and should --play. Rookie Jason Maxiell looks like he could be an instant-offense player off the bench.

Of those five players, at least two should get some significant minutes with bench veterans Antonio McDyess and Lindsey Hunter.

The Pistons probably will take a slight step backward next regular season while they adjust to the new guy, presumably Saunders. With the Pacers carrying that lean and hungry look, Detroit probably won't repeat as the Central champ. But the Pistons should have their act together by the postseason, and by that time, they should have a defense just as good as the one under Brown, with an improved offense and a deeper bench. That would make them the favorites to win the East for the third straight year.

Brown may be gone. But Pistons fans should not worry.

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 11:03 PM
The Pistons are no longer championship contenders with this decision. Brown has made every team he coached overachieve. This is it. Flip would be the worse decision of all the coaches. Detroit should've gone after Phil.

AFE7FATMAN
07-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Bob Hill is better than Flip Sanders

Sense
07-19-2005, 12:54 AM
When push comes to shove it's just a game. Won't be doin' any prayin' about a coach or game at anytime.

Bigtime rumors in Detroit has Mark Cuban making an all out effort to sign Larry.
Larry also has some thick ties in the Phoenix area. He'd probably be a good fit with the Suns.

Sure you a fan?

Vashner
07-19-2005, 02:29 AM
I bet DET hires Pat Riley....

jochhejaam
07-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Sure you a fan?

:lol Yes, I am a big fan, since the Dave Bing, Bob Lanier era. Watching the Pistons is as good as it gets (Ohio State football ranks right up there).
It has never occured to me to pray for a win, I don't think God cares one way or the other who wins a basketball game. He's got more important requests being sent His way.

Thanks,
Christian Marlowe

MaNuMaNiAc
07-19-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm sorry, but the Pistons are through! No Larry Brown, no more Pistons in the finals! THANK GOD!

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2005, 07:40 AM
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

1Parker1
07-19-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry, but the Pistons are through! No Larry Brown, no more Pistons in the finals! THANK GOD!

:rolleyes. First, they play in the weak East. Second, they still have the experience to make it to the Finals and still be a contender. Third, they still have the same starting 5 and bench that they've had the past two seasons. It may be a little harder for them without LB and adjusting to a new coach, but in no way are the Pistons out of the running. :rolleyes

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2005, 06:16 PM
DETROIT (AP) -- Larry Brown is out as coach of the Detroit Pistons.

Brown and the Pistons reached a settlement on the final three years of his contract, Pistons spokesman Matt Dobek said Tuesday.

The team didn't want the Hall of Fame coach back and had offered a payoff, Brown's agent, Joe Glass, said Tuesday.

Brown is now free to coach another team next season, Dobek said. He declined to provide other details.

Brown checked into the Mayo Clinic earlier this month to undergo tests and address a medical problem that developed from complications following hip surgery in November and didn't go away after a second procedure in March.

Throughout the season, Brown insisted he would return to coach the Pistons if doctors deemed him healthy enough and stuck with his stance during recent interviews with The Associated Press.

Brown guided the Pistons to the NBA championship in 2004, and came one victory away from repeating this year.

Sense
07-19-2005, 06:43 PM
:lol Yes, I am a big fan, since the Dave Bing, Bob Lanier era. Watching the Pistons is as good as it gets (Ohio State football ranks right up there).
It has never occured to me to pray for a win, I don't think God cares one way or the other who wins a basketball game. He's got more important requests being sent His way.

Thanks,
Christian Marlowe

You don't know sarcasm.

Spursdaone
07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Detroit is done in my opinion. I think Flip is one of the coaches that Detroit wants to avoid. The players on Minnesota showed no respect for him and his substitutions are questionable. The players are the same but the plays are different which make a difference. At least Darko might get some minutes this year.

jochhejaam
07-19-2005, 08:20 PM
You don't know sarcasm.

It's seriously hard to pick up voice inflection in transcript.
If I'm unfortunate enough to have you comment on one of my posts in the future I'll assume you're being sarcastic. :lol

jochhejaam
07-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Detroit is done in my opinion. I think Flip is one of the coaches that Detroit wants to avoid. The players on Minnesota showed no respect for him and his substitutions are questionable. The players are the same but the plays are different which make a difference. At least Darko might get some minutes this year.

Sprewell rarely shows anyone respect and Garnett's and Casell's vocabulary consists of profanities, epithets, and vulgarities with an occasion pronoun or verb thrown in. It's not always possible to get someones respect. Cassell and Spree? It would be horrible to try to coach those guys. No win situation there for Flip.

sickdsm
07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Remember, Flip had player control all these years. He PERSONANLLY gave the ok to let Billups and BJackson walk. He cares about scoring. Your offense has to revolve around disiipline. Which i'm sure everyone EXCEPT rasheed will take to it. I personally don't see Rasheed setting backpicks, swinging the ball, fake picks, etc.. w/out bitching once in a while. Remember, LB has dealt with guys like Rasheed, AI. Flip tries to be your buddy. He doesn't know how to yell, motivate, etc.. like Pop or LB did. That won't work with a guy like rasheed. Delfino will have a somewhat breakout year. But you better hope that the players police themselves on defense or phrases like 3-2 shifting zone, 2-3 zone, outrebounded, and coast to coast will pollute the minds of piston fans this year.

Marklar MM
07-19-2005, 10:34 PM
You can always enlist the help of defensive minded assistant coaches if we do hire Flip. Anyway, Phil Jackson is overrated in my book.

jochhejaam
07-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Remember, Flip had player control all these years. He PERSONANLLY gave the ok to let Billups and BJackson walk. He cares about scoring. Your offense has to revolve around disiipline. Which i'm sure everyone EXCEPT rasheed will take to it. I personally don't see Rasheed setting backpicks, swinging the ball, fake picks, etc.. w/out bitching once in a while. Remember, LB has dealt with guys like Rasheed, AI. Flip tries to be your buddy. He doesn't know how to yell, motivate, etc.. like Pop or LB did. That won't work with a guy like rasheed. Delfino will have a somewhat breakout year. But you better hope that the players police themselves on defense or phrases like 3-2 shifting zone, 2-3 zone, outrebounded, and coast to coast will pollute the minds of piston fans this year.

Rasheed is well known throughout the league for being a team player, well liked by coaches and teammates alike.
I watched almost of the Pistons games this year and I never saw LB yell at Rasheed. That yelling thing can backfire on the wrong player, you don't have to yell to be a good coach. Ever see Pop yell at Tim?

AlamoSpursFan
07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Ever see Pop yell at Tim?

Yes we have. Quite often as a matter of fact. Your point?

sickdsm
07-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Idiot, my point was that those guys KNOW when to yell. Flip lets the star dictate the team. Who's the star of that team? We're still deciding.

Team player, scheme player. He's not much different than a randy moss or a sprewell. Its all fun when they're winning but if your losing, he's going to want the balll. Flips system revolves around lots of passing and basically EVERYONE do things to get others shots. Rasheed wouldn't block or run fake routes if he was in football either.

jochhejaam
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Idiot, my point was that those guys KNOW when to yell. Flip lets the star dictate the team. Who's the star of that team? We're still deciding.

Team player, scheme player. He's not much different than a randy moss or a sprewell. Its all fun when they're winning but if your losing, he's going to want the balll. Flips system revolves around lots of passing and basically EVERYONE do things to get others shots. Rasheed wouldn't block or run fake routes if he was in football either.

Carlisle is another sucessful coach who doesn't feel the need to yell at his players in order to motivate them or get them to follow directions.

As I stated earlier, Rasheed is known as a team player and will do what's best for the team. If anything Rasheed may try to hard to get teammates into the game who don't have his offensive skills, he's never been a ball hog.
In other words, you don't know Jack about Rasheed!

Yelling isn't required to get someone to follow directions but there is a time for yelliing... :idiot :lol

sickdsm
07-20-2005, 06:37 PM
but there is a time for yelliing..

Remember these words?

FLIP DOESN"T EVER YELL!!!!

Yelling isn't required to get someone to follow directions but there is a time for yelliing...

Basically what i just said. You do realize that while Pop screams at Parker, he very seldom did anything to rasho or hedo? Players tune someone out that yellls all the time. Just the same as they tune someone out that never does. Players do what they want to do. Cassell stated thats why they had such success in '04 bc they did there own thing, disregarding the coach.