PDA

View Full Version : Last minute shots Spurs vs Heat (tha system failed)

Darius McCrary
07-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Just started a thread wanting a picture. Made me realize.....

Spurs went out of their way to play last second shots within the system, ie perfectly. Last minute it resulted in Parker not coming close to being physical with Allen. Then you go on the other side and look at Bosh. Now, I will never call what he did a foul. Ever. But Bosh crushed Danny, and Danny shriveled.

I think theres a very different sentiment going on in these moments that had an influence in the last important games of the finals.

I have already admitted Heat were superior, but I only started this thread because I have not seen any one similar started. The 2013 Finals were the most pro-spurs called finals in Spurs finals history, tbh.

But the game changed during crunch time.

Did the Spurs system screw them in final moments? We played those final shot clock seconds the way you play a normal shot. But the Heat played them like they wanted to kick our asses.

Thoughts?

Darius McCrary
07-09-2013, 12:52 AM
If Parker pushes Ray Allen with his hand, does Allen miss? (maybe)
Is it called a foul? (Not if the series is called the way we all knew it was?)

These are the things we'll wonder forever.

Marrow
07-09-2013, 01:04 AM
you must be one of those people who continuoulsy picks at their scabs...just let the wound heal already

Keepin' it real
07-09-2013, 01:21 AM
you must be one of those people who continuoulsy picks at their scabs...just let the wound heal already

Games 6 will be talked about for years to come. That's how epic the game was.

HI-FI
07-09-2013, 01:40 AM

yep. as unhealthy as it is for us to not let it go, we will be reminded about it for a long time. sounds like even Bill Simmons is still trying to make sense of it. to have something so close....

Best is to try to make sense of it and hope the powers that be have learned from it.

I read an older interview with Pop where he said he thought he lost the team after the 2006 debacle, and how he thought about retiring at that moment. However, he stuck around, they re-calibrated and won the following year. Of course we ain't won shit since then....but the point is that there is a precedent of learning from a crushing defeat.

Marrow
07-09-2013, 01:44 AM

Definetly agree, one of the greatest finals games I've witnessed...

the spurs are who they are because of their system, they are consistent and always contending because of their system. To abandon the very "way" in which you get to the finals almost seems counter productive. Yes, it didn't yield the result we were all hoping for, however, it's there to eliminate some of the unkown possibilities that can occur at any time, in any game. This is the main reason why "role" players flourish with the spurs, they're allowed to focus solely on the task at hand while leaving the rest to the system.

Johnny RIngo
07-09-2013, 01:45 AM
I read an older interview with Pop where he said he thought he lost the team after the 2006 debacle, and how he thought about retiring at that moment. However, he stuck around, they re-calibrated and won the following year. Of course we ain't won shit since then....but the point is that there is a precedent of learning from a crushing defeat.

Pop's last great year as coach was '05. '06 was all-time level bad and he got lucky in '07 with the suspensions.

KaiRMD1
07-09-2013, 01:55 AM
To be honest, I've never understood this whole "Spurs system" belief since no analyst understands what the system is. They all say it's about him having other guys ready, playing smaller minutes for key guys, sitting out players, defense, no one knows. It's almost as if the system is a myth to the majority of the NBA.......to all except Gregg Poppovich. I'm sure the ol' sport knows what he is doing but this year, it may have backfired. After all, you can't repeat the past ol' sport.....

DesignatedT
07-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Playing in game 7 of the NBA Finals. Yeah, that's system backfiring alright.

crc21209
07-09-2013, 02:17 AM
I recently re-watched the final minutes of Game 6 the other day on YouTube for the first time since the Finals ended. I know...why right? But what really sucks is that when the Spurs were up 5 and LeBron missed his first 3 point attempt he didn't only miss, he missed HORRIBLY. It didn't even hit rim and it came off the backboard hard to which Kawhi had a hand on it and then Diaw kind of tipped it also which knocked it loose to Mike Miller who then shoveled it back to LeBron for the 3. This is the possession that hurt the most to me. The next possession the rebound clearly came to Bosh, so that one didnt bother me as much as the LeBron brick that Kawhi or Diaw should've rebounded....:depressed

spursince#99
07-09-2013, 03:15 AM
I recently re-watched the final minutes of Game 6 the other day on YouTube for the first time since the Finals ended. I know...why right? But what really sucks is that when the Spurs were up 5 and LeBron missed his first 3 point attempt he didn't only miss, he missed HORRIBLY. It didn't even hit rim and it came off the backboard hard to which Kawhi had a hand on it and then Diaw kind of tipped it also which knocked it loose to Mike Miller who then shoveled it back to LeBron for the 3. This is the possession that hurt the most to me. The next possession the rebound clearly came to Bosh, so that one didnt bother me as much as the LeBron brick that Kawhi or Diaw should've rebounded....:depressed

I saw that too, but at that particular time, who knows what would've happened on that next possession, well we didn't until it happened, and we were still up. :depressed

therealtruth
07-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Definetly agree, one of the greatest finals games I've witnessed...

the spurs are who they are because of their system, they are consistent and always contending because of their system. To abandon the very "way" in which you get to the finals almost seems counter productive. Yes, it didn't yield the result we were all hoping for, however, it's there to eliminate some of the unkown possibilities that can occur at any time, in any game. This is the main reason why "role" players flourish with the spurs, they're allowed to focus solely on the task at hand while leaving the rest to the system.

We abandoned the system for games 6-7 anyway. 13 APG? That's now how we won during the season.

Darius McCrary
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Exactly. Lebron is a legit choke artist, but Spurs out-did him by choking more and giving him another chance to hit a three. No way a player of his caliber misses 2. He ends up looking clutch instead, and no one will remember that first brick.